New PC Advice Please

Author
Fly Agaric
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 131
2006/02/02 14:11:58 (permalink)

New PC Advice Please

I want to replace my Dell notebook with a more powerful desktop dedicated to my music interest. I'm ok with specs etc, but i would like to know wether or not to spend extra on a music specific machine (i.e. one that has noise dampened components). I do not and probably never will be recording vocals and drums etc as i work with soft synths mostly, so do i really need the quiet hard disks etc? If i don't and can spec a powerful Dell machine for example i would expect to get more for my money.

Any advice is much apreciated.

Matthew

7 Replies Related Threads

Autist
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 419
    RE: New PC Advice Please 2006/02/03 05:22:03 (permalink)
    A quiet machine doesn't have much to do with recording with mics, for the most part (mic'd recording isn' usually done in the same room as the computer). It has to do with actually hearing the computer running while listening/mixing. If you don't want to hear the roar of a tiny vacuum cleaner perpetually clouding the mix, then go for something quiet.

You would be best building your own system. The pre-audio-optimized are way more expensive than what they are worth and most off-the-shelf brands are too limited, or proprietary.
    Ignatius J Reilly
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 228
    RE: New PC Advice Please 2006/02/03 07:13:42 (permalink)
    In my (limited) experience, 'quiet' components still make noise and case/HD sound-proofing doesn't cut out the majority of the noise.
    The absolute best way to avoid computer noise is to record in a different room to the computer.

There was a recent thread about water cooled systems (do a search) but I would guess these are pricey and I have no idea how 'silent' they are.

You say you're not doing vocals/drums but are you doing any recording with mics?
    If not then I really wouldn't bother forking out for a music specific machine that has noise dampened components.
    Just make sure the spec is powerful enough for your needs.
    post edited by Ignatius J Reilly - 2006/02/03 07:18:44
    Autist
    RE: New PC Advice Please 2006/02/03 07:19:42 (permalink)
    You don't need anything fancy to quiet the computer down. There are quieter fans and cases. Quiet cases are made of steel and are less prone to vibration. They don't run as cool as flimsy aluminum sheet metal cases (not something to worry about because they are still cool enough), but they will cut down on the noise. You will still hear the computer if everything in the room is quiet, but you won't hear it over the music unless it is sitting on the next next to your face. You want the control room to be as quiet as possible, even if you aren't mic'ing in it.
    Muziekschuur
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 210
    RE: New PC Advice Please 2006/02/03 08:06:54 (permalink)
    Here is some DAW building advice from recommended DAW builders like ADK and others.

Power supply:
    450W minimum
    Antec, Coolmax, Zalman, Seasonic, ThermalTake, Coolermaster, Fortron, OCZ, Enermax, etc… Check that it meets ATX12 V2.0 spec (best) and that the 12V+ rail(s) provides 30A or more in total.

Memory:
    Memory:
    Check that the memory brand you intend to buy is compatible with your motherboard. Most can be checked on the web in motherboard manufacturer’s site or in memory manufacturer’s site. Note that information about memory compatibility in motherboard manufacturer’s site is often outdated. If both the memory or motherboard manufacturer’s site don’t say anything about motherboard with your intended memory, you can still ask in the manufacturer’s support forums or even this one :)

Choose Dual Channel kits of DDR400-DDR500/ DDR2 533 depending on your board supporting DDR1 or DDR2.
    Recommended for audio only DAWs: 2x 512M kits, or 2x 1G kits if it makes you happy.
    Audio + Midi DAWs: 2 x 1G Kits

Hard Disk Drive:
    All should now be 7200rpm or more.
    They can all be IDE, SATA or a blend of both.
    Best to use an IDE disk for OS. A small one 40-60G will do.
    Keep a separate fast drive for Audio and/or one for VSTi data folder.
    Audio drive: IDE/SATA any size, 7200rpm 8M cache for modest track count, SATA 36-74G, 10,000rpm for high track count.
    VSTi data folder: SATA or IDE 120-300G, 7200rpm 8M cache.

