New Guitar

Author
57Gregy
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14404
2010/09/17 01:25:09 (permalink)

New Guitar

I was looking for a small guiter to throw in the trunk. Something to play during lunch.
While on my wanderings last week while waiting for my car to be repaired, I was looking at a Martin Backpacker and similar traveling guitars at GC. Two hunnerd bucks.
No.
So I bought a First Act Discovery Designer Guitar at WalMart* tonight. Twenty-seven bucks after my discount.
And it sounds like a $27 guitar, too.

Greg 
I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 

7 Replies Related Threads

EasTexGuy
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 160
    Re:New Guitar 2010/09/17 05:51:04 (permalink)
    ;-) It has been my experience through the years... if looks like a turd, smells like a turd and is in the pasture... yep! that'sa cow turd alright!

That being said... I'm reminded of that horrible looking thing Willie totes around. My stars, could there be a more unsiutable use for God's creation than turning it into that thing?! That being said... it has also, in the eyes of millions, become one of the most recognized, loved and enjoyed sounds ever to grace vinyl, tape or plastic.

Here's hoping you find the joy hiding in it someplace... :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ROFLMBO @ Mike ----v
    post edited by EasTexGuy - 2010/09/17 13:16:06

My Rig: Sonar X1 Studio - Vista 32 on AMD Quad Core @ 3ghz w/4 gig ram - Lexicon Lambda - Assorted Nuts, Bolts & Plugins - More Talent on order as well.
    The Maillard Reaction
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:New Guitar 2010/09/17 06:18:24 (permalink)
    Over the years I've enjoyed having a Canoe guitar. I get them for $30 at the truck stop and I don't hesitate to throw them in the bottom of the canoe when we go for an outing.

Playing a guitar that can't be tuned will teach you some new songs.

bapu
    • Total Posts : 86000
    Re:New Guitar 2010/09/19 15:13:14 (permalink)
    57Gregy

I was looking for a small guiter to throw in the trunk. Something to play during lunch.
    While on my wanderings last week while waiting for my car to be repaired, I was looking at a Martin Backpacker and similar traveling guitars at GC. Two hunnerd bucks.
    No.
    So I bought a First Act Discovery Designer Guitar at WalMart* tonight. Twenty-seven bucks after my discount.

Better record that thing on your Radio Shack cassette recorder with the built in mic then.

Jonbouy
    • Total Posts : 22562
    Re:New Guitar 2010/09/19 15:34:46 (permalink)

Canoe guitar

Bapu has one of those.

It's an Alembic bass (did you know Bapu has an Alembic?).  I said it looks great but canoe play it?

$27 though, I'm not sure that I would spend that much on a guitar given my skills on one.
    post edited by Jonbouy - 2010/09/19 15:36:13

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:New Guitar 2010/09/19 16:21:06 (permalink)
    well...for $27... I hope you were not expecting ...... anything really sweet.

It's good to have a "beater" guitar... if it gets broke, scratched, stolen... nobody really gives a flip... buy another and life goes on.

Something to have fun with....

I bought a $20 guitar with a case at a yard sale..... man it was ugly, grotesque almost... dark green, with switches on stuff on it.... it was tacky looking.... anyway, I carried it to the gig that night..... plugged it in and tuned it up.... Oh I did put some new EB super slinks on it.... turned on the boogie.... and what ear torturing thin tone...and the feedback.... oh my.  Unplugged it after one or two songs and grabbed my Gibson, and to think I almost left the Gibson home that night... sure glad I didn't.

End of the night.... the soundman said he wanted to buy it.. so I sold it to him... $25... to cover the new set of strings.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    slartabartfast
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5289
    Re:New Guitar 2010/09/19 16:54:31 (permalink)

And the amount of grieving you will do when it gets smashed or stolen is worth about $27. There is a place in the universe for a cheap instrument. The trunk of your car is one such place.
    bapu
    • Total Posts : 86000
    Re:New Guitar 2010/09/19 17:09:23 (permalink)
    Jonbouy

Canoe guitar

Bapu has one of those.

It's an Alembic bass (did you know Bapu has an Alembic?).  I said it looks great but canoe play it?

$27 though, I'm not sure that I would spend that much on a guitar given my skills on one.

LSHACOMN

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1