New Song

Author
RGB
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 35
2007/05/19 20:37:06 (permalink)

New Song

Hello Again,
Here is a new song that I did using mostly loops. My friend Steve played bass and I played lead guitar.
This started out as just an experiment with loop construction. I had bought a bunch of loop CDs and wanted to play with them. The drums are from Mick Fleetwood (isn’t that cool) and the other instruments are from various other loops. Including, some Smartloops that came with Sonar 5PE.
This reminds me of a TV drama theme song. Let me know what you think.
Does anybody have issues with using loops in this way? Have we all heard these sax lines too may times? Or, do you think this is a valid way to work? Your opinions, please.
Thanks
Ron

"Faux Finger Funk"
My Songs

MusicXPC M3a laptop
2ghz, 2gbram, 100gb 7200rpm HD
Presonus Firebox
Sonar 5PE

19 Replies Related Threads

Coffeemessiah
    • Total Posts : 40
    RE: New Song 2007/05/21 00:48:20 (permalink)
    Hi Ron.
    I don't think that there is any issue with using loops this way. I have never used them (program everything), I tend to have really specific ideas about the drum part, and programming them works ok. These sound great. I think that you also get a lot more natural sounds using loops as opposed to synths. The horn loops are also a lot easier that arranging the parts I would imagine.

Sounds good, great bass and guitar work. Actually I listened to all of your sruff and it all sounds great.

Sonar Home Studio 6 XL 2.8ghz Duo Core Presonus Inspire Johnson J-Station Fender Stage 1000 and any gitfiddle I can lay my hands on
    ed_mcg
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2741
    RE: New Song 2007/05/21 07:30:41 (permalink)
    Yeah, I dug this!

Drums are little out front compared to everything else.

Guitar and bass are really kicking.

It's a shame that don't have TV show themes like this anymore.
    opaque slogan
    Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1787
    RE: New Song 2007/05/21 09:02:38 (permalink)
    Nice tone.
    I've got a bit of a problem with loop and construction kit CDs. There are "artists" out there making music virtually 100 percent with these things and effectively taking money out of the pockets of true artists who create music from the ground up. It's almost as bad as the big name DJs who sign a major record deal and have some talented producer make an album for them while they sit in the corner saying "and what does this do?"
    A talentless moron can make apparently good music with a loop/construction kit.

Mario kart SC, Nintendo Gameboy advance SP, Screen magnifier.

www.myspace.com/opaqueslogan (pre-sonar, raw and nasty)
    RGB
    RE: New Song 2007/05/21 15:41:36 (permalink)

Thanks for the comments.
    I’m sure that I will be using these loops, as Coffeemessiah suggested, sparingly and always with “real” instruments. I especially enjoy using the drum loops. But, if I had a studio and a killer drummer with great equipment, that is how I would go. In fact, that’s how I have always done it up till now.
    Opaque slogan, I don’t believe that I’m in the ”talentless moron” category yet., but I do get your point. If you have the luxury to use live musicians, yet you choose to use loops for whatever reason, your nuts. But, I don’t see a problem with using what you have to, to get your music across. Plus, several musicians, producers, engineers and studios were employed to create these construction kits.
    Anyway, that’s why I asked the question. I wish more folks would jump on this topic.
    Peace
    Ron
    Maxprizm
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 824
    RE: New Song 2007/05/21 17:17:03 (permalink)
    Ron, really excellent peice you have here. Sonicly it's dead on to me. The drums sound just sick and complement everything else really well. Loving some of that funky guitar also. The loop thing is a pretty touchy subject for some musicians. I think there is a big difference between getting a bunch of loops and pasting them all together and saying "Hey look what I wrote" and using them to enhance or compliment things that you have already created. I think as long as you bring something of yourself into it, it can be a great tool. I dont use em personally but I am sure there is that line where you either feel good about creating something or feel guilty because you really didn't create something. Someone else did and you just put it together. Not meaning "You" literally, just anyone dealing with this kind of stuff. I think people would sense the difference between the two. Even non musicians. Just my 2c.

