New Cradle of Filth cover

Author
mgh
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8594
2011/10/28 10:27:50 (permalink)

New Cradle of Filth cover

Sorry not been on here much, working, about to start new job and in the middle of buying a house...so not had much listening or recording time. Anyhow had a couple of days this week so managed to get this down...cover of (in)famous UK black/gothic metal band Cradle of Filth. Some anti-Christian lyrics, so those of you who are likely to get offended, please pass on by...(assuming you can actually make them out in the heavy style!)as you may know I am a practising Catholic, so I accept these words for what they are...just words! anyhow, promise to get back to listening next week when i'm off... http://soundcloud.com/mem...he-black-goddess-rises

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd

22 Replies Related Threads

thepogue
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2458
    Re:New Cradle of Filth cover 2011/10/28 15:01:05 (permalink)
    I know..life just blows by....but anyway on to the show.... lmao....love the change up @ 1:50ish....that kit work is killer....2:40 gets sooo epic and the like "Smiths" vox i loved.... 4:50ish the lead is blazing.... wow...the ending is in yer grill...nice work... this is a huge production and tons of work it seems...great job getting all the pieces glued together. Nice job Good luck w/the house and new job! Congrats!
    zungle
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2745
    Re:New Cradle of Filth cover 2011/10/29 02:27:45 (permalink)
    Sounds cool............as always.

Are you still recording the bulk of the guitars direct?
    Bob Oister
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2766
    Re:New Cradle of Filth cover 2011/10/29 04:02:13 (permalink)
    Hey, Mark,

Dynamite job on this excellent COF cover!  I'm on my second listen. The drum programming must have been crazy on this, I really like the great sounding piano and orchestration at around 1:50, and you captured Paul Allender's thick, meaty guitar tones nicely.

Great playing and production, as always, my friend! Have a good weekend!
    Bob
    ProjectM
    Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3941
    Re:New Cradle of Filth cover 2011/10/31 10:43:56 (permalink)
    This sounds great man! Well done! Damn those guitars sound juicy! And the drums are splendid. Good stuff!

(Sonar Platinum - Win10 x64) - iMac and 13" MacBook - Logic Pro X ++ - UA Apollo Twin DUO - NI Maschine MKII - NI Komplete Kontrol S61 - Novation Nocturne - KRK Rokit 6
    Soundcloud
    Negative Vibe Records
    MetalTeK
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 199
    Re:New Cradle of Filth cover 2011/10/31 15:28:29 (permalink)
    Yep, sounds really good. Drums are nice and tight, Guits sound fat and guttural......... just the way I likes em!

batsbrew
    • Total Posts : 10037
    Re:New Cradle of Filth cover 2011/10/31 15:37:22 (permalink)
    man, this music is kicking ass, but i just absolutely have to PASS on the vox!
    sorry man, definitely is not my thing.

but a great mix all the same.

Bats Brew music Streaming
    Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

mgh
    Re:New Cradle of Filth cover 2011/11/01 06:17:23 (permalink)
    Tom - thanks for listening mate - yeah took a bit of work to get everything to gel, but i hope it's worth it... Z - yes, these guitars are direct. TBH i can't be arsed setting the mike up to record it that way, once i get to the new house and have a bit more space i can leave it permanently set up so will be easier - but i think the DI guitar sounds fine on this one anyhow... Bob - cheers, i appreciate you always take the time to post on my stuff...i don't find the drums hard too bad to programme, using the step sequencer it'll take me about an hour or so to do a song...the difficult bit is compressing/eqing the kit to make it sound half decent, i still can't quite get the kick sound i want!

