New Distant Towers tune, Turn for the Worse

Author
CreatingNoise
Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1666
2011/08/20 12:18:15 (permalink)

New Distant Towers tune, Turn for the Worse

Gud aftnoon, hope u r well

Nu song by DT.........plz dont mnd msg, tryg to prfct my txting teknq!!!

Wnt feedbk, hope u will give, gd...bd...all welcm

thx!!

Okay, my thumb is already sore....back to regular english....errr....my version of it anyway, LOL.

You can access the song at the DT website at this address...
http://distant-towers.com/DTlatestsong.htm

Or at Soundclick if you prefer....
http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10972925

People to point the fingers in blame.....

Tom McCaffrey:  Synths, bass, background vocals, Sonarist
Preston Richardson:  Drums!!!
Tony Wood:  Guitars, lyrics/vocals

Thanks for any listens.  Thanks also for all the great feedback for our last one, Break it Down.  Always appreciated.
post edited by CreatingNoise - 2011/08/20 12:50:19

15 Replies Related Threads

jamesg1213
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 21760
    Re:New Distant Towers tune, Turn for the Worse 2011/08/20 14:07:48 (permalink)
    Tony, you play the cleanest, most precise arpeggios I've ever heard, just perfectly done. Synth work is nicely judged on this one, really compliments and updates the almost '70's instrumentation. Drums on the last few tunes are getting better and better mix-wise, super sound, really working with the solid bass too.

Great atmosphere here, spooky and melancholy.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    philz
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2462
    Re:New Distant Towers tune, Turn for the Worse 2011/08/20 15:18:35 (permalink)
    Loved the vibe on this... sort of Floyd-ish, but totaly, and uniquely DT.  It felt like lots of different influences all coming together in a really cool way... I even got a hint of Bob Seger's "Turn the Page" (a personal favorite of mine).

Guitar, keys and synths all blended nicely... the bass too.  The drums seemed to get a bit loud at points, but I loved the tom rolls which were really well placed.  
    timidi
    Max Output Level: -21 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5449
    Re:New Distant Towers tune, Turn for the Worse 2011/08/20 19:14:28 (permalink)
    Nice.. I kept wanting to hear the voc more up front. The seashore sounds were a little distracting. Great job though. Love the drums.

ASUS P8P67, i7-2600K, CORSAIR 16GB, HIS 5450, 3 Samsung SSD 850, Win7 64, RME AIO.

https://timbowman.bandcamp.com/releases

mgh
    • Total Posts : 8594
    Re:New Distant Towers tune, Turn for the Worse 2011/08/22 03:43:27 (permalink)
    this is a veritable roll for you guys. 2 songs in a month?! love the feel on this one, lovely guitar tone and the synth blends superbly. The drums are played as well as always, but i think the snare could be a little crackier/brighter. this one seems more Americana influenced, whilst keeping that Floydian vibe...great chill-out music. waiting for the segue...ah here it comes...actually isn't a segue as such, just a nice arpeggiated chord section...nice key step up at 5'00...cool ending!

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    Bob Oister
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2766
    Re:New Distant Towers tune, Turn for the Worse 2011/08/22 04:32:17 (permalink)
    Hi, Tony and Tom,

How's it going, bros?  Hope you're having a real bang-up summer!

Wow, another dynamite addition to the vast, glorious depths of the DT catalog!  I absolutely love the "shimmering" clean guitar parts, the vocals are fantastic, and the bass and drums sound spectacular together.

I'm on my second listen, and I definitely agree with Phil about the overall Floyd vibe and feel, and I really think the mix is right on the money.

Stunning job, guys, have a good one!
    Bob
    geetsifly
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 192
    Re:New Distant Towers tune, Turn for the Worse 2011/08/22 16:00:20 (permalink)
    Hi Guys, here is my quick take on this tune. Song itself is really quite good. As mentioned in a previous post the instrumentation is perfect for this. I loved the tremelo on the guitar Regarding the mix I felt the low mids are a bit mushy. The voice is not quite sitting right and is getting lost. Finally if there is bass I cannot hear it. Probably because of some whats going on in the low end. When you perfect the mix (as I am 100% sure you will do) this recording will be outstanding. George

Sonar Platinum / Windows 7 64 SP1 / Intel I7 / 12GB ram / RME Hammerfall 9632 Interface / BCF2000 Control Surface
    Lets connect on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/geetsifly or Reverbnation: http://www.reverbnation.com/geetsifly
    CreatingNoise
    Re:New Distant Towers tune, Turn for the Worse 2011/08/22 21:09:46 (permalink)
    James....thanks for listening man, much appreciated!!!  Preston has really been dialing in the groove for us, he has a great ear and talent for putting just the type of drumming that is needed.  Glad to hear you like it.  Thanks for the very kind comments.  As Tom is fond of saying, we just fling a bunch of s&(* at the wall and what doesn't slide to the floor becomes the tune.

