New mix of Alone. Hopefully the final one.

Author
stuart3844
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 87
2012/05/27 19:21:15 (permalink)

New mix of Alone. Hopefully the final one.

Any comments welcome.
Thanks to Ben for your tips. Looking to get this off to some local folk stations now.

http://soundcloud.com/stuartbroughton/alone-4-for-radio

Sonar X1 Studio, ToneBooster Voxengo and Klanghelm plugins
Windows7 64bit on AthlonII x4 631, 8GB
Studio - Focusrite Saffire Pro40, krk Rokit 5s
sE2200, 2xsE4s, AKG112, GA R1 Ribbon and loads of SM57s
Home -  Focusrite Saffire 6 USB, Alesis M1 Mk2s, DT990

Facebook - "York Road Studio"

20 Replies Related Threads

BenMMusTech
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2606
    Re:New mix of Alone. Hopefully the final one. 2012/05/27 20:47:48 (permalink)
    Hey Stuart, love the bottom end on this version.  It sounds warm and full, I feel as if I am about to go into battle on the celtic highlands of Scotland.

A couple of things, when mastering use this plug set at K-14 which is for mastering http://www.voxengo.com/product/span/ it's free and it will tell you how much actual headroom you have, you don't want the track driffting to far into the red, esp for this sort of music.  Do a little reading up on the meter and what it actually does.  Look up a guy called Bob Katz, he is the one who I think invented this style of metering.  I think his website has some information on K-meters.

Secondly be carful of the mids to high mids, there were a couple of moments, when the vocalists sound was a little brittle, I'd leave the track as it sounds but in the future, if you record this vocalist again be aware of this and if you can use a different microphone on her voice, one that isn't so bright.

Overall though, wow you really have done some excellent work, just love how much beef you have added to the track, you can really hear the bass instruments come through now and this is what I think you wanted to happen.

Ben

Benjamin Phillips-Bachelor of Creative Technology (Sound and Audio Production), (Hons) Sonic Arts, MMusTech (Master of Music Technology), M.Phil (Fine Art)
    http://1331.space/
    https://thedigitalartist.bandcamp.com/
    http://soundcloud.com/aaudiomystiks
    Janet
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8094
    Re:New mix of Alone. Hopefully the final one. 2012/05/27 22:56:30 (permalink)
    Absolutely fantastic!  Wow--she can sing!!
    foxwolfen
    • Total Posts : 8256
    Re:New mix of Alone. Hopefully the final one. 2012/05/27 23:32:57 (permalink)
    OMG I love this. But the bass is way overwhelming. I suspect that the reason I hear so much over-boosted bass here in the song forum is that today's small (8 inch or less) near field monitors may reproduce tone accurately, but they cannot output the low end db needed (its just simple physics). In this case I would use envelopes as the tone is fine.

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    BenMMusTech
    Re:New mix of Alone. Hopefully the final one. 2012/05/28 02:09:33 (permalink)
    foxwolfen

OMG I love this. But the bass is way overwhelming. I suspect that the reason I hear so much over-boosted bass here in the song forum is that today's small (8 inch or less) near field monitors may reproduce tone accurately, but they cannot output the low end db needed (its just simple physics). In this case I would use envelopes as the tone is fine.

Hey Shad can you clarify this response about the bass, I've been helping Stuart with this one because of the WOW factor, and I thought the bass was pretty good and I listend to it on my Beyerdynamic headphones and then my Tannoy monitors and then my pissy computer 5w speakers.

Now on my pissy speakers the bass came through really well, so that is why I felt the bass was okay, where I felt it was going wrong was the mids to the high mids.

I say this beacuse I know all these listening enviroments well and I listened to the track on my monitors at a mesured volume level, meaning I have calibrated the voloume levels and know it's sitting at around 80db.  My room is fairly well treated as well.

On the pissy speakers though we were getting some distortion, in those hi mids.  Now once again I know these speakers and I know most music distorts them at hi volume, including David Bowies last album Reality which I use as a reference (I use this album and all of his last few as a reference because they are a good example of how not to master, they really are some of the hottest sounding masters).  This allows me to work out if there is going to be a problem latter down the track.  I hope that makes sense, if i can turn the pissy speakers up as loud as the David Bowie album and no distortion, then I know the master is good.  I think that makes sense.

I think we all need to pull togther on this one because this is an excellent track, so clarify the statement about envelopes because I am not sure I know what you mean and I want the best for Stuart on this track, so if you can clarify what you mean and I can hear the problem I might be able to fix!!.

Cheers Ben

Benjamin Phillips-Bachelor of Creative Technology (Sound and Audio Production), (Hons) Sonic Arts, MMusTech (Master of Music Technology), M.Phil (Fine Art)
    stuart3844
    Re:New mix of Alone. Hopefully the final one. 2012/05/28 03:35:46 (permalink)
    Thanks guys for your comments.