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    rhynosynth
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 520
    Re:New Cradle of Filth cover 2011/11/01 08:47:33 (permalink)
    Guitars sound wicked. I think the drum programming is great. I like this style of music tho I haven't really looked into to deeply. Seems to have all the changes and unexpected turns I like in music.  Good job making it flow very well too. Song sounds cohesive and tight. Kicks A$$!
    bandontherun19
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 824
    Re:New Cradle of Filth cover 2011/11/01 17:23:44 (permalink)
    Mmmmm "Filth..." "I am a practising Catholic" I was? But I got so good at it? I didn't need to practice anymore! Grew up with it though, CCD? Kudos on your .wav Mark.

All you need is love, just ask the Beatles?
    ----------
    darylcrowley
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2700
    Re:New Cradle of Filth cover 2011/11/01 21:54:43 (permalink)
    I played this backwards and and it kept repeating scriptures.

I thought the piano and puch was kick ass.  I don't know any of this music (hey I'm an old guy)  but I like the powerful production.

Are you singing those lines straight up or using a processor.  I have a vocal processor that will make me sound like that.

The violins and piano really make this.

Daryl

Daryl Crowley
    Sonica Labs I7 Quad Core -
    Windows 7 64bit Professional
    Sonar 8.5 Producer - Ozone 4
    http://www.darylcrowley.com/
    mgh
    Re:New Cradle of Filth cover 2011/11/04 19:45:44 (permalink)
    Marius - thank ye!

MT - drums were a pain, glad it was worth it!

BB - from the king of mixes that is good news...and yeah, sorry bout the vox, you should hear the original!

Rhyno - thanks, i like twist turny proggy music in many forms too! i listened to your latest but i think i didn't comment? will have to sort that out, sorry!

Robby - cryptic as ever! yeah when i get good at being a Catholic i'll become a monk!

Daryl - yeah a lot of this music is pretty melodic and tuneful if you can get past the vocals...which is me though i do add a valve emulator with the drive up a little... thanks!

Bobby - glad for once i gave someone something useful in terms of advice! many thanks for stepping by and listening and giving a glowing review!

cheers everyone!

jamesg1213
    • Total Posts : 21760
    Re:New Cradle of Filth cover 2011/11/06 12:51:48 (permalink)
    Don't know the original (you're shocked, I know..) but I can see why you chose it for a cover. Typically epic and dramatic, you enjoyed this didn't you?

One little thing - I would liked a little more atmosphere on the intro, it seemed very dry compared to the rest of the track.

I'd like to know a little more about how you approached covering something like this, I wouldn't know where to start..

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    mgh
    Re:New Cradle of Filth cover 2011/11/06 14:19:42 (permalink)
    James - yeah the piano on the front sounds a bit naff, just my piano DI'd, but sounds fine in the rest of the track...the original is some really thin digital piano with chorus...I should add seom chorus to the start.
    As far as covering, i worked this out many years ago, but to double check i put the original on a track in Sonar, and worked out where the tempo changes occured etc...this version is slightly shorter than the original, the end is a little faster. Put down a scratch guitar track, then did the drums, then added the rest of the tracks...you and Larry must be due a release, no? 
    thanks for listening mate.

paulo
    Max Output Level: -13 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6218
    Re:New Cradle of Filth cover 2011/11/06 15:51:07 (permalink)
    I tried, but.....well ,you know by now. I guess I maybe shouldn't bother commenting, but you always make an effort to appreciate the work of others that probably isn't your thing, so I like to try and follow your example. Just can't best past them vox. However,  I did listen to the original too and I can say for sure that you did a good job with your cover.
    Danny Danzi
    • Total Posts : 5810
    Re:New Cradle of Filth cover 2011/11/06 20:12:19 (permalink)
    MGH: This is about as good as you're gonna get unless you go into a super pro studio. By far one of the best productions I've ever heard from you all across the board. I might have pulled a little 8k out of the vox a little as they seemed a bit crisp in certain sections...other times they were fine. I loved the guitars, the orchestration, the drum programming...everything was absolutely killer.

