New hard rock guitar instrumental "Into Orbit"!! Yes, some shredding is involved.

Author
jerotas
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 439
2011/04/11 08:27:02 (permalink)

New hard rock guitar instrumental "Into Orbit"!! Yes, some shredding is involved.

Listen here! - downloadable. But this is just the draft version. I will re-record everything. This one gave me considerable trouble and I ended up throwing away 2 other bridge sections that just couldn't "flow".

Any and all feedback is appreciated.
Starting at 2:16 you'll be hearing the WCR Iron Man pickup for rhythm and lead guitars. Before that is a Duncan Full Shred. Same guitar (McNaught), but I had the Iron Man installed midway. For the MUCH better.  This was recorded with no mics or actual cabinets, using the Axe-Fx Ultra by Fractal Audio.
Thanks for the listen!
-Brian
post edited by jerotas - 2011/04/13 09:52:12

"he who still has all his marbles hasn't flicked them around enough"

24 Replies Related Threads

No How
    Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5180
    Re:New hard rock guitar instrumental finished at last!! Yes, some shredding is involved. 2011/04/11 14:11:08 (permalink)
    Smoking.
    How about "She Loves Killing Me" ?

Drums are hyper compressed and barely audible (i know it's a draft but i have to find something wrong! Guitar playing is way too good)

s o n g s

– Beauty lodged in a bad hotel has no value.  Raymond Lull
    BretB
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 508
    Re:New hard rock guitar instrumental finished at last!! Yes, some shredding is involved. 2011/04/11 14:23:40 (permalink)
    Nice guitar work.  Drums are not helping you at all on this.

Sonar Platinum - A&H ZED R16 - KRK VXT4's - Yamaha DTXpress IV & Gretsch Catalina Maple kits

"Music is what feelings sound like"
    https://soundcloud.com/bret575b
    ed_mcg
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2741
    Re:New hard rock guitar instrumental finished at last!! Yes, some shredding is involved. 2011/04/11 14:30:00 (permalink)
    Great guitar playing. I like the tune / arrangement too.

Only thing, the drum pattern wasn't working with they rhythm of the piece, more distracting than supporting. Fix that and this will be great. (Just noticed Bret said that too, and he has a drum kit for an avatar, so you have to listen to him).

I will re-record everything.

Not sure why; that sounded great!
    post edited by ed_mcg - 2011/04/11 14:31:46
    markno999
    Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1450
    Re:New hard rock guitar instrumental finished at last!! Yes, some shredding is involved. 2011/04/11 14:53:09 (permalink)
    Brian,

I have to agree with the previous poster's opinions.   The guitar playing and tone is quite outstanding, and a cool song.  No question that the guitar quality is all around outstanding and very tasteful (not overplayed or underplayed-all the right ingredients).    Very nice, upbeat and happy tune.   This is the kind of "metal music" I really like;)

The drums are not quite right, however, and are distracting from the song.    You have that "nail in the kick drum" sound but there doesn't seem to be any low end.  The cymbals are swirling around in the background and seem undistguishable and the snare needs to come up a little in places.     I think the bass sounds ok but it is difficult to tell if it is locked in the with drums.   I might push the bass a little at 4k for some string brightness but otherwise I think it is good.  What are you using for drum samples?  That may help with suggestions as well knowing that.. i.e. Superior Drummer, Addictive, Battery, Session Drummer, recorded live, etc... 

Regards

bapu
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 86000
    Re:New hard rock guitar instrumental finished at last!! Yes, some shredding is involved. 2011/04/11 15:51:36 (permalink)
    Pretty good guitar/bass balance and tones.

Drums seem a bit lost (in vol and style) for such a rock song.

jerotas
    Re:New hard rock guitar instrumental finished at last!! Yes, some shredding is involved. 2011/04/11 21:26:12 (permalink)
    BretB

Nice guitar work.  Drums are not helping you at all on this.

I rather like the drums in the 3 bridge sections with a couple hi-hat tweaks that I'll make - well the drum beats anyway, I'm not going to pretend my drum fills are any good haha. During the normal main theme / chorus part I don't particularly like the drums there. I don't suppose you'd like to take a crack at redoing the drums for me? Or know some that might?

For the draft I used Superior Drummer 2.0 Drumkit from Hell, but plan on changing to Steven Slate samples during mixdown stage because they sound a lot better to me. I don't do that until the very end because my machine almost can't handle it.
    post edited by jerotas - 2011/04/11 21:38:18
    jerotas
    Re:New hard rock guitar instrumental finished at last!! Yes, some shredding is involved. 2011/04/11 21:28:24 (permalink)
    markno999

I think the bass sounds ok but it is difficult to tell if it is locked in the with drums.   I might push the bass a little at 4k for some string brightness but otherwise I think it is good. 

