New Comer....

Author
patmc007
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 123
2012/01/18 10:09:32 (permalink)

New Comer....

Hello All,

Our song writing team has to come to grips with the reality that we have the ability and desire to write music, but no talent or skill to play, sing and record it.  It is frustrating because to date, there is no way for us to explain to a talented musician what songs we hear in our heads.  We simply have to record it ourselves.  So, thanks to Cakewalk and a bunch of other equipment, we've muddled together a few recordings to date.  These are miles from being radio ready, but we really wanted to share them with somebody.  And the folks in the Cakewalk forum family have been very patient, kind and understanding to our technical questions so far, perhaps we can draw some constructive comments (and maybe even a little praise:-) in that same spirit.

So, if you are so inclined, we are located here: www.soundcloud.com/patmc007

If you are so inclinded to listen, we thank you for that.  All of our songs are copyrighted, but if you like something you hear and think you can produce it better, please don't hesitate to contact us at viamusic@hotmail.com.

Thanks!

Patrick
Via

www.soundcloud.com/patmc007

Sonar X3 Producer
Lexicon Lambda Pro Audio Interface
M-Audio Keystation Mini 32 Midi Controller
Korg nanoPAD 2
MXL 990 Microphone
Roland D-50 Linear Synth
A Wing
A Prayer

"The music I conjure up in my head and the music I generate on my computer are seldom the same.  But it is my goal for them to be so."

14 Replies Related Threads

Lynn
    Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6117
    Re:New Comer.... 2012/01/18 11:07:23 (permalink)
    I just listened to the first two songs, and I came to the same conclusion for both.  They have plenty of potential, but the mixes are so drowning in reverb that they are muddy.  The second song I listened to had a guitar that was out of tune and a lot of background hiss, so much that it sounded like it was recorded on a cassette instead of a computer.  There really is no excuse for this in the age of computers, so you are doing something fundamentally wrong, imo.  It sounded like some of my early recordings when I put the mic too far from the source.  It's hard to tell you how to fix it without knowing what gear you used or how it was recorded.  Perhaps, just try remixing them without the reverb for a dry, in your face kind of sound, and maybe that will help.  Don't despair about your skill set, that will come with experience.  Best of luck.

All the best,
    Lynn

my songs
    www.soundclick.com/lynnwilson

www.youtube.com/lywilson
    my videos

Cakewalk by Bandlab| Sonar Platinum @ 64bits| i7 860 | 8 gigs ram | W10 @ 64 bits | RME FF 400
    patmc007
    Re:New Comer.... 2012/01/18 11:51:15 (permalink)
    Lynn, thanks for the comments.  I should have been clearer that only three of the songs currently posted are done with Cakewalk (It's Christmas / Bond 77 / The Great Escape).  A credit to your ear, the songs you selected are recordings from 25 years ago commited to a 4 track cassette and mixed to your standard Maxell.  We intend to re-record these using Music Creator 6.  But again, for now, only 3 tracks are literally recorded recently.  Those mixes are hopefully more appropriate.  Unfortunately though, our singing issues become more prominent as the music improves....where does one go to learn about how to sing better and how to record voice better?

Patrick
    Via

Sonar X3 Producer
    Korg nanoPAD 2
    MXL 990 Microphone
    Roland D-50 Linear Synth
    A Wing
    A Prayer

"The music I conjure up in my head and the music I generate on my computer are seldom the same.  But it is my goal for them to be so."
    Lynn
    Re:New Comer.... 2012/01/18 13:05:24 (permalink)
    Much better.  I listened to "The Great Escape", and I really like this song.  It's still awash in reverb, but reverb is like fashion, it's in style one day and out of style the next.  I don't think that vocals are one of your issues, in fact, your voice has a Peter Gabriel quality to it.  I had a hard time hearing the bass guitar which simply may have gotten lost in the ambience of the song.  How to get better?  Just keep on writing and recording.  For me, the intense focus of being in front of a mic, and the amount of concentration it takes to get a good recording is worth its weight in gold.  Keep it up.

All the best,
    Lynn

my songs

www.youtube.com/lywilson
    my videos

Cakewalk by Bandlab| Sonar Platinum @ 64bits| i7 860 | 8 gigs ram | W10 @ 64 bits | RME FF 400
    patmc007
    Re:New Comer.... 2012/01/18 13:10:19 (permalink)
    Thanks again Lynn.  We use reverb as a crutch and perhaps its time to let that go too.  We'll take these comments to heart and keep on working.  Much appreciated!

Patrick
    Via

Sonar X3 Producer
    Korg nanoPAD 2
    MXL 990 Microphone
    Roland D-50 Linear Synth
    A Wing
    A Prayer

Lynn
    Re:New Comer.... 2012/01/18 13:16:23 (permalink)
    The reverb may or may not be a crutch.  Wait ten minutes and we'll talk about it again.
    patmc007

Thanks again Lynn.  We use reverb as a crutch and perhaps its time to let that go too.  We'll take these comments to heart and keep on working.  Much appreciated!

All the best,
    Lynn

my songs

www.youtube.com/lywilson
    my videos

darylcrowley
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2700
    Re:New Comer.... 2012/01/18 18:41:45 (permalink)
    Some nice potential, but it has all the same "beginner" issues that we all started out with.  I will (pardon the pun) echo the comments on the reverb.  Rule of thumb, use as little reverb as you can then cut it in half.

