New Song I wrote For my Wife- " Julie In White"

Author
Starise
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7563
2011/05/18 15:04:32 (permalink)

New Song I wrote For my Wife- " Julie In White"

I don't think I ever really finish one of my songs. This is what I was able to do so far.

http://soundcloud.com/starise/julie-in-white

Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz, ASRock Extreme 4 LGA 2011-v3, 16 gig DDR4, ,
3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 
Laptop HP Omen i7 16gb 2/sdd with Focusrite interface.
 CbB, Studio One 4 Pro, Mixcraft 8, Ableton Live 10 

www.soundcloud.com/starise

Twitter @Rodein

15 Replies Related Threads

radio
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2782
    Re:New Song I wrote For my Wife- " Julie In White" 2011/05/18 15:37:31 (permalink)

Wow this is cool , vocals I like too . You sort have alittle of Julian Lennon in your voice and in your song , very cool I like this one .
    One last comment , your vocals sound great but I'm hearing alittle too much reverb mix in the vocal mix .
    Just alitle dryer sound makes sense to me , very good song !

Radio

Starise
    Re:New Song I wrote For my Wife- " Julie In White" 2011/05/18 15:44:26 (permalink)
     Thanks I'm on a reverb habit and I can't seem to kick it. Appreciate your comments.

3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 

Twitter @Rodein

Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:New Song I wrote For my Wife- " Julie In White" 2011/05/18 15:53:05 (permalink)
    very cool song, Tim!  I really like the song, the structure and nice hook.

mix (forgive me in advance for being honest and to the point)
    friends don't let friends clone and time shift!  this, IMO, is the biggest mistake a home recordist can do.  the advice to do this is all over the internet because they did it with Lennon's voice because he didn't want to retrack.  but it doesn't translate as well to digital home recordists and ALWAYS introduces phase shifting/comb filtering and sounds really bad, IMO.

vocals are very susceptible to comb filtering, more so than any other instrument, IMO.  if you want "fatter vox" don't clone the tracks, retrack them.  do at least 3 tracks, use your best one for the main vocal straight down the middle, then pan the others hard right and left and lower their volume until you can just barely hear the differences in them, then lower it a little more.

the piano is very bright.  what softsynth are you using for piano?  very bright piano is good for rock/pop, but, IMO, it's not good for a ballad based on piano.  you need a good solid piano sound with lots of good sympathetic harmonics and good low end.

reverb is a good thing - when not overused.  back of the verb, especially on the vox.

good song - mix needs work.  all said in love!

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    logan86
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 133
    Re:New Song I wrote For my Wife- " Julie In White" 2011/05/18 19:23:40 (permalink)
    Well I'm blown away by this one. If you've never finished any of your songs then how does this sound like you're completely amazing on the piano :p

Honestly I'm just really impressed at your musical skills considering how modest your first post was. I do agree with others about the vocals though. They do need something, but maybe not quite so much what they have right now. They need something else. I think that Beagle knows what he's talking about with the piano as well. I would have liked to have heard a more deep and big sounding piano considering how good you obviously are at playing it! Anyway man, really nice song. Also I'm sure your wife is very pleased at having a song written for her. I've gotta remember to do that for my wife one day :)

Ali
    Bob Oister
    • Total Posts : 2766
    Re:New Song I wrote For my Wife- " Julie In White" 2011/05/18 21:01:24 (permalink)
    Hi, Tim,

Great job on this very uplifting, heartfelt ballad!

I'm on my fourth listen, and I definitely agree about the "Lennonesque" feel to the song, and the keys and vox sound really nice together.  Your playing is superb.

Two minor little things that I might suggest to possibly think about, if you are still working on the mix.  First, I also hear what Beagle mentioned about the comb filtering on the possibly cloned vocal tracks.  When I first moved to a DAW, I did the same thing to try to thicken up the vox during choruses, but I could never hear the comb filtering until I bought actual studio monitors and acoustically treated my room.  Then I was able to hear the phasing that everyone mentioned as an "effect" on my vocals.  The original high end consumer speakers that I was using as monitors just didn't allow me to hear it in my untreated room.  On this song, it seems to be most noticeable during the first line of the choruses.  Maybe a touch of panning like Reece mentioned, or possibly a "nudge" in either direction to one of the cloned tracks will help minimize it.  My other suggestion would be to throw a high pass filter on the vocal track somewhere between 80 to 120 hz, and then try a narrow filter cut, with a Q of maybe 4 or 6 at around 500 hz, with a dip of between 2.5 to 4.5 dB to clean up the low mids in the vocal track and make it stand out a bit better from the piano and strings.  Which, by the way, the piano and strings sound absolutely fantastic!

The snare drum sounds good, but I found it a little distracting panned way off to the left like it is, maybe centering it a bit will sound more natural.

Anyway, of course that's just a personal opinion/suggestion, and what I would do if it were my own song.  The song sounds really fantastic as is, and I'm sure that Julie is thrilled to be the inspiration of such a wonderful piece of emotionally creative music.

Excellent work, buddy!
    Bob
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:New Song I wrote For my Wife- " Julie In White" 2011/05/18 21:11:15 (permalink)
    Good song.

I do have to agree on the cloning/doubling. It is tempting to use the "tricks" to thicken a vocal. But it's better not to do that. Use the double tracking method Beagle mention IF you feel it is necessary to do that.

I think it is better to learn how to make a fat sounding vocal out of one good track. Not easy at times, but worth it once you get the details nailed down.

