New DAW PC Build- feedback requested and very welcome!

Author
Chazdaddy
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 215
2016/03/29 17:38:27 (permalink)

New DAW PC Build- feedback requested and very welcome!

Hello All- I am about to order the attached parts list to build a new PC for my home music studio. I have been limping along with a very old HP laptop for some time now and I cannot take it anymore. I am currently running Sonar Producer (The X series). I mainly do true audio recording with real instruments (Mic'ed Guitars, Tube Amps, Microphones, Bass, keys, drums, live vocals etc..) but I do use some VST plug- in effects on my tracks (like reverbs, echoes, mixing and mastering plug ins) and sounds via a USB keyboard. I have an external Firewire Audio Interface (Focusrite)and do not do any gaming, so the integrated cards should be OK. I already have keyboard, mouse monitors etc..

I am trying to keep this fairly budget friendly having just bought a house and built a new studio, with the potential to upgrade in the future of course. Trying to stay in the 500- 600 USD range.

Would consider it a huge favor and honor if you would review my list- any feedback welcome, I am new at this, here is the link:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/vfK63C
Thanks!!

14 Replies Related Threads

...wicked
    Max Output Level: -1.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7360
    Re: New DAW PC Build- feedback requested and very welcome! 2016/03/29 21:24:43 (permalink)
    You'd be surprised how much system resources graphics take. I'd still consider a GPU.

===========
    The Fog People
    ===========

Intel i7-4790 
    16GB RAM
    ASUS Z97 
    Roland OctaCapture
    Win10/64   

SONAR Platinum 64-bit    
    billions VSTs, some of which work    
    Chazdaddy
    Re: New DAW PC Build- feedback requested and very welcome! 2016/03/29 23:34:25 (permalink)
    Thanks wicked-I will consider, good point.

ChazDaddy
    mettelus
    Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5321
    Re: New DAW PC Build- feedback requested and very welcome! 2016/03/30 08:25:31 (permalink)
    The GPU is something you can also purchase after the fact. I have never run a machine without a dedicated GPU, so not sure what the true overhead is (SONAR is not 3D intensive, and even a GPU doesn't buy much in 2D performance). A dedicated GPU does relieve the CPU of some overhead, since the data is kicked to the GPU instead, but "how much" I am not sure of.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
    Chazdaddy
    Re: New DAW PC Build- feedback requested and very welcome! 2016/03/30 08:52:20 (permalink)
    mettelus- Thanks, I was thinking that a dedicated Graphics card would be a future potential add-on, for the same reasons you mention here, I usually configure my PC to use the most basic graphics available to save resources for audio too (looks a bit boring but I do not care so much as the DAW looks fine). I also plan to add an SSD too at some point.

ChazDaddy
    Chazdaddy
    Re: New DAW PC Build- feedback requested and very welcome! 2016/03/30 14:38:11 (permalink)
    Another question- is the i5 overkill for my needs?
    SuperG
    Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1371
    Re: New DAW PC Build- feedback requested and very welcome! 2016/03/30 23:10:11 (permalink)
    Chazdaddy
    Another question- is the i5 overkill for my needs?

I wouldn't say so, but than I'm running an i7...

laudem Deo
    Mesh
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 27360
    Re: New DAW PC Build- feedback requested and very welcome! 2016/03/31 09:20:07 (permalink)
    It might be good to thing to plan for the next 5+ years in using your new build, and get the BEST available parts (quality wise) that are within your budget. 

I also was on a budget and took my time in saving for it as I wanted a DAW that would last me at least 5-7 years (YMMV)......so far, I'm extremely happy I saved up to get the better parts (not necessarily the latest). I also have an i7 (after reading up reviews/benchmarks and on what others in here were using at the time/getting advice from everyone). If you can afford an i7, get it I say.....if not, get the best available i5. 

Platinum Gaming DAW: AsRock Z77 Overclock Formula
    I7 3770k @ 4.5GHz : 16GB RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X
    250GB OS SSD : 3TB HDD : 1TB Sample HDD
    Win 10 Pro x 64 : NH-D14 CPU Cooler 
    HIS IceQ  2GB HD 7870
    Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
    The_Forum_Monkeys
    SuperG
    Re: New DAW PC Build- feedback requested and very welcome! 2016/03/31 19:03:14 (permalink)
    Mesh
    It might be good to thing to plan for the next 5+ years in using your new build, and get the BEST available parts (quality wise) that are within your budget. 

+1 good advice

Most folks I know keep there PC's for at least 5 years. This new PC I'm using happens to replace my 5yo PC.

laudem Deo
    ricoskyl
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 327
    Re: New DAW PC Build- feedback requested and very welcome! 2016/03/31 19:37:09 (permalink)
    I think everyone's advice here is right on.  I upgraded recently to an i7 HP laptop with a touch screen.  The only regret was that I didn't pop for SSD storage.  I will probably add that (outboard), but because I often work away from the studio and I'd like to keep the footprint small, but I could have also added external HD storage and kept the SSD on the main chassis. That might have been a better choice for me.