It sounds like it was recorded too hot.  Make sure your recording levels are well below 0.0, you can always pump it up later. 

Did you use an compression on this?  (That's an art in itself)

The best advice I can give is live on the forum, it is a wealth of information.  The difference between your early recordings and the ones you will do 5 years from now are very subtle, but the difference in your final product will be huge.  It's often about how little you use the effects and recording levels that make the big difference.

My only crit on the tunes I listened to is the guitar is very out of tune.  Get a GOOD quality tuner and tune constantly, staying in tune is full time job for everyone, especially guitar players.... I should know

Keep on keeping on because that's how even the best guys here got to where they are.

Daryl Crowley
    Sonica Labs I7 Quad Core -
    Windows 7 64bit Professional
    Sonar 8.5 Producer - Ozone 4
    http://www.darylcrowley.com/
    Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:New Comer.... 2012/01/18 20:47:19 (permalink)
    hi Patrick,
    I listened to The Great Escape.  I liked the song, vox are out of pitch in places, but sound good overall.  too much reverb, out of tune guitar, less space between you and the mic.

keep working on it! 

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    patmc007
    Re:New Comer.... 2012/01/18 21:36:01 (permalink)
    Hello All,

You're comments are great.  Compression is new to me, I understand in theory how and what to do, but the practical application of it seems like a job all on its own.  But I understand to keep working at it.  I promise that my next posting will follow your 'half' rule on reverb.  The newer tunes aren't using guitars yet, but when we get to re-recording the old guitar tracks, we'll work harder on keeping them in tune.

Can anyone suggest a website or book to use to learn more about audio engineerin, i.e., compression, etc.??

Patrick
    Via

Sonar X3 Producer
    Korg nanoPAD 2
    MXL 990 Microphone
    Roland D-50 Linear Synth
    A Wing
    A Prayer

Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:New Comer.... 2012/01/18 21:49:52 (permalink)
    Patrick, you can start with my website, I've got helpful info on compression, EQ and other tips there.

for "audio engineering" for beginners, I'd recommend "Home Studio Recording for Musicians for Dummies"

and yes, I understand you said you're not "real musicians" but trust me, that's a great book to start with.  lots of great info in it!

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Guitarpima
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4125
    Re:New Comer.... 2012/01/19 00:10:31 (permalink)
    I like the songs as well. Nice and well put together. You just need a lot of work on the mixing. Keep at it and read up as much as you can and you'll get better.

Notation, the original DAW. Everything else is just rote. We are who we are and no more than another. Humans, you people are crazy.

Win 7 x64  X2  Intel DX58SO, Intel i7 920 2.66ghz 12gb DDR3  ASUS ATI EAH5750  650w PSU 4x WD HDs 320gb  DVD, DVD RW Eleven Rack, KRK Rokit 8s and 10s sub
    patmc007
    Re:New Comer.... 2012/01/19 07:32:56 (permalink)
    Beagle, thanks for the book recommendation, I love those 'dummies' books.  And I will check out your website!  Sounds like exactly what I need next.  And Guitarpima....thanks for the kind words and the good advice!

Patrick
    Via

Sonar X3 Producer
    Korg nanoPAD 2
    MXL 990 Microphone
    Roland D-50 Linear Synth
    A Wing
    A Prayer

patmc007
    Re:New Comer.... 2012/01/19 09:03:36 (permalink)
    Beagle, I just spent some time on your website, specifically under the 'Recording Help'.  As a novice 'compusician', I find it very helpful and really appreciate your having taken the time.  Between your site and the 'dummies' book, I may get something radio ready quality in the near future:-)

Patrick
    Via

Sonar X3 Producer
    Korg nanoPAD 2
    MXL 990 Microphone
    Roland D-50 Linear Synth
    A Wing
    A Prayer

notnat
    Max Output Level: -23 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5236
    Re:New Comer.... 2012/01/19 10:23:35 (permalink)
    Just keep at it... you will learn and evolve...
    good luck...
    paulo
    Max Output Level: -13 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6218
    Re:New Comer.... 2012/01/22 13:29:02 (permalink)
    Hi Patrick

First off - welcome aboard. Second........ a confession .......

I first listened to a couple of your tunes here before anyone had else had commented and to be honest I bottled out and didn't say what I thought - I didn't know how to say it really. Returning now, I see that Lynn had pretty much the same thoughts as me, but wasn't such a scaredy cat about saying it. Reading on from that it seems that the tracks I listened to were in fact your old recordings - yeah, you could have been a bit clearer there. Anyway, seems like you have some good advice here already, but there's a couple of things not mentioned so far that I have found helpful in my contimuing quest to get to grips with all this stuff . One is the mixing template kindly supplied by Jonas for all us noobs. Jonas mixing template Although I don't use it exactly as is, I certainly learned a whole lot from studying it. There's also this website The recording revolution which is full of free videos giving helpful tips. He uses pro-tools software, but the ideas apply to any DAW and I find his presentation easy to follow. Aside from that, you'll learn plenty from just hanging around these parts - there are some realy helpful people here and in the other forum "rooms" who are an invaluable source of knowledge and inspiration. Not gonna name names in case I get in trouble for missing any out, but you'll soon learn who they are. I will give you this one hint.......I'm not one of them ;)

post edited by paulo - 2012/01/22 17:35:16
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1