New Interface Considerations

Author
ruralrocker2010
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 616
2010/11/14 23:10:26 (permalink)

New Interface Considerations

Guys,

I'm considering this; http://www.guitarcenter.com/Yamaha-MG166CXUSB-16-Channel-USB-Mixer-With-Compression-and-Effects-104614698-i1322411.gc actually the one without effects built-in -100 cheaper.

As a replacement to my EMU-0404. Primarily because the EMU has a really crappy gain structure. I've been using an ART Studio V3 into the EMU to get a warmer feel. It works. But I've got to turn it down so low as not to clip on louder type music. Also my vocal monitoring situation is non-existant. I basically plug-in on ear phone and sing with my other ear uncovered because I can't seem to bring up my vocals over the entire mix without a bunch of maneuvering. 

What do you guys think?

Joshua Barnes
Sonar Platinum / RME UCX / i5 3.2 8 GB Memory (Dell Inspiron) / Komplete 10 / Win 7 Home 64 Bit

9 Replies Related Threads

RogerS
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 330
    Re:New Interface Considerations 2010/11/14 23:26:42 (permalink)
    That is probably a fine mixer. But keep in mind that if you're using it as an audio interface for your PC, you only get stereo through the USB.

PE 8.5.3,  Windows 7 Pro 64-bit,  i7 920,  GA-EX58-UD4P,  6gb Corsair DDR3,  2 x Barracuda 500gb,  HIS Radeon GS-4670 Fanless 1gb DDR3, dual 24" monitors,  Axiom 61,  Korg Triton Pro,  Focusrite Saffire Pro 40,  VG-99,  Yamaha MSP5,  Fostex PM0.5       
    ruralrocker2010
    Re:New Interface Considerations 2010/11/14 23:35:37 (permalink)
    mmmmm that would not be what I want! Thanks!

Joshua Barnes
    Sonar Platinum / RME UCX / i5 3.2 8 GB Memory (Dell Inspiron) / Komplete 10 / Win 7 Home 64 Bit
    mgh
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8594
    Re:New Interface Considerations 2010/11/15 07:35:24 (permalink)
    you could use a small mixer in front of your emu - what i do is have a soundcraft compact 4 before my audiofire. this works for me. the compact 4 is no more i think, shame as it was a perfect small mixer for the home studio. there are a lot of options though such as mackie, behringer, yamaha, allen and heath etc.

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:New Interface Considerations 2010/11/15 08:38:31 (permalink)
    You might wish to look at a new external interface. I use a Focusrite Saffire interface. I do not have any mixer at all.  I run my guitar from the POD2 or with a mic straight into the Saffire. It has a really nice set of preamps that totally eliminates the need for any external mixer/preamps.

When I first started using it like this it seemed a bit strange but my main concern was what did it sound like, and that was not a problem since the sound is clean.

On my input levels on the Saffire, I have the knob about 50% and rarely feel the need to adjust it regardless of the source...mic or Pod2.

As I understand it, the 0404 doesn't have preamps so you do need to have something to get the levels up.  Before you look at anything else, check out the Focusrite line and the other interfaces that have preamps built in. 

Have a look at Beagle's site and ask him for more interface models that fit this criteria.

The Saffire cost $250 at the time..... but by the time you buy a mixer and a soundcard.... you have that spent easily.   Actually, a quick search of the Focusrite site shows the new Saffire 6 USB seem to be the current replacement for the model I have... it is USB not firewire which is good either way...... USB seems to be the standard now..... and the price in the search page was showing $200 average for this unit, and it has the famous Focusrite preamps.....

Saffire 6 review

Pretty good deal. If my Saffire ever dies, as I suspect that one day it might, I would be at the music store same day, or next, buying another Saffire. No doubt, no hesitation. And the sales geeks would have a very difficult job convincing me to buy anything else. Saffire rules as far as I'm concerned.

Did I say I like the Saffire?

One more thing: the Saffire comes with a software mixer that has a few FX... reverb, EQ and compression, built in. These are pretty sweet. I set them by the basic presets and let them be. I never go in to adjust them. Very light, and transparent is how I like them to be. You also set the overall levels for input and out put in this mixer. Again, I have them set, adjusted to my liking, and never touch them. Any levels are adjusted in the DAW.

By all means do your research and ask questions if you have any. I use the Saffire and so does Gregy57. We both love it.
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2010/11/15 08:45:17

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:New Interface Considerations 2010/11/15 11:22:12 (permalink)
    If you are primarily recording yourself you shouldn't need a mixer - the emu should be fine.  Martin Walker uses the emu as a benchmark convertor.  Patchmix is a bear - I'd look there if your signal is too hot.  If not, there are sub $100 step down adaptors that might solve your problem.

A mixer does solve a lot of problems, tho, esp. if you are recording a band.  However, I'd be wary of the quality of convertors in a cheap USB mixer.  The emu is probably better.  A regular mixer (w/o cheap dsp) would also solve your problem, and there are a bunch of them (some listed above) which should work fine for submixing to emu.  IF you can't get a decent level in Patchmix, that's the route I'd try.  Simple is usually better, and a mixer will work for other purposes when you get a different card.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Guitarhacker
    Re:New Interface Considerations 2010/11/15 12:33:58 (permalink)
    AT brought back some bad memories about the 0404. I used to have a PCI 0404 in an earlier computer and version of Cakewalk..... when it used to be called Cakewalk. The patchmix was a PITA big time. Almost every time I recorded I needed to call the tech support guys to help me set it up.... to me it was nothing short of frustrating and confusing.

I sold the 0404 on Ebay and went in a different direction for a few years. THen I decided to get back into recording and got my current rigs.

BMI/NSAI

ruralrocker2010
    Re:New Interface Considerations 2010/11/15 18:04:48 (permalink)
    Well, actually does the EMU not have a premap? I think it does. That's not really the problem. I wanted tubes to see if I could analogize the signal. I think that works.

But! The problem is, I have to have everything WAAAAAY down in order to capture a signal...and the EMU's shelf is quite strange; 0 to 1 tick is like normal, then anything over that is clip. So I just don't understand.

I'll check out the saffire. The majority of my problem is having no ability to monitor vox on the way in without a lot of monkeying.

Maybe I should into the sound card interface. Not sure.
    Also, I don't like having to monkey all my cables. It's just me, but I have a pod, mics, Roland TD 6 and several instruments. SO that get's annoying fast.

Joshua Barnes
    Guitarhacker
    Re:New Interface Considerations 2010/11/15 20:21:27 (permalink)
    I take the signal going in to the DAW, and from the output of the Saffire (one of the 8 outputs) I send it to a stereo amp where I monitor the headphones and all my levels are sweet. I have no problems hearing anything. All those levels are set in the saffire software mixer.

BMI/NSAI

AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:New Interface Considerations 2010/11/16 00:06:10 (permalink)
    That might be the problem if you are putting a line signal from your art into a preamp on the 0404.  Maybe in patchmix there is a solution, but I've never used it.

As far as analogish sound, it is usually the transformers rather than tubes (esp. starved plate designs) that sound analog, along with other high-quality components.  A good transformer costs $75 and more.  The Groove Tube Brick was about the cheapest tube preamp that was above the low end.  The Focusrite ISA One or the Pre-73 (which I havent' heard yet) are about the cheapest high end preamps I've seen mentioned as "analogish."  Otherwise, I'd just be tempted to stick w/ the transformerless preamps in my interface.  The FirePod and the TC preamps are nothing to sneeze at.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1