Newbie, audio issues...

Author
Orion
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6
2005/10/08 17:22:33 (permalink)

Newbie, audio issues...

I have scanned the forums looking for answers to my question, and havent found any... maybe i missed something.

This is my firsttime using an online recording device(used to tabeltopanalog consoles).

I read in one thread about opening my pc's recorder and recording there, and then transfering the file to cakewalk. Is this a viable way to record? and what does it do when your tryign to record more than one track and have them sequenced?
I dont record medi, im looking to record direct with ym guitars, keyboard, and drum machine.
MY issues is, no matter which way i try to record(directly to a cakewalk track, or through my pc's recorder) I am unable to hear what i am playing. I get levels, and i can listen upon playback. I just cant hear anythign WHILE recording.
Am I missing something basic?

5 Replies Related Threads

Lay In Wait
    Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1764
    RE: Newbie, audio issues... 2005/10/10 06:05:04 (permalink)
    Could be that your sound card is not a full duplex type card! Full duplex meaning you can record and playback at the same time. If its not you can only do one or the other! Hope that helps
    Orion
    RE: Newbie, audio issues... 2005/10/10 12:01:41 (permalink)
    thank you, i will look into that... though i have a C-Media Wave Device card, which i thought was a decent one allowing for two way.
    Thanx again.
    Orion
    RE: Newbie, audio issues... 2005/10/10 15:30:43 (permalink)
    after trying to find all the properties and attributes to my soundcard, and searching online for other soundcards, I cant seem to find a place or listing for those soundcards that allow simultanious recording and playback. Can someone possibly give me a list of a few decent soundcards that allow this option? im pretty sure soundblaster would, considering it is the tp of the line, but im looking for somethign under $100 if possible. Any and all help is once again appreciated.
    Thank You
    Orion
    larrymcg
    Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1310
    RE: Newbie, audio issues... 2005/10/10 18:24:50 (permalink)
    I think that Pro Audio 9 does NOT support monitoring of what is being recorded. I believe you can hear other previously recorded tracks while recording a new one (if the soundcard is full duplex).

You also asked about recording to the pc's recorder and then transferring to PA9. Try both to see if one is superior but my suggestion would be to record directly into PA9 if you can.

Larry
    Orion
    RE: Newbie, audio issues... 2005/10/11 20:33:30 (permalink)
    Thank Larry!

After messing around with audio options and what not, I have inadvertantly done something that has attained the ability of monitering my recording. So it seems Pro Audio does support such abilities.

I did what you suggested, and there wasn't much difference... maybe the slightest of hisses when recording to the pc's recorder. I think I should record direct into CK.

Do you or anyone know anything about recording synth drums track by track?
    I want to keep a track for each drum piece(ie, hht, kick, snare, ride, crash1, etc.) and I want to be able to sync it up. Create the beats, so they are spot on.
    I have a Yamaha RY8 drum machine, of which I can get some good sounds from, and I have Fruity Loops. I devise a beat on fruity loops, and I save as a wave file, so I can import onto CK. But once I do, I can't seem to sync it's tempo up with the CK tempo, or mapping grid. Any suggestions or answers to my problem is always greatly appreciated.
    Thank you
    Orion
    post edited by Orion - 2005/10/11 21:04:06
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1