New Version "Give my heart" (SteveD on drums)

Author
opensky
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 481
2005/09/25 22:29:37 (permalink)

New Version "Give my heart" (SteveD on drums)

Here's a first mix of my latest song. This song features Steve Demetrician on drums. This is my first song without drum loops and I'm WELL PLEASED! I still feel I'm a novice at recording and mixing but this is how you learn, so let me have it. Thanks!

http://www.soundclick.com/pro/?BandID=266047
post edited by opensky - 2005/10/01 04:36:11

Steve
www.soundclick.com/opensky
www.soundclick.com/open

"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy...I was made for another world." CS Lewis

25 Replies Related Threads

ronniebee
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 632
    RE: Give my heart-first mix 2005/09/26 01:09:37 (permalink)
    Hi Guys,
    Just poped over to SoundClick to listen to, "Give my Heart". Sounds better with the live drums. I listened to a couple others while I was there. You guys make good gospel music.

Ronnie Bee - X3 Producer, 64b 2.6 Q Core PC, Win7, 8mb. 11TB ATA HD Space, Focusrite Pro40 DTS SurSnd, Voice Prism Plus, Dim-Pro & Rapt 64bit. Yamaha Motif XF. RonnieBee'sGigabyteBand - Enchanting Moments Video Studio
    http://www.soundclick.com/pro/?BandID=231503
    http://www.cdbaby.com/all/ronniebee
    opensky
    RE: Give my heart-first mix 2005/09/26 12:39:24 (permalink)
    Thanks Ronnie, I certainly have to agree with you about Steve D. Thanks for the feedback.
    ORIGINAL: ronniebee

Hi Guys,
    Just poped over to SoundClick to listen to, "Give my Heart". Sounds better with the live drums. I listened to a couple others while I was there. You guys make good gospel music.

ed_mcg
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2741
    RE: Give my heart-first mix (featuring Steve D on drums) 2005/09/26 12:55:18 (permalink)
    Steve,
    Nice sounding production. SteveD does a fine job, just like always.

I remember we were all encouraging you to get a real drummer on Name Above All, good for you. ;-)

Some comments for this one: you're using a single level of instrumentation and dynamic level throughout. I think it could really help to use some variation, such as bring it down on the verse (less guitar) and kick it up on the chorus (more pad / lead guitar), and add some new instrument colors on the mid-eight to really make it distinct. I also thought there was room for a lead guitar counter melody, something soaring with sustained half and whole notes. Anyway, just some ideas.
    MArwood
    Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1816
    RE: Give my heart-first mix (featuring Steve D on drums) 2005/09/26 13:02:48 (permalink)
    Much better with the live drums. Steve did a nice job. Mix seems to bo pretty good too.
    Max Arwood
    opensky
    RE: Give my heart-first mix (featuring Steve D on drums) 2005/09/26 17:38:50 (permalink)
    To Ed and all those who had encouraged me to get a drummer, I just wanted to say thanks. Yes, i took the plunge and I'm grateful for it. SteveD did a great job which made it real inspiring when tracking. Thanks for not giving up on me as i do take all your comments very seriously. As far as guitar idea, i felt the same way. I've tried to come up with something that i like (not just for the sake of putting something there), but i have yet to discover it. You just confirmed my idea. Thanks. I'm going to ask a dumb question, but what do you mean by adding some instrument colors on the mid-eight?

ORIGINAL: ed_mcg

Steve,
    Nice sounding production. SteveD does a fine job, just like always.

I remember we were all encouraging you to get a real drummer on Name Above All, good for you. ;-)

Some comments for this one: you're using a single level of instrumentation and dynamic level throughout. I think it could really help to use some variation, such as bring it down on the verse (less guitar) and kick it up on the chorus (more pad / lead guitar), and add some new instrument colors on the mid-eight to really make it distinct. I also thought there was room for a lead guitar counter melody, something soaring with sustained half and whole notes. Anyway, just some ideas.

