New song "My Love"

Author
groveendroad
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 809
2011/02/10 12:28:06 (permalink)

New song "My Love"

I've writen a few songs with my wife in mind, and "My Love" is another one. I'm looking to give this to her for valentines day. She had not heard 'My love" yet.

Cheers, Terry

http://www.reverbnation.com/play_now/song_7198265

2nd try http://www.reverbnation.com/play_now/song_7203573

post edited by groveendroad - 2011/02/10 17:46:01

10 Replies Related Threads

Purple Rhapsody
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 469
    Re:New song "My Love" 2011/02/10 13:13:55 (permalink)
    Hi Terry,

Wow... someone else called 'Terry', I know it's not an uncommon name but still... ;)

Anyway, 'My Love' sounds like a very heartfelt song and I'm sure your wife will love it.

I hope you don't mind me commenting on a few technical aspects... but remember that I'm not a professional and all my thoughts will probably be contradicted by other people on here too :)

The mix sounds quite rough and could do with some thought to the 'space' each instrument takes in the mix. To my ears there are quite a lot of sounds sharing the same frequency space and getting in each other's way - but I'm rubbish at EQ myself so can't advise on what to do.

The only other thing I can put my finger on is that your voice sounds very 'dry'. I can't tell if you've put any reverb on it but that might be what's missing? In places it could possibly come up in the mix too (or the keyboard playing the same notes should be reduced?).

Will you let us know how your wife reacts...? If I sang for my wife on Valentine's Day (even through pre-recorded MP3) I think she'd run out of the room crying... or collapse in a fit of hysterics. I can't sing for toffee though...

Cheers,
    Terry.

Purple Rhapsody - emotions without words http://purplerhapsody.co.uk/
    rockinrobby
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1265
    Re:New song "My Love" 2011/02/10 15:16:41 (permalink)
    I like the atmospherics in the beginning. That synthy thing on the chorus seems a bit too present to me? And I would like to hear the words/vocals a little better. And I am a professional? I'm not going to say at what, but trust me.

Just hit another chorus, and I'm not liking that synthy thing much at all :-( Something about the tone of it? Oh wow, is that a guitar? 
    post edited by rockinrobby - 2011/02/10 15:17:47

http://www.reverbnation.com/rockinrobby

Evil lurks here among us again... "Beware."
    radio
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2782
    Re:New song "My Love" 2011/02/10 15:29:47 (permalink)

Hey Terry I'm sure you will melt her heart over this tune of yours.
    I have to agree the mix was somewhat too loud and one of your synth tracks seems to be alittle over the top .

I like the song and the way you sing it , great job there but you might put your song back under the scope and remix it .

Nice love song , give her some nice flowers too .

Radio

groveendroad
    Re:New song "My Love" 2011/02/10 17:50:25 (permalink)
    Purple Rhapsody

Hi Terry,

Wow... someone else called 'Terry', I know it's not an uncommon name but still... ;)

Anyway, 'My Love' sounds like a very heartfelt song and I'm sure your wife will love it.

I hope you don't mind me commenting on a few technical aspects... but remember that I'm not a professional and all my thoughts will probably be contradicted by other people on here too :)

The mix sounds quite rough and could do with some thought to the 'space' each instrument takes in the mix. To my ears there are quite a lot of sounds sharing the same frequency space and getting in each other's way - but I'm rubbish at EQ myself so can't advise on what to do.

The only other thing I can put my finger on is that your voice sounds very 'dry'. I can't tell if you've put any reverb on it but that might be what's missing? In places it could possibly come up in the mix too (or the keyboard playing the same notes should be reduced?).

Will you let us know how your wife reacts...? If I sang for my wife on Valentine's Day (even through pre-recorded MP3) I think she'd run out of the room crying... or collapse in a fit of hysterics. I can't sing for toffee though...

Cheers,
    Terry.
    Thanks for your input!!

I gave every thing you spoke of a go, and  re-completed the mix down.

