New monitors and old ears

Author
Butch
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 175
2009/03/29 19:16:20 (permalink)

New monitors and old ears

Hello all,

I have been using a pair of Alesis M1 active monitors for the last seven years. I just bought a pair of Yamaha HS80M monitors, thinking I was moving up. When I first listened to them, I thought the high end was really harsh and there was not as much bottom as my M1s. A second listen confirmed my feelings the next day. I experimented with the switches on the back and made it a little better. I decided to send them back. I set the M1s back up and too my surprise, the bottom didn't sound any better. The high end now sounded worse than the Yamahas. The Yamahas sounded bigger and sharper and put the vocals front and center, focused. What's wrong with my ears? Why does my opinion change back and forth? Any known psycho-acoustic mess I'm dealing with?

Thanks for your help.

Butch
Let's make some art!

10 Replies Related Threads

Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: New monitors and old ears 2009/03/29 21:48:27 (permalink)
    Asheville NC... what a beautiful town. I have a few customers there. I love the mts.... I'm from the flat lands...4 hrs east in Sims.... close to wilson...30 minutes east of raleigh..... anyway...about the monitors.

Reference monitors are NOT supposed to color the sound.... however,,,, to one degree or another, they do. Refernce monitors are supposed to be a true representation of what the music really sounds like. There are some "rules" about where to set them up and where not to set them up. I'm no expert on this but I understand they should not be on the floor or close to a wall. I can not set up by those rules due to space requirements....

I don't know the monitors you have..... but I do know that when I bought mine (Mackie MR-5) I was able to compare them side by side with the same material playing..... and yes... all the different pairs of so called "flat reference monitors" all sounded different to one degree or another. I bought the pair that I thought sounded the best..... that's what we all do.

As to why they don't sound good...or satisfactory..... I dunno..... maybe, because you didn't really like the first pair, so you thought to upgrade.... but the new ones didn't cut it, and going back to the first set...well, they just are now showing their flaws too..... ?????

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Rbh
    Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2349
    RE: New monitors and old ears 2009/03/29 22:13:54 (permalink)
    What is the source material you're using? If it's older mixs that you made on the M1's then that might not be a fair test at all. If you have some standard cd's that you trust then you may have to just re-train your ears in that environment. I've heard a number of reviews from a few on this forum that say the Yamaha's are pretty good sounding. If you're hearing harsh sounding high end then I would more than likely assume that your ears may need some time to acclimate. That wouldn't likely be a function of the environment unless you're hearing it way out of balance with the low end.

I7 930 2.8 Asus PDX58D
    12 Gig
    Appollo
    CbB, Sonar Pro, Reaper, Samplitude, MixBuss
     Win7 Pro

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=902832
    skullsession
    Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1765
    RE: New monitors and old ears 2009/03/29 22:46:12 (permalink)
    You should have done a few mixes with the new monitors before you sent them back.

Did you, or did you immediately notice a difference and send them back?

If you DID do mixes....how did they sound on other systems compared to you old mixes?

HOOK:  Skullsessions.com  / Darwins God Album

"Without a doubt I would have far greater listening and aural skills than most of the forum members here. Not all but many I am sure....I have done more listening than most people." - Jeff Evans on how awesome Jeff Evans is.
    Lanceindastudio
    Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4604
    RE: New monitors and old ears 2009/03/30 00:20:49 (permalink)
    I have a friend that replaced the Alesis M1's with those Yamahas and it was night and day. You probably should have given it a little more consideration lol...

Asus P8Z77-V LE PLUS Motherboard   
    i7 3770k CPU
    32 gigs RAM
    Presonus AudioBox iTwo
    Windows 10 64 bit, SONAR PLATINUM 64 bit
    Lots of plugins and softsynths and one shot samples, loops
    Gauge ECM-87, MCA SP-1, Alesis AM51
    Presonus Eureka
    Mackie HR824's and matching subwoofer
    AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    RE: New monitors and old ears 2009/03/30 00:31:16 (permalink)
    It sounds like you were just used to the old monitors and just didn't like the Yamas. But then the old monitors didnt' sound right - something was missing. I would think the Yamas were better - or flatter. They are supposed to be good and if they are like my old Yamahas (big brother to the NS 10s w/ 8 inch woofers) they are pretty decent.

