New SONAR Demo Song Challenge!

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
shawn@trustmedia.tv
Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2136
2010/07/30 17:23:56 (permalink)

New SONAR Demo Song Challenge!

While this is not officially endorsed by CakeWalk, I am issuing a challenge to come up with a new demo song to play during the install of the next version of SONAR, the old one has been around to long and I don't think it cuts the cake if you know what I mean.

I've been working on an idea for a little while now, I think the song should only use the VST's and tools that come with SONAR, here is what I have so far, I hope you take the challenge because the better the demo song the more SONARs will sell.

http://www.trustmedia.tv/sonardemosong/

post edited by shawn@trustmedia.tv - 2010/08/01 19:20:41

Studio SONAR X3. Axiom 25 midi controller, DUNE 2, Producer Content, Good Times, Bandlab Mojo

43 Replies Related Threads

CJaysMusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30423
    Re:New SONAR Demo Song Challenge! 2010/07/30 17:36:26 (permalink)
    i think the song should only use the VSTs and tools that come with SONAR

So that leaves musicians out?? That's not a good idea..Cakewalk was built by musicians and run by musicians.

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    Chregg
    Max Output Level: -51.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2382
    Re:New SONAR Demo Song Challenge! 2010/07/30 17:41:03 (permalink)
    Dont really care for music during installs, the music strictly doesn't have to be softsynths?? a bit of everything. Getting the lp64 eq/mb fully functional (no audio mutes when tweeking) would be music to my ears
    shawn@trustmedia.tv
    Re:New SONAR Demo Song Challenge! 2010/07/30 17:46:05 (permalink)
    So that leaves musicians out?

Sorry about that, I was just thinking it would be cool to say it was made with stuff that came with SONAR, but if I think about it, my fingers and thoughts did not come bundled with SONAR so why not open it up to allow you to add some smokin guitar...but maybe use Guitar Rig LE for the effects CJay ; ). Good insight.

Studio SONAR X3. Axiom 25 midi controller, DUNE 2, Producer Content, Good Times, Bandlab Mojo

CJaysMusic
    Re:New SONAR Demo Song Challenge! 2010/07/30 17:52:44 (permalink)
    LOL, im just busting your chops Shawn

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    strikinglyhandsome1
    Max Output Level: -3 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7224
    Re:New SONAR Demo Song Challenge! 2010/07/30 18:15:27 (permalink)
    I've written a version of 4'33 called 2'46

It could be a winner.
    shawn@trustmedia.tv
    Re:New SONAR Demo Song Challenge! 2010/07/30 18:55:41 (permalink)
    CJaysMusic

i think the song should only use the VSTs and tools that come with SONAR

So that leaves musicians out?? That's not a good idea..Cakewalk was built by musicians and run by musicians.

In fact your right because the demo song they have right now is to "Electronica" for me, I used True Pianos in my song so far just to add some earthliness to the song,  a good guitar or bass part done analogly (is that a word?) would really add to what I have so far or any real instrument track is a good idea to include in the SONAR demo song. I however I have short fat fingers and no guitar and took about 2 months of cello lessons in middle school so I would have to colaborate with someone which I have no problem doing and is a good idea.  For now I'll stick with the tools that come with SONAR and maybe add some real tracks later on, it's a work in progress.

CJaysMusic
    Re:New SONAR Demo Song Challenge! 2010/07/30 20:08:05 (permalink)
    As far as the next version goes, its too late. The new version has been out and is being beta tested as we type.
    You'll have to wait for Sonar10
    Cj

Audio Blog
    LpMike75
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1621
    Re:New SONAR Demo Song Challenge! 2010/07/30 20:14:14 (permalink)
    CJaysMusic

As far as the next version goes, its too late. The new version has been out and is being beta tested as we type.
    You'll have to wait for Sonar10
    Cj

First I've heard of this, thanks for the info CJ.  Looks like I should start scraping together cans and bottles now so I am ready for the next upgrade

- Mike
    Sonar Platinum - M-Audio Profire 2626 , Pro Tools 11 HD Omni - PC I7 6850K - 64 G RAM - GeForce GTX 970
    http://www.soundcloud.com/michael-lizotte 
    Http://WWW.HomeRecordingWizard.Com
    HTTP://WWW.Facebook.com/HomeRecordingWizard
    Http://www.mjlmusic.com 
    shawn@trustmedia.tv
    Re:New SONAR Demo Song Challenge! 2010/08/01 15:30:10 (permalink)
    Played with the mix, Added a Session Drummer 3 track using the Led Zep kit,  the track is moving forward, next I think I'll see what Cyclone has to offer.

