Author
Dan Gonzalez [Cakewalk]
Administrator
  • Total Posts : 395
2013/09/30 12:32:36 (permalink)

New Tips on The Cakewalk Blog!

Here are some of the new tips on our blog (it's growing every week):

Drums
Knowing Your Effects in Addictive Drums Part 1 (SONAR X3 Producer)

The Case For Getting Your Drum Sounds With Overheads First

7 Pre-Production Tips for Drum Tracking

DRUM REPLACEMENT WITH ARA INTEGRATION AND ADDICTIVE DRUMS (PRODUCER)

FOCUS THE LOW END OF YOUR KICK AND SNARE WITH A PROGRAM EQ

QUICKTIP: SETTING UP YOUR ADDICTIVE DRUMS

Vocals
SONAR X3 QUICKTIP: MAKE YOUR VOCALS THICKER (STUDIO & PRODUCER)

MAKE YOUR VOCALS SOUND LIKE DAFT PUNK WITH MELODYNE EDITOR AND SONAR X3 PRODUCER

SONAR X3 QUICKTIP – HUM A MELODY AND CONVERT IT TO MIDI WITH ARA 

SONAR X3 QUICKTIP: 8 STEPS FOR COMPING THE PERFECT TAKE

DAW BEST PRACTICES: HOW TO CHOOSE THE RIGHT AUDIO INTERFACE

Mixing
MELODYNE’S DNA: SUBTRACT OR ISOLATE INSTRUMENTS FROM AN AUDIO FILE

EXPLORING YOUR NEW EQS 

HIDDEN GEM: THE BLUE TUBES STEREO IMAGER [SONAR X3 STUDIO & PRODUCER]

6 CREATIVE WAYS TO USE THE VKFX DELAY – FREE WITH SONAR X3 STUDIO OR PRODUCER

GATING UNWANTED NOISE USING THE NEW LOGICAL GATE/EXPANDER GX622

SLAM YOUR TRACKS WITH THE TAPE EMULATION MODULE [PRODUCER]

DID YOU KNOW SONAR X3 COMES WITH A DUAL PHASER AND CHORUS?

DID YOU KNOW THAT BIFILTER2 IS A SOUND DESIGNER’S DREAM?

SETTING UP GOBBLER IN SONAR X3

Bass
Z3TA+2 - Creating a simple bass synth

Play Guitar, Convert it to Bass

Z3TA+ 2 - Creating a Simple HipHop Bass Kick

Guitar
GUITAR TIPS: OPEN UP YOUR GUITAR TUNINGS

Th2 Is Your New Pedalboard

GUITAR TIPS – ADVANCED THEORIES BEHIND CHORD STRUCTURES

14 TIPS FOR GUITARISTS BEFORE ENTERING THE STUDIO

ANATOMY OF AN FX CHAIN: CA POWER CHORD (FREE DOWNLOAD)

ANATOMY OF AN FX CHAIN: CA VINTAGE WAH (FREE DOWNLOAD)

TH2 PRODUCER: NOT ONLY GUITARS

Workflow, Production, Tips, Tricks!
WORKFLOW TIP: ORGANIZE WITH COLOR CUSTOMIZATION

DAW BEST PRACTICES: 11 EASY TIPS FOR PROJECT ORGANIZATION

10 Tips For the Aspiring Mix Engineer

9 LIFE LESSONS THAT I’VE LEARNED AS A FREELANCE PRODUCER

post edited by Dan Gonzalez [Cakewalk] - 2014/02/20 11:07:12
declan
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 463
Re: New Tips on The Cakewalk Blog! 2013/12/01 15:49:39 (permalink)
Dan, thanks for these.  I just started working with X3P this morning and the links I have hit were quite helpful.

FCCfirstclass
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 969
Re: New Tips on The Cakewalk Blog! 2013/12/02 06:37:35 (permalink)
Good links for anyone @ the blog. 

