New! Get Started sub-forum

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
Lynn
Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6117
Re:New! Get Started sub-forum 2010/07/19 11:40:49 (permalink)
John

I think the Sonar forum is filled will good long time members like yourself Billy. There are a lot of members that have been here since day one and have tried to be helpful at the same time learning Sonar. It is that combo that I believe allows for the interaction between those that really know Sonar and those trying to learn it keep going. Few newbies are going to debate sample rate on the first few postings or discuss the various pro and cons of a particular recording techniques in detail. Or relate an experience in recording that has proved useful to them.

Without that mix in the forum one or the other is going to suffer. Then I don't really see it as changing behavior. I know that when I open a new forum I could care less about the 'training wheels" section. I want to know what the guts are and what the "big boys" think about things. I sure don't want be in with people that are as clueless as I am.

None the less I hope this turns out to work. I do think its going to be an up hill battle to get the long term members to be here though. After all its going to take a conscious effort to come here for old timers to fraternize with newbies. 

We shall see how it goes.    

One of the best methods of learning is teaching.  Once new users master some of the intricacies of CW it becomes ingrained when they start explaining it to other users.  Hopefully that will happen here.   As users gain experience they will integrate into the rest of the forum, and perhaps questions and answers will become more knowledgeable and civil.
Best to all,
Lynn

All the best,
Lynn

my songs
www.soundclick.com/lynnwilson

www.youtube.com/lywilson
my videos

Cakewalk by Bandlab| Sonar Platinum @ 64bits| i7 860 | 8 gigs ram | W10 @ 64 bits | RME FF 400
Brandon Ryan [Roland]
Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3458
Re:New! Get Started sub-forum 2010/07/19 12:05:58 (permalink)
bsacco

What's the ETA on the roll out of these videos? 1 month? 6 months? 1 year?

This will all be a continuing series. We'll have a SONAR: Master Class video available this week which will lilely spawn some SONAR: Go Deeper videos as well. More in the SONAR: Get Started series should start popping up next week if not later this week.

The Go Deeper and the Get Started videos will come more often where the Master Class video will probably be something like once a month.

"The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel." WG

SONAR Platinum | VS-700 | A-800 PRO | PCAL i7 with SSD running Windows 8 x64 | Samsung 27" LCD @ 1920x1080 | Blue Sky monitors with BMC | All kinds of other stuff
Mesh
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 27360
Re:New! Get Started sub-forum 2010/07/19 12:23:02 (permalink)
I think this is a great idea and I personally appreciate any available resources that are there for Sonar. Will there be any videos on using ACT?

Thanks, 

Platinum Gaming DAW: AsRock Z77 Overclock Formula
I7 3770k @ 4.5GHz : 16GB RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X
250GB OS SSD : 3TB HDD : 1TB Sample HDD
Win 10 Pro x 64 : NH-D14 CPU Cooler 
HIS IceQ  2GB HD 7870
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
The_Forum_Monkeys
Brandon Ryan [Roland]
Re:New! Get Started sub-forum 2010/07/19 12:30:18 (permalink)
Mesh

I think this is a great idea and I personally appreciate any available resources that are there for Sonar. Will there be any videos on using ACT?

Thanks, 

There will be videos on using ACT, yes.

"The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel." WG

SONAR Platinum | VS-700 | A-800 PRO | PCAL i7 with SSD running Windows 8 x64 | Samsung 27" LCD @ 1920x1080 | Blue Sky monitors with BMC | All kinds of other stuff
Grem
Max Output Level: -19.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5562
Re:New! Get Started sub-forum 2010/07/19 14:05:53 (permalink)
Great idea Brandon.

I came on board with CWPA6 years ago. And it was mainly due to a support/news group that was very helpful. I have many CW products now.

I'll be visiting the Get Started forum. And trying to help as much as I can.

