New System Build - optimal hardware?

Author
Dreamstation
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 45
2017/08/17 06:15:38 (permalink)

New System Build - optimal hardware?

After a very long time with my last build (8 years?) I finally have a little money put aside for a new PC.  I want to tailor my hardware to work with Sonar as well as possible so I thought I should check some of the basics here before I settle on a CPU and motherboard.  My budget for those two is around $us900 - not crazy Xeon or i9 money - I guess I'm looking at i7 or Ryzen.  So...

Should I be looking at AMD or Intel, hyper-threading and number of cores (what can Sonar take advantage of here - is there a limit to the cores in can actually utilize?), a particular mobo brand, chipset and architecture, and how much RAM should I be aiming for?

I have Sonar Platinum btw, and a USB-interfacing Focusrite Scarlet 18i20.  It will basically be a dedicated DAW machine, I don't play games, watch movies or really do anything else but sometimes browse the internet.

I appreciate any advice that can be offered.  Remember, this is the key phrase "tailor my hardware to work with Sonar as well as possible"

6 Replies Related Threads

fireberd
    Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3704
    Re: New System Build - optimal hardware? 2017/08/17 10:37:41 (permalink)
    A comment from our resident DAW building guru on Ryzen:
    "Due to the current state of first-gen X370 motherboards, we won't build Ryzen DAWs for clients.
    If you're tech savvy, you can deal with the idiosyncrasies.  If not, it can bring things to a screeching halt.
    At a similar price point, the 6850k (vs. the 1800x) is hard to beat.  Absolutely rock-solid."

I would seriously consider an Intel system.  A 7th gen i7 or 8th gen i7

"GCSG Productions"
    Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
    ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
    Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
    chuckebaby
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 13146
    Re: New System Build - optimal hardware? 2017/08/17 11:22:11 (permalink)
    I built an Intel I7 4790k LGA 1150 about a year ago and I have been very pleased.
    your best bet (to save a few bucks) to get exactly what you want is to build your own.
    Its pretty easy actually.
    You can buy a CPU + Motherboard bundle and then all you need is a Power supply, SSD hard drive, a Case and a copy of windows.
    I shop here for all my builds:
    http://www.microcenter.com/site/brands/intel-processor-bundles.aspx

You can get a decent bundle CPU/MOBO for around 300.00+ bucks.
    I wouldn't be too concerned about video unless your Mobo doesn't have onboard video.
    I use onboard video that has Dual DVI for 2 monitors.

I salvaged my old case, my old Hard drive and Windows copy from my previous build which was an AMD FX.
    I built this new Intel system for under 600.00 bucks.

I should also mention it depends on how many sample library's, plug ins, exc you plan on using.
    My typical projects have 5 Synths, 20 Audio tracks and upwards of 50 plug ins.
    Ive yet to see my system stutter or bog down.

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
    Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
    Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

Dreamstation
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 45
    Re: New System Build - optimal hardware? 2017/08/17 11:33:12 (permalink)
    Ah yes - in fact that is exactly what I'm doing - building my own.  Done it before, it's a no brainer.  I've got everything I need really, so the new components will be CPU (with heatsink/fan), motherboard and RAM - already have 750W power supply, case, SSD drive, optical drive, video card, monitor, mouse and keyboard.

Thanks to you both for chiming-in - that advice to stear clear of AMD is exactly the kind of thing I need to hear to help me narrow my choices.  Cheers.
    DarinBad
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 461
    Re: New System Build - optimal hardware? 2017/08/17 16:26:18 (permalink)
    If you decide to go with an i7 7700k, be sure you get a big heat-sink/fan (unless you go with water cooling). I just built a video editing system using that CPU. It's awesome, but runs kind of hot. I ended up using a Noctua NH-D15 on mine. It's quiet, but HUGE. Might not fit in a mid-tower case.

AsRock Z77 Extreme4
    CPU INTEL CORE I7 3770K
    32 GB RAM
    RME Fireface 800
    Windows 10 Pro x64
    fireberd
    Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3704
    Re: New System Build - optimal hardware? 2017/08/17 18:00:11 (permalink)
    I tried that Noctua CPU cooler (2 fan model) on my i7 6700K install and it was just a "hair" from touching the side panel on my BeQuiet case and didn't cool like I wanted.  The CPU was running in the upper 30's at idle and would jump up fairly fast even under a medium load.  
    I replaced it with a "Captain 120EX" liquid cooler and the idle temps dropped down to around 30.  Doesn't heat up as much or as fast under load.

Both the Noctua and Captain 120EX are equally quiet.  The reason I initially installed the Noctua was they are noted for being quiet. 

"GCSG Productions"
    Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
    ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
    Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
    DarinBad
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 461
    Re: New System Build - optimal hardware? 2017/08/18 01:31:32 (permalink)
    Yeah. The Noctua is very quiet here, especially at idle, as the fan is barley spinning (I'm only using one of the two fans). My idle temp is also around the high 30's. I'm plenty fine with that, as it's really nothing for the CPU. My temp now will max out at about 70 at full load. It drops down from there as the fan/heat-sink catch up. I would go the water cooling route, but I don't want to deal with the maintenance/limited life span. The Noctua products are known for their efficiency and longevity. Install it and forget about it. It just works.

AsRock Z77 Extreme4
    CPU INTEL CORE I7 3770K
    32 GB RAM
    RME Fireface 800
    Windows 10 Pro x64
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1