"New Drum Map" option seems to have vanished

Author
Alan in Cram
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 29
2014/01/14 13:44:05 (permalink)

"New Drum Map" option seems to have vanished

After 2 years of playing with Sonar X1 I am still a relative NewB . During these  years I have especially struggled with drum maps. Scott Garrigus and Trev Wilkins in their respective books “Sonar X1 Power” and “Cakewalk Sonar” give what appears to be simple instructions to assign a drum map to a MIDI track.  Finally on 17 December 2013 I cracked it and wrote a detailed account, with screen shots, so I would not forget how to do it.  These are the steps I took then:
  1. created a new midi project using TTS1.
  2. Opened up the piano roll view on the midi track and entered a few notes on C3 and D3. Then closed PRV.
  3. Clicked on the output control of the MIDI channel to be given the option of choosing  i) UA-4FX, ii) cakewalk TTS1 1 or iii) New Drum Map. I chose option iii).
  4. Opened PRV again and it appeared in Drum map format - magic! I added a few more notes for good measure.
  5. On the MIDI track I opened up the output and on the drop down menu chose Drum manager.
  6. The drum manager displayed a Map of the Kit and showed the outports as UA-4FX which I changed to TTS 1.
  7. Back to the track view and played the track. Success.
 Christmas and New Year was busy so I just got back onto Sonar in the second week of January.  I tried to repeat what I had done on the 17 December but it all went wrong. Each time I got to stage 3 of the above I was only given option i) and ii), the choice of New drum map was not available. I looked in Drum map manager but was unable to access any presets. I can’t locate the list of drum maps that were previously appearing when I was selecting a map on 17 December. Its driving me round the bend. 
I’ve searched the various forums but can’t find a solution.  Am I doing something that is obviously incorrect? Can anyone help me please? 

17 Replies Related Threads

icontakt
    Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4266
    Re: "New Drum Map" option seems to have vanished 2014/01/14 20:41:52 (permalink)
    1. Go to Edit > Preferences > File > File Locations, and check the path shown to the right of "Drum Maps."
    2. Navigate to the Drum Map folder and check the contents. Do you see drum maps in the folder?

Tak T.

Primary Laptop: Core i7-4710MQ CPU, 16GB RAM, 7200RPM HDD, Windows 7 Home Premium OS (Japanese) x64 SP1
    Secondary Laptop: Core2 Duo CPU, 8GB RAM, 7200RPM HDD, Windows 7 Professional OS (Japanese) x64 SP1
    Audio Interface: iD14 (ASIO)
    Keyboard Controller/MIDI Interface: A-800PRO
    DAW: SONAR Platinum x64 (latest update installed)
    Alan in Cram
    Re: "New Drum Map" option seems to have vanished 2014/01/15 09:26:12 (permalink)
    Jlien
    Thanks for your reply. I followed you instructions but the Drum Maps were not in the location that they should have been. However it prompted me to search further and I found them in a now redundant folder and have transferred them over to the designated location.
    This though has not solved my problem of assigning one of the drum maps to my project. My problem still remains in that the New Drum Map option that I described at 3 iii) above does not now work.
    I can get into Drum map manager and create a new drum map manually but do not know to set up one from the drum maps provided by Sonar.
    I thought that the presets drop down list in the DMM would show a list of all the drum maps that came with Sonar X1 but it shows nothing but a blank.
    Are you able to advise how I can assign the provided drum maps please?
    Alan 
    icontakt
    Re: "New Drum Map" option seems to have vanished 2014/01/15 10:06:04 (permalink)
    You mean you transferred the drum maps you found to the existing folder designated in Edit > Preferences > File > File Locations - Drum Maps? If so, I think the folder got broken at some point and Sonar could no longer read the folder and list the drum maps in the drop-down list in the drum map manager. The same thing happened to me, but not in X1/X2/X3, it was a very old version (Sonar 2). I moved the Drum Map folder somewhere else, and created a new Drum Map folder and transferred the contents in the old Drum Map folder to the new Drum Map folder. It solved the issue (it was a known issue in v2, so it happened a few times). 

Tak T.

