New short bit for fun

Author
the_user_formally_known_as_glennbo
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 317
2018/10/20 21:30:49 (permalink)

New short bit for fun

This was kind of a challenge to myself to see what I could do using nothing but REAPER for Linux and it's native plugins. I heard the same old argument about how producing music without your favorite plugins just isn't possible. That motivated me to write and play a bit of music using nothing but basic stock plugins, just to see just how much it would cramp my style or limit my creativity.

I'm playing two guitars, bass, and drums. All real instruments, and no third party plugins.

It's titled "Nothing But REAPER" at:

https://www.soundclick.com/html5/v4/player.cfm?songID=13798738

post edited by the_user_formally_known_as_glennbo - 2018/10/27 21:06:29

Glennbo
---------------------------------------------------------
http://soundclick.com/glennbo

16 Replies Related Threads

MarkusClinus
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 710
    Re: New short bit for fun 2018/10/20 21:57:26 (permalink)
    It sounds like you had a lot of fun doing this one - it turned out good - two thumbs up Glenn.

Mark
    (formerly CLEAN)
    THE PUGTONES

bjornpdx
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 759
    Re: New short bit for fun 2018/10/21 01:56:13 (permalink)
    Glennbo
    Sounds really good to me. One of these days I'll have to look into Reaper for Linux. Not sure about using Reaper native plugins (tried 'em, kinda clunky) but probably nothing else available in Linux.  

Bjorn
    soundcloud.com/orygun
    www.bjornfredrickson.com
    https://store.cdbaby.com/Artist/BjornFredrickson

Purrfect Audio Pro Studio, RME UCX
    Cakewalk by Bandlab,  Studio One,  Reaper
    Re: New short bit for fun 2018/10/21 03:13:10 (permalink)
    MarkusClinus
    It sounds like you had a lot of fun doing this one - it turned out good - two thumbs up Glenn.

Thanks Marcus! It was actually a blast, and I learned a lot especially about mic'ing my acoustic drum kit. Forcing myself to a limited set of plugins made me have to work a little bit harder on getting the sound right off the bat.

Glennbo

Re: New short bit for fun 2018/10/21 03:20:27 (permalink)
    bjornpdx
    Glennbo
    Sounds really good to me. One of these days I'll have to look into Reaper for Linux. Not sure about using Reaper native plugins (tried 'em, kinda clunky) but probably nothing else available in Linux.  

Thanks Bjorn. You can actually run Windows plugins in WINE and there are several bridges that make them show up as native Linux VST/VSTi plugins. I already have Kontakt, EZ-Drummer, PSP Vintage Warmer, Lexicon reverb, and other Windows plugins working, and at as low of latency as I get running them in Windows.

A naysayer posted that Linux was not a viable platform because of the limited plugins available, so rather than use my Windows plugins, that put me on a quest to see for myself just how dependent I was on all my Windows plugins.

Turns out, I could still record my music if none of them were available, but like I said using WINE and a bridge like LinVST, they are available. Only the most heavily copy protected (like iLok/PACE for instance) plugins won't work in WINE.

Glennbo

Jesse Screed
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1158
    Re: New short bit for fun 2018/10/21 14:34:29 (permalink)
    great work on the drums

the whole mix is maybe a little bit toppy for me, but that might just be my headphones

you are obviously talented if you can play all those instruments

it sounds like it was recorded in studio one though

all kidding aside, the part at :58 is a nice change, and the song never gets boring

wish I could play drums like that
    kennywtelejazz
    Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7151
    Re: New short bit for fun 2018/10/21 16:54:31 (permalink)
    Hi Glennbo

Damn Bro I like the way you play drums
    This is the first time I have ever heard a tune done using Reaper in Linux . It seems encouraging .
    As far as the tune went it was catchy and good .

all the best

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
    The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
    I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
    The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

Re: New short bit for fun 2018/10/21 17:55:16 (permalink)
    Thanks Jesse and Kenny.  My drumkit is a real small Ludwig Breakbeats kit designed by Questlove.  Originally I used Superior Drummer with a set of V-Drums, but when I quit playing live a few years ago I decided to sell my live kit and get something small enough to fit in the studio, just to jam on, but then one day I tried recording them and was so impressed with the results that I went out and bought some dedicated drum mics to leave setup and ready to go.  I'm now looking at the old V-Drums kit thinking, "I really don't need those any more", and will one day get motivated and turn them into some cash to buy something else.

