Helpful ReplyNew Request for Playlist

Author
maltastudio
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 343
2016/03/15 13:40:38 (permalink)
5 (2)

New Request for Playlist

I really would like to see an option in Playlist to open projects in Read mode only,so it won`t ask you to save a project on stage.
Peace

Maltastudio

Win 10 home 64Bit  
Sonar Platinum Latest 64Bit  
Pro Tools 12.. Latest
Motu 624 AVB , Yamaha 01v96i
www.maltastudio.com
https://soundcloud.com/charlesmuscat
maltastudio
Re: New Request for Playlist 2016/03/15 15:58:49 (permalink)
+1 (1)
Anyone using Sonar Platinum on stage agree on this?
Peace

Maltastudio

Win 10 home 64Bit  
Pro Tools 12.. Latest
www.maltastudio.com
maltastudio
Re: New Request for Playlist 2016/03/16 07:17:23 (permalink)
Ok then the post was moved to features and new ideas,but nobody seems to use Sonar for live performance.
Maybe I should not as well.
Peace

Maltastudio

Win 10 home 64Bit  
Pro Tools 12.. Latest
www.maltastudio.com
maltastudio
Please make Playlist play in Read mode only. 2016/03/20 15:48:06 (permalink)
+1 (1)
The title says it all just an option to choose it.
Make Playlist play in Read mode only.
Peace

Maltastudio

Win 10 home 64Bit  
Pro Tools 12.. Latest
www.maltastudio.com
Sir William
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 166
Re: Please make Playlist play in Read mode only. 2016/03/20 17:37:05 (permalink)
I do occasionally and it's good to have my nanokontrol work the faders and knobs work FX levels, so I understand why a choice is a good thing.

Sonar - Platinum (always up to date)
PC - Dell XPS 13 7th Gen Intel i7, 500GB SSD, 16GB RAM, 2 x 27" HD monitors, connected via a D3100 DOCKING STATION.
OS - Windows 10 x64
Interface - Focusrite Scarlett 8i6, Yamaha MG12XU

Rack FX - TC Helicon Voiceworks Plus, TC Electronics M300
MIDI - M AUDIO Keystation PRO 88, Focusrite Scarlett 8i6, Roland UM-ONE Mk 2, Yamaha MU100R

Microphones - sE X1, AT 2035, Neumann TLM102
Monitors - Yamaha NS7, ATH-M50 'Phones
maltastudio
Re: New Request for Playlist 2016/03/21 02:56:45 (permalink)
I`ve been thinking about 3 years to use Sonar in my everyday one man band shows.
Last month i took the plunge and worked the whole project about 70 songs,with a avid duo fast track soundcard.
The main idea was to eliminate as much hardware as possible even for my live inputs ,the Guitar and the Mic.
You know what its awsome,if i new Sonar would be this stable on stage i would `ve done it 3 years ago.
The only problem is that i have to save or cancel everytime Playlist opens a project because TH2 is not reading patch changes as part of the project,its acting as if i changed the patch in real time.
Now this not an issue within Sonar it`s TH2 and alote of other plugins do this as well.
That is why i wish i had an option to open Playlist in Read mode only so I eliminate those 2 extra mouse clicks on stage,after all playlist is made for on stage live performance.
Peace

Maltastudio

Win 10 home 64Bit  
Pro Tools 12.. Latest
www.maltastudio.com
Notecrusher
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 579
Re: New Request for Playlist 2016/04/01 21:34:39 (permalink)
-1 (1)
Sonar is SO not setup for live performance and the playlist feature is seriously poor. Sure, this or that little annoyance can be tweaked, but this aspect of the program really needs a fresh look and a reboot.
tenfoot
Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2186
Re: New Request for Playlist 2016/04/02 04:13:22 (permalink)
+1 (1)
The playlist has it's quirks and could certainly use some love - but I still find it very usable (with the possible exception of one version of X2, when it broke), and certainly better than nothing, which many other DAWS have in its place. I guess it depends on your needs and the context of its use.

Bruce.

