Newb Dimension Pro question

Author
Tunesy
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 70
2007/11/20 01:32:21 (permalink)

Newb Dimension Pro question

I'm new to synths. Maybe I've just overlooked it in the manual, but is there a way to audition sounds when you're working on them in Dimension Pro? I've been loading a midi file or scribbling down a few notes in the piano roll and hitting spacebar to test my Dimension Pro sounds while working on them, but it's a bit of a clunky way to work. Seems like there should be a keyboard shortcut or something to just test the sounds as your working on them. Thanks.

10 Replies Related Threads

CJaysMusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30423
    RE: Newb Dimension Pro question 2007/11/20 05:46:28 (permalink)
    how about using a midi controller/keyboard
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    Tunesy
    RE: Newb Dimension Pro question 2007/11/20 10:36:12 (permalink)
    I'm just a hobbyist trying to keep it as simple as possible. I don't want to add a midi device. Been reading Simon Cann s excellent Cakewalk Synth book. I was hoping Dimension Pro had an audition feature similar to Triangle II's, but so far I haven't seen mention of one in the book or the manual.
    duglmac
    • Total Posts : 94
    RE: Newb Dimension Pro question 2007/11/20 13:32:14 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Tunesy

I'm new to synths. Maybe I've just overlooked it in the manual, but is there a way to audition sounds when you're working on them in Dimension Pro? I've been loading a midi file or scribbling down a few notes in the piano roll and hitting spacebar to test my Dimension Pro sounds while working on them, but it's a bit of a clunky way to work. Seems like there should be a keyboard shortcut or something to just test the sounds as your working on them. Thanks.

I use the piano roll to lay down some notes, and then loop them. Leave it running while you select different Dim Pro programs.

---------------------------------------------------------------
    I don't suffer from Insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!
    Tunesy
    RE: Newb Dimension Pro question 2007/11/20 14:02:44 (permalink)
    Yea, that's what I've been doing most of the time. I prefer the 'Triangle II way', but it's not a deal breaker. Thanks anyway.
    ChristopherM
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1921
    RE: Newb Dimension Pro question 2007/11/22 02:29:38 (permalink)
    I don't want to add a midi device
    You could download and install MIDI-OX (free for personal use). This allows you to use your PC's keyboard to send MIDI Note On and Note Off messages to Sonar. It's pretty crude, in that you get constant velocity and no aftertouch, but you would at least be able to play the soft synths. (There used to be a similar feature embedded within Cake's sequencer software, but I don't think that it exists any more).

However, I can't help feel that you would get so much more out of your soft synths if you were to get hold of a decent USB keyboard. If you get a 25 key one, it takes up little space, but will normally give you a more-or-less full-featured MIDI capability. Most also let you interact with Sonar via knobs and faders as well. They are really not expensive - far less than the licence cost of Dim Pro.
    Tunesy
    RE: Newb Dimension Pro question 2007/11/22 09:15:28 (permalink)
    I have a pretty nice midi keyboard, actually; a ten year old Radio Shack (re: Casio?) Concertmate 990. But I don't want something that big chained to my hip while doing this hobby. To borrow a phrase from Monty Python, the whole idea of adding any hardware at all just to audition sounds feels like “hunting mosquitoes with a bazooka” ;) It's no big deal though. I'll just keep doing what I've been doing.
    ChristopherM
    RE: Newb Dimension Pro question 2007/11/22 09:58:03 (permalink)
    I don't want something that big chained to my hip while doing this hobby
    Why ... do you do it while you're out running or something? Each to his own, but I can't imagine auditioning synth sounds without the means to try out a few fat chords ...
    lawapa
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1144
    RE: Newb Dimension Pro question 2007/11/22 10:16:09 (permalink)
    Triangle II is a different animal.

Dpro loads the samples into your ram such that a audition feature is not a possibility. Watch the HD light as you change from one patch/voice/set to another.

It seems a limitation but it's not really. Z3TA is another cool cake synth. A true power house but the patches do not contain samples that load to ram like Dimension.
    Tunesy
    RE: Newb Dimension Pro question 2007/11/22 14:26:28 (permalink)
    Maybe I should have mentioned how I like to do the music/computer hobby. I've played instruments for 30 years, but I'm not really interested in having the computer dominate my music time, hence the "keep it simple" mantra. My usual work flow is: Write music in Overture (usually string quartet, guitar solo, or the occassional full orchestra), export midi, open midi in Sonar, attach instruments, render. I also like to get lazy sometimes and generate stuff with Band in a Box. Is there any reason I should add the additional complications of a midi device to that mix? I'm all ears if the benefit is worth the hassle. Maybe I should have mentioned my main use of Dim Pro is for acoustic instruments and I'd like to learn to tweak them a bit in Dim Pro, which is why I was asking about auditioning. Anyway. No big deal. I'm having a blast with this stuff. I'm becoming a Cakewalk fanboy.
    ChristopherM
    RE: Newb Dimension Pro question 2007/11/22 15:07:30 (permalink)
    Is there any reason I should add the additional complications of a midi device to that mix?

Well ... it's entirely your choice of course ... but a USB MIDI keyboard is really no hassle to install, set-up and use (at least no more than adding most pieces of hardware to a PC - the practical scale goes from to as you know).

IMHO the advantage of having one is greater if you are auditioning complex sounds (like many Dim Pro patches) where velocity, sustain, aftertouch and various other CC messages can hugely affect the response of the patch.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1