New to audio recording

Author
neusch11
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10
2007/07/17 02:22:30 (permalink)

New to audio recording

Ok, I am a student at Iowa State and I am in a brand new band. We have a few songs but we want to record them and put out a few CD's to get the word out to the public... I have a new HP laptop and I was wondering what anyone thinks I should purchase for recording software. We have a limited budget but would like to get a deicent sound...doesnt have to be perfect just something other than recorded on a mic from windows. Please help!!

Thanks

18 Replies Related Threads

johneboy
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 120
    RE: New to audio recording 2007/07/17 03:14:35 (permalink)
    ive only gotten into recording on a pc in the last six months, and ive only been exposed to cakewalk home studio xl so ive nothing to compare it to. i can say that im very happy with my purchase (albiet a tad frustrated at times with the inital learning curve), and im making musical product that would cost tons more to create using a 'normal' studio set up. i wish that this technology was available when i was gigging and recording. the package comes with a great deal of bells and whistles (lots of soft-syths, effects, and plenty more very good ones out there for free with a little searching on google), and is upgradeable to higher end versions of cakewalk if you end up needing more power under the hood.

word of caution: no matter which software route you go, youll need a better than average computer. 2gb of cpu power (minimum!), a huge hard drive, a mixer or preamp, and a sound card built for recording (not a soundblaster or realtek, or anything that might come factory installed). again, this goes for any software set up you choose, so be prepared to shell out extra money if your pc isnt up to par. again, compaired to the cost of using physical equivilants, its a hell of a lot cheaper...although daunting to the wallett noone the less. also, if youre relatively new to recording in general, i would suggest researching technique (theres been a lot of great posts on this board about the subject...a good place to start is by searching out posts by a forum member named 'yep'.) and the do's and donts of processing sound properly (in addition to this sites forums, there is a site called 'kvr' that has a ton of info, and links to another ton of info).

again, as ive only used the home studion xl product, i simply cannot compare different brands of packages, but, like i said, if youre looking for a nice starter package that offers all the tools you'll need right out of the box (besides hardware) than i can reccomend home studio xl.

Gear:
    Home Studio 6 xl
    echo mia sound card
    korg k49 controller
    Ibanez acoustic
    Ovation Acoustic
    A Mouse
    Computer Specs: Pentium 4 - 3.00 ghz, RAM 895 MB, 32 bit OS, running Vista
    mgh
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8594
    RE: New to audio recording 2007/07/17 04:10:39 (permalink)
    +1 FOR HS6XL! do you wanna record live drums with your band? will it be an 'as live' performance or thru overdubs? if you want live drums you'll need a minimum of two microphones (overhead and front-of-house), and really about 4 (kick, snare, overhead, toms/cymbals), and a corresponding number of mic inputs. so you'll need a firewire device as soundcard - something like the edirol fa-66 or m-audio firewire 410 or presonus firepod or echo audiofire 8 (the list is long) then you'll need a decent mike for recording (pref. a large condensor, but you could get away with a shure sm58 which could also doulble as a drum mike). recording the other group members is a matter of taste, keys can go straight into the card, guitars you can mike (same shure mike will do) or use software amp sims, bass again the same. add into this equation plenty of cables, long headphones or a headphone amp....you can get drum mike packs which work out cheaper.
    if on the other hand you're using drum samplers things get easier, you can get away with fewer inputs.
    and if, finally, you want to record as a band in a live environment, you'll need double the number of mikes, to a point where it's prob not economically viable (unless you can borrow/blag some)
    so figure $150 for HS6, $400-600 on a soundcard/interface, $300 on mikes (at least if you need drums, more if you need live recording), $300 on cables/headphones/stands. this is for cheap stuff. you'll prob need some monitors too ($300), an external hdd ($120)
    if recording drums isn't an issue then you can get a soundcard for $170 (echo audiofire 2, emu 0404usb), spend $150 on a shure mike and cable and $50 on some headphones.
    this is before we discuss extra software instruments and fx - luckily there are plenty of free ones out there!!
    still interested??!!
    HTH
    Mark
    post edited by mgh - 2007/07/17 04:17:32

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    CJaysMusic
    • Total Posts : 30423
    RE: New to audio recording 2007/07/17 05:16:26 (permalink)
    wjhatever you buy, you will need atleast a month to learn the software and soundcard settings for optimal performance. do not rush your recording once you get your software. Learn it real good before you start or you will be re-recording it again
    cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    neusch11
    RE: New to audio recording 2007/07/17 11:07:34 (permalink)
    Thanks for the great advice everyone...so looks like home studio wins out!! Well to answer mgh, yes eventually we will record drums into the equasion, but our drummer is one of the best i have heard so he could probably mimic anything we find in a program.
    Is it completely necessary to run a mixer right away or can i just plug the guitars straight into the laptop? I know that it would produce the best sound if we had all the equipment mgh said and that will happen down the road but for starters... can we get away with plugging guitars and mics into my mic port on my laptop? We are just starting like i said earlyer so we are gonna slowly buy the extra equipment as we need it.

and YES i am still interested!!
    mgh
    RE: New to audio recording 2007/07/17 11:18:42 (permalink)
    can we get away with plugging guitars and mics into my mic port on my laptop?

no!! if you buy nothing else you need a proper soundcard!! if you're on xp you can pick up an m-audio fast track dirt cheap to use, which will do for now, but it's up to you - can you each put in $100 to buy a better card??!!! a mixer is only $70 anyway for an 8 in/2 out behringer xenyx if that's the way you want to go...