My only pet peeve...which there is only so much you can do on stuff like this, is the drum velocities. Sometimes they just sound wide open at 127 and robotic...especially toms and the double kicks. I know that this is probably more an issue of limitations due to drum software as even some real kits nearly sound robotic when things are played this fast. But me being the anal person I am with this stuff...I probably would have really messed with those velocities in some of the parts more. That's the only real issue I hear on this piece. But everything else was totally spot on man...excellent job! Man...what a production!

-Danny

My Site
    Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
    geeare1
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1906
    Re:New Cradle of Filth cover 2011/11/07 21:14:41 (permalink)
    Hi Mark,

Amazing production, playing and programming. Man, is that vocal style as rough on your throat as is sounds?

Great dynamics and atmosphere. Killer guitar solo and all around great job.

-gr

'There's two kinds of music: good and bad. I like both.' - Duke Ellington

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=943338&content=music
    Basradaem
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 422
    Re:New Cradle of Filth cover 2011/11/07 22:00:25 (permalink)
    Damn awesome job on this cover, Mark.  Crazy guitar performance and wicked tones!  Drum programming is excellent.  Overall production is awesome.

Luke Sarro
    --------------
    Sonar Platinum 64-bit on Windows 10 x64 

batsbrew
    • Total Posts : 10037
    Re:New Cradle of Filth cover 2011/11/07 22:44:21 (permalink)
    BB - from the king of mixes that is good news...and yeah, sorry bout the vox, you should hear the original! 

oh man, don't apologize for anything!

you did a killer job of that vocal, i HAVE heard the original....
    it's just not the kind of stuff i usually listen to, but i still appreciate the talent and the effort you put in on it!

an excellent project, for sure......

Bats Brew music Streaming
    Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

evadianepug
    Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4477
    Re:New Cradle of Filth cover 2011/11/08 11:01:33 (permalink)
    Definitely one you would expect the Pugs to do.  Glad you did it first!  LOL.  I always like your stuff, buddy.  It is BIG!  I don't listen to a lot of it but it sounds as well mixed as any I do hear.  I too always wondered if that hurt your voice.  It fits with the music.  Nice job.

Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed. (GK Chesterton

Warren (Pug) Willingham
    THE PUGTONES
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=919339&content=music
    SonarX3
    mgh
    Re:New Cradle of Filth cover 2011/11/09 11:05:39 (permalink)
    paulo - thanks for trying! i'm thinking the next thing i do might be more melodic...and it's about time you had something out, right? danny - when i read you comments i thought i was dreaming! coming from you it made me very happy. i agree with the drums, i do edit velocity but mostly on snare and quick repetitive toms/kicks, but i tend to think there is not enought dynamic difference between, say, 100 and 127...so maybe i need to get wider ranges going. anyway, cheers! gary- yes, i have a sore throat for the rest of the day....dunno how these guys who do it live manage! thanks for the kind comments. luke - thanks as well, you are prob one of the few people who may know the original! bb- one of the best things about this forum, we all listen outside our 'normal' stuff and it makes us better musicians i think warren - oh yeah the Pugs would have done a better job than me...well, it would have had real bass anyways! welcome back!

Guitarpima
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4125
    Re:New Cradle of Filth cover 2011/11/09 13:36:54 (permalink)
    Everything sounds great! Who knows what the lyrics are but I probably would not like them and I'm a recovering catholic. I'm not into this style either but this is one smokin track.

Very well done!

Notation, the original DAW. Everything else is just rote. We are who we are and no more than another. Humans, you people are crazy.

Win 7 x64  X2  Intel DX58SO, Intel i7 920 2.66ghz 12gb DDR3  ASUS ATI EAH5750  650w PSU 4x WD HDs 320gb  DVD, DVD RW Eleven Rack, KRK Rokit 8s and 10s sub
    Janet
    • Total Posts : 8094
    Re:New Cradle of Filth cover 2011/11/09 21:01:55 (permalink)
    Yeah, I'm sure you could guess this isn't my style either, but I can sure appreciate the work that went into this.  It sounds like it hurts to sing that way.  
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1