New songs from a newbie!

Author
The Big D
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 152
2008/09/05 17:46:34 (permalink)

New songs from a newbie!

Hi all,
So after spending a boat-load of money on our second CD and not being 100% happy with the final results (we ran out of cash at the end and he slapped it together for us as a favor to help us out), we've decided to DIY this time around. I've got to learn all I can about recording, mixing and mastering. Gee... some awesome new recording skills to go along with my ninja skills... cool!

So here's a link to our first 'scratch' trials. We're just trying to get an idea of whether we should really try this... and I think we will.

Give a listen... one song has no leads yet and one has a scratch vocal, but you get the idea.

Since we'll probably re-record these anyway, I just figured I'd post them to get some opinions. What I've heard from my friends so far is "Don't quit your day job." and "Ummm, can you fit all your gear in the toilet and flush... right now."... ahh... my friends....

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=869303&content=music

The Big D

SHS6XL, GTP3, 2.66Ghz P4, HD:80Gb/500ex, XP Home(SP3), Presonus Firepod, Line 6 Guitar Port, Behringer 2030A Monitors.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=911331
www.thisisthis.net

19 Replies Related Threads

spacey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8769
    RE: New songs from a newbie! 2008/09/05 20:35:12 (permalink)
    Well I liked both cuts Big D.

For "scratch" trials I think you guys have a great thing going.
    I didn't have any trouble picking a part out to listen to so it was easy to listen and enjoy.

I think when you get the sound where you want it, it's going to be good, real good. Sounds like all the tools and talent are at hand.

Thanks for the listens and welcome to a great place.

Michael
    Mamabear
    • Total Posts : 8954
    RE: New songs from a newbie! 2008/09/05 21:04:34 (permalink)
    Great job IMO for scratch songs! You've got talent and great song-writing skills.
    rolifer@verizon.net
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1676
    RE: New songs from a newbie! 2008/09/05 22:50:52 (permalink)
    D

Welcome to the forum.

My "friends" hear my music and say "I didn't hear anything wrong with it".

Who needs enemies?

Not my kind of music, but the mix sounds good to me.

Ron
    DarinBad
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 461
    RE: New songs from a newbie! 2008/09/06 06:26:01 (permalink)
    You are obviously joking about your friends (or maybe you need new friends?) because this is some really good stuff. Very tight playing and a great sounding band. It's so hard to record live drums, and the drums sound great! Everything seems well recorded. Love the slide guitar work in "She's All Summer". If these are scratch recordings, then I'm really looking forward to hearing what you guys can do when you get to the real thing. Newbie? Ya.... right... It's really good Big D.

AsRock Z77 Extreme4
    CPU INTEL CORE I7 3770K
    32 GB RAM
    RME Fireface 800
    Windows 10 Pro x64
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: New songs from a newbie! 2008/09/06 10:53:18 (permalink)
    Hey, D! Welcome to the forum. you've got some really good work here already. I listened to Carol Use to Be, really good sound you've got.

really nice bass sound there. how did you record the drums? My only crits on this are that everything sounds too centered (except the drums, which seem just a tad hotter in the left channel), I'd widen the stereo field some on this. 2nd, everything sounds pretty dry, you might want to add some verb.

Overall, I think you need better friends! Maybe you should tell them that they need to quit their amature Simon Cowell impressions!

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    The Big D
    RE: New songs from a newbie! 2008/09/06 12:26:40 (permalink)
    Thanks Michael, Janet, Ron, DarinBad and Beagle. Appreciate the kind words.

I must say I was joking about the friends comment. They're all players, have good ears and are brutally honest. And the brutality keeps us all on track... no swelled heads around here!

Drums are done in my basement, no soundproofing or acoustic treatments worth mentioning. We set the kit up next to the stairwell for a little natural verb. Overheads on Carol were XY pattern on the overheads (SM81s), SM57 on a piccolo snare (top) and CAD mics on the rest. The other song, She's all Summer had the 'recorderman' setup on the overheads. I'm not sure which one I liked better. I went 100% pan on the overheads. Then I mixed them, copied the track and compressed the hell out of one of them, laid it in the background a bit and it really fattened them up.