Ed Edge

Coffeemessiah
    • Total Posts : 40
    RE: New Song 2007/05/21 23:20:22 (permalink)
    Ron, I think of loops as another tool. If you and I were each given a set of 1,000 samples and told to produce 3 minutes of music with it, you would get two completely different results based on our influences, personal taste.. whatever. As a guitarist, I spent years and years learning other people's licks and combined them to produce guitar solos. Essentially, I was using a loop collection, albiet one that was stored in my head and excecuted with my fingers. As I got beter, I relied less on the "licks" and more on what I wanted to hear and started to develop a style that was mine.

I don't think that grabbing a 16 bar sax solo and sticking it in as a featured part of the song has any value whatsoever, but do feel that they are valuable if abused correctly (like caffeine )

Opaque.. your point about the current state of production of hip hop is right on the money as far as I'm concerned. Someone is writing great music.. and the guy with the attitude and rhyming dictionary gets to be the artist.. doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Sorry to rant.. just my additional two cents.

Sonar Home Studio 6 XL 2.8ghz Duo Core Presonus Inspire Johnson J-Station Fender Stage 1000 and any gitfiddle I can lay my hands on
    RGB
    RE: New Song 2007/05/22 00:06:25 (permalink)
    Very thoughtful comments. Thanks for the kind words Ed.
    I agree that grabbing a sax solo and putting it into the song is not very creative. Which is basicaly what I did in this expeimental piece. But what about drum tracks? To me, editing drum loops is kind of like asking a drummer to play a certain beat in a song.
    Thoughts?
    Thanks for playing.
    Ron

My Music
    Glennb
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 313
    RE: New Song 2007/05/22 01:05:52 (permalink)
    To jump into this well debated and thought provoking topic......I am with opaque wrt using loops, however I understand RGB's position but wonder whether he has missed a third (better imo) option.

RGB, you say basically "well I use loops because I dont have a live drummer" well to that I say...you BE that live drummer. THat is what I do, maybe not that particullarly well. I CAN NOT play drums, but I programme in my own MIDI drum tracks. Therefore you programme in say the snare on beats 2 & 4, kick on 1 & 3 with a kick triplet on 3, or what ever fits the song. Then you run it through a softsynth with decent drum sounds and you are away. Another BIG advantage with this is that you are not using the loop as a seed for your writing. If I am trying to write something, I must have the drum tack "fit" what it is I am writing and I would imagine that if I was writing over a loop, then what you play/write is going to have to "fit" the loop and therefore is coloured by that loop. I would say that if you had the killer riff or song written in your head or hummed into a DAT, you would have to write your own drums?

Glenn

ORIGINAL: RGB

Very thoughtful comments. Thanks for the kind words Ed.
    I agree that grabbing a sax solo and putting it into the song is not very creative. Which is basicaly what I did in this expeimental piece. But what about drum tracks? To me, editing drum loops is kind of like asking a drummer to play a certain beat in a song.
    Thoughts?
    Thanks for playing.
    Ron

My Music

Glenn in Aus
    SHSXL6 on laptop with Intel i5 CPU M480 @ 2.67 GHZ 2.67GHz 4G RAM (2.86 usable?) 32Bit operating system on Windows 7 -> Presonus USB Audiobox.
    RGB
    RE: New Song 2007/05/23 00:13:29 (permalink)
    Thanks for your advice Glenn. I will explore the midi route. I am still new to this music in the computor thing,
    Thanks to all who took the time to talk about this. I learne a lot.
    Ron
    Frank Basile
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 466
    RE: New Song 2007/05/23 13:29:50 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: RGB

But, if I had a studio and a killer drummer with great equipment, that is how I would go. In fact, that’s how I have always done it up till now.

Hi Ron, you do have one... www.LiveStudioDrums.com

-Frank
    Live Multi-Track Drums for your Cakewalk Projects... http://www.LiveStudioDrums.com/
    darylcrowley
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2700
    RE: New Song 2007/05/23 16:59:03 (permalink)
    I use drum loops. I don't have a place or the means to record drums. So it's a necessity.

I personally don't have a problem with loops if you have used them to support what you have created. Drums are good example of something that fits that critiera. (This is MY criteria, mind you.)

But I have also have an issue if the actual groove or chord progression was from a canned product. Anyone (with varying degrees of sucess), can jam on a karaoke tract, but that is NOT writing music. It could however be a valid demo of playing abilty, but it's not writing music.

