New track "Acid Rain" RWR remix of "Cold Hailey Rainy Night"

Author
Sean*O
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 190
2007/08/15 05:18:33 (permalink)

New track "Acid Rain" RWR remix of "Cold Hailey Rainy Night"

...is up over at Realworld Remixed: http://www.realworldremixed.com/remix.php?remix_id=rsIjAzguU4DA0hVd

Only 128kbps which is a shame, because they won't allow me to host a larger size file anywhere else.

Have a listen if you can by following the link.

Thanks everyone!

-PSO

4 Replies Related Threads

mcourter
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3442
    RE: New track "Acid Rain" RWR remix of "Cold Hailey Rainy Night" 2007/08/15 13:50:11 (permalink)
    sean, I enjoyed that a lot. Good vocals, great piano, good synth, solid drums. Bass was a bit low in the mix. Other than that, it was excellent. Do I understand this correctly: this is not your song?
    whoever it belongs to, it was great.
    Mark

A few guitars, a couple of basses, a MIDI controller, a mandolin, a banjo, a mic, PodFarm2
    Unbridled Enthusiasm
     My music: www.Soundclick.com/markcourter
    Sean*O
    RE: New track "Acid Rain" RWR remix of "Cold Hailey Rainy Night" 2007/08/15 17:47:04 (permalink)
    Hi Mark, thank you for listening and for the kind words.

It's an old folk song written hundreds of years ago, and the vocals were taken from a Real World Remixed sample pack. I basically took the vocal tracks and wrote all of the music around them, basing it on a theme by Martin Carthy (an old folk guitar player.)

The "Imagined Village" track this is based on can be found here: http://www.realworldremixed.com/download.php

AsherLongley
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 683
    RE: New track "Acid Rain" RWR remix of "Cold Hailey Rainy Night" 2007/08/16 13:38:44 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Sean*O

...is up over at Realworld Remixed: http://www.realworldremixed.com/remix.php?remix_id=rsIjAzguU4DA0hVd

Only 128kbps which is a shame, because they won't allow me to host a larger size file anywhere else.

Have a listen if you can by following the link.

Thanks everyone!

-PSO

Sean, it's great to see you post again. (I love your work) Here's my first pass:

Wow, what a great union of traditional Irish/Scottish reel with modern instrumentation and rhythm.

It sounds like the hard transition around 1:00 needs to increase in volume a little as it seems the level in general drops a little at that transition.

Oh! I was hoping that was your voice and friends singing. Really great singing! The resinence at 2:40 sounds a little flat and muddy. Perhaps a master eq'ing there would bring the mids down and increase the highs. (The kind of eq clarity I'm envisioning is at 3:40 when your precussion comes in for a couple seconds).

I think with a little master EQ'ing the tracks will stand out from one another much better. Wow, what a dynamic piece here.

Did you do all the orchestral and synth instruments via the piano roll again? Also, which instruments did you play?

Great song, you're building quite the musical resume!!

-Matt
    Sean*O
    RE: New track "Acid Rain" RWR remix of "Cold Hailey Rainy Night" 2007/08/18 01:56:53 (permalink)
    Hey there Matt,

Thanks for the comments, they are always appreciated!

Re: EQ & levels, I agree. The level drop is from putting compression on the track at the mastering stage... when the bigger bass hits, everything else takes a slight drop. It's a trade-off... less bass or more evenly perceived volume. I'm sure there are ways around that, but my mixing skills are not there yet.

Instrument wise, everything was programmed except for two instrumental bits of about 15 seconds each. I played 98% of the guitar parts (clean and heavy) and doubled over one of the 15 second sampled guitar bits with two somewhat identical acoustic guitar tracks to give it a wider soundstage.

Programming the piano solo in the middle of the track was probably the most challenging part. I was pretty happy with how it worked out though.

Some of the EQ was a bit experimental for me also. I high-passed most of the instruments at around 250Hz to give the main bass line and drums more room and definition. The piano would be the exception to that rule, because it has such a tight and defined low end that it doesn't need as much taming. (The Studio 7 in Ivory is the piano used in most of the song, and the German Concert in Ivory was used for the intro piano.)

One day I hope to have access to a studio where I can crank up a good loud mic'd guitar tone and not have to struggle with a line-direct tone. I think that's probably the biggest hole in my production is not being able to match the stuff that I record direct or that I mic up with a SM57 (my acoustic guitar tracks) with the usually full sounding orchestra and piano samples I use.

Thanks again for the comments!

-PSO

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1