New project

Author
darylcrowley
Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2700
2007/02/22 09:01:50 (permalink)

New project

My take on the Adu classic.

For some reason I've always wanted to do this song. As an instrumental it gave me a chance to explore some riffs on the basic structure.

I did end the tune with my favorite technique, harmony guitars, which I've never grown tired of since my southern rock days many years ago.

Hopefully I've given this classic a new twist.

Before you pounce on the synth parts, they are NOT midi, but were done with my cheap Yamaha keyboard recorded directly in. I'm also not a keyboard player. But my next project is to get back into midi and get me a decent controller. So forgive the Yamaha. I hope you like the guitars though.

Smooth Operator
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=582907

Daryl
post edited by darylcrowley - 2007/02/22 15:25:21

Daryl Crowley
Sonica Labs I7 Quad Core -
Windows 7 64bit Professional
Sonar 8.5 Producer - Ozone 4
http://www.darylcrowley.com/

17 Replies Related Threads

jamesg1213
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 21760
    RE: New project 2007/02/22 14:59:42 (permalink)
    Hi Daryl, you might want to move your link down a line away from the other text, I think it's stopping it working properly.

Nice guitar work on this as always, the piece was well put together. Let down by the synth sounds I think, but I think you think that too

Just curious - why are you referring to the original artist as 'Adu' ? Never heard her called anything but 'Sade', even though Adu is her surname.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    darylcrowley
    RE: New project 2007/02/22 15:03:03 (permalink)
    Adu is the reference on the sheet music. Assumed she wanted it that way.

Thanks. Yea the little Yamaha is OK for what it is, but midi is my next endeavor.

Glad you liked the guitars though. Thanks.

Daryl Crowley
    j_T
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 155
    RE: New project 2007/02/22 15:30:32 (permalink)
    Very tasty and skillful guitar playing. You know your scales, still you stick to a melodic style. I like that. I like your guitar tone, too.

Great.

Regards,

Tommy
    mcourter
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3442
    RE: New project 2007/02/22 16:28:42 (permalink)
    Love those guitar harmonies, Daryl, and the solo part was very tasteful too. Stylish passing voices, very cool song overall. Nice sax (?) line for texture. Enjoyed this considerably better than the original.
    Mark

A few guitars, a couple of basses, a MIDI controller, a mandolin, a banjo, a mic, PodFarm2
    Unbridled Enthusiasm
     My music: www.Soundclick.com/markcourter
    RLD
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1990
    RE: New project 2007/02/22 16:59:09 (permalink)
    Hmmmm...I'm not sure what kind of a critique you are looking for Daryl.
    For me, there is lots of stuff in this I would change, but I'm not sure you want to hear about that...
    Lets just say I like the guitar sound but there is some distortion, especially at :33 and during that descending octave run...and other places.
    Also lots of hiss that comes and goes...1:38 is the first time but there is more.
    But hey, we're all learning and each time we do a song we get better.

RLD
    marcos69
    Max Output Level: -26 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4950
    RE: New project 2007/02/22 20:46:06 (permalink)
    Its good man, but you know how I feel about guitar hamonies.

Mark Wessels

At CD Baby

At Soundclick
    airmeki
    Max Output Level: -59.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1598
    RE: New project 2007/02/22 22:54:54 (permalink)
    Daryl, nice take on Sade's (probably only) hit. Takes me back to the late 80s.
    At the very beginning (let's say, the first 20-30 secs) I thought I heard a timing issue. I think it's the keys/sax and the bongos. The whole thing is over by 0:40 when the first verse is being played.
    I too heard a slight hiss toward the end of the song (preceded by subtle pop sound).
    Great guitar performance, as usual. Good job!
    Heinz.

Ognis
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5129
    RE: New project 2007/02/23 01:06:58 (permalink)
    Had 4 beers, (drinking Bière du Démon so maybe thats more like 8 ). But the song sounds great, and both my girlfriend and friend thought so too (my girlfriend isn't drinking ). I didn't so much think anything sounded "midi", I thought all the sounds worked, and merged well. There was a guitar part next to end, before the ending guitar part you talked about in the OP, that was way too upfront in the mix. (I'll listen again to tell you what time I mean). Other than that, I thought it sounded great.
    post edited by Ognis - 2007/02/23 01:33:43
    darylcrowley
    RE: New project 2007/02/23 07:45:37 (permalink)
    Thanks all, still learning since I've only had the system since November (although I've been playing guitar for a great many more decades than that: I might actually live long enough to get to be fair on the guitar).

I guess I need better speakers, I can't seem to hear the hiss a couple folks mentioned. I have 5 inch studio monitors, just some KRKs but that's what the budget will bear right now. I can't hear it on my car stereo either. (Too many years playing loud R&R probably.) What's the best tool to remove hiss that I can't hear?

It was my intent to get the lead breaks more up front, I actually toned them back from where they started. The distortion come from the overdrive pedal that I turned just barely on. The high notes accent it more than the low notes.

Marcos - I don't remember how you feel about guitar harmonies. I unabashedly love them, some people don't. I use them a LOT because I do this all for me, and me likes 'em.

I'm admittedly am a rank greenhorn on getting the drums and percussion right. I'm hoping I can find someone to tutor me there.

