New Song Post - Stir In Me

Author
jkim67
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 94
2005/02/23 16:24:21 (permalink)

New Song Post - Stir In Me

Hi folks, just posted a new song. It's a cover of a praise song. The original is from Todd Proctor. Vocals were done by Joshua Kim who leads praise at my church's youth group. Other than that, all the instruments, drum programming were done by myself. Would appreciate all your feedback.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/9/jamesyoungkimmusic.htm

Thanks!
James Kim

5 Replies Related Threads

G Mello
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7
    RE: New Song Post - Stir In Me 2005/02/24 12:18:55 (permalink)
    I like it!!! ;)
    zepo1a
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 686
    RE: New Song Post - Stir In Me 2005/02/24 14:46:21 (permalink)
    Was he eating the Microphone James, no windscreen??

Lots of metalic sounding "TTTT" "SSSS" and I thnk "PPPPP" popping going on there in places...

Otherwise pretty good mix.

Zep--

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=292801
    Now Featuring
    The Bestest Little Wing Solo EVAR!!!!!
    Blackbird (A Beatles Cover)
    and
    COAFBH (Or, How not to make a 4 track tape recording!)
    ed_mcg
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2741
    RE: New Song Post - Stir In Me 2005/02/24 15:48:25 (permalink)
    James,
    Good arrangement and well performed. The issue I hear are the lack of "crispness", especially on the drums and vocals. What kind of samples are used for the drums? Do have others that have more snap? Otherwise using some compression and eq'nig can help. The vocals could also use some compressioon and trim on the low-mids (300~400hz).
    jkim67
    RE: New Song Post - Stir In Me 2005/02/25 18:59:21 (permalink)
    Thanks for listening Zep!

Josh doesn't have any microphone technique being his first time recording in a 'studio' setting. I love his voice though! He's an extremely talented young kid. A bit of the Korean accent comes through which isn't all that bad, lends a bit of uniqueness to his delivery. But I think I should still coach him on articulation. Didn't do any EQ'ing on his voice, just compression and I think that brought out all the shrillness you mentioned. Gotta de-ess a bit.
    jkim67
    RE: New Song Post - Stir In Me 2005/02/25 19:04:58 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: ed_mcg

James,
    Good arrangement and well performed. The issue I hear are the lack of "crispness", especially on the drums and vocals. What kind of samples are used for the drums? Do have others that have more snap? Otherwise using some compression and eq'nig can help. The vocals could also use some compressioon and trim on the low-mids (300~400hz).

Ed, Thanks for the tips! I'll definitely try the trim on the low-mids. I also saw your post on G Mello's message and will be checking out the link to EQ & Compression. I tracked the vocals through a Distressor ratio 10:1 and then added a UAD 1176 on mild settings later. I don't think it's the compression, probably some EQ will fix it. Also might have added a touch too much reverb on the voice so it lacks 'crispness.'

On drums! lol! The bane of my life. I used the BFD this time around. It sounds great on it's own but gets buried in a mix. I'll have to experiment some more with it. I like the midi programming I did though. Just gotta get it to stand out a bit more. BFD is great but it's a memory hog on my measly 512megs. I have to work on the drums separate and then bounce to track before I can mix. Anybody else ever used the BFD? Got some advice on it?

Bill (G Mello) will be laying down some guitar tracks for this one soon, I'd just laid down some basic guitars. And I think we'll get a friend to lay down some female vocs alongside Joshua. Hopefully I'll have an updated version soon.

Thanks for listening.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1