Win 10 Pro x64, 32Gb DDR3 ram, Sonar Platinum, Cubase 9.5, Mackie MCU Pro, Cakewalk VS 100, Roland Octa-Capture,  A 800 Pro, Carver M-1.5t amp & C4000 pre amp, various mics, drums and brass instruments.

And away we go!
Dan Gonzalez [Cakewalk]
Administrator
Re: New Tips on The Cakewalk Blog! 2013/12/03 17:02:28 (permalink)
Thanks guys! Appreciate the kind words.
-DG
nyogisanz
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 29
Re: New Tips on The Cakewalk Blog! 2013/12/04 02:02:11 (permalink)
Hi Dan, Thank you for all these things. Sure it would help a lot of people out there, including me. Anyway just a suggestion, why not you also feature things like how to create for example rising synth effect, enveloping effects, stuttering effects, humping effects and many other kind of effects that sonar x3 producer are capable of. I know x3 is capable of that though its to my regret, browsing the net, it seems to me only those who are using FL, Cubase and other daws are pious enough showing their users how to use their daws in creating such effects.

Thanks
Leadfoot
Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2817
Re: New Tips on The Cakewalk Blog! 2013/12/04 07:28:57 (permalink)
Wow. What a list! Can't wait to check em out. Thank you Dan!
Bristol_Jonesey
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 16775
Re: New Tips on The Cakewalk Blog! 2013/12/04 12:19:51 (permalink)
Great stuff Dan.

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
Dan Gonzalez [Cakewalk]
Administrator
Re: New Tips on The Cakewalk Blog! 2013/12/05 10:55:50 (permalink)
nyogisanz
Hi Dan, Thank you for all these things. Sure it would help a lot of people out there, including me. Anyway just a suggestion, why not you also feature things like how to create for example rising synth effect, enveloping effects, stuttering effects, humping effects and many other kind of effects that sonar x3 producer are capable of. I know x3 is capable of that though its to my regret, browsing the net, it seems to me only those who are using FL, Cubase and other daws are pious enough showing their users how to use their daws in creating such effects.

Thanks

Thanks for the suggestions! I will definitely work in some more complex synth design articles.

If you dudes have any suggestions or requests feel free to list them here. I am constantly coming up with ideas, but feedback from the forum is highly useful.
Thanks again, you guys rock.
-DG
nyogisanz
  • Total Posts : 29
Re: New Tips on The Cakewalk Blog! 2013/12/07 03:09:28 (permalink)
Thanks Dan! Its really reassuring for us should I say "not that much well versed as far as sonar" that bakers are in tune to our needs. I guess even the experts would also greatly benefit with this knowing how others "do it" in a different vantage.  Anyway for starters, Id really appreciate it if you could also discuss how to create the following in sonar producer
1. Rising synth effects
2. Enveloping Effects
3. Stuttering effects ( I know there are apps for this and there are also gadgets like traktor, machine etc that can do this but having to know that we can do this using sonar x3 producer alone would be a great help as we don't have to spend more money just to have this.
4. The Psy (Gangdam style effects). There is a guy in youtube who is showing how to do it in pro tools (the 0:57-0:58 seconds; 1:48-1:49). I believe Sonar X3 can do this far more better
5. Dubstep

May I also take this opportunity to suggest, why not lets create a special forum or folder wherein anybody, especially the pro, could list down in clear fashion how they create an FX or styles etc in sonar. I think this would be a great avenue to advance not only the noobs but even the pro. Aside from that, this can also attract others to buy sonar as members are sharing how they do stuffs for the advancements of music and of the software as well. I mean in magic, there is a saying that the only way to advance magic is to expose the trick once it is already shown so as magicians will be required to think new stuffs. Otherwise we would all be stuck watching the same trick over and over again. Life then would be really boring
neirbod
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 343
Re: New Tips on The Cakewalk Blog! 2013/12/11 09:49:11 (permalink)
Dan Gonzalez [Cakewalk]
If you dudes have any suggestions or requests feel free to list them here. I am constantly coming up with ideas, but feedback from the forum is highly useful.
-DG

Hi Dan,

Thanks for making these great tips. I posed a suggestion for a blog posting in the sticky thread about Drum Month, but since you asked to post ideas here I will repeat it.

