New Sound Center expansion packs?

Author
Dapper
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 102
2011/02/18 07:00:49 (permalink)

New Sound Center expansion packs?

Anyone heard these yet? I have Sound Center w/ Sonar Essential, and have upgraded to Dimension Pro. I'm wondering if the Sound Center expansion packs will give me good sounds that I don't already have. Like, is the Steinway Piano pack better than any pianos in DimPro?
post edited by Dapper - 2011/02/18 07:02:28

24 Replies Related Threads

superdan54
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 526
    Re:New Sound Center expansion packs? 2011/02/18 10:02:04 (permalink)
    I'm quite interested in the World Expansion pack. 109 programs for $19.95 isn't too bad at all! However, it'd be nice to get a list of the different programs and a few demos to boot!
    Adji
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 443
    Re:New Sound Center expansion packs? 2011/02/18 15:41:43 (permalink)
    I too am looking at the World Instruments add on, anyone any experience?

Cakewalk guys, will there be any video demos soon?
    Glyn Barnes
    Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7564
    Re:New Sound Center expansion packs? 2011/02/19 06:55:07 (permalink)
    Is there anything really new here? Unless I am missing somthing they look like the DSF Dimension Pro expansion packs repackaged to me (at a better price point).

Intel i7 3770K @4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD System disk, 2 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB (with SSD Cache) HDD. Windows 10,  Sonar Platinum. Roland Quad Capture. 
    Music - Switchwater on Soundclick
    Music - Goldry Bluszco on Soundcloud
    Dapper
    Re:New Sound Center expansion packs? 2011/02/19 07:08:38 (permalink)
    Yeah, I was wondering about the World Instruments, too. I just bought the E-MU Proteus Planet Earth pack, so I'd hate to buy this World Instruments pack only to find out it's a smaller subset of the same programs. I did notice that the World Instruments pack lists "Russian strings" among the sounds, and I've not seen that description in the Proteus pack. We just need more info.
    timswartz
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 78
    Re:New Sound Center expansion packs? 2011/02/19 14:29:33 (permalink)
    Hi All,

A brief description of our new Digital Sound Factory Cakewalk Sound Center Packs.

These libraries are designed specifically for playback in Cakewalk Sound Center (CSC). Each pack has been created using selected .sfz files from DSF Volumes 1-13 and organized by instrument/genre type.

·        Dimension owners who have previously purchased DSF Volumes 1-13 will already have access to these .sfz files and more.

·        Proteus Pack owners do not and will enjoy all new content.

But there are a few differences!

CSC features dedicated software knobs that can be assigned via MIDI CC#’s. This allowed us to create real time control configurations – such as filter amount, resonance, LFO amounts, etc. and give users control via the front panel GUI.

An example is  – Vintage Synth – Knob 1 = Cutoff, Knob 2 = Resonance, Knob 3= LFO to Pan Amt, Knob 4= Attack, and so on.

Each pack includes MIDI files for auditioning the sounds and double as a great starting point for composition -  well worth the price of admission.

There will be a free example demo pack coming soon.

Hope this clears things up and thank you for your interest.

Best Regards,

Tim
    www.DigitalSoundFactory.com
    post edited by timswartz - 2011/02/19 14:32:10
    Dapper
    Re:New Sound Center expansion packs? 2011/02/20 08:28:11 (permalink)
    Wow, thanks, Tim! That's exactly the info I was looking for.
    Adji
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 443
    Re:New Sound Center expansion packs? 2011/02/20 13:42:32 (permalink)
    Thanks for clearing that up Tim. 
    I have Dimension Pro (which came free with X1 Producer) does this include these sample packs 1-13? Apologies for the 'noob' question I am very new to Sonar.
    timswartz
    Re:New Sound Center expansion packs? 2011/02/20 16:54:16 (permalink)
    Adji

I have Dimension Pro (which came free with X1 Producer) does this include these sample packs 1-13? Apologies for the 'noob' question I am very new to Sonar.

Hi Adji,

Welcome to Sonar!!!

DSF Volume 2 - Classic Keys is the only DSF volume included with X1. DSF Cakewalk Sound Center Vintage Keys is a scaled back version of this volume, but as I previously mentioned, it includes the real time control knobs and MIDI files. These added features make all the CSC packs unique.

Best Regards,
    Tim
    sanelso2
    • Total Posts : 73
    Re:New Sound Center expansion packs? 2011/02/21 19:43:02 (permalink)
    timswartz

Adji

Hi Adji,

Welcome to Sonar!!!

DSF Volume 2 - Classic Keys is the only DSF volume included with X1. DSF Cakewalk Sound Center Vintage Keys is a scaled back version of this volume, but as I previously mentioned, it includes the real time control knobs and MIDI files. These added features make all the CSC packs unique.

Best Regards,
    Tim

Hey Tim,

What would be really cool is if DSF factory could port all of the Dimension Pro sounds (except the out of tune bass and choir sounds of course), Rapture, and other CW instruments into CSC. 

I really love the idea of CSC, but having access to the majority of sounds I use DP and other synths for would really increase it's utility for me.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
    SONAR X1x 64-bit

Intel Core 2 Duo T9300 (2.5 Ghz) 6M L2 Cache 800Mhz Dual Core, Windows 7, 256MB NVIDA Quadro
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    superdan54
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 526
    Re:New Sound Center expansion packs? 2011/02/22 00:06:19 (permalink)
    Tim,

Thanks for the info, so is it safe to assume then that the CSC World Instruments Expansion will contain a subset of DSF 06 - Old World?
    timswartz
    Re:New Sound Center expansion packs? 2011/02/22 15:05:35 (permalink)
    superdan54

Tim,

Thanks for the info, so is it safe to assume then that the CSC World Instruments Expansion will contain a subset of DSF 06 - Old World?

