Helpful ReplyNew Platinum StudioCat Laptop

Author
Genghis
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 827
2018/05/31 14:56:16 (permalink)

New Platinum StudioCat Laptop

And yes, another thread about a StudioCat DAW.  This time around I went with a Platinum Laptop, as I wanted something that could be portable for recording a project I'm working on with some friends up north, as well as used in my studio with everything hooked up. (UAD Satellite USB, Faderport, etc.)  I really never wanted the restraints of a laptop, but this is really a step up in performance as well.  And it feels like it is built like a tank.  I'm a big boy, so I don't need a razor thin laptop that I can balance on my finger tip.  This thing is a winner all around.  Faster than my tower, which was still handling everything pretty well anyway.  Just seems smooth all around.

It took me a couple of days to get most of my software installed, but that was partly because I'm busy with other things. (Also kind of nice to leave out those plugins that I find myself no longer using.) 

I had a nice chat with Jim the day I got it, and may have to call him again with a couple of follow up questions on the home setup, where I need to keep more devices connected.  Only downside to calling Jim is that he's just like any of us, and we could end up spending too long talking about music and the fun toys we have. (He had me Gassing just a bit for an amp I really don't need and can't afford the last time we talked.)

My only challenge now is to not spend all day recording and playing around with this thing, as I have to finish prepping for a move that starts this weekend. :(  The good news on that is that in a few months I'll end up with a pretty nice studio setup in a much bigger space than I currently have, so there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

They call 'em fingers, but I've never seen 'em fing. 
My Music is Here
Studio Cat DAW
Mesh
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 27360
Re: New Platinum StudioCat Laptop 2018/05/31 15:43:05 (permalink)
Congrats on the new rig!!.....pic's and spec's please (or it didn't happen )

Platinum Gaming DAW: AsRock Z77 Overclock Formula
I7 3770k @ 4.5GHz : 16GB RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X
250GB OS SSD : 3TB HDD : 1TB Sample HDD
Win 10 Pro x 64 : NH-D14 CPU Cooler 
HIS IceQ  2GB HD 7870
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
The_Forum_Monkeys
The Maillard Reaction
  • Total Posts : 31918
2018/05/31 16:06:31 (permalink)

post edited by dj squarewave - 2018/06/02 12:16:28

Genghis
Re: New Platinum StudioCat Laptop 2018/05/31 16:49:56 (permalink)
dj squarewave
I really miss having a full DAW setup on my laptop but I do not miss having my laptop tethered to all the stuff that makes it a full DAW setup. It took me a while to figure out that my desktop case, keyboard, and display, were actually smaller than the boxes for the mics, mic stands, cables, preamps, converters, etc.

I always appreciate the chance to speak with Jim Roseberry, but I always feel guilty that I am encroaching into his work time. He is always so gracious and generous with his help, but I assume that there is always something more worthwhile for him to do than chat with me. :-)

Congratulations on your new DAW acquisition!!!

Ha, yeah, I started feeling guilty but it was Jim that apologized for taking up too much of my time.  After the computer tech talk we started in on Axe-FX III talk, which led to discussion of amps, which led to firing up my GAS for a Friedman.  I'm about to fire up my Friedman HBE patch and do some recording shortly, so I think that will keep me safe.

My Music is Here
Studio Cat DAW
Genghis
Re: New Platinum StudioCat Laptop 2018/05/31 17:03:47 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Mesh 2018/05/31 17:18:35
OK, you guys wanted a picture, so here it is.  The laptop is the 17" model and the second screen is 32" @1080p.  Note that this is my temporary setup until I get moved in a week or two.  Upgrading the second monitor to an even bigger 4K and may not even use the laptop screen when at home once I do that.

My Music is Here
Studio Cat DAW
Jim Roseberry
  • Total Posts : 9871
Re: New Platinum StudioCat Laptop 2018/05/31 19:18:06 (permalink)
Glad you like the new Laptop.  
Nice setup!  
May have to grab a Faderport-16 at GearFest.

Don't know if it's helpful... but there's a very gently used BE-100 at the Columbus, OH Guitar Center.  
I let it (and the OX) go... only because the size/weight.  
The sound was glorious... but reality of the space/cartage involved brought me back to reality.
Currently using a GT-1000 (live) and just got an Axe-FX III.
Trying to narrow down to just one... and it's a tough choice.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
Genghis
Re: New Platinum StudioCat Laptop 2018/05/31 19:37:07 (permalink)
Thanks for feeding me more GAS Jim.  I'm already slightly over budget on things, so I'll pass on it.  I should tell my buddy who loves souped up Marshalls. LOL

I still have my Mesa TC50, and as I mentioned when we were chatting I use EQ blocks in my Fractal box to get the most range I can out of it.  And I love the way the MIDI switching works on that amp.  Gives ya a ton of flexibility when combined with the right effects unit.  It will suit me fine as my one remaining tube amp, but even then I may end up going full on with the Axe-FX III even for the live setup. 

I'm on the wait list for the new controller and have a pedalboard case on order already.  Probably get the case first, but definitely going to use the Axe-FX III both live and in the studio.  I have this habit of using mics and thinking I have things sounding just right, and then I record a track thru the Axe-FX and go "wow, that is the sound I was trying to get, and it's so much easier on the old ears to do it that way."

I spent too much time this morning recording and arranging that new idea I put down last night:
  • Rhythm Guitars - 3 Tracks (kind like Randy used to do)
  • Bass Guitar - One track, but I was consolidating from a few takes while I worked out what I wanted it to sound like
  • Drums - Superior Drummer since I don't play drums and don't (yet) have a room to record someone in
Next Up EZ Keys for some nice pad arrangements or other weirdness as I figure out the rest.  Might even play around with some of the new features in Chord View in Studio One.  But that will be for another day.

Later All!

My Music is Here
Studio Cat DAW
gswitz
Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5694
Re: New Platinum StudioCat Laptop 2018/06/01 10:41:32 (permalink)
Sounds awesome. Enjoy!

StudioCat > I use Windows 10 and Sonar Platinum. I have a touch screen.
I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
thedukewestern
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 387
Re: New Platinum StudioCat Laptop 2018/06/06 20:37:24 (permalink)
Studiocat from Purrfect audio?

Be the first one who thinks that you can

Sonar Platinum, Windows 7 64 bit - clean install January 2016, Focusrite Pro 40, Outboard Pres, Native Instruments Komplete, Izotope, PSP, Melodyne, Vegetarian
Genghis
Re: New Platinum StudioCat Laptop 2018/06/07 00:07:24 (permalink)
Yes, Purrfect Audio.  Great machine.  Looking forward to finishing my move so I have time to enjoy it more.

My Music is Here
Studio Cat DAW
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1