New Dimension Drums

Author
Frank Basile
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 466
2006/01/25 21:09:42 (permalink)

New Dimension Drums

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to let you know Smart Loops released three new professional drum sample sets for Dimension, and any other synth that uses SFZ files, including the SFZ player in Sonar... http://www.smartloops.com/products/samplesets/

These three sample sets are based on the samples from the Smart Loops Pro Drum Works loop collection. These kits are for the creation of totally realistic acoustic drums for rock, pop, hard rock, metal, country, blues, and other similar styles. Probably not too good for techno or dance music, but I guess it's how they're used.

Just to give you a little idea of what to expect, the snare drum itself has 20 velocity layers! Also checkout the free drum sample set we are giving away on our free page. It's not as big and doesn't have nearly as many velocity layers, but it's cool just the same to add to your collection... http://www.smartloops.com/Free/

12 Replies Related Threads

rockem sockem robot
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 18
    RE: New Dimension Drums 2006/01/31 13:21:42 (permalink)

Just wanted to let you know Smart Loops released three new professional drum sample sets for Dimension, and any other synth that uses SFZ files, including the SFZ player in Sonar... http://www.smartloops.com/products/samplesets/

So what's the verdict, has anyone tried these?

Rock
    markheath
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 408
    RE: New Dimension Drums 2006/02/02 03:20:04 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: rockem sockem robot
    So what's the verdict, has anyone tried these?

I've had a go, and they sound nice. Hi-hats are especially good. There's no rim shot though, which is a disappointment.
    One of the toms has a bit of a "boing" to it that the others don't have which sounds a bit odd. There's a nice collection of rides as well as a generous helping of percussion, which is rare on sampled drumkits. My favourite percussion item is the triangle, which you can mute with the adjacent key. The snares need to be upgraded to make this a really useful kit, e.g. including separate left-hand right-hand samples and more velocity layers.

Anyway, thanks Frank for making this available free.
    Paradroid
    • Total Posts : 454
    RE: New Dimension Drums 2006/02/02 04:11:56 (permalink)
    Just wanted to let you know Smart Loops released three new professional drum sample sets for Dimension

Excellent. The tide is turning… Great news that 3rd party support for sfz is starting to move.
    Frank Basile
    RE: New Dimension Drums 2006/02/02 13:02:35 (permalink)
    Hi Mark,
    Thanks for checking the drums out. I think you're referring to the free Dry Studio Kit SFZ file?

My original post was regarding the three BIG SFZ files Smart Loops just released. 20 velocity levels just for the snare! Not free, but I think a great deal. We will have some demos up very soon.

Thanks!
    Frank

markheath
    RE: New Dimension Drums 2006/02/02 13:11:39 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Frank Basile
    Hi Mark,
    Thanks for checking the drums out. I think you're referring to the free Dry Studio Kit SFZ file?

Yes, sorry. Should have made that clear!
    markheath
    RE: New Dimension Drums 2006/02/02 13:24:30 (permalink)
    My original post was regarding the three BIG SFZ files Smart Loops just released. 20 velocity levels just for the snare! Not free, but I think a great deal. We will have some demos up very soon.

I look forward to hearing the demos of these. Are the MIDI drum loops also for sale set up to work with these? Also, do UK customers have any VAT added on the download products? I'm actually saving up at the moment to get a Roland V-Drum kit, so I'm trying to resist buying anything else for a while, but your special offer prices are very tempting .
    Frank Basile
    RE: New Dimension Drums 2006/02/02 15:09:18 (permalink)

I look forward to hearing the demos of these. Are the MIDI drum loops also for sale set up to work with these? Also, do UK customers have any VAT added on the download products? I'm actually saving up at the moment to get a Roland V-Drum kit, so I'm trying to resist buying anything else for a while, but your special offer prices are very tempting .

Yep. The Midi loops we sell work hand-in-hand with our Sample Sets. What does VAT mean? I have a Roland V-Drums kit. It's cool, but I get bored of it very quickly. It doesn't give me the satisfaction that my acoustic drums do. But that's probably the case for most drummers.
    markheath
    RE: New Dimension Drums 2006/02/02 16:21:20 (permalink)
    Yep. The Midi loops we sell work hand-in-hand with our Sample Sets. What does VAT mean? I have a Roland V-Drums kit. It's cool, but I get bored of it very quickly. It doesn't give me the satisfaction that my acoustic drums do. But that's probably the case for most drummers.

VAT is a 17.5% sales tax that gets added to most things we buy in the UK. The rules on whether it gets added when you buy from overseas are too complicated for me to understand. I've bought books from the US without paying it, but for downloadable software I have no idea.

As for the V-Drums, I get what you're saying but then you're in a completely different drumming league to me. I only have one microphone, and a very cheap drumkit, and can't play for more than a minute or two without making a glaring mistake. But my drum programming skills are still quite limited and its a very slow process. I figure recording MIDI from V-Drums, editing it and playing though a sampler would be quicker and sound a lot better than what I am doing now.
    Frank Basile
    RE: New Dimension Drums 2006/02/03 18:17:48 (permalink)
    I confirmed there is no extra VAT charge on the downloads.
    FYI: Demos of the three sample sets are now up... http://www.smartloops.com/products/samplesets/

rockem sockem robot
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 18
    RE: New Dimension Drums 2006/02/21 08:19:38 (permalink)

FYI: Demos of the three sample sets are now up... http://www.smartloops.com/products/samplesets/

Thanks for posting the demos Frank!

I went ahead and ordered the trap kit. Not that the free one was bad, but from some quick tests with the trap kit the first things that really jump out is how much better the snare, hi hats and ride sound. I'll definately get some good use out of this.

Thanks,

Rock
    cmusicmaker
    Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2328
    RE: New Dimension Drums 2006/02/21 08:38:41 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Paradroid

Just wanted to let you know Smart Loops released three new professional drum sample sets for Dimension

Excellent. The tide is turning… Great news that 3rd party support for sfz is starting to move.

Yes...Garritan now smart loops. Nice.
    Frank Basile
    RE: New Dimension Drums 2006/02/21 17:45:04 (permalink)
    Also try adding a touch of reverb to just the snare on the Trap kit. You'll have to use the separated SFZ files to do this. It really allows for varying the kit sound by simply changing the color of the snare. Thanks!

-Frank
    Live Multi-Track Drums for your Cakewalk Projects... http://www.LiveStudioDrums.com/
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1