Newbie - Need Mix / Master Guidance

Author
hatflyer
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 196
2012/05/14 16:38:21 (permalink)

Newbie - Need Mix / Master Guidance

Below is a rock song I composed.  It sounds unpolished or amateurish.  I did minimal mixing.  Is there any obvious issue I can address to make it sound better?

Thanks.

http://soundcloud.com/hatflyer

Sonar X1 Producer
AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 965 
8 GB RAM
Windows 7 (64-bit)
Audigy SE

8 Replies Related Threads

foxwolfen
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8256
    Re:Newbie - Need Mix / Master Guidance 2012/05/15 00:33:31 (permalink)
    Well, first off... you need to actually write a song. It sounds amateurish because its unfocused... lacks direction and coherent structure. It has potential, but you need to think about it some more. Do you simply want to make cool sounds with your guitar and drums, or do you want to tell a story?

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    Lynn
    Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6117
    Re:Newbie - Need Mix / Master Guidance 2012/05/15 10:11:00 (permalink)
    First off, your playing on this tune is quite good.  The chord progression goes in directions that aren't predictable, so kudos there.  The drum solo is interesting.  Was is live or programmed?  I have no major problems with the mix.  It seemed balanced on my system.  But, as foxwolfen said, it is a bit unfocused.  If you want it to be an instrumental, it could be pared down a bit.  Shouldn't be too hard, just leave the audience wanting more than less. 

All the best,
    Lynn

my songs
    www.soundclick.com/lynnwilson

www.youtube.com/lywilson
    my videos

Cakewalk by Bandlab| Sonar Platinum @ 64bits| i7 860 | 8 gigs ram | W10 @ 64 bits | RME FF 400
    hatflyer
    Re:Newbie - Need Mix / Master Guidance 2012/05/15 10:25:44 (permalink)
    thanks for the input.  i can work on the composition.  i was looking too though on simply the quality of sound.  it seems kind of raw.  i used all virtual instruments (as shown on Soundcloud), andi know using virtual instruments has limitations, but i didn't know if i should use compression or saturation or EQ in some way.

Sonar X1 Producer
    AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 965 
    8 GB RAM
    Windows 7 (64-bit)
    Audigy SE
    Lynn
    Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6117
    Re:Newbie - Need Mix / Master Guidance 2012/05/15 10:46:13 (permalink)
    I don't think the mix is the main issue here, but if that's what you want to work on then try this. Find a song that is similar in instrumentation and style to yours, then do an A/B comparison on your monitors until you get a grasp on what's going on. Try to get your mix as close as possible to the one you're comparing to. Listen to each mix in as many different environments as possible until they start to sound alike. If you already do this, then disregard. You have a world of potential here, so good luck.

All the best,
    Lynn

my songs
    www.soundclick.com/lynnwilson

www.youtube.com/lywilson
    my videos

Cakewalk by Bandlab| Sonar Platinum @ 64bits| i7 860 | 8 gigs ram | W10 @ 64 bits | RME FF 400
    hatflyer
    Re:Newbie - Need Mix / Master Guidance 2012/05/15 12:45:43 (permalink)
    thanks.  i should have called it jam session.  i got new virtual instruments and wanted to put them to the test, though still attempting to make it a worthy song.  will work on it.

Sonar X1 Producer
    AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 965 
    8 GB RAM
    Windows 7 (64-bit)
    Audigy SE
    foxwolfen
    • Total Posts : 8256
    Re:Newbie - Need Mix / Master Guidance 2012/05/15 14:46:41 (permalink)
    I agree with lynn. The mix is not the issue, nor are the instruments. You will find the sound you seek when you focus more on the composition. Don't give up. Its a good start. You have some good elements already.

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    radio
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2782
    Re:Newbie - Need Mix / Master Guidance 2012/05/15 17:21:46 (permalink)

I agree with the above , I sense a lack of timing in your playing . Your jumping from this chord to that chord and they don't marry very well together .
    You are going in the right direction and with practice you'll end up sounding better and the music itself will sound better too .
    Don't give up I hear some good things going on here , the music itself is not where it should be so keep at it .

Radio

RobertB
    • Total Posts : 11256
    Re:Newbie - Need Mix / Master Guidance 2012/05/19 12:07:23 (permalink)
    hatflyer

i should have called it jam session.  i got new virtual instruments and wanted to put them to the test, though still attempting to make it a worthy song.  will work on it.

I would have to call this a fruitful jam session.  You're getting some great sounds from your new instruments, and there are several themes in here that just beg to be developed.
    I'm getting kind of a Yes flavor from some of the bits in this.
    As the guys have said, just focus and run with it.
    This has tons of potential.

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1