Grem

Michael

Music PC
i7 2600K; 64gb Ram; 3 256gb SSD, System, Samples, Audio; 1TB & 2TB Project Storage; 2TB system BkUp; RME FireFace 400; Win 10 Pro 64; CWbBL 64, 
Home PC
AMD FX 6300; 8gb Ram; 256 SSD sys; 2TB audio/samples; Realtek WASAPI; Win 10 Home 64; CWbBL 64 
Surface Pro 3
Win 10  i7 8gb RAM; CWbBL 64
Russell.Whaley
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2755
Re:New! Get Started sub-forum 2010/07/19 22:45:41 (permalink)
bsacco

I had to buy some lame ass video DYI for Sonar that fetaured a Scottish guy with an accent so thick it was like listening to Austin Powers' Fat Bastard... Not User friendly at all..

Gently, dude, please.  That would be Stuart, goes by the name Syrath here on the forums.  He's a very knowledgeable guy who happens to be from Scotland... and has helped a bunch of us here at one time or another.

I'm not saying you shouldn't be able to voice an opinion... just that a soft touch usually goes a lot farther.

Brandon Ryan [Roland]
Re:New! Get Started sub-forum 2010/07/19 22:50:41 (permalink)
Russell.Whaley

bsacco

I had to buy some lame ass video DYI for Sonar that fetaured a Scottish guy with an accent so thick it was like listening to Austin Powers' Fat Bastard... Not User friendly at all..

Gently, dude, please.  That would be Stuart, goes by the name Syrath here on the forums.  He's a very knowledgeable guy who happens to be from Scotland... and has helped a bunch of us here at one time or another.

I'm not saying you shouldn't be able to voice an opinion... just that a soft touch usually goes a lot farther.

Well stated Russell. Stuart is a "friend of the show" , and a helpful and knowledgeable person.
SongCraft
Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3902
Re:New! Get Started sub-forum 2010/07/20 17:08:24 (permalink)
The new Sub-Forum; it's a great idea :)

Although I think it might be better to make 'Get Started' a separate forum entirely because;

(1); Sub Forum; no description displayed on main index page.

(2); Sub Forum; no time/date + no last post detail displayed on main index page.

(3); Most of the video tutorials particularly in regards to getting started, initial setup, configurations, including 'Links' to CW/site such as; Tech-Tips, when moved in the new 'Get Started' forum would clear up a lot of those sticky's in the SONAR PE and SE forum.

Also, I would like to suggest a 'Video and GC Production' forum.  Discussions on related software, hardware and techniques.  Including topics on photography and web authoring (various coding, scripts, including flash).  IMHO Music and Visuals go together like Cake and icing ;)

-

T_Simpson
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2
Re:New! Get Started sub-forum 2010/07/20 19:13:52 (permalink)
I would like to say thank you to CW staff for making youtube vids (whoever it is that has made youtube vids and are on the CW channel) and creating a forum that is so easy to use. i am not someone that uses forums alot unless I cant find a vid to show me how to do thing, I have noticed that when using a forum it ain't always easy to find what you are looking for. All responsible for making this a great forum staff and users deserve praises. The getting started area is a great idea and as long as people can find it I beleive more people will be as greatful as i am. I haven't looked at the youtube vids lately but it would be a good idea if it ain't done already to postt a link to this forum as well as the main website. Also one last thing before I go, I only found this forum by pure luck as I wasn't looking for it but was looking for a solution to a problem I was facing yesterday.

