New warnings about XP SP3

Author
bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
2008/09/11 10:29:58 (permalink)

New warnings about XP SP3

This from yesterday's Windows Secrets newsletter:

From the moment Microsoft released it, Service Pack 3 for Windows XP has been the subject of almost daily reports of bugs, incompatibilities, and general headaches.

You can install SP3 with confidence — providing you take certain precautions — or, if you prefer, use Windows' Automatic Update settings to keep the service pack off your system.

Multiple problems plague SP3 adopters

Windows Secrets has been reporting problems with Windows XP's Service Pack 3 almost from the instant the patch collection was first distributed. In fact, so many readers have contacted us with questions or complaints about SP3 — the last major update to Windows XP — that we've synthesized everything you need to know about this update in a single column.

Here are the most glaring SP3-related problems:

• Internet connectivity fails when using black hole routers, which drop packets (see Susan Bradley's May 1 column in our paid content and Microsoft's Knowledge Base article 314825).

• False positives are generated by Norton Internet Security and other security applications (see my May 2 Top Story).

• Device Manager settings go missing, especially in connection with using Norton Antivirus (see Susan Bradley's column in the May 29 newsletter as well as KB 953791).

• Repeated rebooting occurs on machines using an AMD processor (see Susan Bradley's May 22 column and KB 953356).

• You can't install any new updates (see KB 943144).

• Third-party visual styles encounter problems (see the Support Alert Newsletter of June 19).

Making an upgrade decision that works for you

In light of these and other problems, you may wonder whether you ever want SP3 at all, especially given that many of its enhancements focus on networking and IT-level administration. Here's the case for SP3:

Think security: In addition to new features, SP3 — like most service packs — includes numerous security updates that were available individually in the past.

Consider support: If you think you might require Microsoft's assistance to install SP3, you need to add the service pack before April 2009, when the company will end such support. And because overall support for SP2 expires in early 2010, you'll need to have SP3 installed by that date if you want general support for XP.

Be prepared: Before you install SP3, take a few precautions. First and foremost, perform a full system backup. Microsoft has digested all recommended pre-install steps in KB 950717, which also includes troubleshooting information if all does not go well.

How to remove SP3 from your Automatic Updates

If you decide you don't want SP3, Microsoft offers a tool for suppressing the automatic installation of the service pack. The Service Pack Blocker Tool Kit won't prevent you from downloading SP3 manually from the company's site, nor will it stop you from installing the patches from a CD or DVD. All it does is stop the service pack from being installed via Windows' Automatic Updates.

In addition, the Service Pack Blocker postpones the installation for only a year from SP3's release date last April.

Surf over to Microsoft's Service Pack Blocker download page and click the Download button for SPBlockerTools.exe. Click Yes to accept the license agreement and type in the path to the folder where the files will be stored (click the Browse button and navigate to the folder if you want to avoid typing).

Now open the folder containing the extracted files and double-click SPBlockingTool.exe. A command prompt window appears for a few moments and displays the statement "Action successfully completed." Unfortunately, that doesn't tell you very much. The action the message refers to is the addition of a Registry entry instructing Windows Update not to send you SP3. (The same setting on Vista blocks SP1.)

If you want to see the code that is added, do the following:

Step 1. Choose Start, Run. Type regedit and press Enter.

Step 2. In the Registry Editor, navigate in the left pane to this entry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Policies \ Microsoft \ Windows \ WindowsUpdate

Step 3. With the WindowsUpdate icon selected in the left pane, look in the right pane for a key named DoNotAllowSP.

If you later decide you want Automatic Updates to offer you Service Pack 3, simply select the DoNotAllowSP key and press Delete (or click Edit, Delete).

If you're concerned about editing the Registry (which involves risks of its own), the Service Pack Blocker can also undo the block:

Step 1. Choose Start, Run. Type cmd and press Enter.

Step 2. At the command prompt, either type the path to the SPBlockingTool.exe file, or drag the file into the command prompt window and let Windows do the typing for you.

Step 3. At the end of this command, type a space followed by /U and press Enter.