Phil, thanks for taking a listen, we appreciate it.  Thanks for the kind words and feedback. 

Tim, thanks for throwing your ears on this one and for the good feedback and kind assesment.  We appreciate the help and the listen.
    Mark, thanks for taking a few minutes from the tsunami of black metal you call your studio and taking a listen to this.  Thanks for the kind words on the tune.  Yeah, even though we started the tunes at different times, the last two just seemed to coalesce at the same time.

Bob.  Thanks for the listen dude and for the nice words about the new tune.  Thanks for the feedback on the mix.  It has been a pretty good summer.  Hope you are doing well too.

George.  Good ear, I believe that the bass is really synth.  Tom tracked it and I haven't had a chance to get my usual "tour" of the song that he does when I visit his house.  But yeah, I think it is mostly synth if not all.  Thanks for the listen and the kind words and constructive feedback.  Always appreciated!
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:New Distant Towers tune, Turn for the Worse 2011/08/22 21:24:06 (permalink)
    Nice tune. I like the out of tune guitar..... it fit this perfectly.

Nice job on the song.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    mstodge
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 984
    Re:New Distant Towers tune, Turn for the Worse 2011/08/24 07:52:42 (permalink)
    Damn! this was so nice. The quality of song production on this forum has gone from strength to strength, and this is no exception. 

Great playing by you all. Your vocals are spot on Tony.
    wonderful, wonderful song.

Mark.
    No How
    Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5180
    Re:New Distant Towers tune, Turn for the Worse 2011/08/26 12:11:35 (permalink)
    You guys have taken on another hue in your catalogue of well arranged/mixed dark slanted rock ballads. 
    I'm enjoying every second of it.   I don't ears up to this level so it all sounds excellent to me.

s o n g s

– Beauty lodged in a bad hotel has no value.  Raymond Lull
    geeare1
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1906
    Re:New Distant Towers tune, Turn for the Worse 2011/08/27 11:55:34 (permalink)
    Hi guys,

Excellent song. I love the clean guitar and the drums are great.

Great mix...all the subtle touches come through nicely.

Nice pic on your site with the "rabbit in a magic hat", too.

Very cool!

-gr

'There's two kinds of music: good and bad. I like both.' - Duke Ellington

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=943338&content=music
    Scottytunes
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5695
    Re:New Distant Towers tune, Turn for the Worse 2011/08/27 19:18:51 (permalink)
    Wow! If I had six hands I'd give you six thumbs up on this song!

String Jammer
    paulo
    Max Output Level: -13 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6218
    Re:New Distant Towers tune, Turn for the Worse 2011/08/29 12:32:37 (permalink)
    CreatingNoise

As Tom is fond of saying, we just fling a bunch of s&(* at the wall and what doesn't slide to the floor becomes the tune.

LOL ! That's pretty much my method too, except most of mine ends up on the floor ! Obviously throwing the wrong kind of s&(* ! That or my walls are especially slippery for some reason. Prolly because they're now coated in No. 2's !

Liked the tune - not as instantly catchy as some of your latest works (still loving Storybook - listen to it all the time) but I get the feeling that it will grow on me before long. I've added it to my DT collection for further listening.
    bapu
    • Total Posts : 86000
    Re:New Distant Towers tune, Turn for the Worse 2011/08/29 17:10:08 (permalink)
    I'm starting to get it with you guys.

You'll just never do a bad song.

Excellent work gentlemen.

CreatingNoise
    Re:New Distant Towers tune, Turn for the Worse 2011/08/29 20:52:12 (permalink)
    Thanks folks for putting your ears on this one.  Your comments and kind words are appreciated and duly noted.  Every now and again we get one of these strange ones where I have some vocals that come together.  The next tune is underway though and Tom is back in his usual form at the mic.

Hope everyone that was in the path of Irene is safe. 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1