I have to somewhat re tract my statement from above. CSC World Instruments actually became a hybrid between Old World and Planet Earth. We tried to round it out so that it was as comprehensive as possible for the Sound Center user. So the answer is yes.

These sets were designed with the Sound Center user in mind. Those who are using the DSF Dimension Packs will find duplicate sfz's. The difference is the Sound Center programs use the MIDI and controller features. Think of these packs as subsets of the larger compressive DSF Volumes.
    Again, thanks everyone for your interest.
    Best Regards,
    Tim
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:New Sound Center expansion packs? 2011/02/22 15:45:45 (permalink)
    I bought both the Steinway and the World packs.

Steinway sounds good. several different pianos included.... the grands all sound similar and the sound is tweekable.

I'm having problems getting World to work.... so far no joy on the world pack. cake's tech support sent one email and that didn't solve the problem.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Dapper
    Re:New Sound Center expansion packs? 2011/02/23 06:48:42 (permalink)
    As I said above, I already have Planet Earth. I really like ethnic sounds, so I'm thinking of just getting the DSF Old World Instruments for DimPro. I'm still wondering about the Steinway Grand Piano Sound Center Expansion Pack - is it a much better piano than anything else that already comes with Sonar X1?
    J-A-G
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 260
    Re:New Sound Center expansion packs? 2011/02/24 19:27:21 (permalink)
    Hi Tim,

Just an FYI..not sure if you can do anything about it but the free Sound Center Instruments Examples Pack that was released to X1 owners today has an issue when you try to download from Cakewalk web site.

If I look at the file type before I click save when I download the Sound Center Instruments Examples...... it says "unknown file type 24.5MB".  There was an earlier post in the X1 forum regarding this. Once downloaded it shows as the same...file type unknown. This does not happen with the free Rapture download that was also released alongside this today. Other users are experiencing the same thing. 

Thanks

post edited by Meno - 2011/02/24 19:30:37
    Guitarhacker
    Re:New Sound Center expansion packs? 2011/02/24 20:30:07 (permalink)
    I really like the Steinway sound..... its pretty organic..... not so sterile sounding like my Kontakt piano..... all of the piano's are tweakable, with bass mid and high tone and velocity and resonance and FX knobs.....

The steinway pack loaded up fine on my main DAW..... the world pack is giving me fits.... it loaded on the second try in my lappy but still has not been successfully loaded into the main DAW.  Still working on it with the cakewalk support team.

BMI/NSAI

timswartz
    Re:New Sound Center expansion packs? 2011/02/24 22:04:37 (permalink)
    Meno

Hi Tim,

Just an FYI..not sure if you can do anything about it but the free Sound Center Instruments Examples Pack that was released to X1 owners today has an issue when you try to download from Cakewalk web site.

If I look at the file type before I click save when I download the Sound Center Instruments Examples...... it says "unknown file type 24.5MB".  There was an earlier post in the X1 forum regarding this. Once downloaded it shows as the same...file type unknown. This does not happen with the free Rapture download that was also released alongside this today. Other users are experiencing the same thing. 

Thanks

It sounds as if the files did not get compressed properly for IE. I have forwarded your post to the appropriate people at CW and the problem should be resolved in the morning.

Thanks for your patience.

Tim

pryan
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7
    Re:New Sound Center expansion packs? 2011/02/25 09:06:07 (permalink)
    Just rename the file as an .exe, that did the trick for me :)

J-A-G
    Re:New Sound Center expansion packs? 2011/02/25 14:47:45 (permalink)
    pryan

Just rename the file as an .exe, that did the trick for me :)

Yes...this is what I did and that worked fine. A customer should not have to even think about this though.

Thanks pryan
    J-A-G
    Re:New Sound Center expansion packs? 2011/02/25 14:49:36 (permalink)
    timswartz

Meno

Hi Tim,

Thanks

It sounds as if the files did not get compressed properly for IE. I have forwarded your post to the appropriate people at CW and the problem should be resolved in the morning.

Thanks for your patience.

Tim

Thank you for replying and for notifying Cakewalk...really appreciate it. I am sure Cakewalk appreciates it too. :)
    post edited by Meno - 2011/02/25 14:50:41
    Dapper
    Re:New Sound Center expansion packs? 2011/03/01 09:11:37 (permalink)
    OK, Guitarhacker's positive comments on the Steinway Grand Piano pack for the CSC made me go ahead and buy it. He's right - it sounds real good. It's a much better acoustic piano than anything else that came with my Sonar X1 Essential or with my Dimension Pro upgrade. The other pianos I had before this purchase would've sounded OK in a mix with other things, but these Steinway programs in this expansion pack sound like they'd do just fine in a much more exposed setting - even solo piano. Great buy for only $19.95. I'm really glad I pulled the trigger on this one. : )
    Guitarhacker
    Re:New Sound Center expansion packs? 2011/03/01 12:25:47 (permalink)
    Glad you like it Dan

BMI/NSAI

Guitarhacker
    Re:New Sound Center expansion packs? 2011/03/04 15:02:13 (permalink)
    Notice: if you have had any problems with these packs, they have the fix available. I guess the software installer had a bug and didn't install properly on some computers....Like mine.... anyway...it's fixed.

BMI/NSAI

chuckebaby
    • Total Posts : 13146
    Re:New Sound Center expansion packs? 2011/03/04 15:13:22 (permalink)
    Guitarhacker

Glad you like it Dan

greatsite hacker..like your set up man

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
    Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
    Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

Guitarhacker
    Re:New Sound Center expansion packs? 2011/03/04 15:19:26 (permalink)
    glad you like the site. I set it up to try to be helpful. I need to update the tips

BMI/NSAI

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1