New mix of Rescue Me with live drums

Author
AndyW
Max Output Level: -45.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2956
2008/12/19 22:20:09 (permalink)

New mix of Rescue Me with live drums

Remixed with Frank Basile on drums from livestudiodrums.com. ThanX Frank!

All drums were mixed with UA plugs and I also added a Moog filter to certain parts.

http://www.drivehq.com/file/df.aspx/publish/AndyW/PublicFolder/RescueMe33.mp3

Best,

AndyW

OBJECTS IN MIRROR ARE CLOSER THAN THEY APPEAR

www.soundclick.com/andyw

19 Replies Related Threads

jamesyoyo
    Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3460
    RE: New mix of Rescue Me with live drums 2008/12/19 22:48:34 (permalink)
    Nice tune.

Crits:
    The acoustic is too loud and it dominates your vocals, when the words should be the centerpiece.
    Whatever noodling that was in the intro, I could not hear it.
    The transition from the first chorus to the acoustic break came across a bit awkward.
    On the chorus I could stand to hear some more passion, and more pleading: that the words are asking for.
    AndyW
    RE: New mix of Rescue Me with live drums 2008/12/20 02:45:50 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: jamesyoyo

Nice tune.

Crits:
    The acoustic is too loud and it dominates your vocals, when the words should be the centerpiece.
    Whatever noodling that was in the intro, I could not hear it.
    The transition from the first chorus to the acoustic break came across a bit awkward.
    On the chorus I could stand to hear some more passion, and more pleading: that the words are asking for.

ThanX f or the listen and the comments. I agree, the intro part is too soft. I also changed the timing of rhythm going into the first break BACK to what the drummer originally had(I had moved the snare hits slightly trying to make it "better" but I hear something "off" now as well, now that you mentioned it). I also bumped the one acoustic down a bit. Probably won't be redoing the lyrics soon but yeah, I could probably do better...

http://www.drivehq.com/file/df.aspx/publish/AndyW/PublicFolder/RescueMe34.mp3

Best,

AndyW

www.soundclick.com/andyw
    tdye
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1926
    RE: New mix of Rescue Me with live drums 2008/12/20 09:20:11 (permalink)
    Andy, I really am not that crazy about the drums. On the other hand the vox is awesome and accompaniment is great.

Tom
    http://www.soundclick.com/tomdye
    http://www.ourstage.com/profile/tomdye
    http://twitter.com/tom_dye

Dell Dimension 8400 Pentium 4 w/HyperThreading 3.2GHz, 3 GB Ram, Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS (WDM)
    Sonar 8 Producer Edition, Rapture, Project5
    AndyW
    RE: New mix of Rescue Me with live drums 2008/12/20 20:08:53 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: tdye

Andy, I really am not that crazy about the drums. On the other hand the vox is awesome and accompaniment is great.

ThanX for the listen, Tom. I am curious as to what didn't you like about the drums? The groove or the mix?

If you have the time to listen ,my original EZdrummer drums version of this song is at www.soundclick.com/andyw for comparison.

Best,

AndyW

www.soundclick.com/andyw
    Philip
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4062
    RE: New mix of Rescue Me with live drums 2008/12/20 21:06:39 (permalink)
    You obviously are a challenged evangel experiencing the gospel ... and you've brought the whole garage of instruments together into the strain. Their levels are dreadfully consistent, except at the beginning and end. Fortunately the song is not that long ... you might get away with the loudness wars (of instruments).

"Drowning in depths of my sins" "Jesus won't You rescue me” buried/masked(?) in the mix precariously matches the sinner’s prayer mood … in part, methinks. Yet, I can see why there’s no ‘bursting forth … no walking on the waters’, as this is a saint’s melancholy; you have every right to drown in majestic lamentation before the Savior. Then the verb on the lead drowns the vox ‘deeper’ at times.

The problem is that the vox is dominant and its cry of salvation from stormy-sin begs (to my ears) to be heard a little more ... at least at times ... through ... and above ... the stormy 'waves'. JMO!