Primary Laptop: Core i7-4710MQ CPU, 16GB RAM, 7200RPM HDD, Windows 7 Home Premium OS (Japanese) x64 SP1
    Secondary Laptop: Core2 Duo CPU, 8GB RAM, 7200RPM HDD, Windows 7 Professional OS (Japanese) x64 SP1
    scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: "New Drum Map" option seems to have vanished 2014/01/15 10:16:49 (permalink)
    The default location for drum maps in your user directory\AppData\Roaming\Cakewalk\your version of SONAR\Drum Maps. To restore data missing from your user directory, hold the SHIFT key while starting SONAR. This is different from safe mode, holding the SHIFT key while opening a project. There is a master copy of the user data in C:\ProgramData\Cakewalk\your version of SONAR. Both AppData and ProgramData are hidden directories.
    Alan in Cram
    Re: "New Drum Map" option seems to have vanished 2014/01/15 11:20:49 (permalink)
    Jlien
    Can you confirm that I am reading you correct in that when I go to DMM and hit the Presets drop down menu the full list from the Drum maps folder should be there for me to view and choose from?  Currently it is not.
    Also when I put the Drum maps folder back into “C:\Users\Main\AppData\Roaming\Cakewalk\SONAR X1 Studio” I did it by dragging and dropping the folder. Was this the correct way? I did not create a new folder then copy and paste the contents from the old folder into the new folder.

scook
    Although I don’t fully understand what you described I did close Sonar X1 and hold down Shift as I started it again.
    Also AppData was not hidden on my computer.

Jlien and scook
    I appreciate your comments to date but I’m still in need of some hand holding.   
    icontakt
    Re: "New Drum Map" option seems to have vanished 2014/01/15 19:33:03 (permalink)
    Ok, then I suggest you create your own drum map folder somewhere (in another drive if you have one) and copy only the drum maps you need from the default Drum Map folder, and choose this new folder in File Location (use the button to the right of the path). This way, the list in the DMM will be shorter (and also it will be easier to manage your own presets). I do this not only to drum maps but also to other items you see in File Locations, such as track icons, project templates.

Tak T.

Bristol_Jonesey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re: "New Drum Map" option seems to have vanished 2014/01/16 03:52:15 (permalink)
    It's odd that this was working correctly and now isn't.

I don't think this has anything to do with folder locations or anything like that.
    Are you 100% sure you're selecting the Midi track Output to try and assign a Drum Map?

Try inserting Session Drummer. Don't use a simple instrument track, choose the split Midi/Audio approach, and also make sure you only have Midi Source and First Synth Audio Output checked.

Now go to you midi track and see what output options are available.

You should see this, or similar:

If you don't, and nothing else has changed on your system since it last worked, then I suggest you do a backup and reinstall Sonar from scratch

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    Alan in Cram
    Re: "New Drum Map" option seems to have vanished 2014/01/16 11:17:37 (permalink)

Jlien
    How did you move the Drum Map folder? I have copied it and placed it on my D drive but the original is still in the Default folder. I can only think of deleting the folder, inserting a new blank folder then copying in some of the files from the folder on my D drive.  I'm reluctant to do that at this stage in case I mess everything up.

Jonesy
    Thanks for entering the fray. Yes it is odd.  I had a bad experience with Sonar in December 2012 when it would not open at all. After many weeks of corresponding with Technical support they said it could only be a Windows fault and advised me to re-install Windows 7. I did and I got Sonar working again but it was a nightmare as I lost other programs. Hence I would be wary about re-installing Sonar from scratch.

Yes I'm 100% sure that I'm selecting the Midi track output to when trying to assign a Drum Map. After I had cracked it I did a track in December using SD2 and the drum map option appeared. I've tried again today and there was no drum map option available. I've taken a screen print to illustrate but do not know how to insert it into this message so I'll try to put it in a PM to you.  

At the end of the day I can use drum map manager to create new maps but it is time consuming and I would really like to have the option to use the ready prepared maps. 

Alan 

Alan in Cram
    Re: "New Drum Map" option seems to have vanished 2014/01/16 11:21:18 (permalink)
    Jonesy
    Sorry could not send you a PM. Apparently I need to have made a minimum of 25 posts before I can use PMs and have only made 16.
    Alan  
    Bristol_Jonesey
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re: "New Drum Map" option seems to have vanished 2014/01/16 13:25:06 (permalink)
    No worries Alan.
    You're on 17 now btw 

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    icontakt
    Re: "New Drum Map" option seems to have vanished 2014/01/18 11:56:42 (permalink)
    I've just tried to recreate your issue but the Output field in the MIDI track header still shows "New Drum Map" fine even after I moved my drum map folder (which I created myself in a different partition) somewhere else. Then I tried to select one of the maps shown in the list to the right of "New Drum Map" I got a "Cannot find or open file" error message (of course, becasue I moved the folder). Then I restarted Sonar and the program automatically switched the Drum Map path in Folder Locations to the default path (C:\Users\(user name)\AppData\Roaming\Cakewalk\SONAR X3\Drum Maps).