Ah yes that's synth bass. Going to redo it with a real bass too!
    guitartrek
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2842
    Re:New hard rock guitar instrumental finished at last!! Yes, some shredding is involved. 2011/04/11 22:09:01 (permalink)
    Loved it!  That Fractal Audio sounds fantastic.  Your tone is great and so is your technique.  Great feel.

The arrangement is good - the song flows.  If I to make suggestions it would be to change up the different sections of the song quite a bit.  The drum beats are the same throughout the entire song, so is the rhythm guitar and bass parts.  It could use some different beats, different textures, different parts, etc.  Make the verse distinct from chorus.
    rhynosynth
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 520
    Re:New hard rock guitar instrumental finished at last!! Yes, some shredding is involved. 2011/04/12 00:25:54 (permalink)
    Great to hear that guitar again Brian. Man, you got skills and then some. Great song. The fractal does sound really good. Please post the finished tune.
    Serious Noize!
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 164
    Re:New hard rock guitar instrumental finished at last!! Yes, some shredding is involved. 2011/04/12 00:29:20 (permalink)
    Excellent!!!!! I loved the harmonies on this.

jerotas
    Re:New hard rock guitar instrumental finished at last!! Yes, some shredding is involved. 2011/04/12 01:07:10 (permalink)
    guitartrek

Loved it!  That Fractal Audio sounds fantastic.  Your tone is great and so is your technique.  Great feel.

The arrangement is good - the song flows.  If I to make suggestions it would be to change up the different sections of the song quite a bit.  The drum beats are the same throughout the entire song, so is the rhythm guitar and bass parts.  It could use some different beats, different textures, different parts, etc.  Make the verse distinct from chorus.

Hmm were we listening to the same song here? I will agree that the initial verse / chorus drums are almost the exact same, but the rhythm guitar is not (in any 2 parts). Also the drums are much different in the bridge sections. I will attempt to re-drum the verse / chorus since no seems to like that (me included haha).
    post edited by jerotas - 2011/04/12 01:47:27
    jerotas
    Re:New hard rock guitar instrumental finished at last!! Yes, some shredding is involved. 2011/04/12 01:09:28 (permalink)
    rhynosynth

Great to hear that guitar again Brian. Man, you got skills and then some. Great song. The fractal does sound really good. Please post the finished tune.

Thanks a lot rhyno. Unfortunately I only post draft versions of songs because I want people to have to buy the finished CD to get them finished version.
    guitartrek
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2842
    Re:New hard rock guitar instrumental finished at last!! Yes, some shredding is involved. 2011/04/12 19:14:57 (permalink)
    jerotas

guitartrek

Hmm were we listening to the same song here? I will agree that the initial verse / chorus drums are almost the exact same, but the rhythm guitar is not (in any 2 parts). Also the drums are much different in the bridge sections. I will attempt to re-drum the verse / chorus since no seems to like that (me included haha).

jerotas - I was quickly writing that.  What I meant was that the feel of the different sections was nearly the same.  Of course you have different chords and such.  Just the feel of the backing tracks are very similar throughout the sections.  It is something I've paid attention to in my arrangements too, and over the years have tried to get better at creating more variances and interest.  That is obviously a stylistic choice - and I'm just throwing ideas out.  For example, a quick one, let's say in the 3rd verse coming out of the chorus or bridge (This is not related to your song, just an example), for the first 4 bars you cut everything out except the Lead guitar and drums.  In this section you add a couple drum fills. Then starting bar 5 you add in the bass.  When you finally get to the chorus you add the whole band back in.  This is just one quick way of changing the textures whithout even having to write and record more parts.

Anyway - I really dig your guitar work!

jerotas
    Re:New hard rock guitar instrumental finished at last!! Yes, some shredding is involved. 2011/04/12 21:43:58 (permalink)
    guitartrek

jerotas

guitartrek

jerotas - I was quickly writing that.  What I meant was that the feel of the different sections was nearly the same.  Of course you have different chords and such.  Just the feel of the backing tracks are very similar throughout the sections.  It is something I've paid attention to in my arrangements too, and over the years have tried to get better at creating more variances and interest.  That is obviously a stylistic choice - and I'm just throwing ideas out.  For example, a quick one, let's say in the 3rd verse coming out of the chorus or bridge (This is not related to your song, just an example), for the first 4 bars you cut everything out except the Lead guitar and drums.  In this section you add a couple drum fills. Then starting bar 5 you add in the bass.  When you finally get to the chorus you add the whole band back in.  This is just one quick way of changing the textures whithout even having to write and record more parts.