Steve
    www.soundclick.com/open

"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy...I was made for another world." CS Lewis
    ed_mcg
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2741
    RE: Give my heart-first mix (featuring Steve D on drums) 2005/09/26 17:55:54 (permalink)
    but what do you mean by adding some instrument colors on the mid-eight?
    I'm thinking the sound at 3:21 can be further differentiated. You're bringing it down nicely there, but some additional ideas are: lower the vol on the pad (you have a pad wash going through the whole tune, a little less here might accent it), also the acoustic guitar strums through the song, could try a simple finger pick style up higher on the neck, also there's a string like pad on the chorus (2:27), you could bring that in. Introducing a brand new instrument is probably too radical at this point, but a simple piano line, a flute, string or even a glockenspiel might work - ok, these are pretty far fetched. Anyway, perhaps this might give you some ideas. ;-)
    opensky
    RE: Give my heart-first mix (featuring Steve D on drums) 2005/09/27 10:02:52 (permalink)
    I certainly agree Max. Thanks for your encouragement on the mix too.
    ORIGINAL: MArwood

Much better with the live drums. Steve did a nice job. Mix seems to bo pretty good too.
    Max Arwood

Steve
    www.soundclick.com/open

SteveD
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2831
    RE: Give my heart-first mix (featuring Steve D on drums) 2005/09/28 17:58:07 (permalink)
    Hey guys,

Guess it's appropriate for me to pop in here and say thanks for all the kind words.

It was a pleasure working with Opensky on this project.

Glad you're pleased with the drums on this one Steve!

SteveD
    DAWPRO Drum Tracks

... addicted to gear
    M
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1516
    RE: Give my heart-first mix (featuring Steve D on drums) 2005/09/28 19:24:46 (permalink)
    Hi, Opensky!

Yep, Steve sounds good here. All his choices are good ones. And I loved the drum break at about 3:40. Great!

I found myself thinking right off that you could lose the synth pad in this one. I think it'd be cooler with just the guitars, bass, and drums. The pad isn't that interesting and doesn't really add, IMO.

Like the rest, though. Voice is interesting. Guitars are working. But, was that a tease at the end? I thought I was getting a guitar solo!

Nice track!
    opensky
    RE: Give my heart-first mix (featuring Steve D on drums) 2005/09/29 10:02:33 (permalink)
    No, I'm not being paid to say this, but for anyone reading this that needs a drummer for hire, i highly recommend SteveD who was truly a pro throughout the entire project and most importantly a man of integrity. And yes, I am very pleased with this one!
    ORIGINAL: SteveD

Hey guys,

Guess it's appropriate for me to pop in here and say thanks for all the kind words.

It was a pleasure working with Opensky on this project.

Glad you're pleased with the drums on this one Steve!

Steve
    www.soundclick.com/open

pluto
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 875
    RE: Give my heart-first mix (featuring Steve D on drums) 2005/09/29 12:35:08 (permalink)
    Nice song. Good job on the musicianship
    and production.
    opensky
    RE: Give my heart-first mix (featuring Steve D on drums) 2005/09/29 17:29:11 (permalink)
    Thanks for the suggestions Ed. I'll certainly ponder it for the remix. Thanks!
    ORIGINAL: ed_mcg

but what do you mean by adding some instrument colors on the mid-eight?
    I'm thinking the sound at 3:21 can be further differentiated. You're bringing it down nicely there, but some additional ideas are: lower the vol on the pad (you have a pad wash going through the whole tune, a little less here might accent it), also the acoustic guitar strums through the song, could try a simple finger pick style up higher on the neck, also there's a string like pad on the chorus (2:27), you could bring that in. Introducing a brand new instrument is probably too radical at this point, but a simple piano line, a flute, string or even a glockenspiel might work - ok, these are pretty far fetched. Anyway, perhaps this might give you some ideas. ;-)

Steve
    www.soundclick.com/open

opensky
    RE: Give my heart-first mix (featuring Steve D on drums) 2005/09/30 10:19:47 (permalink)
    Hey M, good to hear from you again. I originally recorded it without the pad but it sounded so bare. Maybe i'm being self-conscious. I will listen to it again without the pad and reevaluate. Yeah, that was tease wasn't it! :) It was supposed to give a scottish bagpipe feel at the end but i was tempted to do a solo. I had to keep my rate (SteveD) under five minutes for a better price anyways:).
    ORIGINAL: M

Hi, Opensky!