On the other hand, there certain can be an artistic conponent to loop construction, certainly some can produce far better results than others, hence a talent for it. And I even suppose that if the individual components are small enough, you could make an arguement that you "wrote it".

It's a fine line, as long as you like it and your not trying to mis-lead anyone then what's the problem. I really doubt you are putting anyone "out of work".

Some might say that "vibraphones" played by a synth are cheating, but using that logic then a Hammond B3 sound on anything but a B3 would be cheating. It's a matter of degrees.

Loops are a tool, use them where you must, and not where you don't have to. You should be fine.

Daryl
    post edited by darylcrowley - 2007/05/23 17:03:13

Daryl Crowley
    Sonica Labs I7 Quad Core -
    Windows 7 64bit Professional
    Sonar 8.5 Producer - Ozone 4
    http://www.darylcrowley.com/
    mcourter
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3442
    RE: New Song 2007/05/23 17:09:51 (permalink)
    I just don't see the problem with using loops. How is it any different than using any other sample or patch. All are used to do things you cannot do yourself. I don't have the luxury of using a live drummer or learning to play drums myself, and I'm not all that good at constructing my drum tracks with the Piano Roll (yet!), so I use the tools at my disposal. Just like I use my Toneport or an amp sim to get a sound I can't otherwise. Or a plugin. What's the difference? The fact is, we are using these tools for our own music, to support our own projects.

A few guitars, a couple of basses, a MIDI controller, a mandolin, a banjo, a mic, PodFarm2
    Unbridled Enthusiasm
     My music: www.Soundclick.com/markcourter
    fep
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1186
    RE: New Song 2007/05/23 18:22:41 (permalink)
    I think it was a fine experiment and you fully disclosed the loop usage. So, I don't think Opaque was pointing a finger at you. But when you use loops you must agree that some % of your song was written by someone else.

To me, the meat of songwritting is chord progression, melody, and lyrics (if any). So using a drum loop doesn't take much credit away from the songwritter. I don't see it much different than going into a studio and telling the drummer 'give me an 1/8th note feel on the high-hat and a standard backbeat with the snare and figure out the kick yourself'. That is vastly different than telling a studio keyboardist to 'give me a real cool chord progression and a beautiful melody', in this case your basically asking the keyboardist to write the song. That is how far you can take it with loops too.

Imo, the ideal is to create what you hear in your head first. If you try to do that you really can't use loops. Mozart didn't use loops, he didn't even have to use an instrument - straight from his mind to writting down the notation.
    CreatingNoise
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1666
    RE: New Song 2007/05/23 19:27:18 (permalink)
    Very cool piece!
    Interesting comments on the use of loops too. They obviously have their uses for people who are not in a position to form a band or who do not have the talent and/or knowledge to collaborate remotely (or are not a multi-instrumentalist). I also agree that you are using someone elses musical talent and in it's own way that seems to me to be a form of collaboration. There is a talent to putting together loops, maybe not a physical instrument playing talent but having the imagination and the talent with the technology is no small feat either. I see it akin to someone putting together a puzzle but with a twist, like using pieces from different puzzles and altering the pieces to make something new and unique. I have to say I see more pros than cons for loops. Of course that is coming from a guitar player who uses drum loops and who is not pursuing music for profit or even in a band. Different strokes for different folks. If it sounds good, it sounds good.
    It would be interesting to hear Mick Fleetwood's take on why (beyond money if that was a factor) he chose to contribute his drumming talent to be made into loops. I'd be willing to bet that people who have done that look at it as providing an opportunity to help people like me realize their own compositions, good or bad. I personally think it's cool the way the celebrity musicians can allow their music to be used by the everyday Joe through loops. Maybe I can find some Neil Peart and Geddy Lee loops for my future songs.......on second thought.....I'm not worthy!

RGB
    RE: New Song 2007/05/23 22:46:24 (permalink)
    Good stuff guys.
    Thanks
    Ron
    ToneCarver
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1655
    RE: New Song 2007/05/23 23:45:22 (permalink)
    Ron,

Nice happy tune, great up vibe, and good changeup of instruments throughout. A toe tapper.

