Helpful ReplyNew update broke all my projects - terrible distorted sound. Is rollback possible?

Author
romandesign
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6
2018/12/13 21:47:05 (permalink)

New update broke all my projects - terrible distorted sound. Is rollback possible?

I updated yesterday and have a horrible distortion on all my projects. Sounds like severe overload. But VU meters are fine. So far I haven't identified any particular culprit or found a workaround. Distortion seems to disappear when I click the button to bypass all effects. But if I just disable effects on particular track and on master bus - it's still distorted. Also, it seemed to disappear if I use normal windows drivers for default PC audio in 16-bit. But as soon as I switch back to 24-bit on ASIO drivers - the distortion is back. Switching to WDM drivers doesn't make a difference. My projects are 44100 kHz 24-bit, I use Windows 10 (latest update) and TASCAM 16x08 with latest stock ASIO driver.

I'm not sure if it's any particular plugin or the update of Sonar itself that does it, but it's a disaster. I wanted to rollback a Sonar version, but it looks like there is nowhere to download previous version. Is there any possibility to rollback? Maybe anybody has found a workaround of this bug?
Jimbo 88
Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1828
Re: New update broke all my projects - terrible distorted sound. Is rollback possible? 2018/12/13 22:03:23 (permalink)
I think you are having the Breverb or TH3 issue...Try turning just those off.  The forum is full of people with that problem.  I had distortion on just tracks with Breverb.  I reloaded the old breverb and everything is well.

Cakewalk By Bandlab
Cubase 9.5 Pro
Windows 7 64 Bit   Core i7-8700   32 Gig Ram 3.20ghz  
RME Fireface 400 Audio Card
Behringer FCA 1616
Sweetwater Creation Station

Jon Sasor [Cakewalk]
Cakewalk Staff
  • Total Posts : 284
Re: New update broke all my projects - terrible distorted sound. Is rollback possible? 2018/12/13 23:08:14 (permalink)
romandesign
I updated yesterday and have a horrible distortion on all my projects. Sounds like severe overload. But VU meters are fine. So far I haven't identified any particular culprit or found a workaround. Distortion seems to disappear when I click the button to bypass all effects. But if I just disable effects on particular track and on master bus - it's still distorted. Also, it seemed to disappear if I use normal windows drivers for default PC audio in 16-bit. But as soon as I switch back to 24-bit on ASIO drivers - the distortion is back. Switching to WDM drivers doesn't make a difference. My projects are 44100 kHz 24-bit, I use Windows 10 (latest update) and TASCAM 16x08 with latest stock ASIO driver.

I'm not sure if it's any particular plugin or the update of Sonar itself that does it, but it's a disaster. I wanted to rollback a Sonar version, but it looks like there is nowhere to download previous version. Is there any possibility to rollback? Maybe anybody has found a workaround of this bug?

Please check to see if you have the 64-bit Double Precision Engine, load balancing, or plugin upsampling enabled and whether toggling any of those individually makes a difference. There are a handful of people experiencing a similar problem, but we haven't been able to readily reproduce the problem. Also, if in ASIO see if changing the buffer size too has any impact.

Jonathan Sasor
Quality Assurance Engineer 
BandLab
romandesign
Re: New update broke all my projects - terrible distorted sound. Is rollback possible? 2018/12/14 17:30:18 (permalink)
I tried 64-bit Double Precision Engine and ASIO buffer changes - no effect. Will try plugin upsampling - when I find where it is set...
emwhy
Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1402
Re: New update broke all my projects - terrible distorted sound. Is rollback possible? 2018/12/14 17:33:35 (permalink)
It's not just in SONAR or Cakewalk. I have the stand alone version of Breverb that I got last year when Overloud offered a deal to us ex Gibson people and now Breverb is glitching on me in REAPER as well since the latest update.

Jon Sasor [Cakewalk]
Cakewalk Staff
  • Total Posts : 284
Re: New update broke all my projects - terrible distorted sound. Is rollback possible? 2018/12/14 17:56:13 (permalink)
emwhy
It's not just in SONAR or Cakewalk. I have the stand alone version of Breverb that I got last year when Overloud offered a deal to us ex Gibson people and now Breverb is glitching on me in REAPER as well since the latest update.

The Cakewalk installer would not have altered the full paid BREVERB 2 version. It only alters BREVERB Cakewalk specifically.

Jonathan Sasor
Quality Assurance Engineer 
BandLab
mettelus
Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5321
Re: New update broke all my projects - terrible distorted sound. Is rollback possible? 2018/12/14 20:03:54 (permalink)
If you were running the unlocked Cakewalk Breverb that was offered to us last year, try reloading that version. That seems to have resolved issues where Breverb was the cause. The new CbB replaces that unlocked version with a newer one, but then locks it again to CbB. If desiring the unlocked version going forward, it is unclear if re-installing it will be required for CbB updaes going forward.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
romandesign
Re: New update broke all my projects - terrible distorted sound. Is rollback possible? 2018/12/14 21:44:29 (permalink)
Well, looking at other people having problems with BReverb and TH3, I just deleted those DLLs from my system, and installed versions independent from Sonar, to see if it makes a difference. Then reset and rescan all VSTs. And voila! Everything started working again.

emwhy
Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1402
Re: New update broke all my projects - terrible distorted sound. Is rollback possible? 2018/12/14 22:04:15 (permalink)
If you were running the unlocked Cakewalk Breverb that was offered to us last year, try reloading that version.

Bingo!!! Thanks for the tip, things are back to normal. But man I hope I don't have to do this with all my projects. I have multiple sessions in both Cakewalk and Reaper.

mariogag
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 60
Re: New update broke all my projects - terrible distorted sound. Is rollback possible? 2018/12/14 22:17:33 (permalink)
I'm putting my engineering, customer support here.....

Breverb2 and TH3 may sound great but for now it looks like it is out of control.

I don't what you all think but I would push a rollback via the assistant, take a breather to figure out what is going on. Then push the update only re-integrating TH3.

In 2 months reintroduce Breverb2.

My 2 cents!

Mario
mettelus
Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5321
Re: New update broke all my projects - terrible distorted sound. Is rollback possible? 2018/12/14 22:29:37 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby abacab 2018/12/14 23:10:11
Previous installers for SONAR (X1-X3) allowed very surgical installation of components/VSTs. It would be simpler for the CbB installer to identify that the unlocked Breverb is installed (only one release I am aware of), and prompt the user to overwrite it, or leave it be.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1