AnsweredNew To Cakewalk Forums, could use a mentor.

Author
Debi Jordan
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3
2016/06/14 10:24:38 (permalink)

New To Cakewalk Forums, could use a mentor.

Hi. I'm hoping to learn more about using Music Creator 6 from people experienced with the product. I used to have Cakewalk (2003?) years ago, so I know my way around a little bit, but not nearly well enough.
I was hoping if I tell you what I'm trying to do, and what equipment I'm working with, you might be able to walk me through some of the confusing stuff. I'm clueless as to how to set my levels, for instance.
I should state upfront, I'm visually impaired, and struggle with navigating my way around without using a magnifier.
I primarily will be recording guitar and vocals, and layering tracks with more of the same. My style is kind of folky, bluesy stuff if that helps any.  I'd like to record both my live performances and do some home recording. I'm not interested in using MIDI (should I be, and if so, why?"
My guitar is a Taylor 310 CE with a Fishman Pickup.
My mic is a Shure SM 58.
I would like to run my instrument and mic through my Bose L1 sound system (with ToneMatch mixer) and run a line out from the Bose and into a single audio input jack on my antiquated Dell Laptop.
I would like to use these recordings for promotional purposes, and putting together a new CD.
When creating a new project, I usually pick "normal" as a default because I don't know enough about recording to choose otherwise. I don't know how high the levels on my PA should be, nor do I know how high the levels for the track should be on my project file.
Anyone patient enough to work with a novice, or point me in the right direction for instructions.
Thanks, and nice to "meet" you all!

Guitarist, singer, songwriter, composer, entertainer, but by no means even close to being a recording engineer!
gswitz
Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5694
Re: New To Cakewalk Forums, could use a mentor. 2016/06/14 10:41:37 (permalink) ☼ Best Answerby Debi Jordan 2016/06/14 11:31:15
Welcome to the party. Nice to meet you.

Try looking at the demo projects for ideas. Walk through some tutorials.

Keep at it and keep it fun!

StudioCat > I use Windows 10 and Sonar Platinum. I have a touch screen.
I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
Debi Jordan
Re: New To Cakewalk Forums, could use a mentor. 2016/06/14 11:14:27 (permalink)
Thanks for the welcome and the suggestion. Now why isn't my profile picture showing up????
gswitz
Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5694
Re: New To Cakewalk Forums, could use a mentor. 2016/06/14 11:24:30 (permalink)
You can attach two profile pictures. One is for online and one for offline.

StudioCat > I use Windows 10 and Sonar Platinum. I have a touch screen.
I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
Debi Jordan
Re: New To Cakewalk Forums, could use a mentor. 2016/06/14 11:31:52 (permalink)
I uploaded a profile photo, but don't see the option you mentioned. Again, thanks for your help.
57Gregy
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14404
Re: New To Cakewalk Forums, could use a mentor. 2016/06/14 15:31:10 (permalink)
Welcome to the forum.
I also started with MC 2003, then to MC Pro 24 and on to SONAR Home Studio 6. I own SONAR X3, but haven't used it too much.
Make sure you hit the Apply button at the bottom of the User Control Panel so your pic will stick.
Should you use MIDI? That depends on whether you want to add instruments to a song that you don't own or know how to play.
Most of us use MIDI for drums, in my case because it would be hard to fit a drum kit in my 9' x 11' room, plus I'm not that good at drumming.
Orchestra instruments, synthesizers, organs, pianos, or ethnic instruments from all over the world can be added to your song if you want to.
You might want a piano in your song and 2 months later decide a harpsichord would work better. With MIDI, no need to hire another keyboardist to rerecord the piece, just change the patch (instrument sound) in the MIDI track pane.
Your timing is a little sloppy on the acoustic bass part in the bridge? Just use the staff view, piano roll view or event list view and edit the note data.
As far as recording level goes, it shouldn't go too far into the red (you mentioned visual impairment; can you see the meters?), and should peak at about -12 to -6 for a 24-bit input.
Which brings us to your computer and it's sound card.
Most of us use audio interfaces that support the ASIO driver mode, and Cakewalk recommends them, too. Just recording your audio performance with your mic shouldn't be a problem, but the more overdubbing you do, the more you will need to monitor the recording while singing/playing, and stock computer sound cards cannot deliver the kind of performance required for real-time monitoring while recording.
Anyway, just about everything you need to know is in the Help files, and we can try to answer any specific questions you have.
Good luck!

Greg 
I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
jimfogle
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 463
Re: New To Cakewalk Forums, could use a mentor. 2016/06/15 15:19:14 (permalink)
Debi,

Welcome to the forum.

What connection(s) are you making between the Tonematch mixer and the laptop?  What signals are you wanting to capture?  While the connection between the Tonemaster mixer and L1 is digital, it appears all AUX connections are analog.  The USB port is for firmware upgrades and data exchange between the Tonemaster and a computer.  It seems the Tonematch mixer has four or five AUX outputs that can send either dry (without effects) or wet (with effects) signals so your choices are: (1) microphone with effects, (2) microphone without effects, (3) guitar with effects, (4) guitar without effects or (5) a blend of the four.