This tells me that your issue indeed has nothing to do with folder locations. I don't recommend re-installing OS at this stage but how about clean installing Sonar? Did tech support tell you how to do it? If they didn't I can post the steps they gave me last year (when I was on X2).

But before doing that, we need to see your screenshot. You can post it by following these steps:

1. Go to http://imgur.com/
    2. Drag and drop the screenshot (file) into the site (anywhere in the page)
    3. Click [Start Upload]
    4. After the upload is completed, click the documents icon under [BBCode (message boards & forums)]. (This will copy the link to your screenshot uploaded)
    5. Paste the link to your post

Tak T.

Alan in Cram
    Re: "New Drum Map" option seems to have vanished 2014/01/19 17:33:40 (permalink)
    Jlien
    Thank you again. I've spent a good few (or more) hours the last few days checking locations of various folders (plug ins) to see if anything was array.There is only one Soft Synth (Triangle 11) not loading and the error message is "Failed to insert soft synth. The synth may not be properly installed".  I'll look at that later.

Sonar tech have not told me how I go about clean installing Sonar X1. If I need to do that I would be grateful for your offer to post the steps they gave you last year.

Finally, following your instructions I have registered with imgur and have 2 pasted links showing the current position of no new map option and the position on 26 December when I opened a new file using SD2 and received the New Drum Map option which I took up and used GM Drums (Complete Kit). 

Current position - no New Drum Map option available

Position at 26 December 2013 when the new drum map option was available and I went for GM Drums (Complete Kit).

Alan 

icontakt
    Re: "New Drum Map" option seems to have vanished 2014/01/20 08:52:36 (permalink)
    Thanks for posting the screenshots, Alan. One thing I noticed is that the New Drum Map option is already missing in the screenshot you captured on Dec 26, which is really strange. I have no idea what caused the problem, so I'm just posting the procedure to completely uninstall Sonar which tech support gave me last year. Despite the number of steps, the uninstall will finish within 20 minutes IIRC.

To be honest, I want to recommend (considering) upgrading to X3, because lots of handy features have been added since X1. I don't know which version (Produce/Studio/Essential) you're using, but the X3 base version isn't expensive and it no longer has a limit on the number of buses, effects, etc.

Anyway, I hope your issue will be resolved by this re-install. Here are the steps:

---
    To completely un-install SONAR X2 Producer from your computer. You will want to manually remove the SONAR installation files by deleting the following directories. Do this by doing the following:
    1) Open the Run Prompt by holding down the Windows Key on your computer and pressing "R"
    2) In the Run prompt type in the following and press [OK]: C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\
    3) Delete the "SONAR X2 Producer" folder contained within
    4) Open the Run Prompt by holding down the Windows Key on your computer and pressing "R"
    5) In the Run prompt type in the following and press [OK]: %appdata%\Cakewalk
    6) Delete the "SONAR X2 Producer" folder contained within
    7) Open the Run Prompt by holding down the Windows Key on your computer and pressing "R"
    8) In the Run prompt type in the following and press [OK]: %allusersprofile%\Cakewalk
    9) Delete the "SONAR X2 Producer" folder contained within
    Next you will want to delete your SONAR related registry keys by doing the following:
    10) Open the Run Prompt by holding down the Windows Key on your computer and pressing "R"
    11) In the Run prompt type in the following and press [OK]: regedit
    12) Click [OK] will launch the Registry Editor. If prompted with a message "Do you want to allow the following program to make changes...", click [Yes].
    IMPORTANT: When you access the Registry Editor, create a backup by going to File > Export. In the Export menu, make sure you have "All" selected and that the "Save As Type" is set to "Registration Files (*.reg).
    It is very important to create a backup of your registry because if you accidentally delete a registry key there is no undo function. You can, however, double-click on the Registry backup you made above to re-import your registry keys if you make any mistakes. You MUST re-import your backup (if needed) before restarting your computer.
    13) Now delete the following Registry keys:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cakewalk Music Software\SONAR Producer\X2
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cakewalk Music Software\SONAR Producer\X2

IMPORTANT: You will want to delete the "X2" folder at the end of these strings of keys. Do this by right-clicking on the ""X2" folder and selecting "Delete". Only do this for the "X2" folders in the locations above. If you do not see these ""X2" folders, proceed to the next step.
    *Please note that this will remove any effects presets and key bindings you may have made in Cakewalk. You can back these up separately if you like from SONAR's Plug-in Manager and Color and Key Bindings menus.