Sonar Platinum 2017-09, Studio One 3.5.3, Win 10 x64, Quad core i7, RME Fireface, Behringer X32 Producer, Behringer X32 Rack, Presonus Faderport, Lemure Software Controller (Android), Enttec DMXIS VST lighting controller, Xtempo POK.
Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2819
Re: New Request for Playlist 2016/04/08 01:37:51 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby tenfoot 2016/04/08 03:37:09
maltastudio
Ok then the post was moved to features and new ideas,but nobody seems to use Sonar for live performance.
Maybe I should not as well.
Peace

We use the playlist and control the entire live show (including backing tracks, video cues, live cams, ...) with it in what I consider a flexible and easily maintainable manner. Of course, it took us a while to figure out the best setup as Sonar needs to interact with other software on other PCs but really the current playlist is at the heart of the system - and it works fine and has not let us down in more than 2 years of increasingly more complex live setup.

There were numerous discussions on playlist functionality in this forum that showed that there are quite a few people using it (in ways that are more complex than we do) ... so you can't really say nobody uses it just because there is no response to a feature request.

Anyway, read-only would be good, thus I voted. IMHO it could actually be the default for the playlist e.g. when then "playlist enable" button is active

GOOD TUNES LAST FOREVER
  +++   Visit the Rehab   +++

DAW: Platinum/X3e, win10 64 bit, i7-3930K (6x3.2GHz), Asus Sabertooth X79, 32 GB DDR3 1600MHz, ATI HD 5450, 120 GB SSD OCZ Agility3, 2x 1TB WD HDD SATA 600
Audio-Interface: 2x MOTU 1248 AVB, Focusrite OctoPre, (Roland Octa-Capture)   Control-Surface: VS-700C 
VSTi: WAVES, NI K10u, FabFilter, IK, ... (too many really) 
maltastudio
Re: New Request for Playlist 2016/04/08 02:03:33 (permalink)
+1 (1)
Hi all, my aim was to eliminate as much hardware as possible, to carry every night.
I have enough compressors ,EQ and all the stuff that comes with Sonar and Pro tools.
So my concern was about the live ,guitar and Mic.
I always new that if i do it ,I`ll just have a mixed wave file as the backing track ,live guitar track, live vocal track,midi lyric track and a midi track to control TH2 guitar effect paches.
With all the small gliches Playlist have I did it anyway and i`m not going back,i`ll just keep fine tuning it.
In 10 min I`m setting up and the sound of the guitar and voc are much more in the mix when playing live now.

To Rehabrob your right , some are using it.
Peace

Maltastudio

Win 10 home 64Bit  
Pro Tools 12.. Latest
www.maltastudio.com
tenfoot
Re: New Request for Playlist 2016/04/08 03:34:21 (permalink)
RehabRob

We use the playlist and control the entire live show (including backing tracks, video cues, live cams, ...) with it in what I consider a flexible and easily maintainable manner. Of course, it took us a while to figure out the best setup as Sonar needs to interact with other software on other PCs but really the current playlist is at the heart of the system - and it works fine and has not let us down in more than 2 years of increasingly more complex live setup.

You may have seen this handy little beast already Rob, but if not check it out. I run it on the same laptop as Sonar,  Ableton live and Traktor DJ, though as a standalone linked via loopbe30 midi rather than as a vst insert so that it can be triggered by all 3 programs at different times during the show. I believe there is now a version that has two dmx universes. 

http://www.enttec.com/ind...=Products&pn=70570

Bruce.

Sonar Platinum 2017-09, Studio One 3.5.3, Win 10 x64, Quad core i7, RME Fireface, Behringer X32 Producer, Behringer X32 Rack, Presonus Faderport, Lemure Software Controller (Android), Enttec DMXIS VST lighting controller, Xtempo POK.
Sir William
Re: New Request for Playlist 2016/04/08 08:50:01 (permalink)
tenfoot
RehabRob

You may have seen this handy little beast already Rob, but if not check it out. I run it on the same laptop as Sonar,  Ableton live and Traktor DJ, though as a standalone linked via loopbe30 midi rather than as a vst insert so that it can be triggered by all 3 programs at different times during the show. I believe there is now a version that has two dmx universes. 

I currently use ShowBuddy and the DMXIS software/hardware, but as I use SPlat to produce my tracks, I would love to go the whole Sonar way and use playlists instead. Plus, I have found that ShowBuddy recently keeps 'hiccuping' during playback - the same tracks don't hiccup with WinAmp. 

I am interested tenfoot in whether you use the keypress in Sonar to play the next track, or the footswitch in DMXIS?

