New Hardware & Solo Piano Meanderings...

Author
Purple Rhapsody
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 469
2011/12/25 15:41:03 (permalink)

New Hardware & Solo Piano Meanderings...

Hi,

Merry Christmas to one and all (and if you don't celebrate Christmas then Merry Sunday to you!!!).

I've been taking some time out from family activities to test out the new audio/MIDI interface that Father Christmas left under my tree last night.... here's the link to the music http://soundcloud.com/purplerhapsody/meanderings-in-f-minor

I've been playing this one on and off for a couple of weeks and I think it's almost at it's final version and I think this is probably the first track I've recorded with lots of use of the 'middle' peddle on my Clavinova - it works just like the middle pedal on a grand piano - i.e. the notes that are currently held down are sustained until the peddle is lifted but no other notes are. There's gratuitous use of it for the left hand "pedal notes" from 2:30 onwards!

The new audio interface is an Echo Gina 3G (http://www.echoaudio.com/Products/PCI/Gina3G/index.php)

It sounds to me like it's pretty good at recording the MIDI from my Clavinova, playing it back through the MIDI out, and recording it through the Audio interface... and then mixing down to stereo...!

Cheers,
Terry.

Purple Rhapsody - emotions without words http://purplerhapsody.co.uk/

10 Replies Related Threads

BretB
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 508
    Re:New Hardware & Solo Piano Meanderings... 2011/12/25 18:10:40 (permalink)
    You are good and must have been good to get a great gift.  Thanks for sharing it with us.

Sonar Platinum - A&H ZED R16 - KRK VXT4's - Yamaha DTXpress IV & Gretsch Catalina Maple kits

"Music is what feelings sound like"
    https://soundcloud.com/bret575b
    Janet
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8094
    Re:New Hardware & Solo Piano Meanderings... 2011/12/25 21:29:54 (permalink)
    Oh. My. Goodness.  That's beautiful!  OK, I'll admit I was a little impatient for it to get going.  (not your bad...all mine.)  But by 1:22 I was totally drawn in.  Wow..that's some gorgeous playing.  Sounds like something an orchestra would play. But who needs an orchestra when YOU can play it?!  That part at 2:02-2:20 is especially gorgeous.  I love the end part too (from 2:30 on.)  Honestly, I can't hear the middle pedal, but that's mostly because I don't know much about it.  Cool ending too...nice surprise.  

Encore!!!

Scoobie
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 263
    Re:New Hardware & Solo Piano Meanderings... 2011/12/25 21:32:58 (permalink)
    Nice, Love your composition.
    Fine playing.

Enjoyed............ Tim

Outback Remote Recording,  16 or 24 track mobile rig.
    notnat
    Max Output Level: -23 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5236
    Re:New Hardware & Solo Piano Meanderings... 2011/12/25 23:42:45 (permalink)
    very well done Terry... new toyz... merry Christmas...
    Guitarpima
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4125
    Re:New Hardware & Solo Piano Meanderings... 2011/12/26 00:17:58 (permalink)
    Sounds really cool mate. It reminds me of "Funeral for a friend" a lot. There's enough differences though.

Great job and enjoy the new toy!

Notation, the original DAW. Everything else is just rote. We are who we are and no more than another. Humans, you people are crazy.

Win 7 x64  X2  Intel DX58SO, Intel i7 920 2.66ghz 12gb DDR3  ASUS ATI EAH5750  650w PSU 4x WD HDs 320gb  DVD, DVD RW Eleven Rack, KRK Rokit 8s and 10s sub
    Purple Rhapsody
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 469
    Re:New Hardware & Solo Piano Meanderings... 2011/12/26 17:03:56 (permalink)
    Hi,

Thanks all for listening and taking the time to comment.

@BretB - yes, I was lucky that Father Christmas wasn't looking at the times I've been bad this year ;-). Thanks for your positive comment.

@Tim - thanks for listening, glad you enjoyed it.

@notnat - thanks! New toyz are always great!

@Guitarpima - I'm not overly familiar with Funeral For A Friend (I presume you mean the Elton John track, not the band) so any similarities are purely accidental. Glad you found it cool!

@Janet - Glad you liked it. It's always good to get positive feedback from another pianist. If I were to orchestrate this some bits would have to be quite different (unless it was orchestra + piano). Normally when someone says they liked the end I assume they mean that they were glad when it was over ;-) but I know you wouldn't be that cruel! I'm a very heavy user of the sustain pedal and so the middle pedal takes a bit of getting used to, but it's definitely worth it if you want the root of a chord to be sustained but not the notes above it (I know there are probably better uses of it, but that's what I've found it to be good for). Thanks for listening, and for the glowing report! As for an encore... well, time will see one get posted I'm sure!

Thanks again everyone.

Cheers,
    Terry.

Purple Rhapsody - emotions without words http://purplerhapsody.co.uk/
    Janet
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8094
    Re:New Hardware & Solo Piano Meanderings... 2011/12/26 17:11:37 (permalink)
    Yes, I meant that I like how you resolved all that energy and emotion to something calming at the end...and it didn't seem abrupt.  

I'll have to admit I don't the first thing about that middle pedal.  I should mess around with it on my other keyboard. Don't even have one on the keyboard in my studio so I doubt if I could record with it anyway.  Anyway, have fun. :)  
    gcolbert
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1176
    Re:New Hardware & Solo Piano Meanderings... 2011/12/26 17:26:07 (permalink)
    Normally when someone says they liked the end I assume they mean that they were glad when it was over ;-)

Note to self:  Never compliment someone on how they end a song.

So I was listening and thinking that it was pretty dramatic, then noticed the title.  Good piece of music, and I truly did like the way it meandered off at the end. 

Glen
    bandontherun19
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 824
    Re:New Hardware & Solo Piano Meanderings... 2011/12/26 20:23:02 (permalink)
    f-minor? This sounds like a pretty major accomplishment to me? :-)

All you need is love, just ask the Beatles?
    ----------
    Starise
    Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7563
    Re:New Hardware & Solo Piano Meanderings... 2011/12/26 20:50:09 (permalink)
      Good job Terry, great dynamics as the piece progresses. The setup you have seems to working well. You have  good imagination for melody and transition. Great job!

Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz, ASRock Extreme 4 LGA 2011-v3, 16 gig DDR4, ,
    3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 
    Laptop HP Omen i7 16gb 2/sdd with Focusrite interface.
     CbB, Studio One 4 Pro, Mixcraft 8, Ableton Live 10 

www.soundcloud.com/starise

Twitter @Rodein

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1