New kid on the block...

Author
brendantownsend
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 279
2005/01/12 21:23:38 (permalink)

New kid on the block...

Hello Everyone.

Well, to be honest not quite a "Kid", and to get things off to a terrible start here's a personal composition that you may like to throw tomatoes at!

I plan this to be the last track of a CD project that I'll be working on this year, and that's why it's a sad piece with a finale. There'll be others, such as fast orchestrations and Cathederal organs, harpsichords, blah... blah.

Just for the record...

Hardware for this piece:
One XV-5080, using SRX "Orchestra" and "Strings" modules only (no added samples, just what comes out of the ROM on these cards in the box).

I had used Sonar 3 for a short while before I upgraded to Sonar 4 Producer and very glad I did. Absolutely fantastic program and worth every penny.

Link: Fragile Earth

Also, my latest work:
Prehistoric_Majesty.mp3 - 18th Jan 05 (unfinished)

Nice to meet you all, and a happy new year to everyone.

Brendan

Gear:
1x Roland XV-5080 (with 4x SRX and 2x SR-JV cards)
1x Roland SPD-11 drum pads.
< Message edited by brendantownsend -- 1/18/2005 5:32:30 PM >

28 Replies Related Threads

MannyNY
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 732
    RE: New kid on the block... 2005/01/12 21:51:26 (permalink)
    Hi Brendan,

No tomatoes required. Nicely done. A bit somber (as you indicated) but pretty enough to not be depressing. It builds nicely also (instrumentation). I don’t listen to much instrumental music (although Ennio Marricone and Elmer Bernstein have a place on my iPod) but I liked it and it was a nice break from rock and roll. The lift (around 1:24?) is welcome at that point and the 2:35 section really opens up nicely. Some patches were more convincing than others but the overall sound is pretty good. It has a real movie score feel to it. Good stuff.
    Chad Beattie
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 232
    RE: New kid on the block... 2005/01/12 23:22:48 (permalink)
    This is awesome. I loved it. Very moving piece.

I plan this to be the last track of a CD project that I'll be working on this year

Will this be a CD for the general public to buy? Be sure and post a link if so.

Thanks
    < Message edited by Chad Beattie -- 1/12/2005 10:31:16 PM >
    brendantownsend
    RE: New kid on the block... 2005/01/13 04:40:50 (permalink)
    Hi Mannie, Chad
    Thanks for your comments.

MannieNY wrote:
    Some patches were more convincing than others but the overall sound is pretty good.

Yes I agree that not all the sounds are quite "there", though I intend to address this with the forthcoming purchase of the stunning Symphonic Orchestra suite from EastWest.

It's a slippery slope financially but hey... if it's what you love...

Chad wrote:
    Will this be a CD for the general public to buy? Be sure and post a link if so.

I'm currently working on a CD project based on "Fragile Earth", and will include different merged tracks based on different aspects of our planet in different countries around the world - such as life on the African Planes, the Magic of India, Ancient Heritage, Life at the Poles, Sea Life, Destructive Man (i.e. "Fragile Earth"), etc. There are many others in the pipeline, and this will introduce a number of pieces that vary significantly and should appeal to a variety of tastes.

If I can get the CD successfully solicited then I will be donating about 1000 professionally-printed copies towards the end of this year for our annual charity event "Children in Need". I also have a few friends on BBC radio that may be able to help promote the album, though as I say it will need to be properly solicited and bound to be expensive!

For fellow musicians? - well I'm sure that I could reciprocate constructive comments and suggestions with some free copies or downloads

Thank you again!

Brendan.
    < Message edited by brendantownsend -- 1/15/2005 2:51:07 AM >
    billboutin
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 483
    RE: New kid on the block... 2005/01/13 05:04:25 (permalink)
    Brendan,

I thought that was a wonderful orchestral piece. I don't hear near enough music like that these days

Excellent development I thought the way it started out simple and then the other instruments came in. At first I thought it would make a good soundtrack to a medieval fantasy movie, then as it developed I thought it would be more like a love story, maybe both, something from the time of King Arthur or Romeo and Juliet.

Wonderful piece, I would love to hear more!
    brendantownsend
    RE: New kid on the block... 2005/01/13 12:12:03 (permalink)
    Thank you Bill for your kind comments.