Once again, you'll see the "Action successfully completed" message and Windows Automatic Update will no longer be blocked from installing the service pack on your system.

The other tool included with the download, SPreg.cmd, is a batch file useful for administrators who want to block the service pack on remote computers; this utility requires that the machine name be specified in the command line.

Even though most of SP3's problems should now be in the past, these precautions can help ensure that you aren't one of the service pack's installation victims.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff

17 Replies Related Threads

kwgm
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2271
    RE: New warnings about XP SP3 2008/09/11 13:24:03 (permalink)
    Yes, it's a problem. No doubt there will be a hot fix to fix the service pack!

I recall reading comments on the Sonar forum that SP3 was simply a bundle of previously released updates -- surprise, not true!

A good ploy is to keep Automatic Updates on the middle setting -- where it uploads the fix, but asks you whether or not to apply it, and in this dialog, always take the time to go in and look at what M$ wants to install on _your_ machine. Often, the upgrade or hotfix is relevant, but sometimes it has absolutely no business on a DAW. (SP3 seems to fit that description.) Often the best attitude with a DAW is "If it ain't broken, don't fix it". Sacrilege I know, but let wisdom prevail on your DAW -- this _is_ rocket science!

Always think before applying updates, even updates to Adobe Reader (which seem to come regularly), and use the Windows Restore service on your system drive. It's nice to have a safety net.

--kwgm
    bitflipper
    RE: New warnings about XP SP3 2008/09/11 22:46:13 (permalink)
    That's exactly how I do it on all my machines. It's a pain to sift through all the "critical" updates and try to guess which ones are booby traps in disguise, but I've had some very bad experiences in the past with automatic updates and won't ever take a chance again on letting Microsoft decide what's best for me.

Unfortunately, I just put SP3 on last week on the assumption that I hadn't heard anything bad for a while...so far, no problems, though.

My Stuff
    lhansen
    Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4765
    RE: New warnings about XP SP3 2008/09/12 10:47:50 (permalink)
    I installed sp3 when the 'official version' came out. I have to say that I've had no issues as of yet. At the same time I've not seen any improvements (at least not visually) to my DAW or home pc's as far as latency or speed is concerned. I never have automatic updates turned on. I manually do all this with ALL my software after I've read the white papers on what the supposed fix is for. I'm also a 'backup fanatic'.. having worked in IT for law enforcement agencies, you learn to be veeerry careful what you allow to come thru. We all have a tendency to learn real quick when bitten...

Slow Marching Band

Win 7 x64, Sonar X1E x64, Studio One v2, Focusrite Saffire 24 DSP Pro, Genelec 8030a, True Systems P-Solo, Focusrite ISA One, FMR RNP, GAP-73. 

"Someone to watch over me".
    krizrox
    Max Output Level: -35 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4046
    RE: New warnings about XP SP3 2008/09/12 12:18:46 (permalink)
    Same here - nothing good or bad to report about SP3. I would never allow automatic upgrades to my DAW. That's like playing Russian Roulette with your machine. And Norton? I want nothing Norton on my machine ever again.

Larry Kriz
    www.LnLRecording.com
    www.myspace.com/lnlrecording

Sonar PE 8.5, Samplitude Pro 11, Sonic Core Scope Professional/XTC, A16 Ultra AD/DA, Intel DG965RY MOBO, Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz processor, XFX GeForce 7300 GT PCIe video card, Barracuda 750 & 320GB SATA drives, 4GB DDR Ram, Plextor DVD/CD-R burner.
    bapu
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 86000
    RE: New warnings about XP SP3 2008/09/12 16:28:38 (permalink)
    I want nothing Norton on my machine ever again.

Just curious, why?
    mwall
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1262
    RE: New warnings about XP SP3 2008/09/12 16:45:50 (permalink)
    And Norton? I want nothing Norton on my machine ever again.