Help...my eyes are burning

Sonar PE 7
Vista 64
PCR1
Delta 44
Cheese roll
Quavers
Ribeana
johnnyV
Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2677
Re:New! Get Started sub-forum 2010/07/20 19:42:50 (permalink)
When ever I have a question, I Google the question.
That almost always will land you smack dab in the middle of a thread of some forum. There are millions of them now. Before I was hip to general form etiquette, I would quickly go through the sign up and post a question, totally  oblivious to what branch of the form I was in. Sometimes old timers would politely answer questions, sometimes they would politely direct me to the proper sub form sometimes they would just ignore me.. So point is no matter how you try to organize it ( a forum) it will be disorganized cause that's the way people use the web to get info. We want an answer and we want it fast.
The Videos will be well used. Most of my guitar students do a lot of research this way. 
I still vote for a combined sub forum on all the non-software stuff.
I find it hard to navigate to all those software, interface, computer etc. Why not lump them together. A good bunch of questions asked here are related to hardware issues. Hardware is hardware, software is software. Mind you folks seem to always blame the software first don't they.

Sonar X3e Studio - Waiting for Professional
 Scarlett 6i6
Yamaha Gear= 01v - NSM 10 - DTX 400 - MG82cx
Roland Gear= A 49- GR 50 - TR 505 - Boss pedals
Tascam Gear=  DR 40 - US1641 -
Mackie Gear= Mix 8 - SRM 350's 
i5 Z97 3.2GHZ quad 16 Gig RAM W 8.1  home build
Taylor mini GS - G& L Tribute Tele - 72 Fender Princeton - TC BH 250 - Mooer and Outlaw Pedals  Korg 05/RW

A1MixMan
Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1706
Re:New! Get Started sub-forum 2010/07/20 22:24:46 (permalink)
Brandon Ryan [Cakewalk
]

We'll have a SONAR: Master Class video available this week which will lilely spawn some SONAR: Go Deeper videos as well.

I think this is a great idea, can't wait! Every good company (such as Cakewalk) should have video's like this for their software.

A1
DonM
Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4129
Re:New! Get Started sub-forum 2010/07/23 08:55:50 (permalink)
Brandon:

I haven't checked, but will searches cover both the main and sub forum.  

It seems that the editorial component of choosing what falls into the getting started section and the main section will be a sustained effort on someone's part when posts fall across sections - that not withstanding, searching across both forums in one search would be optimal - if that is already in place great.

I promise not to be offended when my posts get moved to the kiddie pool 

-D

johnnyV
Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2677
Re:New! Get Started sub-forum 2010/07/24 20:16:08 (permalink)
I think you should call it "CJ's Forum in honor of the long suffering helper of newbe questions.

Sonar X3e Studio - Waiting for Professional
 Scarlett 6i6
Yamaha Gear= 01v - NSM 10 - DTX 400 - MG82cx
Roland Gear= A 49- GR 50 - TR 505 - Boss pedals
Tascam Gear=  DR 40 - US1641 -
Mackie Gear= Mix 8 - SRM 350's 
i5 Z97 3.2GHZ quad 16 Gig RAM W 8.1  home build
Taylor mini GS - G& L Tribute Tele - 72 Fender Princeton - TC BH 250 - Mooer and Outlaw Pedals  Korg 05/RW

katrinaaa
Re:New! Get Started sub-forum 2010/07/28 05:07:19 (permalink)
It's a special topic for me , I get much useful information from it .thanks very much !
Mixwell63
  • Total Posts : 6
Re:New! Get Started sub-forum 2010/07/31 17:59:44 (permalink)
Would this be the place to ask noob questions?
kdrummer54
  • Total Posts : 20
Re:New! Get Started sub-forum 2010/08/01 01:39:25 (permalink)
In relation to Susan G's question: "What about having a notice of some sort (or a direct link), that alerts someone that there is such a forum when they first sign up?"

Is it possble to use RSS feeds to notify users?

Thanks,

kevin
post edited by kdrummer54 - 2010/08/01 01:43:19
huffy
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 173
Re:New! Get Started sub-forum 2010/08/01 04:56:31 (permalink)
Edit: Rethought this at a more sober hour, and decided that my post was mostly nonsense.  Please disperse.  Nothing to see here...
post edited by huffy - 2010/08/01 10:50:28
Chappel
Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2300
Re:New! Get Started sub-forum 2010/08/01 05:07:04 (permalink)
Mixwell63

Would this be the place to ask noob questions?

