New Acoustic tune / first mix... Comments please on mix

Author
nbnspire
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 131
2005/03/14 09:42:37 (permalink)

New Acoustic tune / first mix... Comments please on mix

Hey folks. I recorded this guy Saturday, and I think he has a really nice song and voice. This is just a first mix of it, and I realize there is a little too much verb on his vocal and the guitars need a little level adjustment, but what do you think.

If you're interested, here are some details. The guy wanted to record his vocals and acoustic at the same time, he really wanted to "feel the groove", so I set him up with a rhode NT1000 on the acsoutic (a Taylor something), and an AudioTechnica condenser (a 3035, I think) on his vox, and just let the two bleed. I had to do some phase inversion on the vocal mic, but I thought the technique turned out pretty well. I then setup the "lead" acoustic player in the other room with 3 mics on his acoustic (a Taylor 314CE through a CAD cardoid condensor, and a matched pair of small cardoid condensors (Superlux (yeah cheap mics, but they sounded decent)). I setup a click track for them and hit record, and this is what came out of 1 take. They were both happy with it, so we kept it. 1 take and that's all. He recorded 10 songs this way in about 4 hours, most were 1 take.

Take a listen and please critique. I can't do anything about the song, but I'll pass on any info you may have for him. I'd appreciate comments on the mix.

http://www.nspirestudio.com/songs.html
Thanks,
Nelson
post edited by nbnspire - 2005/03/14 10:39:46

Nelson Benton
www.nspirestudio.com

12 Replies Related Threads

ed_mcg
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2741
    RE: New Acoustic tune / first mix... Comments please on mix 2005/03/14 11:29:35 (permalink)
    Nelson,
    I agree, good song and nice voice. What kind of treatment did you do on the voice?

Only mix comments are on the lead guitar - it sounds to much to the left, a little delay spreading to the left would be nice; also a little volume envelop would be nice, push it down a little during the vox and let it up during the fills and solo fade.

Very nice clean sound.
    nbnspire
    RE: New Acoustic tune / first mix... Comments please on mix 2005/03/14 11:42:24 (permalink)
    Thanks Ed for the comments. The vox just has a VERY short Reverb (Waves True-Verb starting with the "STUDIO A" preset and tweaking a bit), but I think the additional reverb is coming from the extra verb on the guitar tracks. I did process the vocal quite a bit with EQ and Compression, but I had to in order to get it to seperate from the guitar since they were both recorded at the same time and the bleed over. I rolled everything off below about 1K on the vox and allowed the vox on the guitar track to kinda fill it up, but that also accomplished a lot in the ways of getting rid of the guitar on the vox track which allowed me to add some compression and bring it up a bit without affecting the guitar too much. I actually tried playing with moving the lead guitar to the left a tad, but didn't like it, however I didn't try using a delay to do it. I'll try that and see how it goes.

Thanks again.

Nelson

errrr, wait a minute...the lead guitar is on the right isn't it??? Don't tell me I've got my ears on backwards again. <G>
    post edited by nbnspire - 2005/03/14 11:45:21

Nelson Benton
    www.nspirestudio.com
    danhazer
    Max Output Level: -54.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2053
    RE: New Acoustic tune / first mix... Comments please on mix 2005/03/14 11:47:27 (permalink)
    Login Message<< Older Topic Newer Topic >>

Very decent song and the guy has a nice voice.

I think the panning of the guitars is too separate and slightly disconcerting to listen to. I'd bring them back towards the center or using reverb, allow the wet signal into the other channel for fullness. I think the voice needs to be warmed up - to thin - maybe out of phase, can't tell for sure.

Nice work,

Dan Monaghan
    ed_mcg
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2741
    RE: New Acoustic tune / first mix... Comments please on mix 2005/03/14 11:53:37 (permalink)
    it sounds to much to the left ...
    the lead guitar is on the right isn't it??? Don't tell me I've got my ears on backwards again. <G>
    You're correct. I meant my other left, the one on the right side.
    nbnspire
    RE: New Acoustic tune / first mix... Comments please on mix 2005/03/14 11:54:10 (permalink)
    think the panning of the guitars is too separate and slightly disconcerting to listen to. I'd bring them back towards the center or using reverb, allow the wet signal into the other channel for fullness. I think the voice needs to be warmed up - to thin - maybe out of phase, can't tell for sure.

I'll work on getting the guitars (especially the lead) back towards center, (I'll definitely try the reverb thing), the voice may be thin because I did roll off a ton on the eq low end. There were some definite phase issues going on because of the way it was recorded, but I thought I had gotten atleast somewhat close to eliminating the phase. Actually all I did was reversed the phase on the vocal mic, I may try shifting it a bit instead. Would you recommend that or not? Honestly it's the first time I've tried to record this way, so it's new to me. Maybe it's just the low end not being there and I can add a little of that back and warm it up.