Me either! Does nothing but ruin and slow down systems. And doesn't work correctly, in many cases (personal experience, anyway).
    post edited by mwall - 2008/09/12 17:46:51

Mark
    -----
    Some tunes:
    http://www.reverbnation.com/markwallace
    http://www.soundclick.com/markwallace 

DAW: SONAR X3 Producer; GA-P35-DS3L; Q6600; OCZ 8GB DDR2 800; Win8 64-bit; Gina 3G.
    tcbetka
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 214
    RE: New warnings about XP SP3 2008/09/12 18:27:28 (permalink)
    So, this begs the question...is it possible (or advisable, if it is possible) to roll back to SP2? I'm not even sure if it's possible to uninstall an SP.

Thanks for posting BF.

TB

EDIT: Forgot--ditto on the whole Norton thing. I hate it. It's like it tries to take control of the machine..."resistance is futile."
    post edited by tcbetka - 2008/09/12 18:30:35

Gretsch drums
    Mackie 1640 Onyx, Firewire I/O
    Audix mics
    Sonar 8.5 PE / Pro Tools LE 7.4
    M-audio MobilePre USB / M-box 2
    Windows XP / Q9450 2.66 GHz Quad / Abit mobo / 4GB RAM
    Seagate 1000, 500, 250, 80 & 80 GB hard drives
    Glyph 120GB firewire drive
    krizrox
    Max Output Level: -35 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4046
    RE: New warnings about XP SP3 2008/09/12 18:43:12 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: bapu

Just curious, why?

Norton AV is a dog. It will suck all the life out of your machine. Don't believe me? Uninstall it sometime and see how much faster your machine runs. Then try something like AVG as a comparison.

Honestly, I don't like ANY AV programs. Too bad we're forced to reconcile this stuff. There's always a down side to life. Maybe that's the way it needs to be.

As far as the other tools, try Acronis products for backup and disk maintenance. Blows Norton's products completely away and won't suck all the life out of the machine.

And finally, I think you can uninstall a service pack although I've never tried it so I'm not sure exactly what to expect. Use your control panel "add or remove programs" feature to uninstall it. What's the worse that can happen? It hoses your entire computer?
    post edited by krizrox - 2008/09/12 18:47:05

Larry Kriz
    www.LnLRecording.com
    www.myspace.com/lnlrecording

Sonar PE 8.5, Samplitude Pro 11, Sonic Core Scope Professional/XTC, A16 Ultra AD/DA, Intel DG965RY MOBO, Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz processor, XFX GeForce 7300 GT PCIe video card, Barracuda 750 & 320GB SATA drives, 4GB DDR Ram, Plextor DVD/CD-R burner.
    Spaceduck
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2499
    RE: New warnings about XP SP3 2008/09/12 20:04:29 (permalink)
    Last month in a moment of desperation I installed SP3 (I thought it would solve a certain hardware problem... not). I haven't had any major problems to report, but I definitely experience repeated rebootings.

Come to think of it, I've had a lot of screaming-high-pitched audio device crashes in the past month. I never had them under SP2. Jeez, time to roll back...
    keith
    Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3882
    RE: New warnings about XP SP3 2008/09/13 12:58:19 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: krizrox
    Norton AV is a dog. It will suck all the life out of your machine. Don't believe me? Uninstall it sometime and see how much faster your machine runs. Then try something like AVG as a comparison.

Actually... AVG 8 (free) on my wife's laptop (Athlon 64 3200+) is a dog, IMO. Right now I have iTunes open + 2 bowser windows (including the window that I'm typing this into), and AVGRSX.EXE is hovering between 5-10% CPU!!! What is it doing? I'm not surfing. No files are being read or modified. What the hell is AVG doing?!?!?!

When I have several browser windows open I notice significant CPU increase. E.g., I just opened 4 blank IE instances -- i.e., pointing at about:blank -- and AVG is now hovering at 25-30%!!!!!!!! Again: what the hell is it doing?!?!?!

Anybody else get this CPU usage with AVG 8?

I think it has something to do with the embedded "spyware protection", which I actually have no use for because I use two other products.

Who knows, but AVG free ain't workin' for me at this rate... I might have to pay for Kapersky or something.
    bitflipper
    RE: New warnings about XP SP3 2008/09/13 14:48:14 (permalink)
    I have AVG 8 running right now, and zero CPU from it. 99% idle.

