Newbie having problems....

Author
fanlee
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2
2005/08/22 21:49:54 (permalink)

Newbie having problems....

Hi.

I'm using Guitar Tracks Pro 2.01 on windows XP with an Audiophile 2496 sound card.

I connected my guitar via an adaptor single to double whick then plugs into the inputs on the back of the computer.

When I try to record levels do not respond to the fader. The level is about 50% up the range and stays there no matter what I do with the fader setter.

It actually records the sound, but softly.

Can aynone offer suggestions as to what I should do?

TIA

RobSm

4 Replies Related Threads

billyb
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 97
    RE: Newbie having problems.... 2005/08/22 23:33:31 (permalink)
    just a thought, do you have the input for the track selected for the input your using on your soundcard? i've done that before in gtp3 and found i didn't have the right input selected. however i'm assuming pro 2.1 is set up similar to pro3 otherwise i don't know thing about pro2.1. hope it's some help. bill
    Jim Kalinowski
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 296
    RE: Newbie having problems.... 2005/08/23 07:47:06 (permalink)
    When you say the input levels don't respond to the fader, are you refering to the fader in GTPro? That fader won't affect the input levels. In order to adjust the input levels, bring up the sound card mixer. I have an M-Audio 2496, also. You should have control software installed for that card (there's probably an icon in the lower right corner). Bring that up and go to the tab that shows several meters. Adjust those to bring up the levels. If those are already at the max, then you need to increase the level of your source.

You really can't connect your guitar directly to the 2496 card and get a good level. You'll need a preamp of some sort to go between the guitar and the sound card (the sound card is expecting a line-level signal and doesn't contain a preamp).
    fanlee
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Newbie having problems.... 2005/08/23 08:08:43 (permalink)
    Hi Jim.

I did mean the faders in GT Pro. Audiophile faders are all max so I'll try using some pre amp.

The instruction book with GT Pro says to plug the guitar straight into the sound card, but I understand what you're saying.

Would using the headphone output on my amp plugged into the sound card do? How does one 'pre amp ' their guitar?

Do I need more hardware of some sort?
    Jim Kalinowski
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 296
    RE: Newbie having problems.... 2005/08/23 10:57:55 (permalink)
    fanlee,

The GT manual shows a guitar being plugged into a mic input on a sound card (not sure if the manual actually says its a mic input). Mic inputs have a built-in preamp (not a very good one). You could buy some sort of DI (Direct In) box. It will have a preamp and boost the input signal to line-level. I use an amp modeller, and that acts as a preamp. You could also buy a mixer (the Yamaha MG series is very good) and plug into that. It will act as a preamp.

If you're trying to record your amp, you could buy a mic (an SM57 is the favorite for micing amps), a premap for the mic, and record that way.

You can try the phone output on the amp. It's probably line-level, or slightly hotter. If you can adjust the level, then turn it all the way down, and then slowly up until you get a good level.

One more thing, the 2496 card has an adjustable input level. I think by default it's set to "consumer", which is -10db line-level. You can adjust it to "pro", which is +4db. Whatever device you use, try to find out the signal level and adjust the card accordingly (you make the adjustement on the Hardware tab of the 2496 control panel). My gear is routed through a Yamaha mixer, and I use the AUX bus on the mixer to send to my 2496 card. The AUX is +4db, so I have the card set to pro level.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1