I finally hooked up the midi cables to my Yamaha last night and checked out the synths in Sonar Producer. WOWWY WOW! I'm like a kid in a candy store. Compared to the general midi stuff in my Yamaha this is a whole new fantastic world. This is going to be fun, I may have to give up the guitar and take up keyboards. Well, not really but this is going to be fun.

Thanks for the input, I'm trying hard to learn here. I don't know why. My band only does concert shows (openings, benefit shows, etc), I'm never going to play nightclubs again (thank goodness) and I have no desire to get back in the rat race of commercial music. But I like doing this and at least my kids will have some part of dad's obsession to remember me by (other than old rock recordings). Plus it's a lot fun giving away CDs: the general public is a lot less discriminating than we are and the local jazz radio program plays my stuff and it all keeps me from a life of crime and self destruction.

Daryl

Daryl Crowley
    RLD
    RE: New project 2007/02/23 09:33:18 (permalink)
    What's the best tool to remove hiss that I can't hear?

The distortion come from the overdrive pedal that I turned just barely on. The high notes accent it more than the low notes.

Hey Daryl,
    It will be pretty hard to remove something you can't hear...
    It sounds to me like its the "pre-roll" if you will, from one of your tracks.
    You probably have some long spaces of silence that are actually hiss and you could edit those out.
    The distortion on the guitar at the spot I mentioned sounds more like a overload clip, not a distortion pedal.

RLD
    darylcrowley
    RE: New project 2007/02/23 09:38:59 (permalink)
    RLD.

Yea there are a couple of tracks with long blank spaces.

There is no clipping, that's for sure. I'm actually running the primary lead through two pedals and using the volume on a booster pedal and and over drive slightly on the second. So whatever is there is the pedal. I'm really anal about keeping the recording levels low.

Thanks. What basic things should I do to clean up those unused portions. What is the "remove silence" funcitons. I've been remiss in not learing and using some of those types of features. No doubt I'm doing a LOT of things wrong. On the other hand, I'm pleased with how far I have come in 4 months, much farther than I thought I would be at this stage.

Thanks again for the help.

Daryl Crowley
    RLD
    RE: New project 2007/02/23 09:48:43 (permalink)
    I'd be willing to bet you have a clip at :33 on that guitar. Look at the wav and see what it looks like.
    Long portions of silence you can just slip edit or split and delete.

RLD
    darylcrowley
    RE: New project 2007/02/23 10:16:04 (permalink)
    I know the spot you mean, and I will take that bet.

That' is a double note, so the distortion from the overdrive pedal is magnified. Plus the guitar is going through a booster pedal first.

When you play two notes simulataneously through any overdive pedal the waves are out of synch and the distortion gets magnified and muddy. In this case I have the gain of the overdrive peadal turned down, the volume up, the booster pedal has the gain up and the volume down. It works well but still suffers from the double note problem. I should probalby re-record those beats over with out the drive.

Those same two notes are repeated again later and the same conflicting waves come up again. The wave forms on the track for those beats are right in line with everything else.

Daryl

I will try the clean up routines. Thanks again.

Daryl Crowley
    opaque slogan
    Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1787
    RE: New project 2007/02/23 10:24:28 (permalink)
    Hey Daryl,
    i'm not going to reiterate any issues already mentioned, i'll just say that i think you did a great job of translating this song into an instrumental, as this generally never seems to work for me.
    Good job.

Mario kart SC, Nintendo Gameboy advance SP, Screen magnifier.

www.myspace.com/opaqueslogan (pre-sonar, raw and nasty)
    darylcrowley
    RE: New project 2007/02/23 10:29:35 (permalink)
    Thanks,

Yea, I just like the chord progression. But at least it got me motivated to get my midi hooked and some synths going up so I can loose the crappy general midi tones from my keyboard. Now I can start that learning curve. But it promises to be a fun journey, if probably frustrating at times. This tune certainly would have benefited from something other than general midi in the background.

Daryl

Daryl Crowley
    ed_mcg
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2741
    RE: New project 2007/02/23 10:34:47 (permalink)
    I like this tune, and you've done an interesting take on it. Nice guitar tones.
    One thing about Sade's music is the deep hypnotic groove, this version isn't quite as locked in, but I'm noting your comment that the keys are not your primary instrument. On the other side of the coin is that thing about midi to be too perfect; it's a trick to push and pull the beat just right.
    post edited by ed_mcg - 2007/02/23 10:58:01
    darylcrowley
    RE: New project 2007/02/23 10:49:02 (permalink)
    ed,

Keys are certainly NOT my instrument. But I know all the chord and chord structures on the keyboard and I can stumble around very basic riffs. But it will be infrequent that I bring them to the front. But I am starting to get our keyboard guy interested and I may tap into his expertise.

Once nice thing at least in recording a midi track vs audio, is I can fix bad notes without having to re-record. I sure wish I could do that with the guitar

I think I will use the midi most for an orchestral backdrop. While I love rhythm guitar, and in fact I wish our band had a lead guitar player better than me (which might not take a lot), so I could play more rhythm. Rhythm is an art form and a lot of fun. But some tunes just work better without a rhythm guitar, or at least not as the primary rhythm instrument. And the contrast between the mellow snyths and the guitar makes the guitar sound even better at times.

This is not my favorite SADE tune, but it is a nice drifty groove, fun to riff on.

Daryl Crowley
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1