However, I do not run "resident shield", the background process that scans files as they are opened. You should disable that if you're normally cautious about what you download, and just run a virus scan when you boot.

My Stuff
    zungle
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2745
    RE: New warnings about XP SP3 2008/09/13 17:44:51 (permalink)
    However, I do not run "resident shield", the background process that scans files as they are opened. You should disable that if you're normally cautious about what you download, and just run a virus scan when you boot.

Exactly..............
    spindlebox
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2645
    RE: New warnings about XP SP3 2008/09/13 20:18:00 (permalink)
    I created 2 system backups. 1 prior to SP3 installation, and 1 for after. So far I haven't had any problems, but at least I know I can go "back in time" just in case there are.

BTW, I use AVAST, and other than it automatically updating itself (which I turn off now before a Cake session) it's pretty seamless. There's practically no CPU hit, even though it's currently running, my idle right now says 99%.

keith
    Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3882
    RE: New warnings about XP SP3 2008/09/13 20:59:24 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: bitflipper

Yeah... that's not an option on my wife's laptop, which is used for general connectivity and needs to be as locked down as possible, especially considering random attachments coming through email, etc.

The thing that burns me is that I always ran AVG 7 free with resident shield enabled, and I don't remember it being so obviously relatively CPU intensive....
    JonD
    Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3617
    RE: New warnings about XP SP3 2008/09/16 01:34:44 (permalink)
    My Kaspersky license expires in 6 days so I will soon be demoing this new kid on the block:

http://www.sunbeltsoftware.com/Home-Home-Office/VIPRE/

It's gotten good reviews, and supposedly consumes the least amount of system resources. If even half of the ad-copy is true, seems like the one to beat.

JD

post edited by JonD - 2008/09/16 01:37:45
    Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: New warnings about XP SP3 2008/09/16 08:49:22 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: keith

ORIGINAL: bitflipper

Yeah... that's not an option on my wife's laptop, which is used for general connectivity and needs to be as locked down as possible, especially considering random attachments coming through email, etc.

The thing that burns me is that I always ran AVG 7 free with resident shield enabled, and I don't remember it being so obviously relatively CPU intensive....

I had the same problem. when I "upgraded" from 7 to 8 it went NUTS on resources. so I canned it. I'm using Avast! now. I prefered the AVG 7 so much more over the "new and improved" version 8. 8 is a resource hog.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Doc_Hollingsworth
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2289
    RE: New warnings about XP SP3 2008/09/16 13:00:30 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: bapu

Just curious, why?

Symantec programs have been shown to be incompatible with other programs including and not limited to Microsoft office products. Additionally, as has already been mentioned NAV is a huge system resource hog and the Norton automatic program updater also is known to interfere with communications on non-standard ports within a network. Especially those that are related to Quality of Service in network packet routing.

Also when attempting to shut down the core processes in most symantec software it does not shut down the service which will continue to operate in the background taking up resources. So in most cases when stopping a symantec program you have to stop the related services. And symantec does not logically name or tag their services and programs so you can find them all.

The last straw for me to be done with Symantec as a whole was when I upgraded to the very latest in their Internet security suite back in '04. I had a full system failure that was traceable back to their auto updater. When I spoke to their tech support they stated that their product was guaranteed to run correctly if it was the only program installed under the Windows OS. And that to fix my program I would have to uninstall everything else.

I immediately demanded my money back as they had misrepresented their products and promptly purchased licenses for Trend Micro's Internet Security Suite based upon a recommendation from the IT infrastructure department guru's at the company I worked for at the time. I've been using their products ever since and have had no issues.

But there will never be another Symantec product on any computer I ever own. Quite simply their products are garbage.

Doc
    MacBook Pro 15.4 Retina (mid 2015)
    Focusrite Clarett 8PreX & OctoPre
    Logic Pro X 10.2.4/Reason 9.2/Pro Tools 12.7
    Long haired dachshund - requisite studio dog (no short hairs need apply - read the sign)

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1