One thing I've discovered since joining this community is that it's great to share ones creations with others with similar interests, unlike the usual "Yeah, it's alright innit" from those that don't quite have that critical appreciation.

I'm just an ordinary guy with a life-long love of making music, and if others appreciate it as-well then so much the better

Longer pieces to follow in due course so I'll keep you posted.

Best wishes,

Brendan.
    < Message edited by brendantownsend -- 1/13/2005 12:50:26 PM >
    mlockett
    Max Output Level: -54.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2099
    RE: New kid on the block... 2005/01/13 14:16:11 (permalink)
    Very nice. Very relaxing... I think I'll go take a nap. <g> The only critisism that jumps out at me is that the harp (or harp-like sound) seems a bit muffled. Overall, this is a really nice piece!
    tonyd
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 222
    RE: New kid on the block... 2005/01/13 14:30:23 (permalink)
    I really enjoyed this piece. Very smooth voice leading and supple connections, which is somewhat forgotten craft these days. It builds up very nicely and I can see how it can work to close an album. Only the timpani and the cymbal at the very end I found a bit harsh and out of place.

Keep them coming.
    Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4951
    RE: New kid on the block... 2005/01/13 16:42:40 (permalink)
    very nice .. builds well .. voiced well .. i do agree with the tympani ..
    but if it's for a score, there might be some other elements
    at play. the only comments i would suggest are:
    1. Involve your cellos more ... they have such a lush but
    muted quality to them that i think they could start some of
    you up-string transitions.
    2. It's very canon like the way it builds .. so you can milk those
    for quite a while .. but i kind of wanted a key change or some
    structural break up to add some interest . and then back to
    the original structure and out (as you've done it).

great job though .. i'd very much like to hear more of this work.
    jeff
    ed_mcg
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2741
    RE: New kid on the block... 2005/01/13 18:40:44 (permalink)
    Brendan,
    Yeah, that's beautiful.

Here's some ideas:
    - No one has that kind of lung capacity playing the english horn. Need to add some more pregnant pauses. Also as it develops later you could try a little call and response with say a solo cello, or high strings (this could happen at 1:40)
    - It would be interesting to hand the role of the harp off to string pizzicato
    - Could try having a brief, light recapitulation after the roll/cymbal crash - like this: pause light high strings, followed by the eng. horn agin, the string fade.

All of the above offered as imho. It's really fine as is, well, except for that blue faced reed dude over there.
    RE: New kid on the block... 2005/01/13 18:46:08 (permalink)
    except for that blue faced reed dude over there.

maybe it's a tandem ... ever done that? .. man is it hard....
    ed_mcg
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2741
    RE: New kid on the block... 2005/01/13 19:08:32 (permalink)
    maybe it's a tandem ... ever done that? .. man is it hard....
    Not sure, you mean circular breathing (Rassan Rolan Kirk) or two players dovetailing their notes, either sound extremely hard for a double reed (speculation only).
    RE: New kid on the block... 2005/01/13 19:18:25 (permalink)
    two players dovetailing their notes
    yea .. it's like
    circular breathing for small ensembles .. i watched my neice try
    and do this with her partner for hours ... i never realized
    how hard this was ... but they eventually worked it
    out.

sounds like you took a rimsky-korsakov class or two ed ;-)

jeff
    brendantownsend
    RE: New kid on the block... 2005/01/13 20:46:10 (permalink)
    Thank you everyone so much for these excellent ideas and suggestions. I'll try to address those areas that could clearly be improved, and by consensus of expert opinion the tympani goes!

I also agree that some instruments need to be lifted to add body and warmth so I'll work on that as-well, and as for those poor ol' blue-faced brass-boys I've since built in brief rests to help them out a bit. I had to chuckle when you pointed this out as you're perfectly right regarding lung capacity

However, it occurred to me that where I have used a combinational orchestra patch to help finish off the piece, the extended horns were then inevitable. I'll try to split this out with individual strings and brass patches, so that the horn-boys can operate independently and rest early.

I have also now tweaked the harp velocity very slightly and compensated with a reduction in volume, which addresses the muffled tones that were correctly pointed out (sorry to wake you mlockett ). That's already been done in the re-uploaded file, along with a few other tweaks to the velocity and smoothness of the ending violin.

