New extreme metal song up...

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
mgh
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8594
2011/08/12 09:53:38 (permalink)

New extreme metal song up...

fast black metal, called 'Con Sanguina', not gonna be everyone's cup of tea...click on the link in my sig!
cheers
Mark

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd

38 Replies Related Threads

I Am The Quarry
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 28
    Re:New extreme metal song up... 2011/08/12 11:46:52 (permalink)
    Hi Mark - I really liked this. Was not expecting the flamenco/Spanish guitar vibe at the half way point but it sounds great.
    I also like the slower riff approaching the end at around 5:30.
    Playing is great throughout and the drums are ferocious. Is this all you or your band ?

Been a metal fan for ever, but hardly ever write or record it.......you're giving me some inspiration. Cheers

Sonar X1
    Win 7 / Intel Core i5 / 4GB RAM
    NI Komplete Audio 6
    Parker, BC Rich, Takamine, Yamaha, Peavey, DBX, SE, Boss

[link=http://soundcloud.com/gwyn-maughan</a></font>]http://soundcloud.com/gwy...lt;/a></font>
    morenoise
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1074
    Re:New extreme metal song up... 2011/08/12 11:47:49 (permalink)
    Hi Mark, not really my cup of tea so I´m not really understanding what you´re doing but I really like the soft part in the middle and the more traditional metal after that. Nice guitar solo btw.

Rik
    philz
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2462
    Re:New extreme metal song up... 2011/08/12 16:48:58 (permalink)
    Wow... Mark's back   What a job you did on this... just amazing really.  I couldn't believe the percussion track.  Of course I couldn't understand a single word, but we've already been over that , and the rest is just SO good it didn't bother me.
    guitartrek
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2842
    Re:New extreme metal song up... 2011/08/12 18:14:16 (permalink)
    Very impressive chops.   Great job! I like all the effects you've got on the guitar in that middle section.  Drums are very impressive.
    Janet
    • Total Posts : 8094
    Re:New extreme metal song up... 2011/08/12 18:47:52 (permalink)
    Crazy stuff, Mark.  I also think the middle part is especially nice with all the effects, etc. 
    mgh
    Re:New extreme metal song up... 2011/08/13 18:27:49 (permalink)
    Gwyn - cheers for stopping by. it's all me, drums are programmed in the Step Sequencer using Steven Slate...

Rik - i don't think it's anyone's cup of cha except mine! thanks for braving it through!

Phil - yeah sorry i slipped back into extreme BM mood! nice to get some fast drums in there! i tried to make it sound a bit better, think it works a little! guitars are quite complex harmonically, and i don't own a bass at the mo so there's none on there, which robs it a little of power (the guitars are tuned to B though). i appreciate your listening, thanks!

Geno - not a patch on yours dude, but i try!! thanks mate

Janet - i keep trying to listen to your songs, firstly SC was down, then it said error loading file...i'll keep trying! Cheers as well for attempting to listen and not running away!

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    Philip
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4062
    Re:New extreme metal song up... 2011/08/14 01:38:54 (permalink)
    Ah, that all-to-familiar MGH demon is barking up a storm again while I'm waiting for the redemption.  It never arrives in this song.

At 1:50 things get more colorful ... and I can see my favorite spanishoid section showing its head up at 3:00.

Kicks and Toms are impressive after this bridge and I am drifting aimlessly into metal tongue speaking madness.

I much prefer the sweet song below it: "Remember" where the angels are allowed some say in the battle and the guitars roar and soar into the heavenlies in awesome splendour ... taking the kingdom of heaven by force.  That song is impossible and I totally love it ... one of the best epic songs I'll ever remember, Remember!

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
    jamesg1213
    • Total Posts : 21760
    Re:New extreme metal song up... 2011/08/14 11:25:49 (permalink)
    I think I'm getting used to this genre, thanks to you

Drums are stunning on this Mark, must have been some work programming that lot! That breakdown at 2:44 was beautifully done, very nice piece of arranging/mixing.

Not overly keen on the clean guitar sound, maybe an acoustic or even nylon string would have worked there?