Here's the new one - http://www.reverbnation.com/play_now/song_7203573
    johnnyV
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2677
    Re:New song "My Love" 2011/02/10 18:35:12 (permalink)
    Well I listened to it then I agreed with the above suggestions and I clicked the new link and I guess its now that same version.
    The strings are the most dominant item in the mix, That makes it a little cheesy as we tend to not get excited about strings in a mix. Might try a different sounding fat analog synth instead.
    You have a good voice, You need to get it out front. You wife will want to hear you.

I did a similar thing for my wifes birthday once. It was a song I wrote and recorded in less than an hour, just bass and guitar to a soft brush snare.

So the next morning , her birthday before she left for work,  I snuck out to her car and put the CD in the stereo set to play.
    It worked! Try that for monday morning,

post edited by johnnyV - 2011/02/10 19:50:07

Sonar X3e Studio - Waiting for Professional
     Scarlett 6i6
    Yamaha Gear= 01v - NSM 10 - DTX 400 - MG82cx
    Roland Gear= A 49- GR 50 - TR 505 - Boss pedals
    Tascam Gear=  DR 40 - US1641 -
    Mackie Gear= Mix 8 - SRM 350's 
    i5 Z97 3.2GHZ quad 16 Gig RAM W 8.1  home build
    Taylor mini GS - G& L Tribute Tele - 72 Fender Princeton - TC BH 250 - Mooer and Outlaw Pedals  Korg 05/RW

DJSur
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 326
    Re:New song "My Love" 2011/02/10 20:19:24 (permalink)

Great instrumentation and arrangement. 
    The only thing that wasn't sitting right is the vocal. The pitch is all over the place. The vocal tone is quite appealing to me.

Thanks,
    -D

soundcloud   acidplanet   myspace

on-line fo-rum (n) - data warehouse that provides little to no ROI 
    groveendroad
    Re:New song "My Love" 2011/02/11 11:12:45 (permalink)
    DJSur

The only thing that wasn't sitting right is the vocal. The pitch is all over the place. The vocal tone is quite appealing to me.

Thanks,
    -D

Try number 3

http://www.reverbnation.com/play_now/song_7203573
    darylcrowley
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2700
    Re:New song "My Love" 2011/02/11 23:14:46 (permalink)
    It sounds to me like your trying to bend your sound, which always has the great 60s vibe, into something early 70s, somewhat speaking, I think this would be better as more of combo sound than a big studio production.  I do hear some flat notes, which is certainly not representative of  your typically good vocals.

Nice melody and sentiment.  I find my wife a great inspriation when I write one of my rare love songs, I generally try to avoid love song lyrics, but sometimes there are things you need to say.

Daryl

Daryl Crowley
    Sonica Labs I7 Quad Core -
    Windows 7 64bit Professional
    Sonar 8.5 Producer - Ozone 4
    http://www.darylcrowley.com/
    groveendroad
    Re:New song "My Love" 2011/02/12 09:37:47 (permalink)
    darylcrowley

It sounds to me like your trying to bend your sound, which always has the great 60s vibe, into something early 70s, somewhat speaking, I think this would be better as more of combo sound than a big studio production.  I do hear some flat notes, which is certainly not representative of  your typically good vocals.

Nice melody and sentiment.  I find my wife a great inspriation when I write one of my rare love songs, I generally try to avoid love song lyrics, but sometimes there are things you need to say.

Daryl

thanks Daryl, this is the only song i ever did in Bb. Please let me know where you hear those flat notes.
    DJSur
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 326
    Re:New song "My Love" 2011/02/12 13:16:39 (permalink)
    groveendroad

DJSur

Thanks,
    -D

Try number 3

http://www.reverbnation.com/play_now/song_7203573

This take is better, but I'm still hearing flat spots here and there. 
    On another note, I think it's cool how open you are to constructive comments. 
    I think you're cool man!

Thanks,
    -D

soundcloud   acidplanet   myspace

on-line fo-rum (n) - data warehouse that provides little to no ROI 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1