New keyboard for live performances

Author
derFunkenstein
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 735
2010/01/13 08:50:51 (permalink)

New keyboard for live performances

Hi all,

The church's praise band was recently gifted "whatever we need" (though preferably under $1000) to buy a new keyboard.  At this point it's tempting to say that ANYTHING will be an improvement over the Yamaha PSR-270 (not exactly the right model but the right family and right basic set of features) that we're currently using.  I was hoping that this would be a realistic dollar amount for something with the following:

Good quality sound from non-piano voices (we already have a nice upright that we use if we need piano)
88 weighted keys
Sustain pedal
somewhat portable, either with its own stand or separate

I'm pretty much a novice when it comes to thing sort of thing, and thankfully it's not entirely my decision, but I'm hoping to at least provide some guidance from people who know.  :)

Thanks,

Ben

9 Replies Related Threads

The Maillard Reaction
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:New keyboard for live performances 2010/01/13 08:59:33 (permalink)
    OK, I have to ask... weighted keys... but for non piano sounds?

I am not sure I get that. I use my weighted key Yamaha FOR piano players and my Roland non weighted for organ and synth sounds.

But, I am not a keys player... just a keys hacker.

best regards,
    mike

derFunkenstein
    Re:New keyboard for live performances 2010/01/13 09:18:29 (permalink)
    I'm going by requests from the people who will be playing it - but otherwise I'm in the same boat as you, not a player. 

Generally speaking, I never think of Casio as a "serious hardware" maker, but after doing a little digging around the Cakewalk forums, I found the Privia PX-330.  Would Casio be something to generally avoid?  Has anyone played/heard these Privia keyboards?
    Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    Re:New keyboard for live performances 2010/01/13 09:33:34 (permalink)
    In 2009 I taught music production in a secondary school and they had one of the Casio models. It played quite well and sounded fine, obviously if you make the effort with the amp and speaker or a decent PA it will sound very good. Acoustic sound was very suitable. It had a small collection of other useful sounds. A has a very basic sequencer and it also has drums etc . It does not create automatic rhythms and accompaniment parts, that is more the relm of the Yamaha or Roland home style instruments.

The action is quite good and it is heavyish but one person can easily move it around. Kawai make some nice instruments too I believe.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:New keyboard for live performances 2010/01/13 09:41:20 (permalink)
    I agree with mike.  synth, strings, brass, even drums are easier played on synth keys, not weighted. 

for synth keyboards, $1000 is almost a "no man's land"  the lower end keyboards stop at around $500 and the upper range start at around $1500.  there's actually a big gap between the two.  however, digital pianos (weighted 88 keys) can be had in this range.

but if you NEED weighted 88 keys at ~$1000 for synth sounds, I'd look at these:
    http://keyboards-midi.musiciansfriend.com/product/Casio-PX320-88Key-Digital-Keyboard?sku=703190
    http://keyboards-midi.musiciansfriend.com/product/Yamaha-S08-Performance-Synth?sku=700827
    http://keyboards-midi.musiciansfriend.com/product/Yamaha-P140-Contemporary-Digital-Electronic-Piano?sku=707446
    http://keyboards-midi.musiciansfriend.com/product/Kawai-MP5-Professional-Stage-Piano?sku=702817
    http://keyboards-midi.musiciansfriend.com/product/Yamaha-MM8-Music-Synthesizer?sku=703325  (this one would be at the top of my list)

there's not much in the $1K range for a good synth.  remember tho that I said synths in this price range are really in a "no man's land" unless you go with a USED one (which is what I did - I bought a used yamaha motif XS6 for $1600)
    http://keyboards-midi.musiciansfriend.com/product/Roland-JUNOG-Synthesizer?sku=701863
    note: this is a 61 key.

if you have a piano player AND a keyboard player, I'd look at finding a used Roland Fantom X7 (76 keys synth action) or a used Yamaha Motif ES7 (76 keys, synth action)

if you have one musician to play either the piano OR the keyboard, then I'd go with one of those 88 key weighted ones above.  myself, I'd probably go with either the MM8 or the Casio. 

NOTE:  take your pianist to Guitar Center or something if you're buying a weighted keyboard!!!  not all weighted keyboards feel the same and you need to consider that above most things!!!