I am still working out the right workflow to use take lanes with drum tracking and editing.  I'd love to see some of your ideas on how to do this as part of Drum Month.  Just walking through an effective work flow with a typical drum session would be great.  For example: 1) tracking multiple takes, 2) comping, 3) editing (e.g., moving notes around within take lanes to fix timing issues, and copying and pasting from/to different sections), 4) comping using edited takes, 5) using slip edits and cross fades within takes.  Ideally this would also include a video of your screen.

Thanks!

Dave
rontarrant
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 643
Re: New Tips on The Cakewalk Blog! 2013/12/15 05:28:47 (permalink)
Dan Gonzalez [Cakewalk]
If you dudes have any suggestions or requests feel free to list them here.

How about a step-by-step (or at least concept-by-concept) of how to create drum parts using either Session Drummer or Addictive Drums. Or both. I've only ever used EZ Drummer and the procedure I came up with on my own may be coming at things from the wrong direction. I'm curious to know how other people do it.
Dan Gonzalez [Cakewalk]

Yup. That's what we're here for.

-Ron T.
----------------------------------------------------------
MSI GE72 2QF-247US, 12 gb, Focusrite 6i6, AT-2020
Windows 10 x64, Sonar Platinum
suzukisonar
  • Total Posts : 8
Re: New Tips on The Cakewalk Blog! 2014/01/24 14:02:59 (permalink)
I am a user of existing addictive drums.
I upgraded it with sonarX3P and obtained a new license.
I obtained the next answer when I referred to XLNaudio for two licenses.

Thanks you for getting in touch. In answer to your question. All previous owners of Addictive Drums that purchase Sonar X3 which comes with a free copy of Addictive Drums are allowed to exchange the licence that came with Sonar X3 for either

a) Two ADpaks (any except Retro ADpak)
b) Retro ADpak
c) Addictive Keys Studio Collection

So please inform any one you know that already owns Addictive Drums and has bought Sonar X3 that they can also get in touch with me and take advantage of this offer.
DRanck
  • Total Posts : 608
Re: New Tips on The Cakewalk Blog! 2014/01/25 12:51:07 (permalink)
Thanks for the links Dan! Really appreciated.

- Dave

My Sound Cloud
Website
Youtube Channel
The way that I've always gone about making music, the rule of thumb, has just been to make what I love.
Amy Lee

Sonar Pro 64 (Newburyport), Akai Pro MPK 88, i7-4770K, ASUS Z87-PRO V,  32GB SDRAM 1866, SAMSUNG 840 EVO 500GB SSD, 2 - WD BLACK 2TB, Samsung USB 3.0 SSD, Win 10 Pro 64, Radeon R9 270 Video 2GB, Dell P2314T 23" Touchscreen, Gateway 23" monitor, Presonus USB Audio Interface, Surface Pro 2 w/ Xotopad as a control surface
mettelus
Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5321
Re: New Tips on The Cakewalk Blog! 2014/01/25 12:54:45 (permalink)
Quick feedback on the 14 Tips for Guitarists Before Entering The Studio (#6), as far as pickup height. I have always held the "pretty evenly spaced" to the strings to be true, but found something rather shocking that only digital leveling meters would see in detail. It showed up playing amp sims and I posted the whole issue here.

I use DiMarzio D Activators, and was getting wild clipping on the low E string using an amp sim, and the reason was that these particular pickups are hot, and the "power" of the low E was over 12dB higher when the pickups were spaced to the strings evenly. I had to back the low end off 3/16" to get input level even between the low E and high E, but brought them back up to 3dB hotter (which is what I was seeing on two other guitars with stock pickups).