Ben:
    "a couple of moments, when the vocalists sound was a little brittle".

I had noticed a couple of points where it sounded like there was a little top end distortion on the vocal. To me this was most noticeable at 3:36 and 3:34. I didnt know whether this was due to "over processing" (if there is such a thing), clipping (although i have been careful with my levels) or now, following your comment,  limitations of the mic showing through.
    We built our studio on a tight budget last year and one of our primary purchase was some "decent" mics. Bear in mind decent meant a step up from the SM58 stage mics we had all ready. We went for some sE mics and use a sE2200 for vocals and have been very happy with the results, but i would still consider these mics as "entry level".
    Can you expand on your comment with this in mind.

Foxwolfen:
    "But the bass is way overwhelming"

I wanted to get a powerful "stirring" bottom end on this especially with the opening phrase and in the toms sections there are two bass lines playing.  These sound great on their own but have been difficult to bring out in the overall mix. So its been a challenge.
    I love bass, I am a bass player (although this is not me) and like to hear the instrument especially where there is a nice melodic bass line like from "High on a mountain....." (2:02). With that said i am aware of my tendency to over do it and need to real it in sometimes. I will have a careful listen with your comments in mind.

Interestingly, i have been battling with my choice of monitors. I mix at home and usually use Alisis M1 Mk2s but was concerned about their quality and though i might be better off with the krk RP5s we use in the studio. My first mix with the krks came out VERY bassy. A good demonstration of the principals you describe. I will be going back to the M1s and my search for the right upgrade will commence.

Thanks again guys

BenMMusTech
    Re:New mix of Alone. Hopefully the final one. 2012/05/28 03:47:35 (permalink)
    Hey Stuart, I know you must be feeling a little frustrated, going back and a-b,ing everything and then second guessing yourself.

What I want you to do is place the spectrum analyser over the vocals and see where the frequency is peaking, I think somewhere in the 1khz-3khz range and just dip it slightly with an EQ, I'd also do something similar on the electric rhythm guitar too.

About the bass, use the frequency analyser and check the drum and bass buss, if that is how you have mixed the track, I've noticed a massive improvement in the clarity on the bass instruments and I loved it too, but Shad knows what he is talking about.  If the bass instruments are around -20db at 80hz on the spectrum analyser I would suggest dipping at around 400hz.

But any suggestions from Shad would be most welcome on this.

Regards Ben

jamesyoyo
    Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3460
    Re:New mix of Alone. Hopefully the final one. 2012/05/28 07:18:55 (permalink)
    Sounds good to me. Loved the Morocco feel at 1:23.
    stuart3844
    Re:New mix of Alone. Hopefully the final one. 2012/05/28 08:48:40 (permalink)
    stuart3844

I love bass, I am a bass player (although this is not me) and like to hear the instrument especially where there is a nice melodic bass line like from "High on a hill....." (2:02). With that said i am aware of my tendency to over do it and need to real it in sometimes. I will have a careful listen with your comments in mind.

I had a bit of a "but of course...." moment on the way to work while testing this track on my car stereo. I have found that my mixes often come out too bassy in the car, but when i set the stereo's bass, treble and EQ to neutral it is ok. I have just twigged that i am mixing to MY preferable B/T balance and not mixing to a neutral balance and then adjusting the stereo to my preferences.

Having said that, this mix didn't sound too bad in the car.

I think i need to pay more attention to my monitor set up relative to some reference material.
    post edited by stuart3844 - 2012/05/28 12:45:36

Lynn
    Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6117
    Re:New mix of Alone. Hopefully the final one. 2012/05/28 11:48:08 (permalink)
    I love this song more now than the first time I heard it.  I think this is being way over thought concerning the lows and mids.  Let's not get so analytical or surgical that the main feeling is lost.  It's too bad that we can't all listen on the same system, but by checking our mixes on as many systems as possible is the best we can do in most cases.  You can't please all monitors nor ears.  I think it stands on its own as is.  Well done to all involved.

All the best,
    Lynn

my songs
    www.soundclick.com/lynnwilson

www.youtube.com/lywilson
    my videos

Cakewalk by Bandlab| Sonar Platinum @ 64bits| i7 860 | 8 gigs ram | W10 @ 64 bits | RME FF 400
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:New mix of Alone. Hopefully the final one. 2012/05/28 12:04:09 (permalink)
    this is fantastic!  bass sounds perfect in my studio on my truths.

vocals are haunting and just fantastic!  mix is really good all around.  no crits at all!  I love this!

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    stuart3844
    Re:New mix of Alone. Hopefully the final one. 2012/05/28 12:32:06 (permalink)
    Lynn

......  I think this is being way over thought concerning the lows and mids.  Let's not get so analytical or surgical that the main feeling is lost......
    Thanks for you feedback again Lynn. I am happy with the analytical and surgical comments, as because this only the second track i have mixed properly (Must be Nice is the other which i now know needs more work),  I need to learn as much as i can from the process. However, one thing i have learned is that you need to check back once in a while to make sure you are not loosing the magic of earlier, rawer, mixes.