The laptop inputs will be the 1\8" microphone or combination mic/headphone jack on your laptop.  The jack is two channel so it can accept two inputs, left and right channel.  You will need to create an adaptor cable that will have two AUX output connectors to one 1/8" stereo input connector.

I would create a new template called recording or live.  You can make changes to the "Normal" template then save with a new name to make a new template.  The new template would be very simple, two tracks with the track inputs set to accept the left and right channels of the laptop 1/8" stereo jack.

Hope this helps you to get started.

Jim F
Cakewalk by Bandlab (CbB)
Sonar Home Studio V23.9.0 build 32
Music Creator 6
Band-in-a-Box, Audacity, ChordPulse
Win 7, i3 cpu, 8Gig ram, 480 Gig Dell Laptop
http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home

Guitarhacker
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 24398
Re: New To Cakewalk Forums, could use a mentor. 2016/06/23 09:19:09 (permalink)
One of the best ways to get started is to watch the tutorials and take them step by step.  Learn one thing at a time.

Here's the link:  http://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Music%20Creator%206%20Touch&language=3&help=toc.html

work through the tutorials with your MC6 running and that's the quickest way to learn.  When you get stuck or don't understand something or something appears not to work, then come here, clearly describe your system and the issue and we'll try to help you over or around that problem.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
robert_e_bone
  • Total Posts : 8968
Re: New To Cakewalk Forums, could use a mentor. 2016/06/27 12:20:55 (permalink)
These Cakewalk user forums are a GREAT resource - I have found help here COUNTLESS times.

One thing to know about the forum software is that searching for things doesn't work well at ALL, so folks that want to see if others may have a solution for a given issue will use Google Search instead, with some filters applied to the search parameter string to direct Google to ONLY search the Cakewalk Forums, rather then search from within the forums.

So, to DO this, start with the following. and then at the end just add whatever search terms you want Google to look for within the Cakewalk forums:

site:forum.cakewalk.com

Examples:

site:forum.cakewalk.com sonar platinum key bindings
site:forum.cakewalk.com cakewalk command center settings path

Google's search works GREAT, if you use the 'Site' filter to limit where Google will search for whatever you are looking for.

Welcome to it all - you might also consider editing your Forum User Profile's 'Signature', to add your system specs (look at the bottom of my post at the bottom of other folk's posts, for ideas on what sort of stuff to list).  When adding that information into your profile's signature, make sure to check the box that tells it to always attach your signature to your posts - otherwise that info won't be displayed, even though you created it.  Putting your system specs in your signature will make it a lot easier for the rest of us, when we are trying to help you figure out some issue - as we can see at a glance what kind of stability you should have, with your specs, and that will help us to better help you.

Bob Bone

Wisdom is a giant accumulation of "DOH!"

Sonar: Platinum (x64), X3 (x64) 
Audio Interfaces: AudioBox 1818VSL, Steinberg UR-22
Computers: 1) i7-2600 k, 32 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 & 2) AMD A-10 7850 32 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro x64
Soft Synths: NI Komplete 8 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, many others
MIDI Controllers: M-Audio Axiom Pro 61, Keystation 88es
Settings: 24-Bit, Sample Rate 48k, ASIO Buffer Size 128, Total Round Trip Latency 9.7 ms  
jackroller
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 95
Re: New To Cakewalk Forums, could use a mentor. 2016/06/28 13:43:09 (permalink)
The CakeTV videos are also a great way to learn concepts and workflows.  I've found them to be well worth the time investment.

https://www.cakewalk.com/CakeTV/Music-Creator  

MOTU 896mk3
Win 10 x64, Intel 5820k 4.0Ghz, MSI x99a Krait Mobo, 32GB RAM, JBOD from Hell.  
jimfogle
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 463
Re: New To Cakewalk Forums, could use a mentor. 2016/07/04 12:06:23 (permalink)
A company called Groove3 created the original video tutorials that shipped with Music Creator 6.  Grrove 3 also created an additional 4 1/2 hours of Music Creator 6 video tutorials.

I have the Groove 3 video tutorials and believe that viewing the tutorials is the quickest way to learn how to use Music Creator 6.  The video series is also very useful as a "how to" quick reference because the information is delivered in small chunks and indexed.

The series is available for purchase at $10 US and can be downloaded and/or viewed onsite.

https://www.groove3.com/c...ic-creator-6-explained

Jim F
Cakewalk by Bandlab (CbB)
Sonar Home Studio V23.9.0 build 32
Music Creator 6
Band-in-a-Box, Audacity, ChordPulse
Win 7, i3 cpu, 8Gig ram, 480 Gig Dell Laptop
http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home

Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1