Electric guitar work is incredible, and melodic as usual.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    thepogue
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2458
    Re:New extreme metal song up... 2011/08/14 16:06:30 (permalink)
    lmao @ MGH demon....

now thats funny!...

this thing punched me right in the choppers right from the outset...and the middle was drifty.....nice use of space 'tween chours in that middle section...

love the lil riff round 433ish...reminds me of some Blue Oyster Cult peices there...

love the deep vox at the end...

your nuts by the way....;)

good work!
    mgh
    Re:New extreme metal song up... 2011/08/15 18:15:00 (permalink)
    Hey Philip - sorry, this one is less melodic than a lot of mine (well it is there, but isn't quite as overtly tuneful in a weird way as i sometimes do...) but i was aiming to do a fast heavy one after a few more mid-paced outings...in fact the demo EP i will be hawking will have this as the opener, with 'remember' as the sweet jam filling, before more rye bread in the form of 'samson agonistes'...thanks for stopping by, and where is your latest?!

James - thanks for the words on the drums, i try and try to get them to sound realistic both playing -wise and sound-wise...yeah i see what you mean, though i quite like the effect on the guitar lead too, but it could have been much more 'Spanish' in the middle with some nylon action...

Tom - nuts? me? i tell you, this black metal malarkey is a serious business! yeah, in for a penny, in for a pound is my motto...can't really hear BOC though, gotta say! many thanks for tuning in!

mcourter
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3442
    Re:New extreme metal song up... 2011/08/17 16:39:02 (permalink)
    starts right out full blast, dunnit? Got me grinning right away. your usual clear articulate vocals, I love it. I'm surprised your drummer didn't give out after the first two minutes. Terrific transition at 2:50 or so. Perhaps the bass could come up a bit, JMHO. Otherwise it was a blast. Liked Remember a lot too.

A few guitars, a couple of basses, a MIDI controller, a mandolin, a banjo, a mic, PodFarm2
    Unbridled Enthusiasm
     My music: www.Soundclick.com/markcourter
    paulo
    Max Output Level: -13 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6218
    Re:New extreme metal song up... 2011/08/17 17:30:49 (permalink)
    Ok, I've listened four times now and I tried realllllly hard to like all of it, but ...well you know ;)

Love the guitars @2:49 section though.

Might not be my thing, but I can and do appreciate that you are very good at what you do and the amount of work you put into it. I know I always say this and you're probably bored of hearing it, but just wanted you to know that I'm still listening.
    ProjectM
    Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3941
    Re:New extreme metal song up... 2011/08/18 05:14:46 (permalink)
    Now this is really my cup of java right there. This is almost considered folk music around my part of the world!!

I thought the song was pretty good. A bit schizo maybe with the different parts, not to mention the intro! Killer-cool and make you look over your shoulder. Nice

The only thing I didn't like is that the guitars are left hanging before the clean guitar part comes in. Those four bars is unneccesary and boring and kind of kills the flow and mood of it all, for me at least. But besides that, some great surprises. The clean vocal was nicely disturbing, the solo is cool! The arrangement is really good for that genre. Well done!

How do you treat the vocals? It sounds like it's just one track and EQ/compressor? Have you tried multilayering your vocals? It's quite common when doing the throaty thing. I know for a fact that Shagrath (Dimmu Borgir) and "those guys" layer 3 tracks of his throat vocals and add a lot of exciters and distortion to at least one of them, compress them all quite hard, add a touch of reverb and edit to taste. Live he adds the distortion and add a ridiculously short delay to faten it up a little. It's pretty cool and allows you to push the vocals back a little without ever loosing it in the mix. And it sounds monstrous!

I really enjoyed your other tracks as well. You're doing some mean guitar licks in there! I'm looking forward to more of this!

Kind regards

A fellow metal head
    post edited by ProjectM - 2011/08/18 05:15:55

(Sonar Platinum - Win10 x64) - iMac and 13" MacBook - Logic Pro X ++ - UA Apollo Twin DUO - NI Maschine MKII - NI Komplete Kontrol S61 - Novation Nocturne - KRK Rokit 6
    Soundcloud
    Negative Vibe Records
    mstodge
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 984
    Re:New extreme metal song up... 2011/08/18 09:14:34 (permalink)
    Hi Mark,

Not my kind of thing either, but i was looking forward to the dip on the wav image to come by, so i stuck with it. Glad i did, as that section was very nice. Your singing and guitar playing straight after that was excellent too. The rest was just too.......well extreme for me.