I'll also try to add interest with those pregnant pauses, strings, cellos, and hand-over from harp to pizz. I also like the suggestion of a string fade which could roll on strong and quick, and then fade out as a terminator in preference to the cymbal alone - on reflection a bit weak and not the best fit for a grand ending.

Once again everyone, thank you for your most valued comments and feedback, and I expect to re-post an improved version sometime late this Sunday.

I just feel so honoured and privileged to be in such company!

Brendan.
    < Message edited by brendantownsend -- 1/14/2005 3:31:15 AM >
    rgfors
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1068
    RE: New kid on the block... 2005/01/13 20:52:04 (permalink)
    Wow, quite a lovely piece. I have to agree with Ed on the breathing thing, easy to fix though. I have quite a few nice samplers (EWQLSO Gold being one). If you would like to send me the midi files I would be happy to plug in the instruments and send you back a wav. Follow my link and drop me a note if you are interested...

Randy
    Listen to my "stuff" at:
    http://www.21st-parallel.com
    View my pictures at:
    http://www.justshootmestudios.com
    brendantownsend
    RE: New kid on the block... 2005/01/13 21:34:31 (permalink)
    Hi Randy

Many thanks for that. I'll get in touch directly after I've built in some of these excellent suggestions and other perspectives. What started off as a short finishing track on an album looks as though there's plenty more mileage for an extended performance so I've more work to do yet.

Incidentally, that Eastwest orchestral suite is precisely the same thing I'm after when my budget can stretch to the platinum (surround) set and a fast dedicated PC to handle rich orchestrals. Sooo expensive though but it lights my fire and like a drug I've just got to have it.

I also listened to a few of your tracks. You're clearly a very accomplished musician and I really liked your mood performances - very nice indeed and excellent guitar play. I used to play around with classical guitars (Perez 670 and Perez Pro) but haven't touched them in a while as I was never really that good.

Will be in touch soon and thank you again.

Brendan.
    ocabernethy
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 124
    RE: New kid on the block... 2005/01/14 13:33:59 (permalink)
    'Just listened to your "orchestration." I have loved synth. strings going back to 1970 when they were played on Moog monophonic synths and on the Mellotron. Obviously, I'm partial. 'Enough about me...

'Loved this piece! Could it/should it have more dynamics? Would more contrasts between load and soft parts make it even more appealing than it already is?

Clearly, you're on your way to scoring movies. Maybe you're already doing this.

Chuck A.

O. Charles Abernethy
    http://www.EnsembleMgmt.com
    - click "Projects" or "Artists"
    Keep the faith --but not to yourself!
    brendantownsend
    RE: New kid on the block... 2005/01/14 17:48:17 (permalink)
    Hello Chuck.
    Thank you for your post and for your kind comments.

Although to be afforded the opportunity to compose a score for a movie would be a dream come true for most of us here, regrettably I am just an ordinary guy with an electronics engineering profession.

Music is not just an interest but has remained a part of me all of my life from such a very early age. There's nothing that compares to getting home from the drudgery of everyday working life and disappearing into that fantasy world of composition and creativity that you can truly call your very own, and then to find your work appreciated by others.

I'm really glad that you enjoyed the composition, though I do accept that there's plenty of room for improvement and I'll be trying and developing the many excellent ideas from those that have kindly contributed their time and suggestions.

There are clearly many very accomplished musicians on these forums and many have already given me a whole range of new perspectives and ideas to work on. This I believe is what this is all about as no matter how good we are we are always learning from our betters. If you can open your mind to the considered thoughts and suggestions of others, then that is the key to continuous personal development and improvement which maybe, just maybe, will pave the way for bigger things later on.

I don't know where my music will take me, but the key ingredient above all else is the thorough enjoyment of the art in every possible sense of the word. Now if lady luck tapped me on the shoulder with a dream proposal to score (if you'll excuse the expression) then not even a lottery win would come close to the thrill of it all, though realistically I think that I would probably have more chance of winning the lottery

I'll post here again once I have developed this piece some more - hopefully over this weekend. As always, all thoughts, comments and constructive criticisms most welcome and thoroughly appreciated

Thank you again!

