New song - opinions please

Author
gonzo_dog
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 250
2007/05/12 17:18:05 (permalink)

New song - opinions please

Hi everyone, haven't been here in a while. I've getting a cover band going so I haven't done much recording until recently. This is what I came up with . It's mostly finished but not quite. I'm still going to add backing voc and double, maybe a bit heavier guitar here and there. I like the vibe. I produced the track and wrote the music. My buddy Danny wrote and sang the lyrics.

http://home.comcast.net/~gonzo_dog/I_Want_More.mp3

Anyway, thanks for the listen.

19 Replies Related Threads

lhansen
    Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4765
    RE: New song - opinions please 2007/05/12 18:06:38 (permalink)
    gonzo,
    Nice song. It does has good vibe. Like the way the organ came in. Good luck with the band thing.

Slow Marching Band

Win 7 x64, Sonar X1E x64, Studio One v2, Focusrite Saffire 24 DSP Pro, Genelec 8030a, True Systems P-Solo, Focusrite ISA One, FMR RNP, GAP-73. 

"Someone to watch over me".
    Maxprizm
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 824
    RE: New song - opinions please 2007/05/12 18:22:06 (permalink)
    Like the tune alot. The vocals are sounding pretty weak to me though. (just to be honest) I dug the heavier style the song went into later on, sounded like the bass guitar dropped out near the end? My first intitial reaction was that the song should have been done like the end all the way through. Good news, the recording and mixing sounded really great to me. I would get the singer to redo it if possible, he doesnt have a bad tone he just needs to open up more. Sounds like he's straining to not let the voice out when usually it's the opposite. Dont mean to be harsh as you definitely have the recording chops, it's just I thought the performance wasn't really up to the recording/mixing level.

Ed Edge

CLEAN
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2842
    RE: New song - opinions please 2007/05/12 19:23:26 (permalink)
    I like this tune.

Mark
    DuRod
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1082
    RE: New song - opinions please 2007/05/12 23:25:23 (permalink)
    gonzo_dog, fantastic piece of work, very very nice. I do agree that the vocals need a lot of work, sound very uptight and uncomfortable. And here's my opinion on the music......for what it's worth. Take the ending, where you came in with the organ, and bring that whole part up to about 1:30 or something like that and build up to a crescendo; then go back into that nice slow beat you have at the beginning and go into a last verse. Think about it. Again, an excellent tune, instrumentals and mix!! Press ON!
    gonzo_dog
    RE: New song - opinions please 2007/05/13 00:51:40 (permalink)
    Everyone, thanks for the listen and thoughts on the project.

Maxprizm and DuRod, I too like the ending but have been unable to resolve how to incorporate that into the song more without messing with the vibe of the song. It's kinda funny because when I first envisioned this song in my head I imagined it to be more of a rock song. I laid down the accoustics first to a click track then added some drums by playing my drum machine with my fingers and I came out with the really laid back vibe. Concerning the vocs I asked Danny to sing them kinda breathy and sultry. The vocals, or lack of them is what I need to bring him back for. We ran out'a time and he laid down one track then we had to go our ways. I'll clean them up when I get him back.

Here is the very 1st time I put this track down. While I was working out the riff I was also working out how to switch from a clean to dirty sound using my Mesa Boogie F50. Beause I was trying to figure both out at the same time the recording was very sloppy however I wanted to record it because I usually come back the next day and try to recreate what I did and I usually forget what I have done. I have since bought a Boss BR 600 to use as a musical scratch pad and I love it.

Here is a link to the original time I played the riff.

http://home.comcast.net/~gonzo_dog/Idea_for_a_song.mp3

Again, thanks for the kind words.

RobertB
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11256
    RE: New song - opinions please 2007/05/13 01:01:42 (permalink)
    Like the mix. I have to agree on the vocals.
    I like DuRods idea. I think swapping those bits around some might give it some tension and make us "feel" that you want more.
    Keep going, you've got something here.

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    Maxprizm
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 824
    RE: New song - opinions please 2007/05/13 01:14:25 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: gonzo_dog

Everyone, thanks for the listen and thoughts on the project.

Maxprizm and DuRod, I too like the ending but have been unable to resolve how to incorporate that into the song more without messing with the vibe of the song. It's kinda funny because when I first envisioned this song in my head I imagined it to be more of a rock song. I laid down the accoustics first to a click track then added some drums by playing my drum machine with my fingers and I came out with the really laid back vibe. Concerning the vocs I asked Danny to sing them kinda breathy and sultry. The vocals, or lack of them is what I need to bring him back for. We ran out'a time and he laid down one track then we had to go our ways. I'll clean them up when I get him back.

Here is the very 1st time I put this track down. While I was working out the riff I was also working out how to switch from a clean to dirty sound using my Mesa Boogie F50. Beause I was trying to figure both out at the same time the recording was very sloppy however I wanted to record it because I usually come back the next day and try to recreate what I did and I usually forget what I have done. I have since bought a Boss BR 600 to use as a musical scratch pad and I love it.

Here is a link to the original time I played the riff.

http://home.comcast.net/~gonzo_dog/Idea_for_a_song.mp3

Again, thanks for the kind words.

This sounds like a much better way to do the song to me. How do you like the F50? I have actually been saving up for one. I have been using a pod xt for a few months and while it sounded good to me at first, after playing through a couple tube amps recently I have come to loathe the guitar "sim" type programs.

