New SSD for my Boot Drive - Question About Sample Libraries

Author
Genghis
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 827
2017/11/28 06:23:26 (permalink)

New SSD for my Boot Drive - Question About Sample Libraries

Well, I took advantage of some of the sales going on and replaced my 1TB hard disk boot drive with a 1TB Samsung EVO SSD.  Of course afterward I realized that I'm using less than half of that space for my OS and all of my applications.  I have a regular HDD for my projects drive, and a larger HDD for my samples. (Backups go to a big USB drive)  I've been doing it this way for years because that was the optimum way with mechanical HDDs.

I'm wondering if I might be good to move some of my more frequently used sample libraries over to my boot drive, since it is an SSD drive. I always kept them separated with the old HDDs for quicker access, but something tells me that it might be a good idea to run things like BFD off of the SSD, even though it's the same drive.  What say you tech gurus on this subject?

Thanks

They call 'em fingers, but I've never seen 'em fing. 
My Music is Here
Studio Cat DAW

10 Replies Related Threads

Jim Roseberry
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 9871
    Re: New SSD for my Boot Drive - Question About Sample Libraries 2017/11/28 11:25:51 (permalink)
    If you've got the budget (or perhaps a nice gift idea), I'd grab a smaller SSD and use that for your boot drive.
    If you keep it clean/lean, a 250GB SSD is fine for boot drive.
    Use the 1TB SSD for disk-streaming samples.
    That'll yield maximum performance.

If you're going to use the 1TB SSD for boot and disk-streaming samples, I'd at least partition it separately.
    That way... when you go to backup the boot drive, you're not backing up huge sample libraries each time (making the process slow/tedious and taking up massive space).

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re: New SSD for my Boot Drive - Question About Sample Libraries 2017/11/28 17:12:14 (permalink)
    I'd also recommend keeping samples and O/S physically separate. If you ever have to re-install the operating system or replace the drive, you'll be glad it contains only Windows.

However, you can take a hybrid approach. Keep all your sample libraries on a conventional drive, but duplicate the most-used ones on the SSD.

Create a batch file that calls XCOPY /D to copy them over. That way, if you ever do have to replace the SSD you can just run the batch program and you're back in business. If any of those libraries get updates, re-run the batch file to update the SSD copy. Whenever you add a new library that warrants being hosted on the SSD, just edit the batch file and re-run it.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    Genghis
    Re: New SSD for my Boot Drive - Question About Sample Libraries 2017/11/28 18:50:18 (permalink)
    Thanks for the suggestions guys.  I went ahead and partitioned the boot drive so I can keep the OS and programs on my C: partition, and have over 500GB for samples.  I'm also going to grab another large SSD for streaming-based samples, and most likely just use the partition for libraries that load into RAM so that they load faster.  I think the streaming libraries will benefit most from the separate drive.

My Music is Here
    Studio Cat DAW
    Rimshot
    Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4625
    Re: New SSD for my Boot Drive - Question About Sample Libraries 2017/11/29 04:17:15 (permalink)
    Funny coincidence. I am running out of room on my boot C: drive SSD so ordered a 500GB SSD today from Amazon for $139.00. Now I need to learn how to mirror the existing and replace with the new. 

Rimshot 

Sonar Platinum 64 (Lifer), Studio One V3.5, Notion 6, Steinberg UR44, Zoom R24, Purrrfect Audio Pro Studio DAW (Case: Silent Mid Tower, Power Supply: 600w quiet, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz (8 threads), RAM: 16GB DDR3/1600 
    , OS drive: 1TB HD, Audio drive: 1TB HD), Windows 10 x64 Anniversary, Equator D5 monitors, Faderport, FP8, Akai MPK261
    Genghis
    Re: New SSD for my Boot Drive - Question About Sample Libraries 2017/11/29 04:22:25 (permalink)
    The Samsung i got came with a program to clone the drive and swap it over. It was fairly painless. Didn't have any decent printed instructions, but you just install the software and run through the prompts.

On mine when i shut down to swap the drives out, it stayed on the message that says "preparing windows, do not shut down" for some time. I just let it do what it needs to do and swapped them when it finally shut down.

My Music is Here
    Studio Cat DAW
    Genghis
    Re: New SSD for my Boot Drive - Question About Sample Libraries 2017/11/29 04:22:25 (permalink)
    The Samsung i got came with a program to clone the drive and swap it over. It was fairly painless. Didn't have any decent printed instructions, but you just install the software and run through the prompts.

On mine when i shut down to swap the drives out, it stayed on the message that says "preparing windows, do not shut down" for some time. I just let it do what it needs to do and swapped them when it finally shut down.