But technically, its easier on my ears if you bring instruments in and out, including the bass-line and drums. And/or reverb them back at different distances, etc.

I risk stating that the acoustic guitar(s) (RT especially) may be a bit over-weighted with their consistent loudness. But I may be wrong!

Where "Fear Grips my heart" ... I'd also back up a little on the instruments: (reverb, EQ-sculpting, widening, volume, etc.)

Sir, this is my 3rd personal favorite song that I’ve heard (of hundreds posted here): your lyrics are top-notch and the groaning may afford to get spooky at time. Methinks the cross-gospel gets seriously spooky at times (like my sins). Did you hear GuitarHacker's 'Fall Down' and No-How's 'Bursting Silence'. Their gospel cries break through the musical pomp, without shyness nor melodyne. So, to me, those 2 songs alone, supercede Rescue Me. (But this may become my favorite)

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
    tdye
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1926
    RE: New mix of Rescue Me with live drums 2008/12/21 09:41:38 (permalink)
    Andy, The kick seems muffled, and the snare dominates the drum track on this newer version, and almost sounds loop-like at times. I generally liked the drum rythms on the new version better than the old but was disappointed that live didn't sound more live. There is one point towards the end, about 2:30 I think where your EZdrummer goes tacit, the live guy would have been well advised to have done the same and let your guitar take center stage as you originally had. Maybe a little EQ on the drum track would liven there sound.

Tom
    http://www.soundclick.com/tomdye
    http://www.ourstage.com/profile/tomdye
    http://twitter.com/tom_dye

Dell Dimension 8400 Pentium 4 w/HyperThreading 3.2GHz, 3 GB Ram, Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS (WDM)
    Sonar 8 Producer Edition, Rapture, Project5
    jamesg1213
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 21760
    RE: New mix of Rescue Me with live drums 2008/12/21 10:20:42 (permalink)
    Hi Andy,

The guys are getting stuck into your mix here, so I'll just say I liked the song and performances. Nice to hear a Christian tune doubling as a decent rock song.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    AndyW
    RE: New mix of Rescue Me with live drums 2008/12/21 22:49:30 (permalink)
    Philip,

Thoughtful critiques like yours are why I come here. ThanX much. I will look at every aspect you commented on. Appreciate your high regard for the composition as well.

I'll definitely check out those other tunes.
    post edited by AndyW - 2008/12/21 23:03:02

Best,

AndyW

www.soundclick.com/andyw
    AndyW
    RE: New mix of Rescue Me with live drums 2008/12/21 22:50:32 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: tdye

Andy, The kick seems muffled, and the snare dominates the drum track on this newer version, and almost sounds loop-like at times. I generally liked the drum rythms on the new version better than the old but was disappointed that live didn't sound more live. There is one point towards the end, about 2:30 I think where your EZdrummer goes tacit, the live guy would have been well advised to have done the same and let your guitar take center stage as you originally had. Maybe a little EQ on the drum track would liven there sound.

ThanX, Tom. The drums mix isn't quite "right" for me either. I intend to work on it. ThanX for the comment.

Best,

AndyW

www.soundclick.com/andyw
    AndyW
    RE: New mix of Rescue Me with live drums 2008/12/21 22:55:18 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: jamesg1213

Hi Andy,

The guys are getting stuck into your mix here,

That's cool...it's what I asked for...

so I'll just say I liked the song and performances. Nice to hear a Christian tune doubling as a decent rock song.

ThanX much, James.

Best,

AndyW

www.soundclick.com/andyw
    Bob Oister
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2766
    RE: New mix of Rescue Me with live drums 2008/12/22 02:52:07 (permalink)
    Hi, Andy,

I love the song and performance. The vocals and message of the song are very uplifting and nicely done. I do agree with Tom that the drums sound a bit muffled or overall "flat" in the mix, but I think you could easily fix it with some creative EQ work to brighten the drums and reshape the mix a little bit.

Once again, I really enjoyed the song and wish you a Merry Christmas!

