New Song - Protractor

Author
the_user_formally_known_as_glennbo
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 317
2018/07/15 17:38:26 (permalink)

New Song - Protractor

My latest piece of . . . music.   ;)

All instruments and vocals are me on this one.

It's titled "Protractor" at:

https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13754630

Glennbo
---------------------------------------------------------
http://soundclick.com/glennbo

7 Replies Related Threads

Wayfarer
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 831
    Re: New Song - Protractor 2018/07/17 02:18:05 (permalink)
    Sounds good Glen. It seems that, like me, you mostly do instrumentals, so it's nice to hear you singing again.

My only observation is that the high-hat sticks out a bit. I'm not sure why. Maybe a bit too much top end on it or something.

Bill
    Re: New Song - Protractor 2018/07/17 19:39:28 (permalink)
    Wayfarer
    Sounds good Glen. It seems that, like me, you mostly do instrumentals, so it's nice to hear you singing again.

My only observation is that the high-hat sticks out a bit. I'm not sure why. Maybe a bit too much top end on it or something.

Thanks Bill.  You are right about the instrumentals. I'm much less intimidated by guitars and basses (even though drums are my axe), compared to a large diaphragm condenser vocal mic. 

I recorded the framework for this song as a simple bass, drums, with 6 and 12 string electrics for the whole rhythm track, and even started down the path of trying to write a strong melody for a long sustainy sounding guitar. I wasn't liking where I was going with it, so I hit my friend Polymod up to play something on it.  He had other stuff going on so after listening to it a bunch of times I thought I'd give it a go as a vocal song.

The hihat issue is something that bugs me too, and something I plan to address on my next recording adventure. The problem is mostly that I'm using my small 10" auxiliary remote hihats, and the snare mic makes them predominant, even when EQ'd or backed off volume wise. 

Here's an overhead of the kit where you can see the second hihat I'm referring to. The combination of them being much more articulate than the 14" hihats and being slightly in the cardioid pattern of the snare mic just puts them over the top when added to what's already in the overheads. My plan is to make a plastic shield for the SM58 on the snare so that it has side rejection, especially in the upper frequencies.

Glennbo

Wayfarer
    Re: New Song - Protractor 2018/07/19 02:10:50 (permalink)
    I wonder if you could put a pop filter on the mic rigged so that it would be on the side of the mic (rather than in front of it), so you could tape a piece of wood or something on the pop filter to help block out the high-hat? Know what I'm saying?

Bill
    Re: New Song - Protractor 2018/07/19 05:06:51 (permalink)
    Wayfarer
    I wonder if you could put a pop filter on the mic rigged so that it would be on the side of the mic (rather than in front of it), so you could tape a piece of wood or something on the pop filter to help block out the high-hat? Know what I'm saying?

Something like that would be easy to remove if need be. I was originally thinking of just cutting a hunk of plastic from something like a butter tub, and wrapping it around the ball of the SM58 then taping it so it stays wrapped.

I wouldn't mind if that mic only picked up what it's directly pointed at and nothing else, more like a shotgun mic or something.  BTW, that SM58 is almost 30 years old and ALL the internal foam windscreen completely deteriorated long ago and was dumped out of the mic, so it's really more like an SM57 with the empty ball of an SM58 on it.

Glennbo

Wayfarer
    Re: New Song - Protractor 2018/07/20 14:50:39 (permalink)
    That'll work too. Whatever's easiest. Easy's my middle name.

Bill
    eph221
    Max Output Level: -28.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4665
    Re: New Song - Protractor 2018/07/20 17:31:27 (permalink)
    Did you say you're retired?  I don't think I've ever heard that as a lyric in a song!:D  Great tune there glennbo.

*Q-TIPS ARE FUZZY!!*
     Is a lumineer a new dental appliance?  

i7 2.5 ghz
    32GB RAM
    WINDOWS 10
    My Ass
    Cubase 9.5

daryl1968
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10984
    Re: New Song - Protractor 2018/07/24 09:59:54 (permalink)
    nice song Glennbo - really enjoyed it
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1