I know this all doesn't apply directly to your situation, but I hope it helps.  Having spent considerably more on a CTO laptop, I'd be interested in hear what you end up with and how it works out for you.  You probably already know that your $ gets a lot more than it did 5 years ago.  Generally, I support Mesh and SuperG in suggesting that you avoid skimping here; even if you build a strong system today, your needs and uses for it will almost certainly increase so it';s a little like moving backward as technology advances.

If you want to make enemies, try to change something. -Woodrow T. Wilson
    Turbulence is a life force. It is opportunity. Let’s love turbulence and use it for change. -Ramsay Clark
    ----------------------
    Sonar Platinum Win 10 x64 on HP Pavilion i7 5500 12Gb RAM, Tascam US-16x08, NVidia 840 8Gb vram, Multi-Screen, Multi-Touch
    SuperG
    Re: New DAW PC Build- feedback requested and very welcome! 2016/03/31 22:35:48 (permalink)
    ricoskyl
    I think everyone's advice here is right on.  I upgraded recently to an i7 HP laptop with a touch screen.  The only regret was that I didn't pop for SSD storage.  I will probably add that (outboard), but because I often work away from the studio and I'd like to keep the footprint small, but I could have also added external HD storage and kept the SSD on the main chassis. That might have been a better choice for me.

I know this all doesn't apply directly to your situation, but I hope it helps.  Having spent considerably more on a CTO laptop, I'd be interested in hear what you end up with and how it works out for you.  You probably already know that your $ gets a lot more than it did 5 years ago.  Generally, I support Mesh and SuperG in suggesting that you avoid skimping here; even if you build a strong system today, your needs and uses for it will almost certainly increase so it';s a little like moving backward as technology advances.

Speaking of external HD's, I'm really impressed with the USB-3 Seagate Passports. Compared to USB-2 drives those little suckers are faaasst! They're small enough to fit in your pocket!

laudem Deo
    kevinwal
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1066
    Re: New DAW PC Build- feedback requested and very welcome! 2016/04/01 22:56:26 (permalink)
    I've just gotta get up to speed on the newer generation of hardware. Everything changes so fast. I will echo the other's sentiments about choosing parts. The pain you feel now with stretching the budget a little will be forgotten soon enough, but the awesomeness will go on and on and on.

Kevin Walsh
    My latest tunes are at Reverbnation, please give a listen!

EVGA X58 Classified III, 24GB Kingston RAM, i7/970 6 core
    256GB SSD, 2TB HD
    Windows 10 Build 10586, Sonar Platinum, 2016.03
    MOTU 8Pre Interface
    elegentdrum
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 26
    Re: New DAW PC Build- feedback requested and very welcome! 2016/04/02 00:19:56 (permalink)
    This is almost a repeat from another thread.
    The OS and programs should be on a Raid-0 SSD array
    Then have two 1TB spinner drives, one for samples, one for Audio.

For a single threaded program (I know Sonar is multi-threaded) The speed of a computer = (Clock/access time) - whatever load the video card dumps on the CPU.
    Since clock speeds are maxed in the 3-5 Ghz range (including overclocked machines) the best improvement is reducing the seek times with Raid-0 solid state drives. But they are still too expensive for the space needed for samples and the actual files. Sonar can be set up to use separate drives for samples and Audio. Just keep the program and OS on the main SSD's

I'm not current on mother boards, but some are better for Audio than others. I would try to find out what PC labs and other manufactures of Audio only computers are using and use that.

That seed, There are cost effective drives out there that may have reliability issues but are cost effective. 12 gigs of ram is enough, and an I5 will be enough to get going. But you should try to get a socket that can be upgraded to an I7 later. At that budget, you are better off getting faster drives and using built in vid cards. do not get a shared memory vid card. You will want all the ram for the software.

If you really don't have the budge for multiple hard drives, there are new hybrid drives with both SS and spinner in the same drive.

post edited by elegentdrum - 2016/04/02 00:47:27
    ...wicked
    Max Output Level: -1.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7360
    Re: New DAW PC Build- feedback requested and very welcome! 2016/04/02 20:20:27 (permalink)
    I would also second maybe springing for an i7 CPU. It's not much more (depending on other requirements) and the more future-proofing the better. I'm very impressed by the cost of your build though!

===========
    The Fog People
    ===========

Intel i7-4790 
    16GB RAM
    ASUS Z97 
    Roland OctaCapture
    Win10/64   

SONAR Platinum 64-bit    
    billions VSTs, some of which work    
    Starise
    Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7563
    Re: New DAW PC Build- feedback requested and very welcome! 2016/04/06 14:39:46 (permalink)
    Several reviews on the cooler master fan say  the fan can be loud. Several here are using the i5 with no worries on smaller projects.

Good idea to add the GPU if later necessary.

Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz, ASRock Extreme 4 LGA 2011-v3, 16 gig DDR4, ,
    3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 
    Laptop HP Omen i7 16gb 2/sdd with Focusrite interface.
     CbB, Studio One 4 Pro, Mixcraft 8, Ableton Live 10 

www.soundcloud.com/starise

Twitter @Rodein

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1