FWIW, checking the signal level against an input meter for string output may be a better check, depending on configuration.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
rontarrant
  • Total Posts : 643
Re: New Tips on The Cakewalk Blog! 2014/01/29 06:39:53 (permalink)
About #14 (14 Tips for Guitarists): Isn't graphite (pencil lead) a lubricant? I've used it in other situations and it always acts that way. I'm not disagreeing with tip #14, but I think the reason why it works isn't because it causes friction, but because it keeps friction from allowing the string to stick.
Nit-picky, but...

-Ron T.
MSI GE72 2QF-247US, 12 gb, Focusrite 6i6, AT-2020
Windows 10 x64, Sonar Platinum
Spyros
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: New Tips on The Cakewalk Blog! 2014/01/30 20:17:58 (permalink)
Hallo I would be really grateful if you can answer me....Well, I saw from a trance producers duo named ''the Blizzard'' about cakewalk sonar and I really liked their sound so I want to use this programme....I've seen that this programme is capable of many things and also I like A LOT its interface and general design....I am a user of FL studio 11 for the moment.....but if you already know I cannot do mashups for electronic dance music....and I know that ableton live is capable of giving you the right tools to make a mashup....for example teasing the tempo of the two (or more) songs I want to make the mashup...I can do it with fl but only if the tracks about to make the mashup are on the same tempo......so can you tell me if I can achieve something like that with cakewalk sonar X3, making a mashup of songs that are not in the same tempo??
-also can I make mastering for songs using cakewalk sonar X3?
I really thank you very very much, your reply will be more than helpful!
Spyros
tKx5050
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 221
Re: New Tips on The Cakewalk Blog! 2014/02/22 20:04:57 (permalink)
Thanks for all the great tips Dan! Really appreciate it. Keep the good work flowing.

Steve

Steve

Sonar Platinum, Quad-Capture, I7-3770, 32Gb
Guitarmech111
Max Output Level: -24.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5085
Re: New Tips on The Cakewalk Blog! 2014/02/23 11:21:24 (permalink)
Dan, any way to get dates for the tips? You post new tips are posted, but without a date, no way to tell which ones are new.

Thanks for providing this info on the blog!

Peace,
Conley Shepherd
Joyful Noise Productions
PC config: (Win performance base score = 7.7) ASUS Sabertooth 990 FX -amd fx-8150 - core processor am3+ - 32G Corsair 1066 DDR3 - PNY GTX670 2g gddr5 - Corsair Force SSD 120G - Samsung 750G SATA drives - WD 1tb Black (Audio files) - WD 2TB for storage - RME UFX - USB ASIO 2/2016 drivers Win8 

Without a mess, there is no message
Nefu steel
  • Total Posts : 10
Re: New Tips on The Cakewalk Blog! 2014/04/06 19:09:58 (permalink)
OH MY DAYS !   OH MY DAYS !  OH MY DAYS !  OH MY DAYS !   OH MY DAYS !   OH MY DAYS !  OH MY DAYS !

What a find!!!
pghboemike
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 107
Re: New Tips on The Cakewalk Blog! 2014/04/07 10:19:24 (permalink)
i'm having trouble understanding the charts in GUITAR TIPS – ADVANCED THEORIES BEHIND CHORD STRUCTURES

it does say advanced so it's probably me

"Each column represents a fret on the fretboard and each row represents a string. “R” refers to the root note and the rest of the guitar neck is relative to that initial fretting of “R”. So, if you pick any note on your guitar neck on the 6th string then this is where the rest of the intervals on the guitar neck lie."

in the examples given i can't picture the notes depicted on the actual fretboard on the charts 

if pick g 5d fret 6th string i can't seem to use the chart to find the right intervals

Each column represents a fret ????? a fret in relation to what  looks like the chart is to span 7 frets??

asus laptop Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3230M CPU @ 2.60GHz 8 GB RAM 64 bit Windows 8 home Premium casio wk7500 roland quadCapture audio\midi usb interface sonar producer 64 bit X3e  
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1