Check out the latest version:

dappa1
    Max Output Level: -46 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2949
    Re:New SONAR Demo Song Challenge! 2010/08/01 16:24:15 (permalink)
    To be Honest...this sounds Great!

I would like for Cakewalk to endorse the first song that is played it is a great advert for Sonar.

I must admit that I have been surprised of late...I am never one to say tat I am impressed with a product but since roland has stepped in I can only say that Cakewalk have really got a good product on their hands.

There advertising has gone from clumsy to well organised ad I must admit I like the direction that they are taking.

Clumsy maybe a harsh word...can I rephrase it!

sighs. lets say the believe in the product and direction was needed and I think it is due to Roland why this is taking place. I can talk about Sonar in the same breath as any other Pro Daw.

This community has bared long with Cake and I beleive that if there was a prize going for Daw of the year Cakewalk would definately get the biscuit oh crumbs!

Danny Danzi
    • Total Posts : 5810
    Re:New SONAR Demo Song Challenge! 2010/08/01 21:49:03 (permalink)
    shawn@trustmedia.tv

Played with the mix, Added a Session Drummer 3 track using the Led Zep kit,  the track is moving forward, next I think I'll see what Cyclone has to offer.

Hey Shawn, excellent job on both versions! I love them both and could hear them on the Sonar install screen for sure! I think I'm a bit partial to your first version though...mainly because I've been working up some sick guitar tracks for you. LOL! Nothing that you would like I don't think because I heavied it up with some crunchy stuff more like the Motley sound in your Harley logo...but it compliments really well. I'd love to hear the bass notes change a little more dominantly on this though. Like for example, the F to C# up to Eb. I'll show ya what I mean when I post a little something up for ya. When I make those changes using chords and have a bit more dominant low end, it really brings things over the top in my opinion. It even sounds nice over your little solo sections like that...but it sounds like you stay in F#minor for that part without any changes. It just breaks the monotony with the changes to C# and Eb...then again, the guitar changes there make it a bit more tension-esque which is kinda cool too. I'll post something up so you can give it a laugh...I'm having a blast with this though. So many things I can do with it...if only I could make up my mind. LOL! Great job man, I love it!

My Site
    Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
    shawn@trustmedia.tv
    Re:New SONAR Demo Song Challenge! 2010/08/02 13:34:13 (permalink)
    Danny,

As you can tell by my Harley Davidson Logo at the end I like CRUNCH and Real Guitars very much, I think it would be cool if you tried to used Guitar Rig 4 LE, the one that comes with SONAR to do effects on your guitar to add to the track, is that doable?

- Shawn

Danny Danzi

Hey Shawn, excellent job on both versions! I love them both and could hear them on the Sonar install screen for sure! I think I'm a bit partial to your first version though...mainly because I've been working up some sick guitar tracks for you. LOL! Nothing that you would like I don't think because I heavied it up with some crunchy stuff more like the Motley sound in your Harley logo...but it compliments really well. I'd love to hear the bass notes change a little more dominantly on this though. Like for example, the F to C# up to Eb. I'll show ya what I mean when I post a little something up for ya. When I make those changes using chords and have a bit more dominant low end, it really brings things over the top in my opinion. It even sounds nice over your little solo sections like that...but it sounds like you stay in F#minor for that part without any changes. It just breaks the monotony with the changes to C# and Eb...then again, the guitar changes there make it a bit more tension-esque which is kinda cool too. I'll post something up so you can give it a laugh...I'm having a blast with this though. So many things I can do with it...if only I could make up my mind. LOL! Great job man, I love it!

Nothing that you would like I don't think because I heavied it up with some crunchy stuff more like the Motley sound in your Harley logo

ba_midi
    • Total Posts : 14061
    Re:New SONAR Demo Song Challenge! 2010/08/02 17:01:43 (permalink)
    While this is not officially endorsed by CakeWalk, I am issuing a challenge to come up with a new demo song to play during the install of the next version of SONAR, the old one has been around to long and I don't think it cuts the cake if you know what I mean.

LOL - I did something SO similar close to 3 years ago - same Z3ta+ patch ...

check it out:
    www.ba-midi.com/music/files
    #46  ("Night Sifter")
    I'm not crazy about my 3 year old mix, but the similarities are self-evident.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

http://www.ba-midi.com/music/files
    Music gives me life, so I give life Music.
    Thanks for listening - Let's Dance to the rhythm of life! :)
    Danny Danzi
    Re:New SONAR Demo Song Challenge! 2010/08/02 18:27:07 (permalink)
    shawn@trustmedia.tv

Danny,

As you can tell by my Harley Davidson Logo at the end I like CRUNCH and Real Guitars very much, I think it would be cool if you tried to used Guitar Rig 4 LE, the one that comes with SONAR to do effects on your guitar to add to the track, is that doable?