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    neusch11
    RE: New to audio recording 2007/07/17 11:39:45 (permalink)
    Like i said i have a laptop so if the sound card is external i can do it but other than that we may have a bit of a problem.
    neusch11
    RE: New to audio recording 2007/07/17 11:43:30 (permalink)
    Audiotrak MAYA EX5 External USB 5.1 Surround Sound Card is this a good card to think about?
    mgh
    RE: New to audio recording 2007/07/17 11:43:51 (permalink)
    yep ALL the recommendations i have given in both threads are external....i can read a little!!!

Roflcopter
    Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6767
    RE: New to audio recording 2007/07/17 11:45:55 (permalink)
    can i just plug the guitars straight into the laptop?

You don't wan to do that, wrong impedance.

http://psbg.emusician.com/ar/emusic_going_direct/index.htm

I'm a perfectionist, and perfect is a skinned knee.
    MandolinPicker
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 720
    RE: New to audio recording 2007/07/17 11:47:15 (permalink)
    The FastTrack is a good option at $100 (got one to play with at Target). If you are trying to keep expenses to a minimum, you can get some free software to get you started. Audacity, Kristal and Rapture are recording programs that are available for free (Rapture is shareware, at $39.00, if you decide to keep it and use it). FastTrack comes with recording software as well. I have used kristal in my sound classes at church. Each of these will get you started, but they are not high end programs. You can also find free plug-ins (like EQ, reverb etc) scattered across the net. If you can find a copy of Computer Music magazine (out of the UK) they have a complete 'studio' in every issue. Once you get an idea if this is something you want to continue to do, then you can drop some money into it. HomeStudio is a nice compromise between the 'free-bees' and the high end 'Sonar Producer' edition.

Hardware is a different issue. You should be looking at a mixer (even if not doing recording, but for the band), as well as mics, etc. Consider getting DI boxes for all your guitars and similar electronic instruments, so you get the full sound through the system. Much of the hardware can serve double duty for live shows as well as recording.

Lastly, do some reading. The web is full of sites and articles on recording (do a search for many of the fine posts on this site by YEP). Also, pick up a generic book or two on digital recording. I always recommend the book 'Guerrilla Recording - How to Get a Great Sound From Any Studio No Matter How Weird Or Cheap Your Gear Is' by Karl Coryat. This book focuses on techniques, not expensive gear. An excellent beginners book. if you decide to purchase a sequencer (like HomeStudio) pick up a book specific to the software (Scott Garigus has some great Sonar books).

Hope this helps. Good luck

The Mandolin Picker
    "Bless your hearts... and all your vital organs" - John Duffy

"Got time to breath, got time for music!"- Briscoe Darling, Jr.

Windows 8.1, Sonar Platinum (64-bit), AMD FX 6120 Six-Core, 10GB RAM
    mgh
    RE: New to audio recording 2007/07/17 11:49:53 (permalink)
    Audiotrak MAYA EX5

no, think semi pro musician's card not dvd/gamer's card. try searching the forums for some threads, look up m-audio fast track, edirol ua 1, edirol ua 4, edirol ua5, emu 0202 usb and 0404usb, line 6 ux2, echo audiofire 2 and 4 etc etc. and don't bloody well buy a sb audigy ex thinganajig...!!

neusch11
    RE: New to audio recording 2007/07/17 11:55:44 (permalink)
    last question for a bit before i start spending, I am on vista so will the sound cards that you have suggested work for vista? God I hope so!!!
    mgh
    RE: New to audio recording 2007/07/17 18:21:14 (permalink)
    I am on vista

actually i think all the cards i mentioned will now. if i remember the fast track has vista drivers but the fast track pro hasn't...check out www.cakewalk.com/vista the emu cards have beta drivers, edirol and echo totally ready to go.

neusch11
    RE: New to audio recording 2007/07/17 19:13:51 (permalink)
    so I just bought MC3 just for something to mess around with but i dont know if it will work with Vista....i read a few forum feeds about people getting it to work but i dont know if thats a forsure thing or not....anyone?

->Ty<-
    mgh
    RE: New to audio recording 2007/07/17 19:23:51 (permalink)
    so I just bought MC3 just for something to mess around with but i dont know if it will work with Vista

why? we've all said check whatever you buy is vista compatible - AFAIK MC3 isn't . try Reaper.

neusch11
    RE: New to audio recording 2007/07/17 20:07:47 (permalink)
    sorry i mean cakw walk Music maker 3 is what i purchased...arent there any downloads that will help it run on vista?
    mgh
    RE: New to audio recording 2007/07/18 04:05:07 (permalink)
    now you've got a CW product, assuming it's registered, you can get the upgrade price for HS6, which will prob be only a few dollars. i know for poor students it's tough - apparently some people have got music maker to work in vista, give it a go. it'll either work or it won't.

neusch11
    RE: New to audio recording 2007/07/18 11:29:53 (permalink)
    well i know it seems like i have ADD but i am gonna take MC3 back and get Home studio XL6. It works with Vista and it is better. Thanks for all you help!!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1