PC - Dell XPS 13 7th Gen Intel i7, 500GB SSD, 16GB RAM, 2 x 27" HD monitors, connected via a D3100 DOCKING STATION.
OS - Windows 10 x64

MIDI - M AUDIO Keystation PRO 88, Focusrite Scarlett 8i6, Roland UM-ONE Mk 2, Yamaha MU100R

Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
Re: New Request for Playlist 2016/04/08 11:15:28 (permalink)
tenfoot
RehabRob

Hey Bruce, are  you reading my mind or my cookies??? ;-)

I was researching this thing not too long ago wondering if it would be save to run it off the Sonar PC or MIDI controlled from the video PC. Your info helps a lot as light, fog & fireworks (or maybe just light) is to be integrated next ...

Are you using predefined light scenes that you trigger via MIDI or do you use MIDI CC from Sonar tracks to adjust DMX parameters continuously along the playback???

BTW, here's a tip for you: I use BOME MIDI translator PRO to manipulate MIDI signals into all sort of other commands (e.g. batch files which exchange config files for video show setup dynamically, or control a home-made teleprompter)

Rob

GOOD TUNES LAST FOREVER

DAW: Platinum/X3e, win10 64 bit, i7-3930K (6x3.2GHz), Asus Sabertooth X79, 32 GB DDR3 1600MHz, ATI HD 5450, 120 GB SSD OCZ Agility3, 2x 1TB WD HDD SATA 600
Audio-Interface: 2x MOTU 1248 AVB, Focusrite OctoPre, (Roland Octa-Capture)   Control-Surface: VS-700C 
tenfoot
Re: New Request for Playlist 2016/04/08 20:40:13 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby RehabRob 2016/04/10 05:35:32
RehabRob
tenfoot
RehabRob

Hey Bruce, are  you reading my mind or my cookies??? ;-)

I was researching this thing not too long ago wondering if it would be save to run it off the Sonar PC or MIDI controlled from the video PC. Your info helps a lot as light, fog & fireworks (or maybe just light) is to be integrated next ...

Are you using predefined light scenes that you trigger via MIDI or do you use MIDI CC from Sonar tracks to adjust DMX parameters continuously along the playback???

BTW, here's a tip for you: I use BOME MIDI translator PRO to manipulate MIDI signals into all sort of other commands (e.g. batch files which exchange config files for video show setup dynamically, or control a home-made teleprompter)

Rob

Hey Rob.

Haha - great minds and all that:) With DMXIS I trigger scenes using midi notes. I previously used a dmx dimmer thast utilised aftertouch messages, but there there is no need to use continuous controller's as the dmxis  software can do anything a dmx desk can, including channel masking and scene layering. For example, for continuous fades I send a single note that sets only the speed of the transition, and then a second note the triggers the scene I wish to fade to. For each chase I create a scene for each step, then trigger each step with a midi note. I have a project in Sonar with all of the scenes, chases and controls (smoke etc) saved as individually named clips. I have a track tremplate that loads 6 midi tracks (2 for bank changes, 4 for scene changes) and I just drag the midi clips across. Because each step of each chase is a midi note they automatically sync with the project tempo they are dragged into. Combined with masking and layering, there isn't much you can't do.

The other cool thing is it has batch settings and macros. For example, rather than having to refocus individual scenes in venues, you can set just the pan and tilt for who!e banks of scenes by adjusting one scene, then applying just the pan/tilt to the rest of the bank. 

It all takes a bit of thinking through to make it suit your circumstance. Once done though, it is brilliant. It plays vrry well with Sonar and is rock solid. I use loopbe30 as a virtual midi patch bay between Sonar, DMXIS, Ableton live, Trakjtor DJ, and 2 instances of Lemur for  remote control of the daw's.

It made much more sense for me to load DMXIS in stand alone mode and trigger the scenes via midi - it loads all scenes on startup and they stay resident, rather than having to load and unload with each song if you use it as a vst insert.

Thanks for the tip on Bome Midi translator - it looks great! Just jumping into the manual now.  I am guessing you won't be needing loopbe30 for virtual midi ports:)

Bruce.

tenfoot
Re: New Request for Playlist 2016/04/08 21:33:50 (permalink)
Sir William
tenfoot
RehabRob

I currently use ShowBuddy and the DMXIS software/hardware, but as I use SPlat to produce my tracks, I would love to go the whole Sonar way and use playlists instead. Plus, I have found that ShowBuddy recently keeps 'hiccuping' during playback - the same tracks don't hiccup with WinAmp. 

I am interested tenfoot in whether you use the keypress in Sonar to play the next track, or the footswitch in DMXIS?