Mark.
    Danny Danzi
    • Total Posts : 5810
    Re:New extreme metal song up... 2011/08/18 10:00:08 (permalink)
    mgh, you sir, with all due respect and said in the best possible way....are a complete lunatic! LOL! This is total sickness! What gets me about this style of music is, that people can actually perform like this. This stuff is a bit out there for me too...but the musicianship is what blows me away the most. I'm recording a band right now that is doing this style and though their screamy vocals rip my lungs out, I try to ignore them because the music is so incredible. Ever hear of a band called Abigail Williams? Dude...lol...listen to this if you get a minute!

http://www.rocktron.com/artists/

It should be what loads up on the page there. But man....those dudes are soooo sick it made my jaw drop. The band I'm recording sounds a lot like these guys. Again, the singing isn't my thing...but no one can deny the incredible musicianship in this stuff. And that drummer...omg man...he sounds like the drums you programmed for this, doesn't he? LOL!

Really liked the melodic section of your song too as well as all the music through out. Your writing and soloing is spectacular and you show you can throw a melody into the most technical of pieces. Production was well done too. It must be a nightmare to write those drum parts with all that speed and keep them sounding real. I know there's only so much you can do on stuff like that...but this is a fine effort man. A little bit of robotics on the drums...but at this speed, even real drums sometimes get a weird sound when they are played this fast. Really impressive work all across the board dude....high 5! :)

-Danny

My Site
    Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
    vechung
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 818
    Re:New extreme metal song up... 2011/08/18 11:04:25 (permalink)
    I think this is great!  It is one of your better metal pieces.  Drums were awesome, but I can't imagine someone play it on real drums without getting tired.

http://www.soundclick.com/vicentechung
    https://soundcloud.com/thefoundandthelost

Vicente 

Sonar Platinum, Live 10, Motu 828, Ozone 7
    mgh
    Re:New extreme metal song up... 2011/08/18 12:11:54 (permalink)
    Mark - i would put the bass up if there was any on there! lol, currently bass-less. glad you also listened to Remember, i appreciate the faxt that you guys and gals on here step out of your normal listening zone! Paulo - you listen 5 times you get free becan...hey i know this stuf is hard, so thanks for the effort! ProjectM - well, you are from the home of 2nd gen BM...interesting coments on the vox, they are just one take, one track, a bit of valve channel strip vst on the track bin, then to a buss with eq and comp, this one also has delay...i don't add distortion to my voice,though i do sometimes run the valve emulation quite hot, but it's mainly me! then some verb, i think this one is CSR. you are right about the guitar before the clean section, i normally write a riff at a time, so sometimes the transitions can be a bit jerky - the lack of bass is shown up here more than anywhere i think. but thanks for the comments and technical notes, and glad i am doing most things right! Mark - hey, how are you? not heard much from you for ages...cheers for stopping by, i know it isn't most people's cup of cha, but that's the cool thing about this board, huh? Danny - Abigail Williams i know well, the first album was a bit deathcore in places, but the second really was great symphonic BM...saw them play over here supporting someone...might have been Absu, can't remember...i think the robotic bit on the drums is the cymbals, the Kontakt 16 player/Steven Slate drums only loads 2 main cymbals (crash/splash) which is really restrictive...i must remember to load another instance with more cymbals...anyhow, thank you for the positive comments, i'm not as good a shredder as you but i think i can write some cool riffs! Vicente - believe me, drummers really do play like this! search youtube for extreme metal drumming and you will see! muchos gracias for taking the time to listen, and i look forward to abother jazz-rock masterclass from you soon!
    post edited by mgh - 2011/08/18 12:13:43

mgh
    Re:New extreme metal song up... 2011/08/18 12:15:15 (permalink)
    damn FF6.0 and the forum!

ProjectM
    Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3941
    Re:New extreme metal song up... 2011/08/18 13:33:06 (permalink)
    mgh

but thanks for the comments and technical notes, and glad i am doing most things right

Dude, there's nothing wrong here at all! I've even passed the link to your stuff to my clique of BM enthusiasts!

My notions on the vocal is nothing other than technical. It would have been cool to hear how you would do with the multilayering and "smokes and mirrors" of the style. But even now, your vocals are friggin' mean!!

Do you perform this music with a band or something?

