New song, psychedelic synthy dubby space romp

Author
crx091081gb
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 93
2012/06/05 21:41:02 (permalink)

New song, psychedelic synthy dubby space romp

http://soundcloud.com/crx091081gb/murphys-song-lap-acid

New song, made with samples of my cat for a bit of a laugh. Have a few tunes I want to mix down and made this one to practice on but ended up being reasonably happy with it. It's my attempt at cute. I used a lot of heavy bus compression to make the ride cymbals pump. Really loving the pro-channel and the 'sound' of X1. Really easy to add grit.

8 Replies Related Threads

foxwolfen
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8256
    Re:New song, psychedelic synthy dubby space romp 2012/06/06 10:06:46 (permalink)
    Trippy indeed. Sort of a Mark Mothersbaugh's "Life Aquatic" sound to it.

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    evadianepug
    Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4477
    Re:New song, psychedelic synthy dubby space romp 2012/06/06 10:18:46 (permalink)
    You know, Blipp and Foxwolfen do this type of music and the thingys they throw in keep it moving.  I don't listen to this genre unless someone up here posts it.  The problem that I've stated before on a lot of the electronica posts is that it seems redundant a lot of times.  I was told and do understand that when you are on a dancefloor it all seems different.  I think that it sounds really good, just not enough differentiation in parts for my taste.  I hope that makes sense.  I don't have a clue what a cat is except the thing I have to clean up after every day!!  LOL.  You did a nice job here crx.

Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed. (GK Chesterton

Warren (Pug) Willingham
    THE PUGTONES
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=919339&content=music
    SonarX3
    Lynn
    Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6117
    Re:New song, psychedelic synthy dubby space romp 2012/06/06 11:31:36 (permalink)
    At first, I was about to be dismissive of this for many of the reasons that Warren pointed out, but I realized that I listen to similar music each time I listen to the latest Radiohead.  I'm learning that one has to regard this genre as a meditation technique.  I don't know how this would stack up on the dance floor, but it stacked up in my head.  I'll listen to this again, which is the best review I can give this.

All the best,
    Lynn

my songs
    www.soundclick.com/lynnwilson

www.youtube.com/lywilson
    my videos

Cakewalk by Bandlab| Sonar Platinum @ 64bits| i7 860 | 8 gigs ram | W10 @ 64 bits | RME FF 400
    foxwolfen
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8256
    Re:New song, psychedelic synthy dubby space romp 2012/06/06 14:42:19 (permalink)
    You guys are not wrong. A lot of electronica is indeed repetitive, including my own. I would have critiqued this as not being "complete", were it not for CRX stating it was mostly for fun and experiments. It is a good start at a track, but certainly needs more in the way of texture and musicality IMO.

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    Wookiee
    Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
    • Total Posts : 13306
    Re:New song, psychedelic synthy dubby space romp 2012/06/06 15:32:55 (permalink)
    Slightly to gritty (Read square wave) for me.

Thanks for sharing..

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
    Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
    Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
    Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
    CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
    crx091081gb
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 93
    Re:New song, psychedelic synthy dubby space romp 2012/06/09 16:47:11 (permalink)
    Cheers for the feedback.
    I would have critiqued this as not being "complete"
    foxwolfen

Yeah I agree it's not really musically complete. It needs a better chord progression on the organ part and another 303 pattern. I made it as a way of testing a new workflow and to test mixing/polishing a track before I worked on a track I really cared about. I think in retrospect I should have completely finished all the drum programming before trying to layer parts.

Problem is after working on it a bit I kind of feel like I should see it through and finish it properly but I've spent a month on it and I'm completely bloody sick of it / lost all sense of objectivity. 

Slightly to gritty (Read square wave) for me.
    Wookiee

I'll probably have another bash at mixing it a bit better (though I like the square waveness - I'm kind of going for a garage indieband take on electronica) before I try better chords and melody.

I don't know how this would stack up on the dance floor, but it stacked up in my head.
    Lynn

Yeah it's more of a 'head' music piece than a dancefloor thing definitely. I try to do dancefloor stuff as well but I've got a sideline in music you'd ideally listen to walking around places on headphones or maybe on a train, that's where I do a lot of my most enjoyable listening.

I don't have a clue what a cat is except the thing I have to clean up after every day!!

evadianepug

It was just a 'cat' cat - felix silvestris , I sampled him meowing and purring and mixed it in at the beginning and end, all the synth programming was done with him asleep on my lap so it became kind of an ode to my cat. He didn't think much of it, just after I uploaded it he vomited all over the carpet, I think that sends a strong message in any language!

Like I said cheers for the feedback.

evadianepug
    Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4477
    Re:New song, psychedelic synthy dubby space romp 2012/06/09 20:59:13 (permalink)
    Felix Silvestri....That's funny.  It is a good cat mix.  :-)
    post edited by evadianepug - 2012/06/09 21:00:28

Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed. (GK Chesterton

Warren (Pug) Willingham
    THE PUGTONES
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=919339&content=music
    SonarX3
    BenMMusTech
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2606
    Re:New song, psychedelic synthy dubby space romp 2012/06/09 21:31:14 (permalink)
    Ok I like the synths sounds, but there is way too much bottom end.  That kick is just way to over powering.  The rest of the mix is nice though.

It's hard to judge the composition, I dabble a little in Electronica and whilst I like more movement or song progression I understand that Electronica on a dance floor needs to be somewhat repetitive.

I was told the formula is 16 bars, and keep layering it that way,  between 32 bars and 64 bars drop the whole track down to a couple of key sounds again 16 bars then drop the bomb, as they say.

But nice work.

Peace Ben

Benjamin Phillips-Bachelor of Creative Technology (Sound and Audio Production), (Hons) Sonic Arts, MMusTech (Master of Music Technology), M.Phil (Fine Art)
    http://1331.space/
    https://thedigitalartist.bandcamp.com/
    http://soundcloud.com/aaudiomystiks
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1