Anyway - I really dig your guitar work!

Yeah man I gotcha. That's why I like to post drafts, collect a few ideas and spend a little time redoing anything except the lead guitar haha. Thanks!

post edited by jerotas - 2011/04/13 01:08:39
    ohgrant
    Max Output Level: -35.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3966
    Re:New hard rock guitar instrumental finished at last!! Yes, some shredding is involved. 2011/04/12 23:52:59 (permalink)
    Love that tone and technique, just awesome. I have to agree the drums need an an overhaul but a masterful display of craftsmanship with all the guitars

Me

jerotas
    Re:New hard rock guitar instrumental finished at last!! Yes, some shredding is involved. 2011/04/13 01:09:47 (permalink)
    ohgrant

Love that tone and technique, just awesome. I have to agree the drums need an an overhaul but a masterful display of craftsmanship with all the guitars

Thanks man! Glad to be of service!
    Scottytunes
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5695
    Re:New hard rock guitar instrumental finished at last!! Yes, some shredding is involved. 2011/04/13 06:59:15 (permalink)
    Okay, that's it!  I'm selling all of my guitars!  

String Jammer
    jerotas
    Re:New hard rock guitar instrumental finished at last!! Yes, some shredding is involved. 2011/04/13 08:15:19 (permalink)
    Scottytunes

Okay, that's it!  I'm selling all of my guitars!  

hahaha, but seriously, no need to be rash man, not everyone is into this kinda fast playing anyway.
    octoberroad
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30
    Re:New hard rock guitar instrumental finished at last!! Yes, some shredding is involved. 2011/04/13 09:40:25 (permalink)
    The guitar tone and technique on this is fantastic! Excellent work. Are you still looking for a name? May I suggest "Absence and the heart within".  Kind of a twist on the old saying absence makes the heart grow fonder. I was getting images of a band heading out on tour, making the rounds, staying in touch, and then returning home after a succesful run. Just a thought. I am listening again while typing this. I like it.

~Jeff
    jerotas
    Re:New hard rock guitar instrumental finished at last!! Yes, some shredding is involved. 2011/04/13 09:50:32 (permalink)
    Absence and the heart within
    octoberroad

The guitar tone and technique on this is fantastic! Excellent work. Are you still looking for a name? May I suggest "Absence and the heart within".  Kind of a twist on the old saying absence makes the heart grow fonder. I was getting images of a band heading out on tour, making the rounds, staying in touch, and then returning home after a succesful run. Just a thought. I am listening again while typing this. I like it.

~Jeff

Thanks for the imagery and compliments man, I appreciate it! Yeah last night I picked a name: "Into Orbit". I think for the video I'd like to have me playing guitar with a HUGE viewscreen behind me showing a space shuttle taking off and going through space and stuff. Seems to fit really nice.

octoberroad
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30
    Re:New hard rock guitar instrumental finished at last!! Yes, some shredding is involved. 2011/04/13 09:54:25 (permalink)
    I can totally see that...kind of the same imagery in theory...heading out and making the rounds and all. Much more epic with the space theme, thogh. The music definitely has that feel to it. My thought was probably brought on by watching to many MTV videos back when they actually showed videos. ;-) Keep up the good work. I'd buy this when it is finished.
    jerotas
    Re:New hard rock guitar instrumental finished at last!! Yes, some shredding is involved. 2011/04/13 09:57:41 (permalink)
    octoberroad

I can totally see that...kind of the same imagery in theory...heading out and making the rounds and all. Much more epic with the space theme, thogh. The music definitely has that feel to it. My thought was probably brought on by watching to many MTV videos back when they actually showed videos. ;-) Keep up the good work. I'd buy this when it is finished.

Right on man! I'll make sure post somewhere (I have no idea where it's ok to do so) on the Sonar forum when the CD is done. Anyone know?

Actually the last 2 songs I made I didn't post here, so I'll do that now, for those interested. All instrumentals as well. One is a ballad.
    mgh
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8594
    Re:New hard rock guitar instrumental finished at last!! Yes, some shredding is involved. 2011/04/14 04:24:40 (permalink)
    great tone and playing, some cool licks and i like the tasteful whammy use!

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    jerotas
    Re:New hard rock guitar instrumental finished at last!! Yes, some shredding is involved. 2011/04/14 04:26:01 (permalink)
    Thank you MGH, I'm not that great with the whammy and sometimes feel it's wasted on my guitar. hahah. I need to do some more extreme things with it.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1