Video card:
    Matrox P650/750/APVe
    Nvidia/ATI: check for issues with motherboard on motherboard manufacturer’s support forum. Best to stay with basic cards, 6600 and X700 is more than enough for DAWs, there is no return in performance by using more expensive gaming cards from Nvidia/ATI. The ATI professional range is overpriced.

Box:
    Brand boxes have less razor blades inside them. Check the adequacy for the type of cooling you wish to go for (120mm quite fans, water cooling) and that it has the slots & sitting for your burner, HDDs. Important also is the spacing inside. If it is a cramped-up minibox, chances are that the cables inside will interrupt the flow of air and cause a heat build up.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Basic setups:

Less than 1500$

Asus or Gigabyte 945/955 Chipset
    Intel 820
    2 x 512M DDR2 533

Pros: for the most part problem free, ability for 2 video cards (unsure if this as a good thing) PCIe slot for possible future use.

Issues/Cons: no known issues with major players, only 3 PCI slots only 1 PCI buss. makes it hard to add UAD/Poco or Multiple interfaces.
    the buss does seem short on bandwidth. (EG: multi PCI cards)

1500-2000$

Asus A8V Deluxe/ MSI K8N Neo2/ MSI K8T Neo2/ Gigabyte K8NS Ultra 9
    X2 3800+ or higher
    2 x 512M or 2 x 1G DDR400 or DDR500

Pros: fast and outperforming opterons, good performance/price ratio

Cons:
    A8V may have issues with firewire Audio interfaces, no feed back on their use with Pocos
    MSI K8 may have issues with UADs
    K8NS Ultra 9 only has 3PCI slots, no feed back on their use with Poco

Around 3400$

Tyan 2885, Tyan 2895, Supermicro H8DCE
    AMD Opteron 246 x 2 or better
    minimum 4 sticks 512 DDR 400 ECC Reg (Numa Support)

Pros: All Dual Core ready, very fast, huge overhead, Multiple PCI buss for large I/O and Multiple cards with UAD etc., Killer live rigs, High 96K track count,

Cons: not DYI friendly

Around 5300$

AMD Opteron 275 x 2
    4 x 1G DDR 400 ECC Reg

Pros: Best performance

Cons:Expensive

I use Bagend speakers. You should hear em too.
    Autist
    RE: New PC Advice Please 2006/02/03 08:16:45 (permalink)
    You don't need to get memory sticks that are sold in pairs for dual channel, there's is nothing different about them than single sticks. You can get 2 single sticks of the same brand and type and that will be fine and you will probably pay less.

Brand boxes have less razor blades inside them.

I wound up in the hospital a few years ago because of this. Slashed me so bad it caused some nerve damage.
    Fly Agaric
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 131
    RE: New PC Advice Please 2006/02/03 13:38:44 (permalink)
    Thanks folks

I dont think i have sufficient Knowledge/Patience to build my own PC, so i will certainly have to buy something. I suppose i'll suffer some extra cost in order to get peace of mind.

I dont intend to do any recording with mics at all, and there is no chance of a separate room for such thing anyway. So it seems that any noise produced by the PC fans etc will just be a anoyance to me whilst creating my stuff (my existing notebook already does this - it sounds like a light aircraft). I think the outcome will be that i'll spec a custom PC from Red Sub or who ever.

Thanks to all for your input

Matthew
    saturdaysaint
    • Total Posts : 447
    RE: New PC Advice Please 2006/02/03 19:31:32 (permalink)
    This goes against the advice most people will give you, but I've been very happy with the off-the-shelf Gateway I got a few weeks ago. After replacing the power supply with a quiet Seasonic, the noise won't interfere with mixing (although I'm enclosing the hard-drive and getting a better case-fan to quiet things even more). The CPU is actually passively cooled with a giant aluminum heatsink, so it's really not a difficult system to quiet. I did the math and I actually saved a good deal of money doing it this way rather than building my own system, and using the Sonar 3 test, my performance has been completely in line with similarly configured systems that have been custom built. You save enough money going this route (unless, perhaps, you have your own copy of Windows XP or XP Pro) to justify spending a little bit on a nice PSU and hard-drive enclosure, IMO.

Here's what I got - link
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1