It could be you weren't used to them, you don't like them or your room can't handle the bass. They are probably less flattering to the music. The Yama MS 7s (I think that is the right desigation) are supposed to be flatter still. You want to hear the music, warts and all.

Sorry- its late - if the above doesn't make much sense.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Butch
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 175
    RE: New monitors and old ears 2009/03/30 07:48:51 (permalink)
    Thanks everyone,

The Yamahas are sitting in their boxes in the studio, so I haven't lost them yet. When one puts new speakers in a guitar cab, they usually have to be broken in first. Do you think the same is true for monitors?

Butch
    Let's make some art!
    rumleymusic
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1533
    RE: New monitors and old ears 2009/03/30 14:31:31 (permalink)
    The Yamahas are sitting in their boxes in the studio, so I haven't lost them yet. When one puts new speakers in a guitar cab, they usually have to be broken in first. Do you think the same is true for monitors?

Some monitors need to be broken in. It is a good idea to let them settle first, though I doubt you will notice that much of a difference.

The M1's, are notoriously bass heavy. The sound you are getting off the HS80's is probably much more honest. I would give them another shot. The important thing about monitors is not how great they make the music sound, but how well they translate to a variety of systems. Yamaha's are the industry standard for that.
    Kalle Rantaaho
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7005
    RE: New monitors and old ears 2009/03/30 15:33:57 (permalink)
    I don't think there's any breaking in - except for your ears.
    When you buy new stuff, you anticipate a lot, and getting only "some improvement" the disappointment makes the new ones sound poorer than they are.
    It's like wine. You don't pay for the taste (alone), you pay for the history/name/ athmosphere.... You can only judge the taste honestly if you don't know, from which bottle the wine comes from.
    Having blind tested the boxes you'd probably chosen the Yamahas (??).

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    Nate
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 726
    RE: New monitors and old ears 2009/03/30 16:16:27 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Butch

Hello all,

I have been using a pair of Alesis M1 active monitors for the last seven years. I just bought a pair of Yamaha HS80M monitors, thinking I was moving up. When I first listened to them, I thought the high end was really harsh and there was not as much bottom as my M1s. A second listen confirmed my feelings the next day. I experimented with the switches on the back and made it a little better. I decided to send them back. I set the M1s back up and too my surprise, the bottom didn't sound any better. The high end now sounded worse than the Yamahas. The Yamahas sounded bigger and sharper and put the vocals front and center, focused. What's wrong with my ears? Why does my opinion change back and forth? Any known psycho-acoustic mess I'm dealing with?

Thanks for your help.

A couple of touch points...none of which are meant as flames just statements:

1. Is your listening room acoustically treated? If not forget about judging your monitors accurately.

2. The differences could stem from many different area's; ie...your recording ability, your room's treatment or lack there of, the postional difference with the monitors. The Yamaha's could be coupling more than the Alesis...I have no idea...you'd have to determine that in your room.

3. Skip your material that you've been listening to on just the M1's. Take 2 or 3 CD's that you know intimately well and listen to the two sets of monitors with that material playing back. That will get you in the ballpark in terms of a Quality judgement.

4. The differences you hear could very well be showing you that the M1's were hyping or not Hyping your material--so what you now hear with the Yamaha's is how you really recorded the material, and how it really sounds. From personal expierience when I made the jump from prosumer to high end I also thought I had made a big big mistake. But I was lucky to have a mentor who came in and remixed some of my tracks and showed me the path to audio enlightenment. Seriously...try a remix with the new ones, then burn duplicates of the old mix and the new mix and take it to someone's house who has a stereo you particullarly like. See what transpires then.... You might find the Yamaha's translate material better.

post edited by Nate - 2009/03/31 15:16:23
    Dave Modisette
    • Total Posts : 11050
    RE: New monitors and old ears 2009/03/30 16:40:46 (permalink)
    I believe a friend has a pair of those Yamahas. I had to switch the mid switch to +2 to get that harsh mid range that I get with my NS10s. Once you get used to them, nothing else sounds right.

Dave Modisette ... rocks a Purrrfect Audio Studio Pro rig.

http://www.gatortraks.com 
    My music.
    ... And of course, the Facebook page. 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1