Hey Sir William.

A fellow DMXIS user! I use a program called Lemur to remote control Sonar on either my phone or tablet. I just adapted the template to have only the controls I need for the playlist. Craig Anderton mentioned the X-tempo Pok in another post - I will be grabbing one of these before the next run of shows for sure:
http://www.xtempozone.com/

I haven't tried Show Buddy, the main reason being that I run multitrack backing, and they released it long after I had all of my lights programmed.  It is great to be able to stay in one piece of software from recording to performance. I highly recommend you give the playlist a try. I mentioned in the post above how I run DMXIS with Sonar in stand alone mode rather than as a vst.

You know I had forgotten all about the footswitch on the DMXIS, tucked away as it is in the back of my rack behind a dmx splitter! Thanks for the reminder. Is Sonar or windows able to see the input of that switch? Armed with Robs suggestion of the Bome Midi translator and yours of the dmxis footswitch, I am off to the studio to see if I can make that work:)

Very cool to chat with you guys taking the same approach to live production!

Bruce.

Sir William
Re: New Request for Playlist 2016/04/09 07:15:27 (permalink)
+1 (1)
See, bakers!! A playlist resurgence - give it some love!

OS - Windows 10 x64

Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
Re: New Request for Playlist 2016/04/10 05:35:19 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby tenfoot 2016/04/10 11:50:31
tenfoot

I have a project in Sonar with all of the scenes, chases and controls (smoke etc) saved as individually named clips. I have a track tremplate that loads 6 midi tracks (2 for bank changes, 4 for scene changes) and I just drag the midi clips across. Because each step of each chase is a midi note they automatically sync with the project tempo they are dragged into. Combined with masking and layering, there isn't much you can't do.

That's very valuable information to me as I use exactly the same approach to organize and maintain external FX control: templates with MIDI tracks, clips that I just drag and drop ... and I discovered it makes a lot of sense to write a simple instrument definition file so that the entire thing remains readable in the MIDI event list

An it's also good to hear that it is rock solid because it saves me time not having to search for alternative devices to test (as I was not sure that this low price tool can actually handle all that in a stable manner)

tenfoot

Thanks for the tip on Bome Midi translator - it looks great! Just jumping into the manual now.  I am guessing you won't be needing loopbe30 for virtual midi ports:)

I still use loopMIDI v1.0.5 (is that the same as "loopbe30" or not? anyway it's a simple virtual MIDI port) because it is so light on the system and together with MIDI translator PRO allowed me to create MIDI port replicas and circumnavigate the problem that some devices (like the X32 digi mixer) expose themselves under some different MIDI port names on different PCs and then screw up the Sonar setup (e.g. when projects are moved to the backup DAW).

One final tip, the MIDIMATE (also advertised in one of Craig's eZines) is wired into our racks. That's a really useful and reliable way to get MIDI in and out of PCs ...

GOOD TUNES LAST FOREVER

tenfoot
Re: New Request for Playlist 2016/04/10 11:33:47 (permalink)
RehabRob
[

I still use loopMIDI v1.0.5 (is that the same as "loopbe30" or not? anyway it's a simple virtual MIDI port) because it is so light on the system and together with MIDI translator PRO allowed me to create MIDI port replicas and circumnavigate the problem that some devices (like the X32 digi mixer) expose themselves under some different MIDI port names on different PCs and then screw up the Sonar setup (e.g. when projects are moved to the backup DAW).

One final tip, the MIDIMATE (also advertised in one of Craig's eZines) is wired into our racks. That's a really useful and reliable way to get MIDI in and out of PCs ...

The instrument definition is an excellent idea - thanks for that!

I was really surprised at how good DMXIS is for the money. In fact, even after I had programmed all of the lights and had it all running perfectly I purchased a second unit just in case of fgailure. Happy to report it has been a few years now and it is still floating around in the spares bag unused:)

Loopmidi is the same program - Ioopmidi30 just has 30 ports. It was called loopbe midi but Tobias changed the name a while back.

Haha - I suspect we have encountered many similar problems. I switch between my studio and live systems as well,  and use the X32 ( another piece of kit that has far exceeded my expectations). I have a producer and a rack version, and despite them using the same driver I ran into the port problem switching between the two. How I got around it was to install the X32 drivers and connect X32 producer, then backup the aud.ini and ttisseq files in Sonar. I then removed the X32 drivers, reinstalled them and connected the X32 Rack. Again, I backed up the two files. Now to switch between the two I just paste the appropriate files into their location, and the ports show up where they should. Sure beats reassigning a multitude of outputs!