We have so much good stuff in the can now ready for mixing i need to learn as much as i can  to do them justice.

I really do appreciate every bodies help

morenoise
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1074
    Re:New mix of Alone. Hopefully the final one. 2012/05/28 12:43:11 (permalink)
    Hi Stuart, great song and production, vocal is fantastic. I personally don't like the sound of the electric guitar but those eastern scales are a nice touch.

Rik
    Wookiee
    Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
    • Total Posts : 13306
    Re:New mix of Alone. Hopefully the final one. 2012/05/28 12:44:01 (permalink)
    Just a personal perspective and feel free to say what do you know, the Bass is there but for my ears it sounds like it could do with some clarity.  Perhaps some selective cuts to certain instruments so that each can take their place in the sound stage creating even more presence.

However it is your song, your sound.

Enough of that, liked the song, she has a very cool voice suited the song well.

Thanks for sharing

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
    Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
    Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
    Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
    CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
    stuart3844
    Re:New mix of Alone. Hopefully the final one. 2012/05/30 02:49:34 (permalink)
    Slight update to this song. Tweaked the mid highes (was a spike at 2100Hz, thanks again Ben). Also took the guitar down a bit at 0:55 where it was stomping on the opening word of the vocal line. Took the doubled vocal at the end down a bit too.

Now i just need to leave it "Alone"

http://soundcloud.com/stuartbroughton/alone-4-for-radio
    post edited by stuart3844 - 2012/05/30 02:50:39

thomas1234567890
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24
    Re:New mix of Alone. Hopefully the final one. 2012/05/30 03:00:16 (permalink)
    hi stewart hey is that e string of guitar tuned down at the start of song? (or is it a bass??)  also is this a cover of an irish folk song or is this original? its really good guiar work (vocals is great too but i also notice guitar stuff ) great song!!
    BenMMusTech
    Re:New mix of Alone. Hopefully the final one. 2012/05/30 03:26:22 (permalink)
    Hey Stuart, my ears are a bit tired but, I can hear the fixes, the vocal is not as brittle in that area we talked about and I can hear you have brought the electric rhythm down as well.  Nice!!

Hi Thomas, nice to see a new member in the song forum, in answer to part of your queston, I think what your hearing and it may be confusing you and this is no slight at Stuart or his group, is a bit of Greensleaves. It's Stuarts bands original with a bit of Greensleaves thrown in for good measure.

And this is why this is such a great song because it's so familiar because of the Greensleaves hook but if you don't know Greensleaves or only know of it only in passing you'd never recognize it and here endeth the lesson, everybody steals but the truly great now how to disguise what they have stolen.

Fortuantly for Stuart there is nobody around to collect the royalties!!

As I say don't take offence Stuart, though, I just know melodies and have played Greensleaves on the recorder a lot.  LOL

Peace and great work brother!!

Ben

daryl1968
    • Total Posts : 10984
    Re:New mix of Alone. Hopefully the final one. 2012/05/30 07:39:07 (permalink)
    3rd time I've listened to this - heard it on the previous 2 posts too.
    It certainly has got the Wow factor - much more in your face than the previous 2 incarnations and I enjoyed those versions too.
    Nice one
    paulo
    Max Output Level: -13 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6218
    Re:New mix of Alone. Hopefully the final one. 2012/05/30 14:55:15 (permalink)
    Haven't heard any earlier versions, but this one sounds pretty good to me. Looking forward to hearing some more of your work.
    foxwolfen
    Re:New mix of Alone. Hopefully the final one. 2012/05/30 16:51:48 (permalink)
    Sorry for not getting back to you sooner, Ben and Stuart. I use KRKs for monitoring here too, so instead I fired this up on my HI-Fi (Reference 3a monitors/PSB sub driven by a pure stereo Rotel amp), turned it up, and you are indeed correct. Assuming this is the same mix as before, it sounds fantastic. Then I turned it down, and thats when the bass began to become muddy again and overly prevalent (I had listened at relatively low volume the first time). I will confess this is an interesting phenomenon to me. Not sure what is going on. It may be the different sound cards (the better Burr Brown DACs are on the hifi HEC) coloring the sounds. I am going to have to be more careful in the future.

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    foxwolfen
    Re:New mix of Alone. Hopefully the final one. 2012/05/30 16:57:58 (permalink)
    OK, just finished a back to back comparison, and I think I know whats going on... Only my HiFi is capable of reproducing the lower subharmonics which fills in the bottom end and warms up the tone and deepens the bass. As I said above, I am going to have to be way more careful. I am also going to have to revisit the claim i denied that KRK has has port noise... I think what I may have been hearing is exactly that (I have gotten lazy, I used to listen to songs through multiple sources, but figured "why bother" these days. I guess I just found out why).

Composers Forum
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1