Yep, Steve sounds good here. All his choices are good ones. And I loved the drum break at about 3:40. Great!

I found myself thinking right off that you could lose the synth pad in this one. I think it'd be cooler with just the guitars, bass, and drums. The pad isn't that interesting and doesn't really add, IMO.

Like the rest, though. Voice is interesting. Guitars are working. But, was that a tease at the end? I thought I was getting a guitar solo!

Nice track!

Steve
    www.soundclick.com/open

SteveD
    RE: Give my heart-first mix (featuring Steve D on drums) 2005/09/30 10:52:08 (permalink)
    Opensky,

Editing multiple tracks of drums is tricky... but since you're using my stereo drum mix... you could very easily turn 4 bars of time into a groove clip and stretch that out behind a guitar solo. The cymbal hit at the end can be cut and pasted to another track anywhere you think you need it in the song.

Not sure you really want to make this song longer, but if you wanted to mess with the arrangement... you could do that with what you have from me.

Experiment.

Get creative.

SteveD
    DAWPRO Drum Tracks

... addicted to gear
    Petronome
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 206
    RE: Give my heart-first mix (featuring Steve D on drums) 2005/09/30 14:40:09 (permalink)
    I like this! Are you singing in this? I like the voice, suits the track very well. The production and mixing sounds quite good to me, listening thru headphones, though. The calmer section around 3:20 adds nice variation as well as the stuff after that, but I think the track still needs something realle different. Now it's quite long for the harmonic content it has.

The only thing which really bothers me is the drums, I think they're a bit behind at the beginning half of the song, but it didn't seem to bother me as the song proceeded towards the end. Maybe the drummer got a tighter groove towards the end, or my ears just adapted. Anyway, I think the groove should be more in time right from the start.

Petri
    SteveD
    RE: Give my heart-first mix (featuring Steve D on drums) 2005/09/30 15:21:13 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Petronome

The only thing which really bothers me is the drums, I think they're a bit behind at the beginning half of the song, but it didn't seem to bother me as the song proceeded towards the end. Maybe the drummer got a tighter groove towards the end, or my ears just adapted. Anyway, I think the groove should be more in time right from the start.

Petri

Hey Petri,

I noticed it too. I think it's worth mentioning that I tracked with scratch tracks and a click.

As far as I know, nothing I was listening to while tracking made it into this version.

This happens sometimes when this approach is taken.

Knowing Opensky as I do from this project... I don't think he'll mind me doing this and he'll consider it a learning opportunity:

Here's what it sounded like when I delivered it <link>

Drums are tight.

Opensky... if you have a problem with this... just let me know and I'll gladly delete this post.

SteveD
    DAWPRO Drum Tracks

... addicted to gear
    Petronome
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 206
    RE: Give my heart-first mix (featuring Steve D on drums) 2005/09/30 15:27:43 (permalink)
    Yea, it's no big deal really, just thought I mention it. And I didn't mean to insult you, I hope I didn't do that.

And tell me about it, I've fought with some same kind of issues too. A "live" recording is always so much easier in terms of sync :)

Anyway, your playing sounds really good and I really like the sound of the drums the snare especially. And that clip you posted is tight, you're right :)

Petri
    post edited by Petronome - 2005/09/30 15:34:55
    opensky
    RE: Give my heart-first mix (featuring Steve D on drums) 2005/09/30 17:51:22 (permalink)
    I'm bad...obviously i'm the culprit. I remembered when i first gave you (SteveD) the track (with the drum machine), i remembered you mentioning that the tempo ended up being a little faster at the end, i think 71.5 bpm whereas it started at 71 bpm. I used bass loops for this but didn't think about making the adjustment. Then i laid my guitar tracks listening to the bass. That's all i can think of (besides being a bad player) which caused it to come out the way i did. Didn't mean to embarass you Steve.