My Music is Here
    Studio Cat DAW
    Genghis
    Oh nice. First post from my phone instead of the computer and I get dups.

My Music is Here
    Studio Cat DAW
    Billy86
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 362
    Re: New SSD for my Boot Drive - Question About Sample Libraries 2017/12/09 16:30:03 (permalink)
    Jim Roseberry
    If you've got the budget (or perhaps a nice gift idea), I'd grab a smaller SSD and use that for your boot drive.
    If you keep it clean/lean, a 250GB SSD is fine for boot drive.
    Use the 1TB SSD for disk-streaming samples.
    That'll yield maximum performance.

If you're going to use the 1TB SSD for boot and disk-streaming samples, I'd at least partition it separately.
    That way... when you go to backup the boot drive, you're not backing up huge sample libraries each time (making the process slow/tedious and taking up massive space).

In the process of figuring out the best configuration for using both an existing HDD and a planned new SSD. How can you tell what's a 'disc-streaming sample' and what's not? For example are Orange Tree sample libraries of the 'streaming' variety?

What does 'streaming' mean? Not loaded into RAM for use, but feeding into the VSTi instrument directly off the drive? Thanks for any insight.

Windows 10 x64 on a Dell/Intel i5, 500 Gig SSD, 32 gig RAM, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, Sonar Professional, Melodyne 4 Assistant, Kurzweil SP-76 stage piano, Baldwin RP 100 digital upright, Novation Impulse 25, Breedlove Pursuit Concert Acous/Elec, Fender American Standard Tele, Fender G-DEC 30 modeling amp, Sigma DM-5 Acoustic, Ovation MCS148 Celebrity Acous/Elec. Mandolin, Roland V-Drums TD-11KV, AKG P220, Yamaha MG82CX mixer, KRK Rokit 6 Powered Monitors, PreSonus FaderPort
    Genghis
    Re: New SSD for my Boot Drive - Question About Sample Libraries 2017/12/09 16:43:53 (permalink)
    Yes, Streaming means that it loads it from the drive as needed instead of loading the whole sample set into RAM.  Someone may come along with more (and more accurate) info, but off the top of my head, the ones I have that stream from disk are BFD3 and Kontakt (I think).  If I remember correctly, Superior Drummer loads into RAM, but I could be mistaken on the new one.

I ended up grabbing a second 1TB drive on sale and I'm finishing copying most of my main samples over to it now.  I figure that will be better than cramming Superior Drummer 3 on that partition.  Debating on moving Kontakt samples as well though.  Not sure they are as easy to navigate if you load an existing project.  BFD3 and Superior Drummer you just load them up and change the path. Easy Peazy.

My Music is Here
    Studio Cat DAW
    Billy86
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 362
    Re: New SSD for my Boot Drive - Question About Sample Libraries 2017/12/09 19:54:44 (permalink)
    Genghis
    Yes, Streaming means that it loads it from the drive as needed instead of loading the whole sample set into RAM.  Someone may come along with more (and more accurate) info, but off the top of my head, the ones I have that stream from disk are BFD3 and Kontakt (I think).  If I remember correctly, Superior Drummer loads into RAM, but I could be mistaken on the new one.

I ended up grabbing a second 1TB drive on sale and I'm finishing copying most of my main samples over to it now.  I figure that will be better than cramming Superior Drummer 3 on that partition.  Debating on moving Kontakt samples as well though.  Not sure they are as easy to navigate if you load an existing project.  BFD3 and Superior Drummer you just load them up and change the path. Easy Peazy.

Thank you for the information. 

I have some Kontakt instruments as well. Also Addictive Drums 2, Addictive Keys, Orange Tree Steel Strings, AAS's Strum GS-2, AIR's Hybrid 3 synth and DB-33 tone wheel organ... How did you figure out what streams and what doesn't? Would love to figure it out with my VSTi's! 

Windows 10 x64 on a Dell/Intel i5, 500 Gig SSD, 32 gig RAM, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, Sonar Professional, Melodyne 4 Assistant, Kurzweil SP-76 stage piano, Baldwin RP 100 digital upright, Novation Impulse 25, Breedlove Pursuit Concert Acous/Elec, Fender American Standard Tele, Fender G-DEC 30 modeling amp, Sigma DM-5 Acoustic, Ovation MCS148 Celebrity Acous/Elec. Mandolin, Roland V-Drums TD-11KV, AKG P220, Yamaha MG82CX mixer, KRK Rokit 6 Powered Monitors, PreSonus FaderPort
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1