As for the mix spread. I'm fighting/resisting the modern mixing trend of one guitar 100% left, one guitar 100% right. I absolutely hate that sound. Loathe it. I get apoplectic. Did I say I didn't like it yet? :o) Especially when the main rhythmn is only in my left ear for the whole song. Arrrgh. That's why I am trying to keep the main guitars at about 50-65% L/R. If there's another guitar riff or a background/secondary part, I going to try to put it at 80% L/R. And you can take that as the ramblings of a madman, for what it's worth!!

Yup, probably could be a little wetter. I'll dip it in the pool a little longer next time!! :o)

The Big D

SHS6XL, GTP3, 2.66Ghz P4, HD:80Gb/500ex, XP Home(SP3), Presonus Firepod, Line 6 Guitar Port, Behringer 2030A Monitors.

www.thisisthis.net
    Randy P
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3070
    RE: New songs from a newbie! 2008/09/06 12:39:32 (permalink)
    I heard some of your stuff earlier in another forum, and glad you I steered you over here. Your already getting some good advice, and recognition for your songs. I look forward to hearing these progress into the final mix. Good songwriting and musicianship always have a place the world.

Randy

http://www.soundclick.com/riprorenband

The music biz is a cruel and shallow money trench,a plastic hallway where thieves & pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. Hunter S. Thompson
    robby
    Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5819
    RE: New songs from a newbie! 2008/09/06 12:39:39 (permalink)
    Yeah, I'm diggin this. I like this style of music, and and the performances are excellent and I like the mix.

==================
    It is better to travel well than to arrive.

www.reverbnation.com/rockinrobby
    lhansen
    Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4765
    RE: New songs from a newbie! 2008/09/06 14:36:22 (permalink)
    This is really quite good Mr. D. Nothing to be ashamed of here. Good mixes and catchy songs. Mixing and recording one's own material is pretty much a necessity, unless like Randy, you have your own Brink's truck following you. I can tell your a 'seasoned' player. Wish my mixes sounded like your 'scratches'.

Slow Marching Band

Win 7 x64, Sonar X1E x64, Studio One v2, Focusrite Saffire 24 DSP Pro, Genelec 8030a, True Systems P-Solo, Focusrite ISA One, FMR RNP, GAP-73. 

"Someone to watch over me".
    Taylor_514C
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1215
    RE: New songs from a newbie! 2008/09/06 14:54:57 (permalink)
    I liked your songs, and your band sounds tight. My favorite is "She's All Summer" - that's a cool tune.

Thanks for sharing.

Taylor_514CMy Music:

The Big D
    RE: New songs from a newbie! 2008/09/06 15:36:58 (permalink)
    Thanks Randy, Robby, lhansen and Taylor_514C.

Again, Randy... thanks for the gentle shove over from the GT3 forum to here. I think I landed on my feet! The guitarist and I figured that why should we spend so much time learning other people's songs when we could do an 'OK' job of it ourselves. Believe me, we don't think we're good at all, but we don't think we're bad either. So... this is what we do... or it's bowling on Wednesday night!! HA!

Thanks Robby!

lhansen... so, Randy has a Brinks truck. If I did... I'd be in a studio, sitting back while a seasoned engineer uses the "more talent" plug-in!!!!!

Thanks Douglas. She's All Summer... we got the title (sorta) from a Ray Bradbury story and it took off from there.

Last year we got to play 3 songs live on Chicago's 105.9 WCKG "The Stan and Terry Show". We were on for about 20 minutes... interview and all. For a bunch of hobbyist "hacks", I have to say that was the coolest thing ever. One of the hosts said "It's funny, you walked in here, and you're just dudes"! Of course, our response was "Yes, we are"... I think that was a great compliment. Yup, no pretense, no fanfare... we're just dudes!!! Can I tell you, I was walking on air for weeks afterwards. If playing music has ever made me feel 'absolutely stupendous"... that was it. My wife said I was unbearable!! HAHAHAHA!

The Big D

www.thisisthis.net
    drumstixkev
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2709
    RE: New songs from a newbie! 2008/09/06 18:09:13 (permalink)
    Hey BIG D, two great tunes, great structured on both songs and the band sounds tight. I have to say for scratch the mix sounds great.
    On SHE'S ALL SUMMER , the vocals to me had a Roy Orbison feel. It's nice to see another forum member from the Chicagoland area. GREAT JOB!