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    derFunkenstein
    Re:New keyboard for live performances 2010/01/13 10:25:52 (permalink)
    Thanks all. I'll talk to them again tonight and see if they're serious about this weighted keys thing.  I can find alot of reasonable synths with greater than 61 keys and without weighted keys in our price range without the weights.  Like I said anything will be an improvement, but at the same time I want to buy something that will last us for years to come.  With the weights, it seems it's either one of those Casios (assuming the weighted key quality is good) or looking to buy used.
    post edited by derFunkenstein - 2010/01/13 10:27:26
    whattarush
    • Total Posts : 713
    Re:New keyboard for live performances 2010/01/13 11:06:21 (permalink)
    +100 for the Yamaha MM8!!! It has the Motif sound engine that sounds absolutely great with some beautiful pianos and synth patches.

"When your moving in the positive, your destination is the brightest star"!!! www.elmarqrecords.com/ www.reverbnation.com/label/elmarqrecordsllc" www.facebook.com/pages/ElMarq-Records/160103362281 "Never look down on anyone UNLESS you're picking them up!"
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:New keyboard for live performances 2010/01/13 11:06:38 (permalink)
    I used to own one of the casios similar to the model I linked to above and the action is really nice.  I sold it because I am not a "pianist", I'm a keyboardist.  the model I had was an older model with only 32polyphony which I didn't like, either, I would easily reach its limit.  the casio above is 128 poly.  much better.

and on the MM8 - as I said above, I bought a used Motif XS6 - if I were in the market for a weighted 88 key board, I would absolutely look at the MM8!  it has the sound engine of the XS series.
    post edited by Beagle - 2010/01/13 11:07:50

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    derFunkenstein
    Re:New keyboard for live performances 2010/01/15 14:52:16 (permalink)
    Well, good news.  The dollar amount available to us was somewhat under-reported.  Yamaha's MM8 is actually within our reach, and I located a reseller that has one in stock and we're going to go this weekend to check it out. 

We're also going to be looking to replacing the amp we have, which is an older practice amp that's kind of on its last legs.  The room we most often play in (the church sanctuary) has a ceiling of approximately 20 feet.  It holds about 300 people.  I don't know the room's square footage, but it's about 15 seats wide and 20 rows deep. 
    derFunkenstein
    Re:New keyboard for live performances 2010/01/18 19:08:50 (permalink)
    Well, just to follow up, we went to a local reseller who is not part of a national chain (but a quick internet search put their prices in line with Zzounds, Musician's Friend, and Sweetwater).  Since they're local I'll leave the whole selling experience alone other than to say I feel like the sales guy knew what he was talking about.

What we ended up buying was the 61-key synth-action version of the Korg M50.  After coming up with a series of questions, including those you listed above, we came to the conclusion that we didn't really need the piano-style weighted keys.  That money was better spent elsewhere, as I'll explain below.  Two of us went to this local reseller and spent 90 minutes with a couple keyboards.  We both got all of our questions about the unit answered and demonstrated, so even though the guy obviously knew his way around the workstation he also made it seem like we'd be able to figure it out.  The other keyboard in our price range that we looked at was the Yamaha MO6, which also seemed like an awesome keyboard. We preferred the Korg touch interface for changing voices and editing sounds.  

And rather than a dedicated keyboard amp, we instead picked up a Yamaha Stagepas 300.  It's got a total of 5 inputs, which means we'll also be able to run our guitars through it as well should we choose, rather than the church's general PA system.  Short story which helps, in my mind, justify the purchase.  At our church we have a media ministry that does awesome.  But they're mostly volunteers and they have alot of responsibility.  We decided to go with the portable PA because 1.) we can take it anywhere and 2.) it'll take some of the burden off their shoulders.  We've had problems with guitars and our old keyboard being muted and nobody in "the booth" knew that we were expecting sound.  Bad communication. This eliminates all that.  
    For $1700 total (for the keyboard, the PA system, a double X-type stand, a padded bag, and a couple cables for the stereo output on the keyboard), we feel like we got a pretty good value.  Here's where I'd like a little critiquing on our purchases.  The reseller told us hey, if there's a problem with anything or it doesn't meet our expectations, here in the next 30 days we can swap it out for something else.  The M50 itself seems to come highly recommended from all kinds of reviews online.  The reviews for the Stagepas have all been pretty positive as well.  If you'd say otherwise (or concur, for that matter) please do so. :)     

post edited by derFunkenstein - 2010/01/18 19:10:42
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1