New Fatar Controller - Sustain Pedal Problem

Author
DroopyPawn
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 665
2005/11/19 00:14:36 (permalink)

New Fatar Controller - Sustain Pedal Problem

UPS delivered my Musician's Friend order today. One brand new StudioLogic SL-990-XP. 88 key hammer action controller. Nice axe.

Now I'm not a keyboard player but I did take one semester of piano in college and I have a thorough background in music theory. My fingers will learn to play what my brain is hearing eventually.

But I'm having a problem with my sustain pedal. MPM Music PS 15 Sustain Pedal. When I stomp on the pedal, the keyboard is dampened. When I let the pedal up, it is sustained. Isn't this exactly opposite of what it should be? On the pedal's box it says "Normally closed switch". Should I get one that's "nomally open"?

gs

Gary Shepherd
www.16tracks.com

14 Replies Related Threads

daveny5
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16934
    RE: New Fatar Controller - Sustain Pedal Problem 2005/11/19 09:19:25 (permalink)
    I have the SL-880 and the manual says that the keyboard should work with both types of pedals and that when you power it on, it senses the footpedal type. Obviously, the footpedal has to be plugged in when you turn it on. Check your manual to see if the SL-990 behaves the same way. It should.

Dave
    Computer: Intel i7, ASROCK H170M, 16GB/5TB+, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, TASCAM US-16x08, Cakewalk UM-3G MIDI I/F
    Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R, KORG Wavestation EX
    Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp, Shure SM-58 mic, Rode NT1 condenser mic.
    Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, various stompboxes and stuff. 
    Controllers: Korg nanoKONTROL, Wacom Bamboo Touchpad
    michael japan
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5252
    RE: New Fatar Controller - Sustain Pedal Problem 2005/11/19 09:47:44 (permalink)
    the polarity is reversed. It either automatically switches on start up, like a Korg keyboard under global/controls you can reverse the polarity to be like a Yamaha, or the pedal you got is not compatible. But I can't imagine a controller these days not giving you the option

Windows 10/64 bit/i7-6560U/SSD/16GB RAM/Cakelab/Sonar Platinum/Pro Tools/Studio 1/Studio 192/DP88/MOTU AVB/Grace M101/AKG Various/Blue Woodpecker/SM81x2/Yamaha C1L Grand Piano/CLP545/MOX88/MOTIF XS Rack Rack/MX61/Korg CX3/Karma/Scarbee EP88s/ Ivory/Ravenscroft Piano/JBL4410/NS10m/Auratones/Omnisphere/Play Composers Selection/Waves/Komplete Kontrol
    DroopyPawn
    RE: New Fatar Controller - Sustain Pedal Problem 2005/11/19 11:46:26 (permalink)
    My manual is only 2 pages and doesn't mention the sustain pedal but you're probably right. I'll try it out.

Gary Shepherd
    www.16tracks.com
    DroopyPawn
    RE: New Fatar Controller - Sustain Pedal Problem 2005/11/20 10:21:21 (permalink)
    I plan to try this same pedal on my Roland SPD-6 drum controller. I suspect that it might work on the hi-hat.

But I was going through my drum samples and I have one set with several different states of "openness" on the hi-hats - from really closed to all the way open to several hits that are "open a little" to "open a lot". About 10 different sounds all together on 10 consecutive black keys (on a midi keyboard).

Any suggestions on how to use these notes from a controller. I know I could just play them on the keyboard but I'd rather do it on a drum controller and use a pedal of some kind. Just not sure how to so do that or if it's even possible.

Gary Shepherd
    www.16tracks.com
    ebinary
    Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1336
    RE: New Fatar Controller - Sustain Pedal Problem 2005/11/20 12:18:06 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: DroopyPawn

UPS delivered my Musician's Friend order today. One brand new StudioLogic SL-990-XP. 88 key hammer action controller. Nice axe.

I am looking for an inexpensive 88-key weighted keyboard that is suitable for chopping down to 60-76 keys. If you ever get the urge to open yours up, I'm curious if there are octave modules with ribbon connectors that could be disconnected and tossed.

Eric
    DroopyPawn
    RE: New Fatar Controller - Sustain Pedal Problem 2005/11/21 10:11:06 (permalink)
    2 years ago. I had a house fire. My Fatar keyboard was in the living room (where there was just smoke) and it got hot. Doesn't work anymore but it may be a good keyboard for your project. It was leaning against the wall and only the upper end got much smoke on it. I had a kid at school clean it up. Told him if he could make it work, he could have it. Nothing is melted on the outside. All the keys are fine. The hammer action is still great. It just doesn't power up. I imagine that one of the circuit boards on the inside got a little warped or something like that. Make me an offer if you're interested. The keyboard is down at the church so I'll have to go see which model it was. I think it was a Studio 2001. It was one of the Fatar keyboards that's built into its own flight case.