This isn't really the Get Started Sub-Forum, just a thread in the regular Sonar forum discussing the Get Started Sub-Forum.

The Get Started Sub-Forum can be found at

Get Started Sub-Forum

sandyeric
  • Total Posts : 20
Re:New! Get Started sub-forum 2010/08/15 22:37:14 (permalink)

Hello Brandon, thanks for the short list of videos regarding the lessons.
- Are they charged for and where does one find them?
I am not entirely a newbie but I still have some simple questions that need answers once and for all. Such as:
- How do i get a level that is fully useable  - and repeatable (as loud as needed but not clipping) and not needing to be boosted or cut  (or compressed) for each song and all tracks and seperate projects remain as close to the same levels thus reducing the amound of normalization required when the track is ready for mix-down to stereo or surround?
- Which video would address that arena and is it the same video that covers the mastering issues?
- Is each successive track additive on the final mixdown to stereo for example

On my last CDs (Cakewalk Pro audio ) I had serious level differences  between songs even though I took meticulous pains to prevent that from happening.

My present recording chain is (simple):
-     instrument OR mic to the Presonus Firestudio 26/26 interface {firewire} (individual channel level and master level out); (repeat as needed for other tracks)
-     Sonar  64 bit Vs 8.5.3... factory levels (0 db)
-    playback chain returns to Presonus I/F to my little Peavey RQ-200 mixer and powered studio monitors. (this of course won't affect the recording level ).

Thanks again,

Sandy

canus
  • Total Posts : 1
Re:New! Get Started sub-forum 2010/08/19 11:53:26 (permalink)
Hi Brandon: I'm trying to test the new version of SONAR 8.5, download from the Cakewalk web 32bit trail version, but... when it almost finished installing, it appears blue screen, I'm doing the test on my Toshiba Satellite L455 with Win 7,  Pentium Dual Core T4300 2GB Ram and onboard realtek soundcard.
Can you help me or indicate where do my consultation forum ??

Thanks for the help 
JazzSinger
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 895
Re:New! Get Started sub-forum 2010/08/20 12:41:09 (permalink)
Please, not videos.

You cannot search for something you know you saw somewhere,
you need a pc that is online,
you need cheap broadband,
it's usually on youtube which is blocked in some contries or companies.

It's OK if important stuff is included on the supplied DVDs.
itsmeRG
  • Total Posts : 18
Re:New! Get Started sub-forum 2010/08/22 17:28:06 (permalink)
TWO CENTS ...

For me, the hardest part about learning the Sonar record methods was that version after version after version of Sonar has video after video after video of people demonstrating midi, Boost 11, mixing, drum software etc and not "recording"!

Everyone I know plays in bands with amps and drums and vocals and needs to set up and record just like it's a tape machine. That is FIRST, but ever since we entered the digital world, those basics have been less than front and center.

Here is one example; with any basic tape machine I've used, I'd press record and play to record. Easy!   

With any multi track tape machine I've used, I'd make the connections, arm the track and press record and play to record. Easy!

When I moved to digital with a Roland VS2000CD, the manual was not in a user friendly sequence, but after I learned how to make the connections and arm the track, I'd press record and play to record.

When I moved to Sonar, I was baffled on the first recording day because I'd read about how to set the interface, make an audio track and select inputs, but I'd arm the track, see that record was red and press play. I did that over and over, not understanding why I could see the signal but it would not record. I backtracked all of my connection choices. I searched youtube and the manual for more info on basic recording, on recording with a mic etc. and finally read the manual's troubleshooting page where it says "make sure that you are pressing the record button and NOT PLAY". Problem solved! There's a new, secondary record button!

The tape machine crowd is still alive, so it may be a good idea to make a video from a tape recorder perspective. Beyond the frustrating part of getting past "how to record a live signal", I've found a lot of the Sonar 8.5 software to be pretty self explanatory, even for someone from the analog world! The plug ins follow hardware designs and logic, which is nice. The sound quality and options are very impressive.