I've posted the pic here before, so I'll just include a link, but this is the drums that were used on this project.

https://www.soundclick.com/members4/default.cfm?memberID=45205&content=photos

Glennbo

daryl1968
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10984
    Re: New short bit for fun 2018/10/22 17:03:37 (permalink)
    sounds nice Glennbo
    I would also like to compliment you the percussion - very nice.
    Freddy J
    Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2348
    Re: New short bit for fun 2018/10/23 00:22:22 (permalink)
    What a fun song Glenn!  You did a good job playing all instruments but your drumming sounded great!!! Nice one!!
    Wayfarer
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 831
    Re: New short bit for fun 2018/10/23 03:32:01 (permalink)
    Plug-ins? What are those?  I seldom use them. I have been more lately however. But I've yet to hear a plug-in that sounded as good as even my cheapest outboard effects. I've heard all the arguments about how they should be the same etc., but the outboard stuff just sounds better to me.

Dig the tune---especially the drums! They're a little overpowering though in my opinion. I would take some of the top off the guitars and boost the volume on them quite a bit. Then it'll be awesome!

Bill
    Re: New short bit for fun 2018/10/23 04:41:43 (permalink)
    daryl1968
    sounds nice Glennbo
    I would also like to compliment you the percussion - very nice.

Thanks Daryl!  I had a lot of fun playing this one.  :)

Glennbo

Re: New short bit for fun 2018/10/23 04:43:24 (permalink)
    Freddy J
    What a fun song Glenn!  You did a good job playing all instruments but your drumming sounded great!!! Nice one!!

Thanks Freddy. Drums is my main axe, and really the only instrument I could go out and play a gig with.

Hehe, unless the band is only going to be playing my songs.  ;)

Glennbo

Re: New short bit for fun 2018/10/23 04:52:20 (permalink)
    Wayfarer
    Plug-ins? What are those?  I seldom use them. I have been more lately however. But I've yet to hear a plug-in that sounded as good as even my cheapest outboard effects. I've heard all the arguments about how they should be the same etc., but the outboard stuff just sounds better to me.

The virtualization factor that makes them impervious to RF and other noise is enough for me to to be a member. That and the fact that when I owned a real hardware based DBX160 I could only use on one thing at a time, where my Waves plugin version which has DBX's official seal of approval, can be placed on every track if I want to do it, and it costs me no more than only using it on only one track. Four DBX160s for my four drum tracks would be expensive and consume far too much space for me. Having owned the real deal and using it on acoustic drums, I'm real familiar with what one should do, and the Waves version is pretty true. They even recorded the background noise from a real one and give you a level control for it if you really want to be authentic.  ;)

Dig the tune---especially the drums! They're a little overpowering though in my opinion. I would take some of the top off the guitars and boost the volume on them quite a bit. Then it'll be awesome!

Thanks Bill!  I just put a remix up with a bit of the shrill edge taken off the guitars, and a little less drums in the mix.

Glennbo

Wayfarer
    Re: New short bit for fun 2018/10/23 05:07:50 (permalink)
    I have a 160 and love it to death. Best comp there is on vocals. Unfortunately mine has a bad ground and is picking up truckers and police radios, so I haven't been able to use it for a long time. The thing about compressors though is that they just work so much better on channel inserts than trying to apply them after the tracks are already recorded. I think that's the complaint most people have about compression plug-ins. But you seem to make them work for you, and that's all that matters.

I have a cheap old 16-bit Alesis Microverb that in my opinion sounds better than any 24-bit reverb plug-in I've ever come across. But I've mostly been recording solo acoustic guitar the past few years and find plug-in reverbs a little easier, and they sound good enough. I'm really not that picky these days. Some of my favorite records are bootleg live recordings that sound horrible, but the music is great, so who cares? 

Bill
    Re: New short bit for fun 2018/10/23 05:44:19 (permalink)
    I still have one of the original Alesis MidiVerbs. The very first verb model they ever produced, and one that I used with my old 1" Ampex studio recorder, but it hasn't been hooked up for more than twenty years. I'm currently experimenting with a native Linux verb called "Dragonfly" which is based on some of the Freeverb code. I have a couple quick tests that follow this song up right now for the developer to listen to. My favorite reverbs though are convolution verbs using impulses of real spaces. Nothing like a nice medium sized room impulse on the master fader to warm up a mix and put all the tracks in the same space.

Glennbo

Wayfarer
    Re: New short bit for fun 2018/10/23 13:32:33 (permalink)
    Sounds logical. Personally, I work with presets 99% of the time and just worry about how much of an effect I want to mix in. I don't want to spend too much time adjusting parameters when I could spend that time practicing, writing, and arranging. If I was primarily a recording engineer who was recording for other people, it would be different.

Have a good one bud.

Bill
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1