(Sonar Platinum - Win10 x64) - iMac and 13" MacBook - Logic Pro X ++ - UA Apollo Twin DUO - NI Maschine MKII - NI Komplete Kontrol S61 - Novation Nocturne - KRK Rokit 6
    Soundcloud
    Negative Vibe Records
    mgh
    Re:New extreme metal song up... 2011/08/18 14:32:22 (permalink)
    Marius - hey thanks for spreading the word! i really appreciate your comments, and no...it's just me. i did have a pop/rock thing gong with a mate in Liverpool, but now i've moved to Essex and allowed my extreme metal wings to spread...lol. i shall try the Dimmu technique on the next song!

geeare1
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1906
    Re:New extreme metal song up... 2011/08/18 16:54:15 (permalink)
    Hi Mark,

Wow, this is just insanely amazing! Incredible arrangement, playing and overall conception.

I listened to Con Sanguina, Remember and Samson agonistes back to back. Whew!

Great, great stuff.

-gr

'There's two kinds of music: good and bad. I like both.' - Duke Ellington

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=943338&content=music
    bapu
    • Total Posts : 86000
    Re:New extreme metal song up... 2011/08/18 17:24:34 (permalink)
    Your drums are sounding better Mark.

BTW, I kept looking for my cup of tea. 

Did you run out?
    jamesyoyo
    Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3460
    Re:New extreme metal song up... 2011/08/18 23:40:30 (permalink)
    Sweet Jesus, what your neighbors must think!

This was the best thing I have heard from you, Mark. The soft breakdown was a real surprise. What was your setup for that bouncy stereo delay part?

And btw: just as I was getting into your cookie monstering, you went all Alice In Chains doft on me at 3:56! What's up with that? ;)

Basradaem
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 422
    Re:New extreme metal song up... 2011/08/20 23:45:06 (permalink)
    This is sick, haha!  Awesome job, Mark.  You inspired me to thrash around my home office/studio and now I've just completely destroyed the place.  I'll send you the bill for the repairs .

Seriously though, this is awesome.  I'm a huge fan of metal and this rocks!

Luke Sarro
    --------------
    Sonar Platinum 64-bit on Windows 10 x64 

SteveStrummerUK
    • Total Posts : 31112
    Re:New extreme metal song up... 2011/08/22 03:22:34 (permalink)

Wow - Dethklok meets Julian Bream

Massive

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

Bob Oister
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2766
    Re:New extreme metal song up... 2011/08/22 04:53:29 (permalink)
    Hey, Mark,

Smokin' hot full black metal meltdown at it's finest, my friend!

The chaotic intro and the vocals are both perfect for the genre, the guitar tones and playing are spectacular as always, and the drums on this are truly astounding.  You must have spent days programming them to get them this perfect.

I really love the section that begins at around 1:38 and 5:31, and also the mellow section at 2:47, and the guitar playing and solos throughout the entire song are excellent.

Dynamite job on this, Mark, you can really tell that a ton of work went into it, and it certainly paid off well!
    Bob

CreatingNoise
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1666
    Re:New extreme metal song up... 2011/08/22 20:58:15 (permalink)
    Mark,
      I expected a full on frontal sonic assault...and.....as expected, was not disappointed.  Great stuff man!  You've packed a ton of cool stuff into this one.  A true wall of metal.  The clean guitars were exquisite after the tsunami of heavy guitars/bass and drums.  Nice work.  I had to LOL at the comment about how this tune would almost be considered a folk tune in Norway.  Good stuff.....I said GOOD STUFF......yeah REALL.....uh.....can anyone hear me....what is that ringing in my ears and why are people's lips moving yet I hear nothing....
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:New extreme metal song up... 2011/08/22 21:06:35 (permalink)
    OK... that was like ...... heck I don't know what that was like...... adreneline and sweat I imagine.....

I really like the middle part where you layed back and played some music.   Yeah... I can appreciate the musicianship in the rest of it..... nice guitar tone for sure.....

How about some bluegrass?

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Maxprizm
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 824
    Re:New extreme metal song up... 2011/08/22 21:08:50 (permalink)
    Brutal! I think it needs to be about 20 bpm faster! Makes me feel sorry for the drummers feet.. Dig the breakdown. I woulda liked to hear a chug or 2 in there somewhere.) I dig the melodic vocal part as well, reminded me of an old metal band Sanctuary for some reason. Cool stuff.

Ed Edge

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1