Later

VoxBoxStudio music made with SONAR & SONiCA AUDIO LAB computers.   Website http://drumstixkev.wix.com/voxboxstudio 

tdye
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1926
    RE: New songs from a newbie! 2008/09/06 22:07:23 (permalink)
    Big D, you've got a couple of gems here. Great songs, well performed. Mix, balance are excellent. Tech wise I noticed a little carryover synth noise right at 0:00:00 on both songs, and then on She's All Summer you've got a lot of audible amp hum.

Tom
    http://www.soundclick.com/tomdye
    http://www.ourstage.com/profile/tomdye
    http://twitter.com/tom_dye

Dell Dimension 8400 Pentium 4 w/HyperThreading 3.2GHz, 3 GB Ram, Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS (WDM)
    Sonar 8 Producer Edition, Rapture, Project5
    The Big D
    RE: New songs from a newbie! 2008/09/07 11:58:23 (permalink)
    Thanks drumstixkev! Hey, I'll take a Roy Orbison nod any day of the week! Go Cubs/Sox!!

Thanks Tom. I know... that weird artifact is showing up on everything. I wasn't too worried about it because it'll be chopped off at a later date, but it's odd. We don't even have a synth on the song. I think it's tied into the drums when I mix them down. That's on my 'to do' list of things to figure out!! Yeah, a bit of amp hum. I'm tempted to use Guitar Port to track the guitars so I have a little more control.

www.thisisthis.net
    Randy P
    • Total Posts : 3070
    RE: New songs from a newbie! 2008/09/07 21:45:18 (permalink)
    BigD, just wanted to dispel the rumor started by Mr. Hansen that I dont record and mix my stuff. If I didn't, I'm sure it would sound much better than it does. Secondly, regarding the outrageous statement by him that I have a Brinks truck following me around. Its really more of a van! Fuel prices and all, I felt it more enviromentally responsible.

Randy

http://www.soundclick.com/riprorenband

The music biz is a cruel and shallow money trench,a plastic hallway where thieves & pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. Hunter S. Thompson
    droddey
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5147
    RE: New songs from a newbie! 2008/09/07 21:58:14 (permalink)
    She's All Summer sounds quite good and is a good tune.

Dean Roddey
    Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems
    www.charmedquark.com
    OBHave
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 77
    RE: New songs from a newbie! 2008/09/08 21:12:58 (permalink)
    Hey great songs and recordings! I can definitely hear the Roy Orbison likeness someone else mentioned. I really dig What Carol Used To Be. I'd love to hear the guitar riff doubled with a lightly overdriven Vox-ish guitar in the middle section. I was waiting for the tambourine to come in during the same middle 'riff only' section but alas it never did

You've inspired me to get some of my own stuff up for constructive comment.

Cheers, Phil.
    jacktheexcynic
    • Total Posts : 3069
    RE: New songs from a newbie! 2008/09/08 21:26:04 (permalink)
    mix-wise i would concentrate on the drums. they have a pretty soft sound and they are getting covered by the mix. the hat and OH come through good but the snare and kick are in the back row... the vocals could probably come up a notch. i hear some room sound in them too, (or reverb needing a lot of help), what's your recording space like?

guitars seem ok if slightly thin. bass should be a lot more prominent given how sparse everything else is, so you may have some stuff to clean up in the lower mids on all tracks around 400hz. probably vocals mostly. you need to get the kick and bass locked together using complimentary EQ. i can hear the beater which is good but there's not much punch to the kick. in fact you may want to bring down the OH/hat in relation to the rest of the kit about 2 or even 3dB or so.

edit: sorry that was on carol used to be.

- jack the ex-cynic
    musiccontinuum
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 636
    RE: New songs from a newbie! 2008/09/09 00:42:00 (permalink)
    +1 on jack the ex-cynic's comment. Good feel for the song, just sounding thin to me.

Jon

Platinum 2016 (latest patch)
    Windows 10 - x64
    Tascam US-2x2 or Focusrite Scarlett
    DELL Inspiron 3000 (I3847-3846BK) Intel i3-4130 3.40GHz / 8GB Memory / Windows 10 64-bit
    http://www.joncoble.com
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1