Brendan.
    < Message edited by brendantownsend -- 1/14/2005 11:09:54 PM >

S6Pro; P5v2; XV-5080; V-Drums+SPD11; 2x Delta 1010; Soundcraft 24ch; TC M3000 Reverb; Keystation Pro88; Alesis M1Active 620; Dual 3.2GHz 2+2MB; 4GB 800MHz XMS-2; 5x 10krpm HDD; RAID-0; XP PRO & 64
    gdugan
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1118
    RE: New kid on the block... 2005/01/14 18:02:59 (permalink)
    Truly beautiful, Brendan. Thank you for posting, and a warm welcome!
    chaz
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2775
    RE: New kid on the block... 2005/01/14 19:13:34 (permalink)
    Brendan,

I liked it very much. I was a music composition major, so listening to an orchestral piece was very refreshing and brought back some fond memories for me.

This is definitely a beautiful piece from a compostitional standpoint! I really liked the way it builds and how you introduced new instruments along the way.

I also have to agree about the phrasing of the english horn. It needs to be broken up a bit more for both letting it "breathe" and for realism.

Great job! I have to give this one
    chaz
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2775
    RE: New kid on the block... 2005/01/14 19:21:13 (permalink)
    One thing I forgot to mention, Brendan, is that I liked your use of melodic themes and counter-melodies. I wish I could score orchestral music that nicely.

This would definitely make for a beautiful soundtrack. It does seem to be a bit short though and I would like to hear what you would do with an extended version of it.

Either way..... Great job!

Just cannot stop listening this one. I think I am on the sixth or seventh time around now.
    < Message edited by chaz -- 1/14/2005 7:34:36 PM >
    brendantownsend
    RE: New kid on the block... 2005/01/14 20:13:49 (permalink)
    Hi Gary & Chaz
    Great to hear from you, and thanks for your feedback!

I can't profess to have any significant formal musical education (apart from private guitar tuition when I was eight years of age - a long <ahem> time ago). I'm only self-taught and therefore very grateful and encouraged by your educated comments and appraisal Chaz.

Since my earlier musical days (before the 9-5 took centre-stage) I've been drifting aimlessly with no-one to really learn from or share thoughts and ideas with. However, this is a fantastic community here and I'm really excited now and inspired to work much harder to achieve the objective satisfaction of my peers and more learn'ed musicians, whether it be on grounds of technical critique or just the overall impression.

So many tuneful sequences queueing up in my head now - it hurts!

Thank you again

Brendan.
    < Message edited by brendantownsend -- 1/15/2005 1:36:59 AM >

S6Pro; P5v2; XV-5080; V-Drums+SPD11; 2x Delta 1010; Soundcraft 24ch; TC M3000 Reverb; Keystation Pro88; Alesis M1Active 620; Dual 3.2GHz 2+2MB; 4GB 800MHz XMS-2; 5x 10krpm HDD; RAID-0; XP PRO & 64
    hedgeman
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 58
    RE: New kid on the block... 2005/01/14 21:24:56 (permalink)
    Hi Brendan,

This is truly a great piece......perhaps I spend too long trying to be the producer and not getting around to writing more heart felt music, (which is the reason I took to playing keyboards in the first place!)

Anyway, I'm glad I'm not the only one in the UK who sits up to all hours of the morning listening to submitted songs on this forum!

Keep up the good work!........makes a change to hear something different!

http://www.hedgefundgiants.co.uk

If it aint broke, don't fix it!!
    brendantownsend
    RE: New kid on the block... 2005/01/15 11:51:15 (permalink)
    Hi Andy.

Thanks for your review and comments.

Like yourself I'm often up until about 3am composing and the like, and certainly more recently reviewing websites and compositions of our artistic companions on the forums. I will also follow up with my humble suggestions on requests for comments once I have a bit more time.

I'm also putting together some ideas for another track which will probably be the start of my album project as I thought that, without just sounding similar, it would be nice to have just a little synergy between the "bookends" and probably a good idea to do that now.

I'll try to keep it sufficiently "different" though

Brendan
    < Message edited by brendantownsend -- 1/15/2005 4:59:07 PM >

brendantownsend
    New kid on the block with Orchestration "Prehistoric Majesty". 2005/01/16 16:20:19 (permalink)
    Hello all.

