Newbie Cant get Sonar to read Midi from Triton Extreme, Please Help?

Author
bodhi65
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 71
2011/02/03 12:06:02 (permalink)

Newbie Cant get Sonar to read Midi from Triton Extreme, Please Help?

I am a novice who wants to use his Korg Triton Extreme with Sonar, through an Mbox2. Sonar is reading the Korg when I am recording an analog track but I can't get it to read midi.  I switched the Korg off local in the global settings but it still wont record a midi signal.  In my research on this forum, people are talking about loading drivers????  Sonar recongnizes my Mbox2 but it doesn't show the Korg in any of the dropdowns.  Is this a driver issue that I have to upload to my PC which is running XP or is it an issue with the way my Korg is set up?

Sorry to bother you all with a novice question but I have spent DAYS trying to fix this.  Thank you for any suggestions you may have for me.

7 Replies Related Threads

Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:Newbie Cant get Sonar to read Midi from Triton Extreme, Please Help? 2011/02/03 12:17:52 (permalink)
    how do you have the triton connected to the computer?  do you have a MIDI cable connected to the mbox?  or do you have a usb cable from the triton to the computer?

depending on that answer, do you have either of those set up in the MIDI DEVICES?  and what are you choosing as your MIDI INPUT for the MIDI track you're trying to record on?

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    bodhi65
    Re:Newbie Cant get Sonar to read Midi from Triton Extreme, Please Help? 2011/02/03 15:15:22 (permalink)
    Hi,

I have the triton connected to the Mbox2 with midi cables and the Mbox2 connected to the PC with the usb.  I did not connect the Triton directly to the PC although I can if that is a better way to go.  As I have it now, the Mbox is set up in midi devices (the sonar software does not show any connection labelled Triton).  the midi input on the track is "omni mbox" or something close to that, I am not at my system now. 

Thank for the rapid reply!

Alan
    Beagle
    Re:Newbie Cant get Sonar to read Midi from Triton Extreme, Please Help? 2011/02/03 15:28:27 (permalink)
    running MIDI cables thru the mbox and having the mbox setup on the MIDI DEVICES is fine.  it should work that way.  the next thing I would check would be to make sure you don't have the MIDI cables switched.  it's a common error.  MIDI OUTPUT on the Korg goes to MIDI INPUT on the mbox and MIDI INPUT on the korg goes to MIDI OUTPUT on the mbox.

if that doesn't work then I'd try the USB connection.  make sure you set up the KORG USB in the MIDI DEVICES and then select the KORG USB in the MIDI track.

make sure you're arming the track, too.

bodhi65
    Re:Newbie Cant get Sonar to read Midi from Triton Extreme, Please Help? 2011/02/03 16:05:03 (permalink)
    Thanks,
    Ill be checking these suggestions in about 2 hours.  Ill let you know the outcome.

thanks again for your reply.

Alan
    Rothchild
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1479
    Re:Newbie Cant get Sonar to read Midi from Triton Extreme, Please Help? 2011/02/03 17:14:34 (permalink)
    the sonar software does not show any connection labelled Triton

MIDI is a very old format now, it's very neat and useful but it's not very clever, you're not going to get an automatic popup in sonar saying 'ooh a triton' (as lovely as it would be), Sonar can 'see' as far as the interface (in this case your Mbox) but not really any further.

However, once you've got your head around it and the basic set up going you can then load up an 'instrument definition' which will make patch selection from Sonar much easier and you'll have a bit of a idea of what's going on. There's loads of definitions here: http://www.cakewalknet.co...mp;id=21&Itemid=48 and you'll be able to read up on them in the help file.

It is tough to work out at first but a bit of persistence (and a bunch of reading) will get you there in the end and it'll be well worth it.

Child
    bodhi65
    Re:Newbie Cant get Sonar to read Midi from Triton Extreme, Please Help? 2011/02/03 19:12:12 (permalink)
    I have made the connection and can get Sonar to record midi tracks from my Triton.  Many thanks for your suggestions. 

Now my next task is to figure out how to record multiple tracks using multiple midi sounds. Right now, each midi track I record only plays back in the program sound that is currently displayed on my Triton.  If I may ask, is there a way to record the midi tracks on Sonar and have each track play a different instrument sound from my Triton?

I am thrilled I have gotten this far.  I'm in the zone, and that is why this recording and creating is so fun.  Time stands still and I look up and say where did the last 4 hours go?????

Thank you so much for your help.

Alan
    Beagle
    Re:Newbie Cant get Sonar to read Midi from Triton Extreme, Please Help? 2011/02/03 19:37:36 (permalink)
    you have 16 different channels to use. 

set each of the MIDI tracks output to the triton with different channels, set the bank and patch information in the track properties as well for each individual instrument.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1