Newbie Question

Author
gitarwmn
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3
2014/03/27 18:03:12 (permalink)

Newbie Question

Hello there, I have just started not only using Cakewalk Music Creator but also in recording from my home computer. While I have figured out a few things with Music Creator I am still quite lost in how to edit my tracks. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to start for a complete newbie to recording as well as Music Creator 6? Thanks!

gitarwmn

6 Replies Related Threads

spacealf
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2133
    Re: Newbie Question 2014/03/27 18:06:37 (permalink)
    Hello there and here is the forum.
    Edit is a mighty big word in the realm of music.

If you do something wrong while looking over the menu item ->Edit, then you have Undo and Redo trying out the other sub-menu items under Edit.

Without further details on what you are trying to do then reading recording articles may help or watching utube videos on Sonar or Music Creator.

There is also the Help Topics in the program also.

gitarwmn
    Re: Newbie Question 2014/03/27 18:08:57 (permalink)
    By the way, I've gone through some of the videos and find all of them unhelpful. The documentation is only slightly better.
    gitarwmn
    Re: Newbie Question 2014/03/27 18:16:13 (permalink)
    I'm trying to take a wave track of some nature sounds and cut out certain parts of it, then splice it to the rest of that same track.
    post edited by gitarwmn - 2014/03/27 18:30:24
    pigwart12
    • Total Posts : 14
    Re: Newbie Question 2014/03/27 19:10:55 (permalink)
    Hi and welcome to the forum
    You'll find that Music Creator, like any worthwhile endeavor, has a learning curve associated with it. The tutorial videos are your best starting point to begin your climb.
    The Music Creator program is fully capable of doing what you want to do---but it is so much more than that. Anyone here could tell you exactly how to do what you are attempting to do, but----the best way, is for you to do the homework associated with the program---it's part of the reward you get.
    Then, when you get into the program, you can come back with specific questions, and you'll find many people here with probably many different solutions to your questions.
    Also, it's helpful when you post if you tell us all about your set-up---what computer, MC version, sound card, audio interface,microphone, keyboard, etc.         
    Good luck and much patience to you-------Keith

Keith

MC6, HP, Vista, Dual Core 32-bit,Cakewalk UA25ES, Behringer PSP1000 mixer,Roland E5 synth, Casio WK110 keys, Shure SM58's

spacealf
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2133
    Re: Newbie Question 2014/03/28 00:02:35 (permalink)
    Wave file if imported or recorded is an audio track. You mark the beat and measure or time in the From = Now time in the Edit menu after highlighting the entire clip of the graphics of the wave track. You then mark the Thru = Now time in the Select submenu Edit menu item. There are other ways there also with the submenu item Time or From start to End also way. You then either "cut" or "delete" and also what to "cut" or "delete" and also if you want to "delete hole" or can move the separate clips together after all done and there are holes now and numerous clips in the one wave track that was before.

I suggest you mark the From = Now and Thru = Now portions at the zero crossing points or else you will put clicks in the file.
    The rest you can find in the Help system of the program.

You can also highlight all the separate clips now on the track and combine them all again into one clip by right clicking on the clip and selecting as the menu item - Bounce to Clip!

post edited by spacealf - 2014/03/28 00:44:41

Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re: Newbie Question 2014/03/28 08:22:29 (permalink)
    I have always found the tutorials to be helpful.  Use the pause and rewind with them. Have the DAW open and then go to the DAW and do what they just did in the tutorial. Probably 80% of the stuff you need, maybe more, is in the toots.

If you hit a road block, by all means come here and ask a question. Make it as specific as possible and include as much detail as you can so we have some clue as to what answer you are seeking.

To edit a wave and make it one..... basically, you will find the cut point where you want to start the edit to remove something.....be sure to select that specific track, then,  click at that point, right click and select SPLIT from the drop down menu. Click OK. now move along the time line to where you want the end of the clip to be. repeat the split process.  You now have a new clip in the track.  Right click on that clip and it will change color and the track material in the clips around it should NOT change color. Select DELETE from the drop down, click OK. Now, left click the clip to the right and drag it over to match up with the clip on the left.

Making the match up easier is probably best accomplished by setting the snap to grid setting default BEFORE you do the splits. This allows MC to split at the exact point it needs to, and then when you drag the clips together, they will match perfectly with zero gap or overlap. Gaps and overlap can cause audible clicks and pops where they occur.
    You can also use envelopes to ease the edits in and out gently.

Hope that was what you were needing.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1