Best wishes,
    Bob
    DarrylCoy
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 774
    RE: New mix of Rescue Me with live drums 2008/12/22 09:57:06 (permalink)
    Nice song and the vox is very good.

The drums are buried.

The EQ on the high end is overdone (the cymbals don't sound right - perhaps this is Soundclick compressing the file and introducing artifacts).

Mamabear
    • Total Posts : 8954
    RE: New mix of Rescue Me with live drums 2008/12/22 14:48:47 (permalink)
    The timing definitely makes me stop and think, but it's cool! :-) Is that 5/8 or what? Sounds like the guys have covered the mix stuff so I'll say I love the tune--very singable and remember-able. :-) Good singing and playing too!
    AndyW
    RE: New mix of Rescue Me with live drums 2008/12/23 22:30:41 (permalink)
    Bob, Darrly and Janet,

Great input. I started from scratch with the drum eq and fx and think this is better(I remembered to add some "beater click" to the kick drum so smaller speakers hear the kick...). I also modifed the instrumentation a bit on the beginning of the second verse. This was in response to the comments regarding sameness, etc.

I also made the drums and vocals a bit louder. Hopefully they sound more "real" because, well they are real drums! IF you think they still arn't right please do comment. I think I am done with this one for now until after the new year. I do like the real drums better than the EZDrummer drums tho'... ThanX again all...Merry Christmas!

Oh...and Janet, Yes it is 5/4 then 6/8 then 4/4. At least that is how I count it in my mind...

http://www.drivehq.com/file/df.aspx/publish/AndyW/PublicFolder/RescueMe37.mp3

http://www.drivehq.com/file/df.aspx/publish/AndyW/PublicFolder/RescueMe38.mp3 (even louder drums)
    post edited by AndyW - 2008/12/24 02:06:59

Best,

AndyW

www.soundclick.com/andyw
    AndyW
    RE: New mix of Rescue Me with live drums 2009/01/01 07:13:34 (permalink)
    I know I know...I can't let this one go...but I think I finally got the live drums right!

http://www.soundclick.com/util/downloadSong.cfm?ID=6975489

Best,

AndyW

www.soundclick.com/andyw
    Mamabear
    • Total Posts : 8954
    RE: New mix of Rescue Me with live drums 2009/01/01 13:29:35 (permalink)
    Ah... a real drummer! What a treat! I wish one of my drummer friends had a studio..

Anyway, this sounds great! Way to go! I'm also enjoying listening to the next song that came up automatically. Love that one especially!
    AndyW
    RE: New mix of Rescue Me with live drums 2009/01/01 17:36:07 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Mamabear

Ah... a real drummer! What a treat! I wish one of my drummer friends had a studio..

Anyway, this sounds great! Way to go! I'm also enjoying listening to the next song that came up automatically. Love that one especially!

For about a hundred bucks Frank will play for you too...

www.livestudiodrums.com

ThanX for taking a listen...the drum mix on this one has been kicking my posterior for 2 weeks now...

Best,

AndyW

www.soundclick.com/andyw
    No How
    Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5180
    RE: New mix of Rescue Me with live drums 2009/01/01 17:58:45 (permalink)
    This is a pearl. Great song. Killer hook and mix. Love that delay on the guitar. Did you do this in Sonar producer?
    There was one funny harmony note at 3:15 but i doubt most will even hear it...in fact it was probably my imagination.

s o n g s

– Beauty lodged in a bad hotel has no value.  Raymond Lull
    AndyW
    RE: New mix of Rescue Me with live drums 2009/01/01 18:06:32 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: No How

This is a pearl. Great song. Killer hook and mix. Love that delay on the guitar. Did you do this in Sonar producer?
    There was one funny harmony note at 3:15 but i doubt most will even hear it...in fact it was probably my imagination.

ThanX, Rick. Yep...SONAR8PE. I'll try and fix that last note... ThanX for listening.

Best,

AndyW

www.soundclick.com/andyw
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1