You may already know this, but there are 4 files that contain all of the port location, midi output order etc that gets messed with when changing hardware or computers located @ users/[your username]/AppData/Roaming/Cakewalk/Sonar Platinum. They are AUD.ini, ctrlsurface.dat, INSTRMAP.INI, and TTSEQ.ini. If you open ttseq.ini in a text editor, you can also reorder things that dont have prefence settings like the order your midi inputs show up in your selection menus in Sonar, as well as crucial things like midi port output order. I have backups of these for both X32's and the RME that I use in the studio. It has saved me so much time and makes switching between hardware a breeze.

I will certainly check out the midimate - thanks:)

Bruce.

Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
Re: New Request for Playlist 2016/04/10 12:54:35 (permalink)
tenfoot

The instrument definition is an excellent idea - thanks for that!

yeah, go for it - it's a bit of a messy subject but you can figure it out in about 2 hours ... it's well worth it as it makes custom MIDI CC readable (e.g. it's much better to read "H9 control bypass" than MIDI CC 74 and then wonder what the heck it meant 6 months ago) ...

tenfoot

I was really surprised at how good DMXIS is for the money. In fact, even after I had programmed all of the lights and had it all running perfectly I purchased a second unit just in case of fgailure. Happy to report it has been a few years now and it is still floating around in the spares bag unused:)

same strategy here - have a backup of virtually anything you take on stage. backup DAW, even backup mixer, ... so it's good that this thing is low price :-)

tenfoot
Haha - I suspect we have encountered many similar problems. I switch between my studio and live systems as well,  and use the X32 ( another piece of kit that has far exceeded my expectations). I have a producer and a rack version, and despite them using the same driver I ran into the port problem switching between the two. How I got around it was to install the X32 drivers and connect X32 producer, then backup the aud.ini and ttisseq files in Sonar. I then removed the X32 drivers, reinstalled them and connected the X32 Rack. Again, I backed up the two files. Now to switch between the two I just paste the appropriate files into their location, and the ports show up where they should. Sure beats reassigning a multitude of outputs!

well, now similarities get worrying. don't post a picture of yourself - it might turn out looking like me ;-)

2 X32s working here  as well ... extremely happy with how they work. swapping files is a workable way (though I hadn't that figured out), but with LoopMIDI and MIDI translator I use the first to create a MIDI port of the "missing" X32 and the later just to MIDI pass-through-route from existing port to virtual replica of the missing one ... hence, in this case it's just starting 2 applications more (takes 2 seconds) if I have to go to the backup system ...

tenfoot
You may already know this, but there are 4 files that contain all of the port location, midi output order etc that gets messed with when changing hardware or computers located @ users/[your username]/AppData/Roaming/Cakewalk/Sonar Platinum. They are AUD.ini, ctrlsurface.dat, INSTRMAP.INI, and TTSEQ.ini. If you open ttseq.ini in a text editor, you can also reorder things that dont have prefence settings like the order your midi inputs show up in your selection menus in Sonar, as well as crucial things like midi port output order. I have backups of these for both X32's and the RME that I use in the studio. It has saved me so much time and makes switching between hardware a breeze.

I will certainly check out the midimate - thanks:)

learned something here again - thanks :-)

GOOD TUNES LAST FOREVER

tenfoot
Re: New Request for Playlist 2016/04/10 13:07:21 (permalink)
RehabRob

2 X32s working here  as well ... extremely happy with how they work. swapping files is a workable way (though I hadn't that figured out), but with LoopMIDI and MIDI translator I use the first to create a MIDI port of the "missing" X32 and the later just to MIDI pass-through-route from existing port to virtual replica of the missing one ... hence, in this case it's just starting 2 applications more (takes 2 seconds) if I have to go to the backup system ...

Ahhh - I like that. Very clever. I take it midi translator is light on resources, plays well with others and is solid then. Will load it up:)
Thanks.

Bruce.

maltastudio
Re: New Request for Playlist 2016/04/15 02:12:33 (permalink)
Just to remind what`s the title of this tread.

New Request for Playlist

I really would like to see an option in Playlist to open projects in Read mode only,so it won`t ask you to save a project on stage.
Peace

Maltastudio

Win 10 home 64Bit  
Pro Tools 12.. Latest
www.maltastudio.com
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1