I also found the hard panned drums to be distracting. IMHO, drums and bass as well as lead vox should be pretty much down the center. Pan the other stuff but keep those tracks in the middle.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    radio
    • Total Posts : 2782
    Re:New Song I wrote For my Wife- " Julie In White" 2011/05/19 00:03:59 (permalink)

Hi again , sitting around waiting on dinner and took another listen .
    You nailed it from start to finished with your lyrics  , wish I could write song like that .
    I like your style of piano playing , sounds very professional .
    You might think about entering this one in a song contest , I bet you would go far with it as a winner !

Again , very cool song !
    post edited by radio - 2011/05/19 00:05:45

Bub
    Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7196
    Re:New Song I wrote For my Wife- " Julie In White" 2011/05/19 01:34:59 (permalink)
    Hi Starise,

Really nice song. I totally get the effect on the vocals, but it does need a little tweaking. One thing I do, and it takes me 20 ~ 30 takes sometimes because I am not a singer is, I sing the double part rather than clone it. There's a huge difference. You can get the effect you were going for, or blend it in so the vocal is fatter, but it's unheard.

I think the piano sound is really good but is a little distorted on the right. Could be an artifact of the MP3 on Soundcloud (they're known for that). I get what Herb is saying about the drums being panned, but again, it's personal preference. I was listening to The Beatles for the first time in a LONG time the other night and on some of their songs they hard panned the bass, snare, acoustic, vocals, they went crazy and it seemed to work out ok for them. :) The biggest thing I had with the snare you chose was, it didn't sound natural on the headphones I'm listening to it on.

It does need a little tweaking, but it's a great start. You're 95% there.

Bub

"I pulled the head off Elvis, filled Fred up to his pelvis, yaba daba do, the King is gone, and so are you."
    mgh
    • Total Posts : 8594
    Re:New Song I wrote For my Wife- " Julie In White" 2011/05/19 03:55:50 (permalink)
    great song, agree with what everyone else is saying, you can also add a touch of chorus to get that wider sound, that's something which was quite common on those 60s records...great piano playing!

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    Starise
    Re:New Song I wrote For my Wife- " Julie In White" 2011/05/19 10:22:46 (permalink)
     Beagle- Thanks for taking the time to listen to the tune. I wanted to color the chorus on purpose but the effect ended up being a little different than I had envisioned. I wanted a psychedelic effect kind of like " Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds"........I tried to do this by first changing the pitch of my voice in the chorus and then by adding a cakewalk modulation effect. I added a chorus with 6vo mix into each chorus clip. The effect was close but not quite there. It almost sounds like a flanger on "Lucy".
     The pitch change in my voice on the Chorus is at a part of my range that I don't consider a good tone. I think I could improve on it. Like someone else has said the vocals need something for sure.

I am using a Hardware Roland keyboard for the piano. Thanks for listening and for your input.

Ali- I appreciate your listening and I will take the suggestions to heart. I have only maybe had three piano lessons in my lifetime so I appreciate the compliments on my playing!

Bob- Thanks again for listening!! I think my studio setup is decent but maybe it was some judgments I made in trying to have a psychedelic sound in the chorus that got me into trouble. I will revisit the chorus...thanks again man your opinions are valuable to me.

Herb- I did track vocals out of a dedicated vocal unit IN STEREO...maybe a mistake,although I had thought it would add to the effect I attempted to get. I did try summing to mono and things didn't seem much different.Thinking outside the traditional engineer box is probably not a good idea but sometimes you can get a different good result. Trial and error here. Thanks for your comments!

Radio- THANKS!!

Bub- Thanks for listening! I  thought the same thing about the drums. Needs a little more work.

MGH-Yes I added the 6vo Cakewalk chorus, maybe a more traditional approach is in order. I appreciate your listening and your comments.

Twitter @Rodein

No How
    Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5180
    Re:New Song I wrote For my Wife- " Julie In White" 2011/05/19 10:37:01 (permalink)
    What a nice song to sing for your wife!!!

I like the song a lot.
    All of the comments on the mix were right on IMO.
    It's worth rolling up your sleeves and tweakin'

s o n g s

– Beauty lodged in a bad hotel has no value.  Raymond Lull
    Starise
    Re:New Song I wrote For my Wife- " Julie In White" 2011/05/19 10:47:15 (permalink)
     Yeah my wife cried and I wasn't sure if it was because the song was so bad or if she liked it lol.

Twitter @Rodein

vechung
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 818
    Re:New Song I wrote For my Wife- " Julie In White" 2011/05/19 10:55:33 (permalink)
    Nice song!  Keep the vocals clean unless you are doing trance or electronica. 

http://www.soundclick.com/vicentechung
    https://soundcloud.com/thefoundandthelost

Vicente 

Sonar Platinum, Live 10, Motu 828, Ozone 7
    Tap
    Max Output Level: -30 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4536
    Re:New Song I wrote For my Wife- " Julie In White" 2011/05/19 23:18:00 (permalink)
    Nice song. The bright, aggressive solo piano playing reminds me of John Cale.  Nice playing.
    I have to agree about the vocal effect, but in some aspects it does work but should be used sparingly on a ballad of this nature.

MC4 - M-Audio FW410 / Behringer UCA202 - Fender Strat / Jazzmaster / DuoSonic / Washburn / Peavy Foundation M-Audio Radium 49 Roland Juno 106 / JazzChorus / Seymore Duncan Convertible - HP A1230N ( AMD Athalon 3800+ 2G Ram + 200G HD )

http://soundclick.com/cut2thechaise

Janet
    • Total Posts : 8094
    Re:New Song I wrote For my Wife- " Julie In White" 2011/05/21 23:15:31 (permalink)
    Great lyrics, great tune, and I love the piano playing too.  You've got a great voice too.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1