- Shawn

Danny Danzi

Nothing that you would like I don't think because I heavied it up with some crunchy stuff more like the Motley sound in your Harley logo

Actually, no it wouldn't be possible unfortunately. I don't like that program at all and have since uninstalled it. Sorry Shawn. :(

My Site
    Danny Danzi
    Re:New SONAR Demo Song Challenge! 2010/08/02 18:28:43 (permalink)
    ba_midi

LOL - I did something SO similar close to 3 years ago - same Z3ta+ patch ...

check it out:
    www.ba-midi.com/music/files
    #46  ("Night Sifter")
    I'm not crazy about my 3 year old mix, but the similarities are self-evident.

LOL Billy, that's great!!! Nice job man, totally enjoyed that! It is kinda similar sounding....hahaha, too funny!

My Site
    shawn@trustmedia.tv
    Re:New SONAR Demo Song Challenge! 2010/08/02 19:04:34 (permalink)
    Well, I added a Roland Groove Syth Guitar with  a Guitar Rig effect and suddenly the track has taken on a "James Bond" feel.  Awating rippin chunky guitar by Danny Dannzi.

thomasabarnes
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3234
    Re:New SONAR Demo Song Challenge! 2010/08/02 19:43:40 (permalink)
    Shawn:

This is a good idea. However, if I click on any of the links you posted, all I get is a pic of SONAR. The same one under the link.

"It's not a song till it touches your heart. It's not a song till it tears you apart!" Lyrics of Amy Grant.

SONAR Platinum X64 (jBridge), Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit, Core i7 990X Extreme Edition Processor 3.46 GHz 6 Cores, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, Crucial Ballistix 24GB 1333MHz DDR3 @1333 MHz, TASCAM UH-7000, Behringer X-Touch, EVGA GTX 980TI Superclocked 6GB, 1TB Samsung EVO 850 SSD, 150GB, 320GB, 1TB 7200rpm HDDs
    Danny Danzi
    Re:New SONAR Demo Song Challenge! 2010/08/03 05:13:00 (permalink)
    Well Shawn, I know you're gonna hate this....I'm not sure I even like it. Sorry if I mutilated your song bro. I had so many ideas and hated them all. I also just lost my recording pc last week, so the quality of this is...umm....the almighty Realtek! LOL! Got a new pc on the way built by none other than our own Jim Roseberry...so maybe I'll take another stab at this with a really good soundcard and all my good gear. My apologies once again brother...but here it is. *gulp* http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4909348/SonarDemoDannyDanziGuitar.mp3

My Site
    thomasabarnes
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3234
    Re:New SONAR Demo Song Challenge! 2010/08/03 07:12:30 (permalink)
    Hi Shawn:

Installing the new Flash Player did it.

"It's not a song till it touches your heart. It's not a song till it tears you apart!" Lyrics of Amy Grant.

SONAR Platinum X64 (jBridge), Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit, Core i7 990X Extreme Edition Processor 3.46 GHz 6 Cores, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, Crucial Ballistix 24GB 1333MHz DDR3 @1333 MHz, TASCAM UH-7000, Behringer X-Touch, EVGA GTX 980TI Superclocked 6GB, 1TB Samsung EVO 850 SSD, 150GB, 320GB, 1TB 7200rpm HDDs
    shawn@trustmedia.tv
    Re:New SONAR Demo Song Challenge! 2010/08/03 18:53:00 (permalink)
    Danny Danzi

Well Shawn, I know you're gonna hate this....I'm not sure I even like it. Sorry if I mutilated your song bro. I had so many ideas and hated them all. I also just lost my recording pc last week, so the quality of this is...umm....the almighty Realtek! LOL! Got a new pc on the way built by none other than our own Jim Roseberry...so maybe I'll take another stab at this with a really good soundcard and all my good gear. My apologies once again brother...but here it is. *gulp* http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4909348/SonarDemoDannyDanziGuitar.mp3

Dude, you have to get me the tracks of your guitar part please if you can, this could blow up.  PLEASE GET ME THE TRACKS DANNY! ftp ftp ftp

- Shawn Lee

Kev999
    Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3922
    Re:New SONAR Demo Song Challenge! 2010/08/04 03:44:54 (permalink)
    ...to come up with a new demo song to play during the install of the next version of SONAR, the old one has been around to long and I don't think it cuts the cake if you know what I mean.
    I always have the sound turned off during any installation.  I was not even aware of the existence of a Sonar demo song.