At this point, you will want to re-install the product. We recommend temporarily disabling your startup programs by doing the following:
    14) Open the 'Run' command again and type in the following: msconfig
    15) Click [OK] and then click on the Startup tab at the upper right of the window that opens.
    16) Uncheck all items listed, click [OK], then restart your computer. You can always recheck those items again at a later time.
    17) Reinstall SONAR X2

Tak T.

Elffin
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1196
    Re: "New Drum Map" option seems to have vanished 2014/01/20 09:53:22 (permalink)
    If this helps.......my drum maps disappeared too at one point... but the fix was easily made.

Being 'clever' I tried to compress the folders where cakewalk files were stored to reduce the size of the files .......... but .... Sonar does not see the files when they are compressed... I uncompressed the file and folders and they reappeared and available again in Sonar.

Alan in Cram
    Re: "New Drum Map" option seems to have vanished 2014/01/21 11:06:02 (permalink)
    Jlien
    Thanks for posting the re-install instructions. I shall have a rest for a few days now to defrag my brain and consult Sonar Tech support who I suspect will come out with the same suggestion as you.

A couple of points worth a mention: 
    (1) I am using Sonar X1 Studio

(2) Regarding the screen print showing 26 December. I took this print on 20 January 2014. The checked option 3 showing DM1 GM Drums (Complete kit) was originally showing New Drum Map on the 26 December but I did not take a screen print then as I had no reason to. I took the New Drum Map option on 26 December and from the drop down list of available drum maps chose the GM Drums (Complete Kit). So the 26 December was the last date when I know that all was well.

(3) As you know I have ensured that the Drum Maps folder is now in the location that is shown in the folder locations default in preferences. Since I last chatted to you I tried another ruse suggested by Scott Garrigus. I made a note of the DM folder location shown then deleted it and pressed apply. I then re-entered it and and pressed apply again. I then went through the process of assigning a new drum map again and regrettably the New Drum map option was still unavailable. 

(4)  Your guidance on using imgur is invaluable. I can see myself using this frequently.

(5) If after I've sought tech support I really do have no option but to re-install or upgrade to X3 studio I shall ensure I have one of my IT savvy friends with me during the process.

Elffin
    I'm envious of your easy fix. 

If anyone else out there has any further suggestions, I'm still listening.
    Alan 
    garrigus
    • Total Posts : 8599
    Re: "New Drum Map" option seems to have vanished 2014/01/21 12:02:49 (permalink)
    Hi Alan,

I just posted a possible solution over in your topic on the DigiFreq forums...
    http://www.digifreq.com/digifreq/discuss/

Scott

--
    Scott R. Garrigus - http://garrigus.com - SONAR X2 Power! - http://garrigus.com/?SonarX2Power
    * Author of the Cakewalk Sonar and Sony Sound Forge Power book series: http://garrigus.com/?PowerBooks
    * Author of the Cakewalk Sonar ProAudioTutor video tutorial series: http://garrigus.com/?ProAudioTutor
    * Publisher of the DigiFreq free music technology newsletter: http://digifreq.com/?DigiFreq
    * Publisher of the NewTechReview free consumer technology newsletter: http://newtechreview.com/?NewTechReview
    Alan in Cram
    Re: "New Drum Map" option seems to have vanished 2014/01/21 13:43:34 (permalink)
    Hello all
    Problem now solved.
    In the preferences > default locations window I had C:\Users\Main\AppData\Roaming\Cakewalk\SONAR X1 Studio when I should have had C:\Users\Main\AppData\Roaming\Cakewalk\SONAR X1 Studio\Drum Maps
    Somehow the "\Drum Maps" got detached sometime in the new year and I never noticed.  Got the answer from Scott's Digi Tech forum.  
    Thanks again for all who helped.
    Alan  

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1