Steve
    www.soundclick.com/open

SteveD
    RE: Give my heart-first mix (featuring Steve D on drums) 2005/09/30 19:08:20 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: opensky

I'm bad...obviously i'm the culprit. I remembered when i first gave you (SteveD) the track (with the drum machine), i remembered you mentioning that the tempo ended up being a little faster at the end, i think 71.5 bpm whereas it started at 71 bpm. I used bass loops for this but didn't think about making the adjustment. Then i laid my guitar tracks listening to the bass. That's all i can think of (besides being a bad player) which caused it to come out the way i did. Didn't mean to embarass you Steve.

Whoa... whoa... whoa!

I'm not embarrassed. I wouldn't have even brought it up... except that you got similar comments from another forum... remember?

I'm just trying to help and I certainly didn't want you convinced by hearing this a second time that I can't keep a groove.

It doesn't sound bad. In fact everyone is telling you the song is great. But I warned you that these guys are good... VERY good... and they hear this stuff. This is the right place to come if you want to know where you stand and what to improve.

This is a good thing.

SteveD
    DAWPRO Drum Tracks

... addicted to gear
    opensky
    RE: Give my heart-first mix (featuring Steve D on drums) 2005/09/30 19:45:13 (permalink)
    You're right, this is a great place to find out where you're really at. Sometimes i get embarassed because i know i'm not a session player and it's times like these i'm reminded of it. Anyways, my goal is to put down a song and i'm happy about the reaction of the song and mix so everything's cool. This is a great learning experience and i hope to get better with each song. Thanks for all the help everyone.

Steve
    www.soundclick.com/open

opensky
    RE: Give my heart-first mix (featuring Steve D on drums) 2005/10/01 04:32:32 (permalink)
    Here's a new version based on several suggestions given in this forum. When you hear something for so long, it's very hard to hear objectively. I say this because i'm not sure if i like the changes because i've heard it the other way for so long. So i need some fresh ears here. Thanks!

Steve
    www.soundclick.com/open

opensky
    RE: Give my heart-first mix (featuring Steve D on drums) 2005/10/02 22:10:06 (permalink)
    Thanks Pluto, sorry it's taken so long to reply. I'm trying to play catch up.
    ORIGINAL: pluto

Nice song. Good job on the musicianship
    and production.

Steve
    www.soundclick.com/open

MArwood
    Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1816
    RE: Give my heart-first mix (featuring Steve D on drums) 2005/10/02 23:19:34 (permalink)
    Even better now!
    Max Arwood
    opensky
    RE: Give my heart-first mix (featuring Steve D on drums) 2005/10/03 12:42:32 (permalink)
    Thanks Max. I'm tryin'.
    ORIGINAL: MArwood

Even better now!
    Max Arwood

Steve
    www.soundclick.com/open

opensky
    RE: Give my heart-first mix (featuring Steve D on drums) 2005/10/05 16:26:53 (permalink)
    Thanks regarding the vocals! Unfortunately i can't take credit for it. The singer's name is Matt Switalski who is a very talented 19 year old i recruited from church. Thanks for all your input and i can see SteveD has responded regarding the drums. Thanks again. PS: there is a new version loaded up. Let me know what you think.
    ORIGINAL: Petronome

I like this! Are you singing in this? I like the voice, suits the track very well. The production and mixing sounds quite good to me, listening thru headphones, though. The calmer section around 3:20 adds nice variation as well as the stuff after that, but I think the track still needs something realle different. Now it's quite long for the harmonic content it has.

Petri

Steve
    www.soundclick.com/open

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1