Thanks again for your comments and advice...I appreciate it.

NB

Nelson Benton
    www.nspirestudio.com
    pilfa
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 410
    RE: New Acoustic tune / first mix... Comments please on mix 2005/03/14 12:06:32 (permalink)
    only listening on head phones. Like the guys vocals. Nice clear acoustic guitar.
    danhazer
    Max Output Level: -54.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2053
    RE: New Acoustic tune / first mix... Comments please on mix 2005/03/14 12:14:27 (permalink)
    I did was reversed the phase on the vocal mic, I may try shifting it a bit instead. Would you recommend that or not? Honestly it's the first time I've tried to record this way, so it's new to me. Maybe it's just the low end not being there and I can add a little of that back and warm it up.

I couldn't tell if it was a phase issue or an EQ thing (I should have trusted my ear - it was saying EQ), but now that you described your EQ'ing, it's probably just a matter of warming them up that way.

Thanks,

Dan Monaghan
    kiwisdontdrinktea
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 567
    RE: New Acoustic tune / first mix... Comments please on mix 2005/03/14 12:39:51 (permalink)
    Hi Ron,

I did not like the accoustic guitar sound. As it is the only intsrument I thought it has too many highs and not enough warmth. Just IMHO OK. This is the Taylor sound though and it may be how your man is strumming, not bringing in the lower strings? Maybe it's teh verb doing that, I don't know. Something I tried on one of my songs once was to play the same part twice with emphasis on the lower two strings in one part and the higher 4 in the other part and then mix the two tracks together at different volume to get the right amount of body. Of course you know my accosutic setup isn't ideal. Just my 2cts.

She done stole my song - Otis Redding

http://www.beatkiwi.com
    nbnspire
    RE: New Acoustic tune / first mix... Comments please on mix 2005/03/14 12:43:38 (permalink)
    I definitely think it is an EQ thing, although I wouldn't discount the phase issue completely. I'll try to give a little back on the lows and see how it comes out. I'm a little unsure about how to get the reverbs over to the other side, are you saying just pan the reverb opposite (or atleast in the opposite direction not necessarily all the way opposite). The reason I seperated everything was to kinda fill up the stereo field. With ounly one rhythm and one lead It quickly became unbalanced or "mono-sounding" by bringing things toward center. I would love trying to get the delay or reverb moving center or opposite, I'll just have to figure it out.

Thanks,
    Nelson

Nelson Benton
    www.nspirestudio.com
    nbnspire
    RE: New Acoustic tune / first mix... Comments please on mix 2005/03/14 12:52:47 (permalink)
    Hi Ron,

First of all, how'd you know my name was Ron? <g> It really is my first name...well atleast part of my first name. I actually went and looked at my profile to make sure I hadn't put it in there....weird..

I did not like the accoustic guitar sound. As it is the only intsrument I thought it has too many highs and not enough warmth. Just IMHO OK. This is the Taylor sound though and it may be how your man is strumming, not bringing in the lower strings? Maybe it's teh verb doing that, I don't know. Something I tried on one of my songs once was to play the same part twice with emphasis on the lower two strings in one part and the higher 4 in the other part and then mix the two tracks together at different volume to get the right amount of body. Of course you know my accosutic setup isn't ideal. Just my 2cts.

I understand your thoughts, but I kinda like the lighter (more pick) sound. Plus it keeps me from allowing things to get muddy !<g> Like I said earlier, it was done in one take, so there was no double tracking done. If it's a big enough issue, it could possibly be done later (much later) though.

Thanks for listening.

NB

Nelson Benton
    www.nspirestudio.com
    kiwisdontdrinktea
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 567
    RE: New Acoustic tune / first mix... Comments please on mix 2005/03/14 14:40:19 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: nbnspire

Hi Ron,

First of all, how'd you know my name was Ron? <g> It really is my first name...well atleast part of my first name. I actually went and looked at my profile to make sure I hadn't put it in there....weird..

NB

Funny! It's not really your name is it? I just wanted to call you that, no reason really!

She done stole my song - Otis Redding

http://www.beatkiwi.com
    nbnspire
    RE: New Acoustic tune / first mix... Comments please on mix 2005/03/14 15:00:05 (permalink)
    Yes it is...REALLY. My first name is Ronald. That's why I thought it so strange. <g>

Nelson Benton
    www.nspirestudio.com
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1