Also Durod has a very good suggestion, I think it would pull this song together alot more.
    post edited by Maxprizm - 2007/05/13 03:01:26

Ed Edge

gonzo_dog
    RE: New song - opinions please 2007/05/13 01:26:03 (permalink)
    I love the tone but the master volume knob is very touchy and the amp as a whole is incredibly loud. I wish I would have got the F30. I don't think I've ever had the master vol past 9 oclock which is aournd 2 or 3 on a scale from 1 - 10. Because I've never got the power tubes really humming I feel that I haven't fully got the tone out of it that I should. I'm looking into getting a Hot Plate power attenuator to resolve this issue but they are a bit pricey. All of the guitars in this track except for the acoustics were done through my F50 and mic'ed with a 57.

I've often thought of doing 2 versions of this song....
    ed_mcg
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2741
    RE: New song - opinions please 2007/05/13 10:05:49 (permalink)
    Yeah, John, song has potential. First thing, loose the sitar like sound. I like the idea of starting in acoustic then stepping into an electric guitar on the chorus; not sure you need to go all the way to the Mesa overdrive like you have on the earlier demo. I'd suggest the ending vamp (organ, and on) be previewed as a middle 8 earlier, then the ending will seem more integrated. The singer has potential, his tone is interesting, just tell him to lean into the vocals a lot harder.
    opaque slogan
    Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1787
    RE: New song - opinions please 2007/05/13 15:26:52 (permalink)
    Hey G.D. long time no see. Nice track and i really liked some of the subtle synth stuff, wasn't too keen on that organ sound though and the sitar, very nicely produced indeed.
    Great vibe, recording and mix, this'll be cool once you've addressed the issues.

EDIT. I've taken out what i said about the singer because when i read it back it seemed a bit harsh. The guy obviously has the ability to put in a great vocal, he's just not comfortable and far too self conscious of the the approach he's taking...just got to make it more his own.
    post edited by opaque slogan - 2007/05/14 08:13:11

Mario kart SC, Nintendo Gameboy advance SP, Screen magnifier.

www.myspace.com/opaqueslogan (pre-sonar, raw and nasty)
    zeypxun
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 918
    RE: New song - opinions please 2007/05/14 05:02:24 (permalink)
    Hey gonzo, I liked it. Pretty cool laid back feel. I also liked the sitar and the organ parts a lot, real diverse and fresh. I think everyone may be a little too hard on the singer, I think he may just be the wrong style for this song, but he may get better, to me he sounds like he doesn't know the song well enough yet to feel it out.

www.reverbnation.com/zeypxuntomlittle

Look me up on myspace!
    www.myspace.com/zeypxun

I'm so happy Faith No More is BACK!
    airmeki
    Max Output Level: -59.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1598
    RE: New song - opinions please 2007/05/14 22:57:26 (permalink)
    Gonzo, this was a very enjoyable song! I like the church organ break leading into the heavier part of the song. Part two was no doubt my favorite - I'm with Ed's initial thought: Why not record the whole song in this style? Good job!
    Heinz.

gonzo_dog
    RE: New song - opinions please 2007/05/14 23:29:06 (permalink)
    Hi Everyone, thank you for the thoughtful remarks and suggestions. Danny, my singer, is coming back in on Wednesday and we'll re-do the vocs. Someone mentioned that he sounded hesitant and that he wasn't familiar with the song. It's funny because we were litterally laying down the vocals line by line as we created them. Whoever noticed that those are some good ears. Also I was the one who asked him to sing breathy. I'm thinking of bring a female singer in to sing in unison or a duet. We'll see how that goes.

I'm not prepaired to re-do the track like I did in my original demo as some had suggested, yet.... But I do feel the track was a little repetative so I added some sonic filler here and there to break it up. Someone mentioned to bring in the organ theme from the end to the middle of the song but it really wasn't flowing so I brought in the power chord instead. Also added some echo guitars. The changes don't really start until the second verse.

Here is a link to the new version. http://home.comcast.net/~gonzo_dog/I_Want_More_2.mp3

Again, everyone thanks for the listen. I promise not to post another version of this until the track is complete.

Thanks again,
    j.g.
    Paul Russell
    Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3892
    RE: New song - opinions please 2007/05/15 01:10:01 (permalink)
    Sounds to me like you need a good sub. The bass is rumbling down there in some kind of incoherent fashion and the kick drum is also overloaded on the sub 50Hz frequencies. The dynamics of the rhythm section have been flattened by some over zealous compression with no attack and the drum kit has too much >8K. It's as if you've put the entire rhythm section through a smiley face graphic EQ. All that top on the drums is making the voice sound like it doesn't belong in the same aural space.

Paul Russell 
    Calamity Studio and on Facebook

gonzo_dog
    RE: New song - opinions please 2007/05/15 01:29:58 (permalink)
    No eq used whatsoever but some some multiband compression
    Paul Russell
    RE: New song - opinions please 2007/05/15 01:40:43 (permalink)
    No eq used whatsoever but some some multiband compression

Multiband Compression shouldn't be used as a substitute for EQ.

Paul Russell 

gonzo_dog
    RE: New song - opinions please 2007/05/15 01:49:12 (permalink)
    Again, there is no eq applied and the gains on the compression bands were relatively flat. I was there when it happened....
    Paul Russell
    RE: New song - opinions please 2007/05/15 04:14:24 (permalink)
    Again, there is no eq applied and the gains on the compression bands were relatively flat. I was there when it happened....
    ok, then it sounds perfect.

Paul Russell 

gonzo_dog
    RE: New song - opinions please 2007/05/15 10:04:39 (permalink)
    ok, then it sounds perfect.

Sorry, had a bad night last night, fighting some kinda bug. I came into work today and played the song on a system with a subwoofer and I hear it now... ' didn't hear it on my system or my car last now but there it is now.

j.g.
    post edited by gonzo_dog - 2007/05/15 11:28:29
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1