I had intended to refine my Fragile Earth orchestration this weekend but a new orchestration is taking pride of place at the moment. I had to catch that moment of inspiration and get something down before I lost it.

Now having spent only 1 1/2 days on this it is very "Thrown Together" purely for the purposes of overall impression, and unlike having to break things apart to address valuable comments and suggestions in retrospect, I just figured that I would throw this one open and work in your good ideas (etc) as it progresses.

The piece is called "Prehistoric Majesty" and designed to form the leading track of my CD album project. As the leading track it starts off with the beginning of time and musically depicts roving dinosaurs across open planes. There is a heavy bass beat representing big things walking so you might like to have a hand ready on the bass control. I also threw in a faster middle section depicting little things (meals on legs) being chased by a bigger creature, though this is only one short section and there will ultimately be others before the ending.

This is presented just for overall impression. I do have ideas where it can be improved with more time and other instruments, though that will have to wait until I get my USB to MIDI converter for extra channels - 16 channels down the one cable to my XV wasn't quite enough!

I won't say any more as I don't want to "lead the witness" so-to-speak.

Prehistoric_Majesty.mp3

Thank you in advance for your time and consideration.

Brendan.
    < Message edited by brendantownsend -- 1/16/2005 10:24:59 PM >

esummers@juno.com
    • Total Posts : 143
    RE: New kid on the block... 2005/01/18 05:00:40 (permalink)
    Brendan,

This composition is worth the listen. Good title. When you consider what we are doing to this earth, it should be sad and introspective. I would really like to hear the rest of your work.

-Ed Summers
    brendantownsend
    RE: New kid on the block... 2005/01/18 08:48:44 (permalink)
    Thank you Ed for your feedback and comments, though given the title of my first piece then I assume your comments relate to "Fragile Earth".

However, I am working on another piece (i.e. the beginning of my album project) and although the orchestration is only a third complete it may also be worth a listen if you were interested. It is entitled "Prehistoric Majesty" as I thought it fitting to start with ages past. Anyway, here's the link.

Prehistoric_Majesty.mp3

Please feel free to critique as it develops

Thank you again.

Brendan.
    < Message edited by brendantownsend -- 1/18/2005 1:57:12 PM >

esummers@juno.com
    • Total Posts : 143
    RE: New kid on the block... 2005/01/18 10:45:01 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: brendantownsend

Prehistoric_Majesty.mp3

Brendan,

You certainly are not the average composer. The word "posterity" comes to mind. Very unique. Have you been commissioned in any way to do these compositions or is this your preferred style?

Good Stuff.

-Ed
    brendantownsend
    RE: New kid on the block... 2005/01/18 12:18:14 (permalink)
    Hello Ed

First I can't express just how happy it makes me to hear someone with so much knowledge, experience and respect in the music scene (i.e. yourself) to call my work "very unique".

This is however only my first "power" orchestral that I've ever attempted, as my former tunes were simpler in nature and I only aquired my first professional MIDI module a couple of months ago. Before then I was just messing around with naff sound fonts with an Audigy card on my over-stretched PC, and the desire for something better drove my ambitions for that MIDI module.

What I would say however is that I have had a lifetime of experiences and pent-up emotions that I know you will relate to, and this I hope comes out in my music and therefore the style I'm more attuned to.

If ever a commission deal arrived on the table (realistically speaking, probably never) then I believe that I would call upon my experiences and work them into my music - whatever the mood should be. All I do is close my eyes, think of a scene that relates to how I am feeling (or want to feel), and then the music just comes to me. That I believe is the best way to compose music - i.e. exactly what you truly feel inside, and think it helps being an emotional sorta' guy.

Hopefully the perceived beauty and majesty of the dinosaur age for this particular track comes out. I will be extending this further to musically depict soaring pterodactyls and other similar scenes that one could imagine, and should eventually be between 10 to 15 mins long.

Once again Ed, thank you for your comments and please always feel free to comment as it progresses. Hopefully I won't annoy anyone by posting any further extensions of this work or any other as I'm not a publicity junkie - just a lover of music with an overwhelming compassion to continually improve and learn from the suggestions and comments of others.

Brendan.
    < Message edited by brendantownsend -- 1/18/2005 11:08:34 PM >

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1