SonarPlatinum(22.11.0.111)|Mixbus32C(4.3.19)|DigitalPerformer(9.5.1)|Reaper(5.77)
    FractalDesign:DefineR5|i7-6850k@4.1GHz|16GB@2666MHz-DDR4|MSI:GamingProCarbonX99a|Matrox:M9148(x2)|UAD2solo(6.5.2)|W7Ult-x64-SP1
    Audient:iD22+ASP800|KRK:VXT6|+various-outboard-gear|+guitars&basses, etc.
    Having fun at work lately
    shawn@trustmedia.tv
    Re:New SONAR Demo Song Challenge! 2010/08/04 11:45:21 (permalink)
    New mix, new photo.  UPDATE: Danny Dannzi is ftping his guitar tracks to possibly blow this song up!

shawn@trustmedia.tv
    Re:New SONAR Demo Song Challenge! 2010/08/04 14:06:08 (permalink)
    Ok, I downloaded the CakeWalk Bundle from Danny, opened it up in SONAR and pasted the tracks into my project and tweaked at The Second Street Coffee Shop...

Check It Out:

Jimbo 88
    Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1828
    Re:New SONAR Demo Song Challenge! 2010/08/04 15:42:40 (permalink)
    Hey....this does sound really good....
    shawn@trustmedia.tv
    Re:New SONAR Demo Song Challenge! 2010/08/04 16:08:22 (permalink)
    Make sure you REFRESH YOUR BROWSER when you visit the song page or you may se old versions cached in your PC.

Latest:

shawn@trustmedia.tv
    Re:New SONAR Demo Song Challenge! 2010/08/04 23:35:39 (permalink)
    Ok, it's late and progress has been made, turn up the volume. input is appreciated!

Special thanks to Danny again.

Jose7822
    • Total Posts : 10031
    Re:New SONAR Demo Song Challenge! 2010/08/05 00:44:32 (permalink)
    It basically needs more Danny.  He's an AMAZING guitarist, so take advantage of that my friend :-)

For example, what happened to the guitar riff on the B section and the solo he recorded?  Those were the best parts and they're not included in the latest version.  I like the new Guitar Riff at the end, and you also faded that away.  I did like the FX you applied on the delayed guitar part that Danny recorded.  That was cool!  Besides that, the Cymbal you're using is too thick for my taste.  I believe a higher pitch cymbal would sound better.

The track is getting better though.  Keep at it!

Intel Q9400 2.66 GHz
    8 GB of RAM @ 800 Mhz
    ATI Radeon HD 3650
    Windows 7 Professional (SP1) x64
    Cubase 6.03 x64
    Sonar PE 8.5.3 x64
    RME FireFace 400
    Frontier Design Alpha Track
    Studio Logic VMK-188 Plus

http://www.youtube.com/user/SonarHD
    shawn@trustmedia.tv
    Re:New SONAR Demo Song Challenge! 2010/08/05 01:06:50 (permalink)
    Ok, after playing with Danny's guitar all day, the final touch was Boost11 on the full mix, this really brought the punch back into my stuff because I had to pull back the levels so much to compensate for the crunch of the guitar, Boost11 took the full mix back to 11. ; )

Danny Danzi
    Re:New SONAR Demo Song Challenge! 2010/08/05 01:39:32 (permalink)
    Jose7822

It basically needs more Danny.  He's an AMAZING guitarist, so take advantage of that my friend :-)

For example, what happened to the guitar riff on the B section and the solo he recorded?  Those were the best parts and they're not included in the latest version.  I like the new Guitar Riff at the end, and you also faded that away.  I did like the FX you applied on the delayed guitar part that Danny recorded.  That was cool!  Besides that, the Cymbal you're using is too thick for my taste.  I believe a higher pitch cymbal would sound better.

The track is getting better though.  Keep at it!

Thanks Jose...very kind of you bro. I think the song is a matter of "engineer preference". My personal opinion is, I like Shawn's very first version without me even in it. The one at the top of the thread. I think that was the bomb right there. My second choice would be the one I posted up if indeed guitar (or at least extreme guitar or the type of guitar *I* play) was to be in the tune to crunch it up a bit. However, I just may not be the right guitarist for a song like this. The current version is probably my least favorite of the bunch. But it's not my call to make. This is Shawn's baby...and I was just happy to play a little something on it. So whatever he decides to use of mine or whatever, it's ok by me.

My choices for this (in order of importance) if I had the power would be:

1. The original in all it's glory...straight up and perfect to my ears. It doesn't need any guitar really other than maybe someone other than me. :)  http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4909348/SONAR%2520TEST%5B1%5D.mp3

2. My first attempt un-edited, which I'm still not crazy about, but feel it's a good mix of power guitar to the mix giving a bit of variety. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4909348/SonarDemoDannyDanziGuitar.mp3

Thanks for giving me the opportunity Shawn. Awesome piece you have here all by itself no matter what version you decide to use. :)

My Site
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1