As far as using loops ... well, I use a cheesy drum machine with canned rhythm patterns just to get some kind of almost regular-ish sounding percussion since I know almost nothing about drum patterns and have had hit-and-miss results (no pun intended ) trying to play in the drum parts from my keyboard. I think using loops is fine as long as the artist is willing to admit it and give credit where credit is due. I prefer and place a higher value on music without loops but I recognize that using loops has its place in the world of music making. Loops are just creative raw materials and, I suppose, with the right creative insight and application could be made to communicate as artisticly and effectively as manually articulated material, and not just be a paint-by-number kind of experience. Just my 2c.

Bill

Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: New Song 2007/05/24 00:08:03 (permalink)
    Ron, this is a really good happy tune. one I like to like! you could use some work on the mix, bringing some of the instruments more to the front, sending others across the pan field for space. adding a little EQ to some of the tracks and maybe a little more reverb on some things. kind of a lot of different little things that would help this mix out.

as far as loops go, I think that loops are great for their intended purpose. I don't see the point of creating an entire song out of loops, tho. I think that's just throwing togehter someone else's work. yes, it would take some talent to do that as Tony said, but without SOME input to the song's creativity thru a creation of SOMETHING, then to me, it's just a "jigsaw puzzle."

if you're only adept at one instrument, then loops can really help you create a great song from your input with that one instrument, if you're using only loops to create a song...well, you call it what you want and I'll call it what I want and I won't really call that creating music.

but...also - who am I???? take my opinion for what it's worth!!!

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    lhansen
    Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4765
    RE: New Song 2007/05/24 16:43:36 (permalink)
    Ron,
    Great little funk tune. Loops or no loops, it still sounded pretty darn good.

Slow Marching Band

Win 7 x64, Sonar X1E x64, Studio One v2, Focusrite Saffire 24 DSP Pro, Genelec 8030a, True Systems P-Solo, Focusrite ISA One, FMR RNP, GAP-73. 

"Someone to watch over me".
    theguitarplayer
    Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3523
    RE: New Song 2007/05/25 01:00:48 (permalink)
    I thought the who point of using any software at all was to be able to take advantage of using it to enhance and produce what ever it is you are trying to create. After all it is available for a price and the loops do become your band members. If your band members (loops) were programmed properly to play the way that you want the song to be produced an to get your final production the way you wanted it to be, then the band members (loops) did as you asked based on the production that was in your head.

Whether you use loops, software compressors, reverb etc, etc, etc, it is still software, available for creating music, sound effects or what have you, and no one has a God given right to say you are a moron for being creative, however the creation or the production is created. If that were the case, then we are all morons and creating music is for morons. So let us all be morons and create our songs as moron s do and use the moron software or moron musicians, the moron tools and equipment, so we can all be morons together. Does that about sum up what you've been told in here?

Personally, I think you did and excellent job at your production of getting out the jam you were trying to present to your fellow members. You used what was available and at hand and at a purchased price (you paid your band members (loops)when you purchased them. You had them (loops) play their part very well, based on your personal production of you song that was in your head. Nicly done and don't let anyone tell you different. Not everyone has a live band behind them, but then the loops were live to begin with and using them properly is an art in its self, which not everyone can master without some kind of time and lots of hard work and effort. Loops sure do keep production cost at a minimum and your time is what is required getting everything in order, so the final work has the sound and feel that you are personally looking for, so keep at it with your purchased band (loops) and have lots of fun while you are doing it. And always give praise to the Lord for keeping you encouraged. Amen!!
    post edited by theguitarplayer - 2007/05/25 22:01:53

Sonar X3 Studio, Acid Pro 7, Sound Forge Pro 9, Sonicfire Pro 5, Kinetic 2, Cinescore, HP Pavilion dv7, CORE i7, Q-740, 8gb Ram, Windows 7- 64 bit, 4 tb mem , Audiobox USB, Digitech GNX4, Gibson SG1 & SG3, Martin J65M, Washburn Custom Cumberland, 3 Marshall Amps, Casio 365 Keyboard, M-Audio Axiom AIR Mini 32,  Behringer Truth Monitors, Garritan Aria, EWQLCC, Alloy 2, Ozone 6, Melodyne 

http://www.soundclick.com/JohnRKennedy
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1