It might be a good idea to bring in some people who know a little about analog recording, but may be intimidated by all of the new technology and find out what they need to know to get up and running and put that in a video AND the BEGINNING of the manual. I think it would help attract new Sonar users, including ones who never recorded at all but may be interested. It would be helpful to newcomers and could be a great marketing tool.
post edited by itsmeRG - 2010/08/22 17:43:31

GUITAR ... AND PLENTY OF IT

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/RICHIEGRIMES
Crg
  • Total Posts : 7719
Re:New! Get Started sub-forum 2010/08/23 16:05:32 (permalink)
itsmeRG

TWO CENTS ...

For me, the hardest part about learning the Sonar record methods was that version after version after version of Sonar has video after video after video of people demonstrating midi, Boost 11, mixing, drum software etc and not "recording"!

Everyone I know plays in bands with amps and drums and vocals and needs to set up and record just like it's a tape machine. That is FIRST, but ever since we entered the digital world, those basics have been less than front and center.

Here is one example; with any basic tape machine I've used, I'd press record and play to record. Easy!   

With any multi track tape machine I've used, I'd make the connections, arm the track and press record and play to record. Easy!

When I moved to digital with a Roland VS2000CD, the manual was not in a user friendly sequence, but after I learned how to make the connections and arm the track, I'd press record and play to record.

When I moved to Sonar, I was baffled on the first recording day because I'd read about how to set the interface, make an audio track and select inputs, but I'd arm the track, see that record was red and press play. I did that over and over, not understanding why I could see the signal but it would not record. I backtracked all of my connection choices. I searched youtube and the manual for more info on basic recording, on recording with a mic etc. and finally read the manual's troubleshooting page where it says "make sure that you are pressing the record button and NOT PLAY". Problem solved! There's a new, secondary record button!

The tape machine crowd is still alive, so it may be a good idea to make a video from a tape recorder perspective. Beyond the frustrating part of getting past "how to record a live signal", I've found a lot of the Sonar 8.5 software to be pretty self explanatory, even for someone from the analog world! The plug ins follow hardware designs and logic, which is nice. The sound quality and options are very impressive.

It might be a good idea to bring in some people who know a little about analog recording, but may be intimidated by all of the new technology and find out what they need to know to get up and running and put that in a video AND the BEGINNING of the manual. I think it would help attract new Sonar users, including ones who never recorded at all but may be interested. It would be helpful to newcomers and could be a great marketing tool.

You seem to have left out all the setup prior to press play and record which is basically the same with tape or digital.
The fact that you can now do it in Sonar or digitally in the computer is different but still basically the same chain if you build the project that way. There are differences in how you set things up-analog verses digital. It has to do with where you  create your "sound" and where you do A/D- D/A conversion. Certainly the difference between tape and digital is huge. Especially if you're the one buying the tape machine. It will be a long time before you ever hear the same resolution as high quality tape in the digital realm. But then most people can't hear it any way. ???

Craig DuBuc
rm5700@optonline.net
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 969
Re:New! Get Started sub-forum 2010/09/03 21:12:52 (permalink)
Brandon Ryan [Cakewalk
]

Atari + Master Tracks Pro (circa 1986).

That's the main program  I started with back then.  That was a really cool program at the time.   

Actually I dabbled with something on the Atari 400 before that, but can't
remember the name, Music Creator or something or other. It was on a cartridge.

