Newbie Questions

Author
SlimL
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5
2008/10/08 00:19:02 (permalink)

Newbie Questions

Like I have said in other posts I have recently returned to music after a 6 year absence. I have found it completely different and I am sort of lost. I am looking for some where to start over. A book maybe. Series of magazine articles. I am a bass player with a new guitar player and interested in sequencing the parts that we don't have. Keys and drums probably. Maybe using loops? What sort of gear might I use? I can't play keys so maybe use music software (Overture 2) to add some of the parts. I don't know exactly where to go from here but I know that the answer is always NO unless you ask. TIA. Slim

So Many Tracks, So Little Time

4 Replies Related Threads

Shadow of The Wind
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 425
    RE: Newbie Questions 2008/10/08 00:57:55 (permalink)
    If you search this forum, you will find many resources. E.g. search for 'mixing book'. You will be amazed.
    Sonar also comes with tutorials. Have a look!
    Then, ask specific questions.

Wilko
    DW_Mike
    Max Output Level: -6 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6907
    RE: Newbie Questions 2008/10/08 08:38:12 (permalink)
    You will need a decent Audio/MIDI Interface and to make things easier on yourself a MIDI controller. The controller isn't necessary but it's easier then using your mouse to enter notes.

Here's a good read by one of our own. CLICK HERE.

Here are some MIDI controllers, (you might want to get one that includes drum pads like the Axiom). CLICK HERE.

Mike

Sonar X3 ~ Scarlett 18i6 ~ Home Build DAW  
    GA-Z77X-UD5H
    Intel i7 3770k 4.2GHz
    32GB RAM Crucial Ballistix Elite (4x8) 
    2x Samsung 250GB SSD 
    1TB WD Black HDD @ 7200RPM 6Gb/s 64MB 
    Corsair H80i Liquid cooler 
    Noctua Silent Fans ~ 3x120mm ~ 1x140mm 
    Seasonic Platinum 760w PSU 
    Windows 7 Pro 64Bit.
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: Newbie Questions 2008/10/08 09:21:02 (permalink)
    Welcome back.... I did the same return thing about a year ago now....

A few questions.... what recording package do you know have? What equipment ( midi keys) do you have? Do you have an interface..firewire or USB or PCI?

Not knowing what you have....I'll venture this advice:

Start with Music Creator 4 (MC4) since it allows both audio & midi recording and even though it's only $35 downloaded... it is very capable to do what you are specifically wanting to do. In addition, there's lots of people using it and the MC forum is a lively place where you get good advice on all aspects of this program.

Get a good interface...firewire is preferred if you are on a laptop. Figure out your needs before jumping in...so that you buy the right thing the first time. Hint: go to the MC forum..search through a few posts and find one by Beagle...go to his website...he has some really good stuff on soundcards and has a listing of many of the favorites so you can compare features.

Unless you are a drummer and a keyboardist.... your post indicated you might not be either.....(bass & guitar only) there are a few options for creating interesting keys and drums... Several people are using Band in a Box to create the musical parts they can't play www.pgmusic.com and listening to thier music...this is a good option.

and a few others...me included are using Jamstix for drums.. www.rayzoon.com Jamstix is a life saver to me... it creates it's own tracks based on what you want.... drummer, musical style, kit, it follows midi, audio, or nothing, and it is totally editable and controllable.... you can add fills with the click of a mouse.... this is not a pattern copy & paste drummer...it is artificial intellegence..and it creates it's own beats (not as scary as this sounds)... all my songs are using JS2. go to my soundclick site and listen to JS on the tunes.
    BTW: there is a FREE demo version available for download that the site.... get it and check it out.... it needs to have a host like MC or sonar to function.

Well...thats a start... good luck and have fun.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Kalle Rantaaho
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7005
    RE: Newbie Questions 2008/10/13 06:04:17 (permalink)
    tweakheadz.com is a good source for info as well.

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1