Gary Shepherd
    www.16tracks.com
    ebinary
    RE: New Fatar Controller - Sustain Pedal Problem 2005/11/25 15:28:19 (permalink)
    was just smoke) and it got hot. Doesn't work anymore but it may be a good keyboard for your project. It was leaning against the wall and only the upper end got much smoke on it. I had a kid at school clean it up. Told him if he could make it work, he could have it. Nothing is melted on the outside. All the keys are fine. The hammer action is still great. It just doesn't power up. I imagine that one of the circuit boards on the inside got a little warped or something like that. Make me an offer if you're interested. The keyboard is down at the church so I'll have to go see which model it was. I think it was a Studio 2001. It was one of the Fatar keyboards that's built into its own flight case.

Thanks for thinking of me, but I doubt I can repair a melted circuit board. Wish I could!

Eric
    DroopyPawn
    RE: New Fatar Controller - Sustain Pedal Problem 2005/11/25 16:53:23 (permalink)
    Ok. I thought you just wanted the hammer action keys.

Gary Shepherd
    www.16tracks.com
    lfm
    Max Output Level: -53 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2216
    RE: New Fatar Controller - Sustain Pedal Problem 2005/11/25 17:16:58 (permalink)

I plan to try this same pedal on my Roland SPD-6 drum controller. I suspect that it might work on the hi-hat.

But I was going through my drum samples and I have one set with several different states of "openness" on the hi-hats - from really closed to all the way open to several hits that are "open a little" to "open a lot". About 10 different sounds all together on 10 consecutive black keys (on a midi keyboard).

Any suggestions on how to use these notes from a controller. I know I could just play them on the keyboard but I'd rather do it on a drum controller and use a pedal of some kind. Just not sure how to so do that or if it's even possible.

Just using an expression controller will make it possible to select openness on hihats. Usually there is a midi CC (often CC 4) that drives this. So just using the keyboard, hands and expression with foot you can get it going by mapping these different openness on the same midi key and expression is choosing which one is sounding. In my case I'm using a Yamaha DD-55 drumpad module to trigger a sampler in Sonar. I also got a kickpad KP65 and a regular kickpedal to it. Alltogether with expression controller for hihat control you have something very close to a real drumkit on the corner of a table.
    losguy
    Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5506
    RE: New Fatar Controller - Sustain Pedal Problem 2005/11/25 17:24:33 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: lfm
    Just using an expression controller will make it possible to select openness on hihats. Usually there is a midi CC (often CC 4) that drives this.

Wouldn't this depend heavily on the sample set and sampler being used? It's not a global standard is it? Or are you talking about GM?

Psalm 30:12
    All pure waves converge at the Origin
    losguy
    RE: New Fatar Controller - Sustain Pedal Problem 2005/11/25 17:27:51 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: ebinary
    I am looking for an inexpensive 88-key weighted keyboard that is suitable for chopping down to 60-76 keys. If you ever get the urge to open yours up, I'm curious if there are octave modules with ribbon connectors that could be disconnected and tossed.

Yikes! Do you have some sort of strict length limit? Why not just grit your teeth (sorta like your avatar) and leave it at 88? Not criticizing, of course, just painfully curious...

agincourtdb
    Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4753
    RE: New Fatar Controller - Sustain Pedal Problem 2005/11/25 17:43:12 (permalink)
    I have a similar pedal and mine has a little switch on the bottom that reverses it.

losguy
    RE: New Fatar Controller - Sustain Pedal Problem 2005/11/25 17:47:48 (permalink)
    My manual is only 2 pages and doesn't mention the sustain pedal but you're probably right. I'll try it out.

If the Fatar indeed has this auto-detect feature, then just make sure not to have your foot on the pedal when you're powering the Fatar up.

Edit: Sounds dumb, I know, but sometimes it's the simple, stupid things that trip us up.
    post edited by losguy - 2005/11/25 17:49:11

ebinary
    RE: New Fatar Controller - Sustain Pedal Problem 2005/11/27 03:20:12 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: losguy
    ORIGINAL: ebinary

Yikes! Do you have some sort of strict length limit?

Yeah, playing with 3 others guys on small stages. Bass is my main performing instrument these days, so my keyboard is mostly taking up room on stage. But even after decades of playing synth keyboards, I don't enjoy playing piano on a synth keyboard.

I just can't believe NO ONE sells a hammer action 61 or 76 key keyboard. Someone finally entered this market (can't recall who) a few months ago with a freaking 49 key model (but still no 61 or 76 key model). Insane!

Eric
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1