Anway, I like this new section on the forum Brandon

Sonar X3 Producer, Toxic Biohazard IV, Rayblaster, Minimonsta, OP-X Pro II, kHS ONE, Melodyne Editor, Saurus, ElectraX, LuSH-101, Gladiator 2, Rapture, Dimension Pro, Wusikstation 7,  Nemesis, impOSCar2, Sampletank2xl, SonikSynth2,  Battery 3,  M-Audio Oxygene 25 and Audiophile 2496   
http://soundcloud.com/examigan 

pmdwyer
Re:New! Get Started sub-forum 2010/11/26 21:46:54 (permalink)
ok - I am new to Sonar, tho 25 years ago I was an avid Cakewalk user and producer. I am considering buying Sonar 8.0 heavily discounted at http://ishopgirl.com/cake...8-producer-edition.php for $99 with another $50 off for promotion code. Does seem wise? I am not worried about depth of features - God only knows how much more powerful any version of Sonar is compared to the old CW I used! Price is a big consideration tho. And I have always loved Roland products and have a ton of what must now be really old synths! JX-10, D-110, the old 550 sampler, etc. Big question is, can I control (or at least play) these old synths and other old midi instruments I own, all from Sonar?? Any advice, tips would be welcome!
Mike Trujillo [Cakewalk]
  • Total Posts : 27
Re:New! Get Started sub-forum 2010/11/27 11:24:10 (permalink)
pmdwyer

Big question is, can I control (or at least play) these old synths and other old midi instruments I own, all from Sonar?? Any advice, tips would be welcome!

You sure can! Just make sure you have an appropriate interface for sending the midi signal out to the synths and enough line inputs to handle the audio outs from the synths coming back into Sonar. You'll also be able to use one of your favorite keyboards to write the midi data going into Sonar.
Hope this helps!
doncobb
  • Total Posts : 31
Re:New! Get Started sub-forum 2010/12/05 23:31:59 (permalink)
Your link is fine, just like it is. I'm looking for help - newbie help - and your link was right there for me to find when I logged in here.

Thanks. Good lookin' out.

Don

Brandon Ryan [Cakewalk
]

I agree when looking at the entire forum list, it is a little hard to notice. Though when looking at SONAR forum itself it's big and bold and up top...very hard to miss.

I just wanted to get something started in order to help newbs and grizzled old vets alike. We'll tweak the organization.

doncobb
Re:New! Get Started sub-forum 2010/12/05 23:49:42 (permalink)
Me too. Master Tracks Pro. Since then I discovered Vegas and have used that ever since.

I upgraded to Sonar Producer and I'm excited about that, but I can't even figure out how to lay down a basic drum track so I can get started recording my new material. Using Vegas with drum loops was so simple. I'm hoping to use Cakewalk in a similar way. I'm pretty sure my Producer 8.5 came with Session Drummer 3 but all I can get to come up is SD 2. Even then, I thought there were some drum loops that came with this program but I can't find them nor can I get SD to create one. Can you please point me somewhere where I might learn how to access even a simple rock drum beat so I can lay some guitars, bass and vocals over it?

Thank you! I've been recording for years. I'm not as much of a stupid idiot as this circumstance makes me out to be. I'm very familiar with Vegas. I just don't know jack about how to record in Cakewalk. I used to. I used to use CW when I was using midi, but it's been years.

Thanks again...

Don
doncobb
Re:New! Get Started sub-forum 2010/12/06 00:12:21 (permalink)
I would love to find some "Get Started" videos to teach me how to get Session Drummer 3 to work. I can't find anything. I'll try googling it and see if there's anything on YouTube I guess.
Crg
  • Total Posts : 7719
Re:New! Get Started sub-forum 2010/12/06 19:27:26 (permalink)
doncobb

I would love to find some "Get Started" videos to teach me how to get Session Drummer 3 to work. I can't find anything. I'll try googling it and see if there's anything on YouTube I guess.

There are many get started videos for SD3 and SD3 has numerous drum loops-samples. It doesn't sound as if you've spent any time with it. You have opened the SD editor? You can't expect it to work like Vegas. If you're getting SD2 you upgraded from a previous version of Sonar and you need to redirect your plugin manager to SD3.

Craig DuBuc
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1